• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 23, 2020

    Do you feel that players extremely criticise video games currently?

    Do you feel that players extremely criticise video games currently?


    Do you feel that players extremely criticise video games currently?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 06:14 AM PST

    Thanks to steam, suddenly everyone is a game critic right now, and it doesn't take much to piss them off.

    This is understandable when a game is bad, but many will leave a negative review just if the game doesn't have one option or something doesn't work perfectly all the time, or they wanted something to be done slightly differently that the developer made.

    On the same game you can find reviews like: this game is too short, this game is too long, takes too much time to level up, doesn't take enough time to level up.

    I have seen a comment saying something along these lines: "I am not that big into platformers but this game is way too hard, i think it is good only if you are super into extremely hard platformers" on a game which advertises itself as an extremely hard platformer.

    If he doesn't like platformers, and they say the platformer is really hard, and he doesn't want a hard platformer, why buy it and then leave negative review? Does it mean the game is bad? No, just it is not for him.

    I feel like people are extremely harsh on game developers.

    submitted by /u/Neomex
    [link] [comments]

    After years in the industry I don't think I want to work at a AAA game studio anymore

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 09:13 AM PST

    Today as I looked in my inbox I received an email approaching me to work for one of a large AAA game publishers many studio subsidiaries on a fun new first person shooter which has some industry veterans from big other legendary industry games helming the studio .

    Like many of you I've grown up loving videogames, consumed by reading , talking about , playing , and studying games and the game development process. I went to college to get a degree in game development and after graduating managed to land a job .

    For years I worked on Mobile game titles and then more recently my carer has transitioned to working in Virtual Reality gaming .

    It's been a wild ride , To this day I lvoe videogames. They are my number one financial cost, my number one time sink , my number one time investment and focus . Most of my friends are progressional game devs too , I mark GDC and E3 on my calendar as must attend events , Since I began working almost a decade ago I've gone to at least one or the other every single year .

    and yet as I looked at my inbox today and observed a recruiter approaching me to work on easily the biggest game , alongside the biggest publisher, on i'm sure the biggest team of my career .. I felt ..... nothing . I've been approached by AAA studios before and always felt an excitement , an enthusiasm, a drive to finally help leave my mark on the game industry but now that I'm older that all seems so unappealing .

    I've written so much code, I've helped publish so many titles, and released so many projects and that "stamp" I used to need from a AAA game dev that showed I was a REAL game developer has kind of gone away .... I know and have met people form those environments and whilst incredibly talented it's kind of amusing how... blasé the whole thing seems after a while . In fact I feel like I've seen developers who work at these studios and kind of ... lose themselves in the process ..... any blah blah blah .

    I wrote all of this just to kind of share that in my older age when I finally have the skills and experience to be approached and possibly succeed in such an environment I feel.... disinterested in AAA game development . I will love playing and experiencing those games forever but I feel like chasing that dream I had of trying to be on someones game dev mount rushmore and doing it by working on the biggest grandest game ever has gone away .

    Have any other game devs encountered this feeling ? It's new to me and I'm not sure what to think of it .

    submitted by /u/CaliforniaGameDev88
    [link] [comments]

    Any tutorials on how to achieve a chibi anime/cartoonish texture 3d model?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 12:34 AM PST

    Any tutorials on how to achieve a chibi anime/cartoonish texture 3d model?

    I'm decent on modeling 3D but I'm really bad at hand painting textures, so I want to learn to achieve this result:

    https://www.deviantart.com/eelgod/art/Yarian-455034712

    Do you guys know any tutorials or tips on how I can paint like that?

    submitted by /u/Unkopath
    [link] [comments]

    GDPR when you don't store any data.

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 05:04 AM PST

    I have a game that I've recently publish on Google store, and if I understand their policies correct, I need to have a GDPR statement reachable on my web-page to allow this game being pushed to humans below age 13.

    - My app stores game progress on their devices (score, last selected colour theme, best scores, etc)

    - I don't transmit or store anything at my own systems. The app does not make any attempt at outgoing communication at all. None of the permissions are used. The app doesn't serve ads. The app is free to download, use, redistribute, etc.

    - Since it is on Google Playstore, they do their usual tracking and monitoring (analytics?) - but I am guessing that is covered by their GDRP?

    So, my question. I don't really need a GDPR, but apparently I need a statement saying that I don't store anything. Are there easy GDPR generators (free) out there that can be used to create such a text? Or is it enough to just write something similar to what I wrote above? If I don't store anything, do I still have to ask for concent? (for not storing anything.)

    submitted by /u/bloodwire
    [link] [comments]

    Free Music for games

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 06:52 AM PST

    Hi,

    I'm an aspiring game music and media content producer/sound designer and I recently created this profile on OpenGameArt to release my free music on. Check it out and tell me what you think. All music is royalty free and free to use under CC BY-SA for both personal and commercial projects

    https://opengameart.org/users/iamoneabe

    submitted by /u/iamoneabe
    [link] [comments]

    Calling game devs from all around the world: what is the industry like in your country?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 06:40 AM PST

    Hey guys, I'm very interested in how gamedev looks like around the globe. So I prepared a list of questions that you can answer about your country if you feel like it, plus any other comments you can have.

    1. Which country are you from?
    2. Is gamedev a big industry? Is it growing?
    3. Any popular titles from your country?
    4. Any big studios you can name?
    5. How's the work culture? Do you work a lot of overtime? Do you have job security? How's the money?
    6. Is there any particular gamedev-related outsource your country specializes in?
    7. Are games commonly localized into your language?
    8. What games are popular in your country?

    I'm really curious about your answers!

    submitted by /u/Trivi4
    [link] [comments]

    For those devs with a Steam page set up

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 09:26 AM PST

    Hello. I often read devs saying to set up the Steam page as early as possible so my questions are: What is "early" for you? What % of your game was finished by the time you set up the Steam page? If the game was released already, you think you set up the page too early/late? If there's any other insight you can share about your experience, go for it.

    I've never published a game on Steam (or anywhere else for that matter) but I'm hoping to do it this year and the "setting up the Steam page as early as possible" always makes me curious about how other developers approach this topic.

    submitted by /u/_mday
    [link] [comments]

    This could be a very epic item in an RPG

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 12:09 PM PST

    Programming inside of a Game

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 06:23 AM PST

    Im in the process of building a game engine for a 2D game in C++, and before I get too far down the rabbit hole, I wanted to see if anyone would know how to handle programming inside of the game.

    Basically I want the player to be able to interact with and "edit" the code of other objects in the game. By edit I mean either apply scripts to objects to make them behave differently or actually edit the base code of the objects (this second option seems impossible since it would need to recompile). I've been trying to wrap my head around this and I haven't come up with any great solutions. If anyone has any ideas or ways to go about this help would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/skbrown333
    [link] [comments]

    What game would you make if you had no restrictions?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 09:13 AM PST

    So no time/skill/money/... restrictions.

    I would personally love to make a realistic D&D single-player experience.

    submitted by /u/BloomingBonsai
    [link] [comments]

    Is anyone actyually using Project Acoustics?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 11:23 AM PST

    Does anyone else start on environment before nailing down mechanics/story?

    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 11:15 PM PST

    I'm working on a ps1 aesthetic kind of game. In my experience, nailing down the aesthetic and artistic feel of the game kickstarts the creative juices. Does anyone else work this way?

    I used a ps1 style shader and made some models in that style (trees and a character). This set an aesthetic that is kickstarting story ideas.

    submitted by /u/HitoLunai
    [link] [comments]

    Starting to dev a fighting game

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 11:01 AM PST

    Hi guys,

    Im choosing a genre for my first game, and Im leaning towards a 3D fighting game,something like tekken, and i know tekken uses UE4.

    Wich engine would you guys reccomend? And are fighting games really that hard compared to other genres?

    submitted by /u/PauloSecundino
    [link] [comments]

    How do you make a Ninja Stealth Theme Platformer Interesting?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 03:46 AM PST

    I'm working on a mobile game and right now I'm developing the "Game feel" in my platformer.

    Just quick tips or suggestions as to what makes a game interesting? Music? Graphics or the enviorment?

    Edit: Thanks a lot guys for your replies

    submitted by /u/Galaxy_Gaming_
    [link] [comments]

    In C#, what exactly is the difference between a for and a while loop? Help is appreciated ��

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 09:32 AM PST

    The question is above, if you could try and answer it with an example, I'd be endlessly grateful. Please make it beginner friendly.

    submitted by /u/Old-Significance
    [link] [comments]

    Don't know where to start a game

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 12:25 PM PST

    I recently came up with the idea that I want to make a game.

    The thing is that I'm overwhelmed with features but I don't know where to start.

    I know that most of the time I should just start, but then I think that I need to build small things to keep me motivated, think about the future features, don't put in too much, and so on.

    If so, would you mind sharing your ideas on how to start planning, which things to focus on, what were your experiences, or simply how to start?

    PS: Do you know any good alternative to Milanote?

    submitted by /u/sotech10
    [link] [comments]

    What do you do with short, complete games?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 11:58 AM PST

    2D Raycasting - Simple and concise beginner tutorial! Unity3D

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 11:51 AM PST

    A short video demonstrating how to use 2D Raycasting with Unity3D! Hopefully someone will find this helpful!

    Link to Video!

    submitted by /u/Gavbok
    [link] [comments]

    How to deal with pirates

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 11:32 AM PST

    May seem usless and a waste of time or unprofessional but if you don't have a company, there is nothing to do.

    1- if your game is big, sue them.

    2-serial keys, maybe easy to Crack but most paid games don't need a serial key to activate, any multi-player pirated game will not work sincs its conected to the pirate server and not the game server, make it connect to your server to confirm.

    3-saftey systems, try.

    4- locked, what makes people run your game without the need of steam, is replacing steam files, aka codex files, 3 dlls, replace and boom the game is pirated, you can't prevnt people from uploading the game files online, but you can lock the folder, make it only accessible using a specific uncrackable pass, think smart, sheep drinking mud from laptop, that password will take billions of years to Crack, but now it takes 3 sec if they have reddit.

    5- your no diff than gta 4, when the game detects a broken security system Bec of the pirate, make it annoy them or lock.

    6- be careful on the internet.

    7- don't make a simple game expensive af so people pirate it, fair the price, frequently make discounts, if your famous, thats no diff, steam adds a protective case to the game, no steam people can upload the game files online and its over.

    8-detect the source, collect info, sue them, you proably Will win since pirating is illegal, but if your a dude who makes games on ur bed, don't try.

    9- I need karma

    10- try to make your files harder to be on the internet, encrypt, add 2 serial keys, 1 for setup 1 for game, make it unable to activate if it's not conected to you server, when un activated, use your mind and troll.

    Proably will never deal with pirate, but put in mind at least 3 of what's on this list

    submitted by /u/pizza_no_crust
    [link] [comments]

    Design Question: If Minecraft didn't have blocks, how would you go about designing a building system for it?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 11:22 AM PST

    Hey guys, I've been experimenting with cube marching and was having trouble coming up with a building system that would give the player the greatest amount of control over the world while still being intuitive. If you don't know what cube marching is exactly, just think Minecraft without blocks, and much more detail. Cube marching can approximate any shape. I want to give the player the same amount of building creativity as Minecraft while still being simple and intuitive. Any ideas? I know this is a broad question, if any more info is needed just ask. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Turtled2
    [link] [comments]

    Steam sales to user review conversion rates

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 11:17 AM PST

    I've been seeing alot of talk about the review to sales conversion rate on Steam.

    Mostly tweets from developers/publishers of successful games.

    Mike Rose - https://twitter.com/RaveofRavendale/status/1219935842338246656

    Bennett Foddy - https://twitter.com/bfod/status/1219859832796274688

    Intrigued to know if this matches up with any smaller devs on here. You don't have to reveal game names but I feel like genre would be an interesting metric too.

    Our game

    Genre - Local coop party

    Sales to review - 80:1

    I will mention that those reviews are all positive - Would be good to know this ratio too I guess?

    submitted by /u/Youles
    [link] [comments]

    What questions are suspected to be on a technical C++ / C# assignment for a Co-Op position?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 11:14 AM PST

    I'm really nervous about the game development co-op positions I am currently interviewing for. I have answered technical questions before but never had to do a written assignment. I'm pretty well versed in C# but very rusty in C++ as I haven't needed to use it in years. I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out what kind of technical C++ / C# questions are expected on a technical assignment for a Co-Op. Also, does anyone know of a website similar to Kattis where you can complete questions of various difficulties but in relation to the field of game development instead of general programming knowledge? Or a website that lists common questions asked on technical assignments for co-op game dev positions? Thanks in advance for any help you have to offer!

    submitted by /u/ThwartedRomantic
    [link] [comments]

    How to tackle different aspect ratios? 1 app for all ASPECT RATIOS ? how do i achieve this?

    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 12:28 AM PST

    Is there any tool / script / unity asset that i can use to achieve this ? (16:9 , 18:9 , 39:18 and many more)

    Currently i use Auto LetterBox : https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/camera/auto-letterbox-56814

    but this asset creates a black border ....is there any way to just resize everything to fit properly to the screen?

    submitted by /u/Lochan7000
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment