• Breaking News

    Friday, January 17, 2020

    99 Textures with Substance Designer (Link in the comments)

    99 Textures with Substance Designer (Link in the comments)


    99 Textures with Substance Designer (Link in the comments)

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 07:57 AM PST

    Weekend Motivation

    Posted: 16 Jan 2020 06:55 PM PST

    You can break the chains. Near to finish my first game

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 10:36 AM PST

    I've made a tool called Smear FX to easily add smearing to animations.

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 09:18 AM PST

    Hey there!

    I've just released a tool that adds smearing to animations, with little to no effort and in a really fast way!

    It was born as a little tool just for myself, as I needed to add smearing to some weapon swings but I absolutely lack any artist capabilities and everything I tried look terrible. After some feedback I decided to polish the tool and add some more options and make it available to the public.

    Despite being a paid app (7.5usd until the end of January) there's a demo that includes all functionality except for exports.

    The tool is available on ItchIO ( https://codemanu.itch.io/smear-fx ) and hopefully soon on Steam too.

    I'm open to any kind of feedback and would love to hear opinions!

    Fun fact: The tool is developed in Game Maker Studio 2 :)

    submitted by /u/CodeManu
    [link] [comments]

    Yarn Spinner, the dialogue system behind Night in the Woods recently had it's 1.0 public release. Here is the creator talking about the crazy things he's been able to do with it.

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 07:05 AM PST

    Exclusive: Google is working to bring official Steam support to Chrome OS

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 09:27 AM PST

    Voxel Spaceship collection (Link in comment)

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 11:41 AM PST

    Here's part 3 of my low poly modular dungeon tutorial series. I explain the UV unwrapping process and benefits of using a centralized texture atlas in Blender. Then I'll show how to apply these materials in Unity. Full video in comments.

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 06:25 AM PST

    I’m not a dev or designer. Just a gamer... but I have an idea and I need to know where to start....

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 10:33 AM PST

    Hi! I'm a long time FPS player.

    I began with halo. And just kinda went in every direction in terms of the shooters I've played.

    I pretty much try every shooter that releases and I definitely have a preferred "type". Anything with a high time to kill in my opinion always makes for great competitive gameplay potentially at an esport level. Look at halo. Halo 3 stomped the mlg circuit and was an overall master piece.

    Cod always had a very low ttk, and just never really felt competitive. It's focused on who sees who first. As opposed to our maneuvering your opponent in a 1v1. Even tho it has had a big competitive market in recent years. ( not with the latest release as of yet ).

    Now with that said, one thing I always enjoyed about different shooters was mobility.

    I played Titanfall, and running on walls and what not was cool. But a little much.

    Halo 5, is a great mix of adding high speed gameplay, parkour elements, dodging bullets but thrusting to the side and sliding, mantling up from ledges. Unfortunately, the halo community feels that it isn't "halo". Classic halo has more of a slothy game play approach in comparison. Which is why I feel it was so popular honestly. It required more strategy and team work as opposed to individual gun skill. ( that was a focus but the focus was based more around holding positions.).

    Ok. So here's my game idea. I want a mix of a high ttk FPS game, focused on precision weapons. Very little emphasis on auto magic weapons. Maybe even hand to hand combat until you upgrade or something. But, the whole thing would be based around even starts for players and maneuverability using certain jumps and dodging bullets. Barrel rolls and flips to the side, jumping off walls, mantling ledges, grapple hooks, booster packs. You name it.

    But also with a huge focus on balance.

    I have lore and everything written as I write a lot in my free time. I even have character model ideas and concept art.

    But In terms of where to start, im a bit lost. I'm not a game dev. Nor do I even know any. I'd like to get some insight from game devs to see if there would be a market for such a game.

    I've seen the recent climb in attention to apex legends. I play this game as well and the movement is superb! The gun play is great.

    My idea would be a cross of what apex legends currently is, with a bit of halo 5 in there but set in a wastelanded dystopian planet.

    Again. More of a writer not a dev.

    Did I come to the right sub? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/spacechrist777
    [link] [comments]

    What are the best practices for documentation, when developing a game alone?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 04:31 AM PST

    So, I'm currently refactoring a code for a traditional turn-based RPG. Everything is going fine, but as many ideas and solutions keep coming and being implemented, I'm worried that, at some point, I'll get very confused, considered how many different systems are in place when creating an RPG and also considering that I'm coding it alone. I have JSON files in place, I keep a lot of notes and my code is filled with comments everywhere to keep me informed. I'm wondering if there's a routine or best practice to keep design notes and documentation about my game that I may be missing here.

    Any tips? Thanks.

    PS: Bear in mind, my game isn't super complex. I'm just trying to build a base that I can experiment and expand upon later.

    submitted by /u/JardsonJean
    [link] [comments]

    What keeps you motivated knowing that your game may not achieve success?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 07:26 AM PST

    I'm a hobbyist game developer. I have nothing to really show for it at this point, but I have a whole lot of fun doing it. However, when I start to think about what it's all for, knowing that this industry is very hard to break into and achieve actual monetary success, it can be difficult to stay motivated. If any other hobbyists are on here, what do you do when you start having these thoughts? Do you just power through? When do I know when it's time to cut my losses?

    submitted by /u/jtcuth48
    [link] [comments]

    RUMBLE: Raw and uncut combat

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 11:01 AM PST

    Hi everyone,

    It has been a while since we've posted an update of our upcoming game RUMBLE, but we are so close to releasing the Early Access version that we have decided to post on Reddit again to show you how far we are with the game.

    This is our first Dev Log of the year, that deserves something cool. There still are some bugs and some networking jank, but the game can be played and it's a LOT of fun. The art is still scheduled to get an overhaul, most visual aspects of the game are going to be improved.

    https://youtu.be/4cfeZ1wqUz0

    We recorded a bunch of fights in order to make sure we would have a cool one to show you. We added two bloopers at the end of the video if you want to have a laugh.

    Early access starts on March 2020, we're very excited to finally get the game out to all of you.

    Want to stay up-to-date? Join our Discord server!

    Maarten Braaksma, Buckethead Entertainment

    submitted by /u/BucketheadEnt
    [link] [comments]

    Questions on securing network data

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 10:10 AM PST

    I spent all this time and energy packing my data into bitstreams to make them tiny to send over the network, if I serialize the class using normal serialization techniques it's 258 bytes, with bitstream it's 17 bytes.

    Buuuut then:

    • If I encrypt it, it's 128-256 bytes depending on algo, abandoning any savings.

    • If I use SSL or TLS, it's similar, big fat key, magnitudes larger than the data I want to send....is it sending the key with each request or only when challenged?

    Solutions:

    • Ignore the problem, maybe it's obfuscated enough (not likely)

    • Use some simplified hash or other scheme (maybe sort the 17 bytes using some un-intuitive pattern, maybe even a changing pattern over time)

    • Add a delay to sending packets, accumulating and batching multiple at a time so I'm encrypting closer to 256 bytes worth of data. This would add latency to some input (events/triggers)

    • ????

    How do you guys approach it?

    I'm using Udp between client and server, then server to server/resource is tcp.

    I need low latency, small data size, and secure...I can get the first two but all 3 seems impossible.

    submitted by /u/mixreality
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best game engine/framework for a solo developer?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 12:14 PM PST

    Hello,

    I am beginner solo developer and I want to create great 2D games.I use Linux (OpenSUSE Tumbleweed) as my main OS.I have great experience in C++ and Java. I want to know the best game engine or framework which focus on productivity, game performance and support Linux (for development).

    Thanks for your replies in advance. :)

    submitted by /u/AhmedMostafa16
    [link] [comments]

    Should I learn UE4??

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 12:14 PM PST

    Hell to everyone,

    I'm a computer science student, I've learned OpenGL and I liked it a lot.

    My question is, should I stick with it or learn how to use a proper game engine like Unreal engine 4??

    submitted by /u/i3lTerra
    [link] [comments]

    What is like to buy or sell a game? (The ownership of a shipped game)

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 11:21 AM PST

    Have any of you done this before? I'm stuck in development for years on many projects and recently was wondering about buying a shipped game and reverse-enginering the shipping process. Like trying to improve a game that is already published. I've found a website that sells app and games listed on the Google's Play Store and iOS markets. But what would be like to buy a game that is out on Steam or Switch? Is it even allowed? If so, is there a place or website more reliable for these types of negotiations?

    submitted by /u/evil-uncle
    [link] [comments]

    Best platform / library for webGL dev (for both desktop and mobile)?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 08:50 AM PST

    I've published a game for the web with Unity previously, but had to release a native app for mobile users. I'm considering trying out Three.js as an alternative, but it seems like the ramp to doing a comparable experience to Unity is going to be significant.

    Is there a preferred library for this type of dev? Do you find that three.js is worth the effort? Want users to be able to enjoy the game if they go to a website on their laptop browser or their phone browser.

    submitted by /u/D_Sinclair
    [link] [comments]

    Special Humble Bundle to help the Australian wildlife

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 03:57 AM PST

    I want to ask for permission from the moderators to allow this promotion/propaganda. It is for a good cause.

    This special Humble Bundle, available for one week only, 100% of the money from the sales go to help the wildlife affected by the Australian Bushfires.

    https://www.humblebundle.com/games/australia-fire-relief

    submitted by /u/programad
    [link] [comments]

    Intro to Procedural Geometry, Part 1

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 06:45 AM PST

    An introduction to BSP trees for mesh Boolean operations

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 12:44 AM PST

    Article: https://pk1234.news.blog/2020/01/17/bsp-trees-for-mesh-boolean-operations/

    Hey guys, I made an article concerning basics of using BSP trees for mesh Boolean operations that allows for destructible environment etc. (Red Faction was famous for this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7LqIuJdRFI) .

    I mostly wrote it for myself so I don't forget the stuff, but then I figured that since I struggled with the original papers on this topic so much, I might as well add a few pictures, try to make it readable for others, and it might help someone out with understanding the topic.

    I've never really written articles/blogs, so any feedback will be appreciated. Obviously the topic isn't completely simple, but I hope it's understandable for someone with a slight understanding of math/programming.

    submitted by /u/pkjak
    [link] [comments]

    My long-suffering quest development

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 12:53 PM PST

    How many hours a day do you work?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 09:04 AM PST

    Would like to get a feeling for the amount of hours other game designers do. Also interested to know if you're solo/indie/AAA etc.

    I typically do 7-10 hours of dev spread through the day (solo indie).

    submitted by /u/propulsiongames
    [link] [comments]

    Tying Camera Feed to Game Engine

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 06:35 AM PST

    Hey, everyone. Quick (and odd) question for you.

    Has anyone tried connecting one or more camera feeds to a game engine and have the game engine recreate what it sees as the game world?

    submitted by /u/emeri1md
    [link] [comments]

    Code returns Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException at com.woodworkingangell.BittyDungeons.Game.main(Game.java:49) instead of loop print. What did i do wrong? I have outlined number 49

    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 11:55 AM PST

    package com.woodworkingangell.BittyDungeons;

    import java.awt.Canvas;

    import java.awt.Dimension;

    import javax.swing.JFrame;

    public class Game extends Canvas implements Runnable {

    private static final long serialVersionUID = 1L; public static int width = 300; public static int height = width / 16 \* 9; public static int scale = 3; private Thread thread; private JFrame frame; private boolean running = false; public Game() { Dimension size= new Dimension(width\*scale, height\*scale); setPreferredSize(size); } public synchronized void start() { running = true; thread = new Thread(this, "Display"); thread.start(); frame = new JFrame(); } 

    public synchronized void stop() { running = false; try { thread.join(); } catch (InterruptedException e) { e.printStackTrace(); } } public void run() { while(running == true) { System.out.println("Running..."); } } public static void main(String\[\] args) { Game game = new Game(); game.frame.setResizable(false); //Line 49 game.frame.setTitle("Bitty Dungeons"); game.frame.add(game); game.frame.pack(); game.frame.setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.EXIT\_ON\_CLOSE); game.frame.setLocationRelativeTo(null); game.frame.setVisible(true); game.start(); } 

    }

    submitted by /u/WoodWorkingAngell
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment