• Breaking News

    Saturday, January 11, 2020

    Craft.js - Build any page editor with React 🔥 web developers

    Craft.js - Build any page editor with React �� web developers


    Craft.js - Build any page editor with React ��

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 03:50 AM PST

    This is my portfolio/personal site, what do you think?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 09:33 AM PST

    Just finished my portfolio and I would love some feedback and suggestions. https://susogarcia.me/

    My main objective here was to make a minimal but good-looking and mobile-first design.

    submitted by /u/SusoGarcia
    [link] [comments]

    My first site

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 01:18 PM PST

    I've been teaching myself some basic html, css and js with the help of a friend since June. I'm looking to get into programming as a career and would like for this site to be a part of my portfolio when I start applying for jobs soon.

    I would be really grateful for any feedback you guys can give me, or any tips on how I can improve the site.

    Thank you in advance for your tips!

    http://www.healthmove.co.uk/

    submitted by /u/evrthingislove
    [link] [comments]

    Profile Cards | HTML, CSS and JavaScript

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 03:38 PM PST

    I've created a free chord search tool using Gatsby.js to search through every possible chord imaginable

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 10:49 PM PST

    How to choose between templating vs REST api?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 04:23 PM PST

    I was thinking about investing some time in learning php and laravel, but I'm wondering if templating is even necessary considering REST api can take over most of that work. I was wondering, in which use cases would templating be the superior page rendering method?

    submitted by /u/slumpedjesus
    [link] [comments]

    I created a word suggestions API to use on a couple different projects. This was the first API I ever developed.

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 04:43 PM PST

    Have interview Wednesday at small startup. Do you think I should take it even tho I haven't even started learning javascript yet?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 02:34 PM PST

    Hey so last year I had started self teaching myself html and css for say 2months only. Then I pretty much stopped practicing and learning.

    A few weeks ago on Christmas a good friend of mine told me her uncle runs a small startup company that uses an app to track business's fire safety and are looking for software developers. She kept insisting and got me an interview with her uncle.

    He emailed me and I let it be very clear before we even scheduled an interview that I only learned a little bit of html and css, zero javascript. The last thing I want to do is waste his time at an interview only to realize I am extremely underqualified.

    He replied back saying he appreciates the honesty and still wants me to come in for an interview to see if there is any kind of fit for me at the company. I even told him I believe I am underqualified to be a software developer lol and would even consider working for free / intern.

    I am extremely anxious and nervous thinking I'm just going to make a fool of myself there and him seeing just how little I rly know. Just want to hear what you guys think I should do or if I should be seeing this in any other way. Here is my website vlad.dev

    Again I prob only have 2 months max of self teaching almost a year ago. I took a huge break and just started catching up on html and css this week.

    submitted by /u/12_Rules_For_Life
    [link] [comments]

    Website Builder using LinkedIn

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 06:34 AM PST

    Hey guys, a small group of uni students and I have been working on this for about 2 months and we were wondering if you have any tips or general advice on what could be changed, what looks good etc, just some general feedback.

    https://www.swwwyft.com/

    submitted by /u/DreDcs
    [link] [comments]

    Isometric progress or fill level display web component [Waterbox]

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 11:53 AM PST

    Full-stack web development ebook

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 05:15 PM PST

    I came across an amazing book yesterday for full-stack web development. It was a website and the book could be downloaded as a pdf as well as an epub ebook. The book had links to relevant YouTube videos as well as other articles inside its chapters.

    The thing is, I'm sure I downloaded it on my phone, but I can't find it. I also couldn't find the Reddit post that led me to the book. and since my YouTube and browsers don't store history, I can't find it there as well.

    Does anyone know about the book? Please comment the link. Thank you.

    Someone shared the link. Its https://frontendmasters.com/books/front-end-handbook/2019/

    And it's a book for Front-end, not Full stack, sorry for confusion

    submitted by /u/MomentaryStability
    [link] [comments]

    I want to know, what are some websites you all use to test your website's performance and optimization?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 09:48 AM PST

    I want to know the different tools from the community to see which ones you all personally use or favor when it comes to testing out your sites?

    submitted by /u/tycooperaow
    [link] [comments]

    Webcomponent analysis on the train.

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 05:41 AM PST

    Please poke holes, critique, and rip my app idea to shreds...

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 04:32 PM PST

    NALT app (stands for "Not A Long Time")

    An app for when you're on vacation or planning a vacation(or even if you are bored in your home town really) and want people/businesses to solicit you with fun things to do.

    Some solicitations will be personal messages directed personally to you based on your preferences, demographics, dates when you will be in town, or as a response to your profile. Some will be automated deals and events that are always running in town. Also normal people can message you to hang out or that want to take a tourist visiting their city on date or want to party with tourists etc. This option can be disabled, you can only be contacted by businesses if you'd like.

    Your exact location and info will never be given. Solicitors need to give identification like an Airbnb type of process for safety or figure out another safety alternative.(maybe check how couchsurfer does it, profile reviews)

    Marketing wise, Start with one city or niche thing to do and then move on to the next big neighboring city or niche.

    submitted by /u/iwviw
    [link] [comments]

    Wordpress VS. Coding From Scratch

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 04:19 PM PST

    What's better for being a digital nomad?

    Is Wordpress like taking a shortcut?

    I find Wordpress to be much easier to learn and less time consuming. I'm trying to leave my warehouse job and work from home or something.

    One of my friends told me not to look for shortcuts in life.

    submitted by /u/TheJusa
    [link] [comments]

    Building a Video and Image Gallery with elgg

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 04:04 PM PST

    I work for a startup and I am the only Frontend person here. I have been assigned the task of assembling a team, by the Tech lead, so how do I proceed with this?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 10:35 PM PST

    We have a guy, who has react experience coming in, and I work only onHTML, CSS, JS.

    Our products are our apps, and web is more of a support structure to that, plus accompanying website for the company.

    (Video and video sharing based apps, and same for web. )

    How do I plan this out? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Rhymezboy
    [link] [comments]

    Loop - a visual customer feedback tool (link in comments)

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 03:49 PM PST

    I made a web app, How do I make money with it?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 09:45 AM PST

    I made a web app with Node, Express, and Socket.io.

    I have the app running and working on my VSCode with my localhost server. How do I make this app publicly available?

    Heroku? if so can I run ads off a Heroku site?

    If i wanted to make it available for download for a price, how would I do that?

    does anyone have any experience with this more business side of web apps? Can anyone provide any links, resources that could point me in the right direction?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/brainfreezen
    [link] [comments]

    Yes that’s right, another portfolio website

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 03:26 PM PST

    Hi everyone, I only really just started getting deep into front end web development and I'm really enjoying it at the moment. I decided to make a portfolio website out of React that was fun and interactive to use.

    You can view it here: https://alex-pham.com

    Any constructive criticism is welcome. There are also some things I would like help on if anyone has solutions with:

    • The skills section. I spent a long time on trying to get everything formatted but on some dimensions it screws up (specifically landscape mode for phones). Does anyone have recommendations/solutions on fixing this?
    • The main animation for my name at the top seems to take a while to finish and I don't expect anyone to sit through it. Should I shorten it?

    Any other additions or help would be appreciated. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/baapham
    [link] [comments]

    I created a growing playlist of JavaScript concepts video tutorials; looking for feedback and additional concepts!

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 09:15 AM PST

    So far the playlist contains a relatively random smattering of topics that are either foundational to the language or otherwise trip people up. I'd love to hear what you think and what other concepts should go on the list!

    Tutorial Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLITOO2g_PUHS0RFJtHjnzTiUIWoCJopY-

    Concepts thus far:

    • Asynchronousity
    • Memoization
    • First-Class Functions
    • Test-Driven Development
    • Pure Functions
    • Imperative vs. Declarative

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/garboooge
    [link] [comments]

    Designer, Dev, Photographer here, just redesigned my portfolio in React and would love your creative criticism!

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 03:06 PM PST

    Just redesigned my site for the billionth time because I'm indecisive as heck: https://sathyaram.com

    Would love for you to judge the crap out of it: the design, responsiveness, cool factor, code, and usability.

    I live on sites like dribbble and awwwards so I know it's not at that caliber yet but do tell me your thoughts!

    Thank you so much! :)

    submitted by /u/BrownAdventurer
    [link] [comments]

    Vultr or Upcloud for Database and App Servers?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 02:59 PM PST

    I'm exploring other providers after using Digital Ocean for several years, mainly narrowed them down to Vultr and Upcloud for their better CPU and IO performance at the same price point.

    My current deployment involves 2 servers with private networking.

    1. PostgreSQL with 5-10k of INSERT queries per second, writing at 20 MB/s, 400 IOPS with 40% avg CPU load. Database is flushed everyday to a remote server so 25 GB of storage is sufficient for this database server. Runs on 1 vCPU and 1 GB RAM.

    2. App receiving data at 5 Mbps sustained, processing it (70% avg CPU load) and sending the results to server #1 through the private network at 1 Mbps. The monthly ingress will be about 3 TB. Runs on 1 vCPU and 1 GB RAM.

    Which provider will be more suitable for this deployment?

    Also, how does Vultr and Upcloud calculate the network transfers before going into overage pricing? I know that Digital Ocean adds up the monthly transfer quota of all the droplets in your account, instead of giving each droplet its own quota.

    Lastly, what is the network speed when communicating between servers on the same private network, and is this transfer being metered?

    Been very confused, thank you for any help at all!

    Edit: The incoming data is expected to double, and I intend to scale out the app servers to two single-core servers than have a single 2-core server. This also means that I might have to scale up the database server, likely a larger server to avoid dealing with distributed databases at this stage.

    submitted by /u/xynyxyn
    [link] [comments]

    Bootstrap Breakpoints and Mobile Browsers

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 02:44 PM PST

    So I pulled up the website I'm working on on an actual mobile browser today for the first time and realized a huge problem. Up until this point I have been developing using bootstrap 4 with the assumption that the breakpoints described in the documentation (xs to lg), would correlate to their described devices, i.e. the xs small breakpoint is what a mobile browser would use. However, when I view the site on an iPhone 8 or XS Max it goes to the md breakpoint, which I had designed for the tab let size.

    Im assuming this is a common modern problem with a few different solutions, but apparently I cant put the right search into google to describe my issue. Is there a way for me to define, on the server side, what breakpoint a browser should be using based off the device itself? Rather than purely on the pixel width of the screen? Is there another solution to this issue that I am missing?

    TL;DR: How do I get my website to display the xs Bootsrap breakpoint when viewed on a mobile device rather then the md or lg breakpoint that its currently showing?

    SOLUTION: Turns out that the logical viewport that phones use relies on a meta tag in the header. If the tags missing, the media queries wont work right. The tag is:

    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

    submitted by /u/fishbowl88
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best way to go about making a script run faster? AWS?

    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 08:32 AM PST

    Hello all,

    I've got a raspberry pi 4 running a LAMP server - linux, apache, mysql, php. No visitors - it's for personal use. I've got everything running how I'd like it, except I have one bottleneck. An important script takes about 2-3 minutes to complete. Code is written efficiently as can be.

    Is AWS the answer? Renting out more computer power?

    Not sure at all where to go with my issue, so any insight is appreciated! Thanks.

    Edit: I'd prefer not to post the whole code. But here is the idea. It gets stock option data from an api. For each stock in my stock list, it makes a request to the api. Each response from the api is a massive json response. Unfortunately the elements that I need for my database are deeply nested in this json. And there are MANY elements to retrieve. This has been running for a few months and it pulls 50,000 row entries each time the script runs. Every time I run the script to update, it truncates the previous 50,000 entries, and updates with new ones. The idea is to have up-to-date info constantly. So, I currently run the script every 10 minutes.

    The script to analyze these elements results in a ton of foreach loops, so something like this:

    Stocklist = array(stock1, stock2, stock3)

    foreach ($array as $inArr){

    foreach ($inArr as $inArr1){

    foreach ($inArr1 as $inArr2){

    foreach ($inArr2 as $key=>$inArr3){

    foreach($inArr3 as $key=>$inArr4){

    if ($key === 'bid'){

    $bid = $inArr4;

    }

    I know this is the bottleneck, because the more stocks in my list, the longer it takes. It has to do this foreach structure for each stock, which has its own json response. 1 stock takes about 2 seconds, while 30 stocks takes 2-3 mins.

    submitted by /u/satowj
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment