• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 2, 2020

    Another under60sec tutorial, this time on how to make transparent characters WITHOUT CODING. More tutorials like this on my twitter. Hope this helps! :) https://twitter.com/danielsantalla/status/1212766169381441537

    Another under60sec tutorial, this time on how to make transparent characters WITHOUT CODING. More tutorials like this on my twitter. Hope this helps! :) https://twitter.com/danielsantalla/status/1212766169381441537


    Another under60sec tutorial, this time on how to make transparent characters WITHOUT CODING. More tutorials like this on my twitter. Hope this helps! :) https://twitter.com/danielsantalla/status/1212766169381441537

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 10:22 AM PST

    CC-0 Pipes Tileset (Download in the comments)

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 03:35 AM PST

    The polygons of Another World

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 04:40 AM PST

    THIS is the quality of Customer Service you can expect from Unity... or how will they overcharge you VAT. Learn from others' problems!

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 07:24 AM PST

    THIS is the quality of Customer Service you can expect from Unity... or how will they overcharge you VAT. Learn from others' problems!

    Hi guys,

    To be honest**, I'm very upset right now, so please forgive me** for whatever consequences it will have on my post.

    I have a unity PLUS subscription for long years now and I'm located in Hungary. Earlier I used to work in my one-man LLC, now I'm a sole proprietor "entrepreneur". Since I have any subscriptions of UNITY they generated the same problems with my invoices again and again and again. yeah... and again!

    Problems which are coming back EVERY SINGLE YEAR are:

    • Not showing my VAT ID on invoices and other invoice related issues. (They very often don't even understand the difference between a receipt and an invoice).
    • Issuing me with VAT (tho they shouldn't, because in the EU businesses with a VAT ID are under a so-called "reverse taxation").
    • Not being able to buy a subscription on their site (random error message without explanation appearing at the same time)Not being able to activate my license in Unity (often the solution is to manually delete files on my system to be able to - lol).
    • Not reading what I write into the support tickets I send to them.

    The reasons are often different, but the results are the same. For example when they just redesigned their website, they "accidentally deleted" my VAT ID from their system. Oops!

    Because the tickets are very often not answered only after several days, and then you have to realize that they didn't even read them... I usually just message their "success team" on their website's chatbox, which is available on the page where you can manage subscriptions. This provided me instant or fast solutions in the last 2 years.

    What made me write this post this time... is that I was issued with 80 USD because of their bad system yet again**. Even tho I've contacted THEM before the purchase to BE SURE if everything is okay and this won't happen!** How funny is that? Of course they give no refunds!

    It is like that for long years, I can't even imagine a single year when I don't have problems with them.

    UNITY as a company is a joke honestly. While I like a lot of things in their engine (I'm not talking about the experimental things that they don't even finish ever - while not fixing basic functionality for long years) - their customer support is unacceptable.

    It is just impossible to tell you all the problems I've experienced in the past few years. I think some of them are only problems for people who are running their business from the EU where accounting laws are more strict than in the states or Australia etc. Also I may be unlucky as well... But just let me show a few fun pieces of stuff about this last one.

    THE STORY WITH PICTURES :)

    Now just let me show you some print screens.... Here is where this shortened story starts. I wanted to buy and activate a 1 year prepaid subscription, instead of the monthly one which was activated automatically BECAUSE OF an earlier issue... that I won't even describe here.

    https://preview.redd.it/vqolhlbzsd841.png?width=381&format=png&auto=webp&s=5799839c07f01de655eac337dc7430d3c02b7f79

    https://preview.redd.it/dpuujwf6zd841.png?width=381&format=png&auto=webp&s=0ed669c4a3c57e45e1e3f15740c87929a6967f61

    and so on... and so on...

    the guy was nice. But he instantly makes small mistakes like that:

    https://preview.redd.it/aui42tk5zd841.png?width=380&format=png&auto=webp&s=e692c87ede9fa086232d21c7a78f412e9b75f0a0

    Again... mentioning that at least my next invoice should be correct... (and it wasn't the last - I've even did that with the tickets which were later opened)

    https://preview.redd.it/wc8n6316td841.png?width=381&format=png&auto=webp&s=7f6c1397f1ed5260b0cb22bcd33c1282981e0b2d

    what happened after that? Their site didn't work, I was not able to renew my subscription... What a surprise... :)

    https://preview.redd.it/y09m5z58ld841.png?width=380&format=png&auto=webp&s=8018951a98c35a62b6ad47649c08698726190443

    https://preview.redd.it/9vvcxffhld841.png?width=373&format=png&auto=webp&s=10033a916ddff84424e8755661d8cab9432efdc1

    and so on... and so on...

    You might ask why I'm not using the ticketing system... Trust me, if you'd like to get solutions at least in a few weeks, then you need every help - customer support is not even reading what you write.

    So this guy created me a ticket eventually in hope of their support team will solve my issues - while he personally watches what will happen. (Last year Ashley was able to solve it RIGHT THERE, at the moment when I reported the issue... both last year and before that) - yet again a surprise she was promoted since then (which is a good thing - because she was always be able to help me asap). but unfortunately this also means that she is not available for us poor bastards anymore.

    Unfortunately, days were just passing and passing but I've got no response... so I've contacted them again. The first guy was unavailable at that time, so I had to explain everything yet again... until they've... yes... they've created yet another ticket. WHAT a fun thing to do! Time well spent, right?

    So after a week or so I was able to "renew my subscription on the site". But then my license was not working, I was not able to use it... So I went back to them via the chat...

    https://preview.redd.it/9waq6o9aqd841.png?width=378&format=png&auto=webp&s=39679fda258f6c66e7bb049e229e40e1ebf1df90

    Eventually, I was able to activate my license at least (by deleting files) - after new tickets.... BUT I was not able to pay this time :'D for my 1 year prepaid subscription. Later we found out that the problem was that they do not accept MAESTRO cards.

    So I had to create a PayPal account for my new business, too. (what I really didn't want to do btw - and they did not read my request of alternatives in yet another ticket... just provided a copy-paste answer...)

    So after the holidays, today I've created my new paypal account and I've paid for my one-year annually prepaid subscription. And guess what...

    I was issued with VAT and my VAT ID is not on my invoice... This means that if authorities check me now, they will punish me. Also this is 80 USD they I will never see again. Superb!

    https://preview.redd.it/mks3zvygsd841.png?width=1022&format=png&auto=webp&s=c49278e3c8759ca6c3c7e319e26ef18c5af2e21c

    The invoice is dated to dec 22th because since then I was not paying for it because of the holidays and the mentioned card issues. I just hoped that everything will be fine. (the site told me that I have time to pay for it until January 5th.I thought that YET again I will create a ticket what they will most likely not read (I mean, maybe they read the first few lines, and then they give me a CTRL+C & CTRL+V answer)... I started to type my problem and their website offered me an article. Here it is:

    https://support.unity3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/206398905?input_string=no+vat+id+on+my+invoice%2C+also+issued+by+vat+while+i%27ve+probided+a+european+vat+id%21

    After checking the links in this article I've found out that there is a page to set your:

    "Non seat-based subscriptions"

    Tho my PLUS license is a seat-based subscription as far as I know... Indeed, here the details of my entrepreneurship are OUTDATED. Because I've just switched to be a sole proprietor as I mentioned. And when I did that around 4 months ago, I've updated all the details I was able to find under my "organization" on their site, BUT this page was unmodified.

    Honestly, how should I even find this page normally? It is not linked to my organization or my profile where I should set up things. BUT under my organization, I've set up everything correctly.

    I have the impression that this year, this will be their excuse why I messed up things and why I won't be refunded.

    But heck, why their staff didn't check this page then when I asked them if everything is going to be okay or not? Let me answer this: because they are totally incompetent OR they do not care.

    And by the way... as I said the data here is "outdated". It means, that still here I have a VAT ID and an organization name... it is only the data of my LLC, and not my sole proprietorship. So they didn't put this data on the invoice then? (tho it would be still bad...)

    And this is really just a small part of this whole journay of mine with Unity.

    But I know that most of you are just not interested. If I start to share the ridiculous ticket answers as well, I could release a book.

    And just let me drop here the 1 million bucks question! Will my license work in my Unity software when I will start using it after that? I'm not bold enough to check it yet...

    TL;DR

    Unity can't make a working and transparent billing and subscription system. And their staff don't know what they are doing.

    submitted by /u/Progorion
    [link] [comments]

    raylib: 6 years working in this free and opensource gamedev library, my personal story behind it ��

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 03:42 AM PST

    Hey guys, I'm starting a free mini tutorial series/guide for the community which will show you how to create stylized game textures for your assets using Substance Painter. Wood, stone, skin, metal foliage and lots more. Today I'll be showing you my step by step process to create stylized stone.

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 02:43 PM PST

    Check out the guide here:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMORbrMCN0Q

    You may remember me as the guy who is making the 3D Artist's Coloring Book from a past a few weeks back.

    I'm going to be releasing stylized wood, cloth, skin, metal and bone in the next coming weeks, so make sure to subscribe to stay up to date as this series develops. This series is aimed at creating a library of resources you can reference to create any type of stylized material for your assets.

    Its a super simple process:

    1. Base Material
    2. Setting up your gradients
    3. Adding light dampening to control your roughness values
    4. Adding Grunge
    5. Ambient Occlusion pass

    And thats it! I love creating free content for this community and always receive really great feedback when I release some free stuff, so I hope you guys enjoy this one.

    Thomas

    submitted by /u/Illumii
    [link] [comments]

    Exploring the Tech and Design of Noita

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 08:29 AM PST

    How to keep a team motivated

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 09:54 AM PST

    Hello everyone. Happy New Year!

    A team of friends and I have been working on a Tower Defense/Delivery Game VERY PART TIME for the last 7 months. After an engine swap (GMS2 to Unity), it's getting to the point where I want to start putting together some kind of prototype/demo. My team wants the same thing, but they don't seem to be as passionate about the project as I am. I have been super patient with all them because we all work full time at different jobs, have lots going on, and no one is getting paid. When they do work, it's really good stuff, but those times are few and far between. I am a programmer, and I dont have a lot of skill in the art & music department, so losing them would make things a lot more difficult and a lot less fun. How do I keep the team motivated? If I can't, what should I do?

    TL;DR My team has lost some steam as dev has gone on. What can I do to motivate them?

    Thank you in advance! Have a good day!

    submitted by /u/richardsureman
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a text to speech program that can is decent enough to voice act for a game?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 09:22 AM PST

    Anyone know of a good voice acting software or website? Like I put text and then a fake voice actor says it and then there are options to adjust tone and stuff. What's a good one, if it exists? Ideally i'm looking for a free one, or at least way cheaper than actually hiring a voice actor.

    edit: something like this, but seems not available to public https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mO5b-PL8DE

    submitted by /u/unknown-pineapple
    [link] [comments]

    Rare locales in video games? From space to the deep sea, what locations are rare to see in games?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 09:38 AM PST

    We've had games take place in what seems like everywhere. From dreamworlds, to alien planets, shopping malls to office cubicles. What are some locations that we haven't explored in games?

    submitted by /u/sebasRez
    [link] [comments]

    How do you translate your game as an indie dev?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 12:56 AM PST

    Thanks a lot in advance! I want to know for a future project that will be complete/fully polished.

    Do you use translating software? Is there a place e.g. subreddit that people that will translate your game for you? What if that is not an option?

    Do you/How do you translate your itch.io page?

    Also, what languages do you recommend translating to first for you game? You might make it in English but if you had to tier what languages to support next, what would it be? What language groups are better for games in a way? I mean which has the largest group of people that would/could find your game?

    submitted by /u/CyanNinja58
    [link] [comments]

    What's a good way / place to find testers for your game?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 08:27 AM PST

    I've hit Pre-Alpha recently and could really use some feedback. However, in Reddits like these it's not allowed to self-promote, so I'm wondering which channels you guys use to find a playerbase willing to test your games.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/BaselineGames
    [link] [comments]

    Do you prefer premade fonts or make your own?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 12:45 AM PST

    Do you like to use free fonts online or make a custom font for your game or do you draw your text?

    Are there certain things that make you use one or another? Do you have a font/choice you like for certain game genres? Do you choose differently when you have multiple language support?

    submitted by /u/CyanNinja58
    [link] [comments]

    Any feedback on the soundtrack for a boss fight so far?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 12:02 PM PST

    Please criticise and be brutal, this is our first revision with a new music guy on the team and we'd love to hear your opinion and feedback :)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAz88xWD68s

    Also, if you do wanna leave suggestions etc, use either Reddit or YouTube but we'll be more likely to reply on YT

    Of course, try to enjoy the track so far :D

    submitted by /u/ZenHap
    [link] [comments]

    Understanding game design is a must for a game developer

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 11:42 PM PST

    Substance Painter Beginner Tutorial : Text & Font

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 07:36 AM PST

    Best engine for voxel game? (Opinion-Based question)

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 11:07 AM PST

    I'm currently creating a destructible, physics-based voxel game in c++ with ue4, and am wondering if I should use OpenGL to create my own mini-engine rather than using unreal.

    I am currently contemplating using OpenGL because it seems like I'm going to have issues with unreals mesh and physics systems, As I haven't figured out the best way to work around not using their solutions for physics (I want to have my own physics system). It just feels restricting to what I can do; If i'm wrong please correct me, because I don't want to put in all the work to create an engine if I dont have to (even if it will have very limited functionality, and sounds kinda fun tbh).

    submitted by /u/thombahm
    [link] [comments]

    Banishing Player And Designer Grind With Emergent AI And Procedural Content

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 07:19 AM PST

    2D Space Character Animation (Unity)

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 11:02 AM PST

    Hello guys! I'm new to game dev and stuff and I got really intrigued by this game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd2qG2dn_nY, is it a 2D game right? But with kinda 3D sprites or is it real 3D models? What is more interesting to me is the player movement animation, it does not only flip sides when moving into another direction, it kinda rotates, how to do something like that?

    submitted by /u/fisune
    [link] [comments]

    Tips for good melee combat “feel”

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 07:40 PM PST

    I'm making a game in the vein of nuclear throne, but with items and classes.

    I just started making my melee class and the basic combat feels weak. There will be skills to augment the combat but I think it's really important to get the basics right first.

    https://youtu.be/Xc2L6HHic1c

    Headphone warning: loud thud sound midway in.

    This is the result of a days work in fleshing out the basics of the class, and something is really missing.

    Should the character dash forward on attacks? It doesn't feel quite right taking control away.

    Should the animations be quicker or more snappy?

    WASD moves and the character always faces / strikes towards the mouse.

    Any tips on what I might be missing would be so so so appreciated!

    submitted by /u/burge4150
    [link] [comments]

    I wrote an article for aspiring webgame devs

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 06:32 PM PST

    Pricing and amount of content

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 10:02 AM PST

    I'm pretty close to releasing on steam, and I'm getting anxious about pricing/not having enough content (it's a roguelite so the amount of items and weapons is pretty important). I look at enter the gungeon that has over 300 of them and costs 15 bucks, while I'm around 60 and was planning on pricing my game at 10$. My fear is about getting negative reviews on release because of that, before having the time to expand the amount of content. Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Mald-
    [link] [comments]

    Have a few questions for some of yall!

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 08:25 AM PST

    1. I'm coding in UE4. I'm in my first year of computer science and I'm using it to grow my knowledge of c++ while also making something creative and fun. I'm watching some great tutorials however I'm finding that they're are alot of key words and such like "StaticMesh" and "createdefaultsuboject". Is there a resource I can use that shows me what each of these keywords mean?

    2. I'm creating a pixel art game however idk which resources to use to create pixel art. Any recommendations?

    EDIT: grammer

    submitted by /u/TREVOR10115
    [link] [comments]

    How did you become a game developer? Any advice on how to get started, what to study?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 04:36 AM PST

    I always wanted to become a game developer, but I'm very confused on how to get started.

    I was thinking about starting a little by myself, making small "test" games on a free software after watching some tutorials (as I see some people do), but I'm afraid of it just being a waste of time compared to what others do later in life.

    I'm also not sure about what to study after I finish school. I think I wanna get into game design rather than programming, but I'm not sure of what to actually do. Is there a specific university, are there cheaper and better courses, etc.?

    I'm sure I would love getting into game development, but I'm terrified by the fact that I don't understand how to get started yet.

    submitted by /u/PrinceofWrath
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment