• Breaking News

    Sunday, January 19, 2020

    Anybody with npm packages that need TypeScript type declaration files? web developers

    Anybody with npm packages that need TypeScript type declaration files? web developers


    Anybody with npm packages that need TypeScript type declaration files?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 02:50 AM PST

    I'm looking to contribute to other people's projects and would like to add type declaration files to npm packages so that TypeScript developers will be able to utilise its power when using those packages. If anybody needs type declaration files for their projects, hit me up.

    EDIT: Thanks to all you guys who have shared your projects asking for help.

    submitted by /u/realKeirStarmer
    [link] [comments]

    Client wants to pay after 60 days

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 08:10 AM PST

    I have a new web dev client who wants 4 hours a week work but the can only pay 60 days after invoice. Is this normal?

    submitted by /u/chraromojo
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone has a React project to contribute to?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 01:36 PM PST

    I'd love to start 2020 by giving back :)

    submitted by /u/abdulmdiaz
    [link] [comments]

    Just finished a coding bootcamp. What are some in demand skills/software that I can learn to separate myself and get that first job?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 01:35 PM PST

    Video detection of hands making a heart

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 02:50 PM PST

    My boss wants me to see if it's possible to use video detection to detect someone making a heart shape with their hands. Is this something that can be done easily with an existing API? I just don't know where to start. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Minds3ye
    [link] [comments]

    Is skillshare a good learning resource?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 02:41 PM PST

    I have used treehouse previously but I need to save some money, and skillshare seems to be a good price. However, from having a quick browse it looks like there are a lot of the same courses and they may not all be up to date. Has anyone used it or can you recommend anything else?

    I want to learn javascript for the most part but also little bits of advanced CSS.

    submitted by /u/Mike43237
    [link] [comments]

    Best DBAL for accessing a very custom MySQL schema under Symfony?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 01:41 PM PST

    Hi All. I'm building a reporting interface using Symfony to access an existing MySQL database that I've had running for about a year. The database is being populated with data and has a very custom schema including tight foreign key constraints.

    After a very brief look into Doctrine, I see that it wants the schema/objects defined in annotations or in code. I'm sure it allows custom queries to be run against a database without the above, but I don't want to feel like I'm putting a square peg in a round hole.

    Other than directly accessing the database via standard PHP functions, do you have any recommendation for a lightweight, popular and well-maintained DBAL that's available with composer/symfony and suitable to my task?

    submitted by /u/boxcomp
    [link] [comments]

    Professional web devs, how often do you still use SSH to manage a remote/live server?

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 04:48 PM PST

    This is probably a big one, but I don't have much exposure to cloud hosting as a professional. I don't know what the difference is between "cloud hosting" and hosting a website on a dedicated server.

    My extent to managing live servers is mostly limited to SSH-ing to remote machines to modify files in place, or do a few server tune-ups. And using a GUI like Plesk to get a more birds eye view, and to set up DNS's and databases. Do most web devs still do this regularly?

    But I wouldn't know how to use containers to replicate a server environment, in order to make deployment and security patches simple across many machines. Or how to load balance duplicates of a web service (which sound like mini web apps to me, right?).

    submitted by /u/ccricers
    [link] [comments]

    When to start learning js ?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 04:42 PM PST

    Hi so I just finished Brad Traversy course html CSS + sass and it's might be a stupid question everybody is different but when I should start learning js I done some few very simple websites with flexbox 1 with grid so far none with sass should I do now like 10 kinda big projects with all my skills or maybe practice for a month ?

    submitted by /u/Virandell
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to host a webapp?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 04:41 PM PST

    Hey, everyone, long time lurker here. Does anyone have any good suggestions for where/how to host/deploy a webapp made with React? I'm thinking relatively smaller project, but with opportunities for scalability in the long run. I've dabbled with hosting at godaddy and one.com before, but I've always felt like I'm missing out on a better solution somehow..

    submitted by /u/patrickauri
    [link] [comments]

    How do you use and create a package.json?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 04:36 PM PST

    Recently created the node app 'deploydo'. A tool to deploy a project to FTP or SFTP.

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 05:31 AM PST

    I work at mid sized ad agency and we are just a small team of web devs. We mostly create small projects without or with small backends.

    We deploy our projects just via FTP or SFTP and we recently had an issue where we deployed the wrong version on the wrong server and we noticed that too late.

    I decided to automate the process but found nothing that works 100% for our use cases. So we just created a small tool to do that for us.

    Before the process starts it lists the current branch/repo and source and remote directory, so that you can have a final check before it starts the deployment.

    You can have different deployment targets in one config file. For example for staging and production.

    Additionally you can add a build command if the project should build before upload. E.g. 'npm run build'

    I will add include and exclude files option in the next release.

    https://github.com/stylefieber/deploydo

    https://www.npmjs.com/package/deploydo

    submitted by /u/le_fieber
    [link] [comments]

    Lightweight Knockout alternative

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 12:35 PM PST

    I finally added customizable syntax to my lightweight, component-oriented take on KnockoutJS.

    It has a footprint 51kb less and performs faster

    https://github.com/tamb/domponent

    submitted by /u/thesadburrito
    [link] [comments]

    Does having an AS degree limit your salary as a Web Dev?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 12:24 PM PST

    Assuming you don't care to work for a big company, will having an associate's degree limit your future income as a web developer? I have a bachelor's degree in health sciences and I want to transfer into web development work.

    submitted by /u/We_Broke_Up
    [link] [comments]

    Should I learn to touch type before learning to code?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 12:14 PM PST

    I have been given the opportunity by my company for them to pay for some online coding classes for me. Potential problem is that type I relatively slowly and have to look at the keyboard. Should I put off starting the classes for a month or so and learn to touch type, or just jump right in? Thanks in advance for any responses!

    Edit: grammar

    submitted by /u/Kingcuff
    [link] [comments]

    How to debug node app on startup [vscode]?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 12:01 PM PST

    I am currently using vscode to debug an express app, but I want to set breakpoints on startup and not after the process has started..

    My launch.json config is as follows:

    { "version": "0.2.0", "configurations": [ { "type": "node", "request": "attach", "name": "Attach by Process ID", "processId": "${command:PickProcess}" }, { "type": "node", "request": "launch", "name": "Launch Program", "program": "${workspaceFolder}/api/" } ] } 
    submitted by /u/s1eeper21
    [link] [comments]

    Full stack twitter type app using postgres, react, saga, redux, how can i make this more secure ?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 11:51 AM PST

    I shared this on another sub, but wanted to see if anyone on here can test this out, give me constructive criticism, how can i make this more secure, etc.

    I currently do not like the way i set the typescript backend. I want a more cleaner sequelize typescript library that allows you to easily do migrations. But anyways here is the demo. Hopefully you can learn from this, and you can provide feedback.

    https://warm-spire-79752.herokuapp.com

    code

    This app lets you do the following, google oauth is still pending.

    • Sign Up
    • Login
    • Add a post
    • Add a commnet
    • Add a like
    • Unlike
    • Edit profile
    • Docker friendly(last time i tested it)

    Upcoming features,

    • adding a scollbar to comments section
    • delete a comment(done)
    • New post form validations(done)
    • GIY comment integration(done)
    • maybe edit a post(maybeeee)
    • Followers

    Let me know what you guy think, and let me know how i can make this application more secure, etc. I'm also open to cool projects, and react work.

    submitted by /u/EliHood
    [link] [comments]

    How do I measure the height of each dynamic sized item while making a virtual scroller

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 10:28 PM PST

    • I am trying to build a virtual scroller with dynamic height items
    • Yea i saw the libraries but call it a learning experience so not using any libs
    • The idea of the virtual scroller is to keep only N items in the DOM tree of a very large list and recycle
    • if each item has a different height, how do I handle this
    • There are a couple of approaches it seems
      • Render all items off screen or something, get each of their heights
      • Assign a fixed height to each element (not a fan of this to be honest as i have dynamic titles coming in from an API in the real case where I am trying to do things)
    • Isn't there any better way of handling this?
    submitted by /u/mypirateapp
    [link] [comments]

    SnippetDepot - Enabling real-time fetching of snippets from our community-driven repository

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 11:06 AM PST

    How does github/gitlab/... and other version control-oriented sites work server-side?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 10:52 AM PST

    I was wondering, how do sites like github and etc. work with their version control systems? I'll admit, I don't know much about git beyond what your average dev knows, but for these sites, is it really as simple as setting up a git server and limiting access to different repos to different user accounts?

    I'm aware there are tools for managing multiple repos, I just wanna know how it might work on a very large scale, like with github and whatnot.

    (Sorry for asking in the wrong place btw, I figured this might be the best place.)

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/EighteenthVariable
    [link] [comments]

    To what extent does a BS degree impact your job prospects in comparison to an AS degree?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 10:37 AM PST

    I keep seeing that years of experience matter more than qualifications. But I also see a lot of jobs with 4 year degree requirements. A 2 year web dev associates degree is more practical, interesting, and has less bs theory and fluff as a BS degree, most of which you'll never use again. But, if you want to work remotely and have access to good opportunities, could having an AS degree limit your options? Let's assume that I didnt want to ever work for a big company.

    Does BS vs AS just stop mattering, 4-5 years in?

    submitted by /u/We_Broke_Up
    [link] [comments]

    Alternative responsive frameworks to Bootstrap? Or is BS still king?

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 09:58 AM PST

    Good morning all,

    Have the chance to build a website from scratch (the first in a while), and am wondering if there is anything that outshines bootstrap these days for responsive frameworks? And will be supported for a while to come?

    I would like to learn/check out something new, so any recommendations are appreciated. Have been using BS since it first came out, many years ago.

    submitted by /u/5TR34K
    [link] [comments]

    2 Triangle divs covering page

    Posted: 19 Jan 2020 09:29 AM PST

    2 Triangle divs covering page

    https://preview.redd.it/qaqz1v56rrb41.png?width=2028&format=png&auto=webp&s=cb407e8aa9299b0b4389dfcbd32e6def83fd5741

    How would I go about creating the image above in css? would also need to be responsive

    submitted by /u/oliknight1
    [link] [comments]

    Hi guys. I just finished a class on coding that taught me a lot about web developing. I know a lot about html, the basics and classes of css, and the basics of JavaScript. I wanna put my knowledge to the test so do you guys have any ideas on some project websites I can try?

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 06:55 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment