• Breaking News

    Saturday, January 18, 2020

    4 years as a web developer and TIL that you're not supposed to put external links in your

    4 years as a web developer and TIL that you're not supposed to put external links in your <nav> elements. What other basics do you think experienced web developers still don't know? web developers


    4 years as a web developer and TIL that you're not supposed to put external links in your <nav> elements. What other basics do you think experienced web developers still don't know?

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 02:37 AM PST

    Without rel="nofollow", that is, if I understand correctly.

    As the title suggests or alternatively let me know of something you learned way too late in the game. As a self taught web developer always working the only web developer in startups I feel like I was never criticized properly for my mistakes.

    submitted by /u/Nephelophyte
    [link] [comments]

    What are my chances of getting a junior developer job? What else should I do?

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 01:07 PM PST

    A little bit about me:

    I'm 21 years old and my web developer journey started almost a year and a half ago, when I decided to enroll to a coding bootcamp that taught me web development (MERN Stack to be more specific) and although I learned a lot, I still had a lot of gaps in my knowledge and because of that, I didn't felt ready for a job (impostor syndrome), but I wasn't in a rush to get one either since I was living in a different country at that time and didn't really wanted to work in said country. So instead what I did after graduating the bootcamp was to keep studying web development on my own, practicing JavaScript, building new projects, learning some new things, learning the basics about algorithms, etc. on my free time for another year or so.

    After that, I finally returned to my home country (US, Illinois) and want to start looking for my first web dev job. I've been applying to some jobs (don't really keep track on how many jobs I've applied to but I would say I have done between 50 - 80 job applications in total, not that many, I know), some of them reject me and the others straight up ghost me lol. I only apply to jobs that I feel I'm (at least sort of) qualified for, if I meet 70% of the technical skills they are asking for, I will apply, but many if not all of the job postings require some years of experience and that's what makes me feel 'unemployable'. That plus the fact that when I look at my email and see nothing but rejections and automated emails from indeed.com and similar websites makes me feel so discouraged that I start to doubt myself. I have read hundreds of posts/blogs/comments saying how hard it is to get your first dev job with no prior experience so I try to keep my cool and continue applying until (hopefully) something happens.

    so that got me thinking, what are my real chances of getting my first developer job and what can I do to make myself more employable?

    I'm still learning some new stuff and want to keep learning other things like Angular, Vue, Python (currently studying it), Ruby on Rails, MySQL, PostgreSQL but I don't even know if that't the right move for me, should I learn just stuff that is more marketable in my area? I have seen many job postings asking for C# .NET, Wordpress, PHP but I'm not sure if I really want to learn those. Or maybe I should just choose to concentrate on either front-end or back-end instead of trying to learn "everything about everything" if that makes sense.

    I guess I just want an opinion on what are my real chances, what can I do to make myself more employable and maybe some tips on how to get my foot in the door?

    Here's my portfolio website so you can check out my projects, resume, skills, etc. and give me your thoughts: https://luther-barragan.web.app/

    submitted by /u/Luther0211
    [link] [comments]

    Am I job ready?

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 01:00 PM PST

    Hey guys, I graduated university a month ago and I'm getting ready to dive into the work force.
    Since graduating I've had more time to work on my portfolio and I made a couple of Full stack mern apps so that I can start applying for work in February. Would you mind giving me feedback on my portfolio? Links to my apps are included, as well as github.

    davidwebdevelopment

    I just need to transfer my domain. I'm switching over to aws to do so.

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/DeltaFireBlues
    [link] [comments]

    Do most JS heavy companies use Typescript nowadays?

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 01:42 PM PST

    I'm curious how prolific TS has become. Do you guys think Typescript is the standard in most professional environments, or is it still a small fraction of overall JS development even in 2020?

    submitted by /u/javascript_dev
    [link] [comments]

    How to avoid cutting content on mobiles with 100vh?

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 02:28 PM PST

    Hello, when making web app with 100vh website is always cut due to mobile browsers controls. When you add site to homescreen, problem is solved as there are no controls.

    This issue was mentioned here as it is expected behaviour https://nicolas-hoizey.com/articles/2015/02/18/viewport-height-is-taller-than-the-visible-part-of-the-document-in-some-mobile-browsers/

    But is there any way how to avoid this behaviour and shrink viewport if there are controls in browser?

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/hepepnyt
    [link] [comments]

    When XML beats JSON: UI layouts

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 08:07 AM PST

    I made a website to filter out live and demo music on Spotify.

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 07:14 AM PST

    URLs

    Motivation

    Often I love to hit shuffle on an artist in Spotify and discover some new tracks, but for a lot of artists you end up listening to endless live recordings of the same songs. So I made this website.

    You choose an artist, it fetches their full discography, and generates you a playlist with live/demo/remix recordings filtered out.

    Tools Used

    • Angular (2) for the front-end framework.
    • Redux for state management.
    • Firebase for hosting.
    • And of course the Spotify API

    Method

    Spotify has no reliable way to actually determine if an album is live. Instead, I'm mostly taking the naive approach of using some regex to filter out certain text strings.

    I also considered using a second API to retrieve album info, or the "liveness" factor in Spotify, but the amount of API calls used in the app is already very high.

    Full steps

    1. Fetch the artist's albums excluding compilation, appears_on, etc. (You can only fetch albums in batches of 20, so a ton of API calls unfortunately).
    2. Fetch the songs for each album (a ton of API calls once again with batch limit).
    3. Filter out all tracks matching the list of regex.
    4. Add the rest to a playlist (Again, batch limited. More excessive API calls!)

    This was a fun little personal project to build and ended up being something I use regularly. Would love to know if others find it useful too!

    submitted by /u/Jamdod
    [link] [comments]

    Trello styled SPA bug tracking software

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 08:38 AM PST

    Hi this is my first project. I built it with the MERN stack. Reckon this could help land me a job as a portfolio project?

    http://vrecic-bugsquash-project.herokuapp.com/login

    Feel free to use a fake email to sign up, you get instant access. Going to work on the fonts and colours a little.

    submitted by /u/vstefan
    [link] [comments]

    I made a web app that analyzes your mood based on what you listen to on Spotify

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 12:52 PM PST

    Ajax script for my php contact form not working correctly

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 04:05 PM PST

    First time trying ajax out - anyone know why the below wouldn't work?

    (function () {

    // init the validator

    // validator files are included in the download package

    // otherwise download from http://1000hz.github.io/bootstrap-validator

    $('#contact-form').validator();

    // when the form is submitted

    $('#contact-form').on('submit', function (e) {

    // if the validator does not prevent form submit

    if (!e.isDefaultPrevented()) {

    var url = "assets/contact-form.php";

    // POST values in the background the the script URL

    $.ajax({

    type: "POST",

    url: url,

    data: $(this).serialize(),

    success: function (data)

    {

    // data = JSON object that contact.php returns

    // we recieve the type of the message: success x danger and apply it to the

    var messageAlert = 'alert-' + data.type;

    var messageText = data.message;

    // let's compose Bootstrap alert box HTML

    var alertBox = '<div class="alert ' + messageAlert + ' alert-dismissable"><button type="button" class="close" data-dismiss="alert" aria-hidden="true">&times;</button>' + messageText + '</div>';

    // If we have messageAlert and messageText

    if (messageAlert && messageText) {

    // inject the alert to .messages div in our form

    $('#contact-form').find('.messages').html(alertBox);

    // empty the form

    $('#contact-form')[0].reset();

    }

    }

    });

    return false;

    }

    })

    });

    submitted by /u/marosenthal18
    [link] [comments]

    30 minutes wasted debugging some form validation. You win this round, javascript.

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 03:39 PM PST

    Using Gsuite, setup DMARC. Receiving reports, now what?

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 03:38 PM PST

    Not sure if this is the right sub, if not please let me know where this would be better suited. I have recently setup my Gsuite admin account and one of the email features is DMARC, which apparently helps filter inbound emails. Currently I have it set to do nothing (no quarantine or reject) and I receive daily reports in my email. What do I do with this information? How do I know how to customize and modify my policy from here?

    submitted by /u/Produkt
    [link] [comments]

    When freelancing, do your clients own credentials on all related accounts or do you take care of it all?

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 03:11 PM PST

    [Showoff Saturday] Would anyone be interested in a public resume critique?

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 03:06 PM PST

    Original post was removed because sharing resumes any day other than Saturday is not allowed.

    Whether you want to read the resumes of others being critiqued or have your own critiqued, I want to hear your opinion.

    I'm a senior front end engineer who has been working in web development for almost 20 years now. I started freelance, moved to contract positions about three years ago to land bigger fish (JBHunt -> Walmart -> Amazon), and am currently enjoying my career at AWS. For both Walmart and AWS, I've been engaged in the interview process, running phone screens and in-person interviews. For both companies, I went through an interview training process to know what to look for. I want to get that information out there into the hands of applicants who don't know better, because that was me at one point in my life, and my lack of soft skills really held me back from achieving more at an earlier age.

    I've spent a lot of time replying to resume review requests on reddit, and I've had a lot of redditors message me personally asking for resume critique. I'm always willing to provide constructive criticism. It's nice to be able to reply to a direct message with advice, but it makes me wonder if it would net more positive community impact for these critiques to be public-facing. I find myself repeating a lot, as my advice falls to a single pair of ears.

    Would anyone be interested in having their resume be publicly critiqued? (You can apply as much or as little anonymity as you want.)

    I have just over 2k followers on Medium who could benefit from this, and I can post it to reddit separately since I know there's a lot of Medium hate.

    If this is something anyone is interested in, just let me know. I have an innate passion for helping new developers enter the industry; I would just need the junior sacrifices to put on the butcher's table. 🙂

    submitted by /u/Charles_Stover
    [link] [comments]

    SubFeeds - a kanban board layout for collections of subreddits - WIP

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 01:39 AM PST

    Website for making websites

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 02:23 PM PST

    I am studying at a computer high school and I LOVE web development esspecially backend programming with php I consider myself a semi-pro at this, but I couldn't help to notice how many actual websites for making websites there are... When Wix started being popular i wasn't conserned it's mostly front end for high quality backend stuff you still need a webdev but than I found out about shopify (a site for making an online shop) and more sites like it and i'm just a little bit scared becouse i want to go to college for computer science with main focus on webdev and AI and i don't know how much people will want to hire webdev in the future when more sites like that come out. IDK please share thought in the comments.

    submitted by /u/Pstwjnc
    [link] [comments]

    Just finished my portfolio. What do you think?

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 10:33 AM PST

    Portfolio: https://codeycodes.com/

    Please let me know what you think as I would be applying for jobs using this. All comments are welcome. Thank you very much :)

    Edit: I have not uploaded my resume yet so you will get 404 when you click on my resume link. I am still working on it.

    submitted by /u/DaBaDaDee
    [link] [comments]

    Cutting my teeth on using RESTful services, and have questions about HTTP 400 error

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 02:13 PM PST

    Most every definition I've seen concerning a 400 error response tells me that the error is mainly reserved for bad/malformed requests, i.e., a missing header or bad authentication. In other words, if the structure of the request is bad, then a 400 error response would be expected. Would this be accurate?

    However, the API I'm working with can sometimes return a 400 error if the data I send it might violate a constraint at the backend of the API's server. I know for sure that the structure of the client request is proper for the API. For example, if I attempt to create an Order transaction through the API and submit an ItemNumber that does not exist in the backend, the API will return a 400 level error.

    It seems to me that the designers of the API I am working with may be using a 400 error response for more than was intended. Am I assuming too much?

    I will say that the documentation for the API is okay, but any support for it is practically non-existent.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/MasterClown
    [link] [comments]

    Website performance call from GoDaddy

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 08:11 AM PST

    GoDaddy, my hosting service, called and said they ran a test and it revealed that my performance is not optimal. They said the site loads in 5 seconds and needs to load faster (3 seconds) to rank in first page search results. They wanted to sell me professional development but I can't afford it right now. Aside from this they offered no suggestions for other ways to remedy this problem. Any tips out there? Much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Digrace
    [link] [comments]

    Recommend an HTML5 Video player for integrating video ads and Vimeo videos?

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 02:02 PM PST

    I've already tried Video.Js and it's Vimeo plugin hasn't been updated since 2018. It looked promising for a moment there...

    Hey everyone. I'm trying to implement ads into our personal video platform, We host videos on Vimeo. Could you recommend a reliable video player that works with Vimeo and supports ads from google video?

    submitted by /u/TheConceptBoy
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] Webwide | Discussion community for web designers, developers & makers

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 01:51 PM PST

    The Circuit Breaker Pattern

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 03:09 AM PST

    website I'm hosting on github sites has certificate issues but only occasionally???

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 01:30 PM PST

    Does anyone else have this problem? Sometimes I'll check on my site and it will say on Chrome "Your connection is not private", and a similar error on FireFox. But then sometimes, it will load on one browser but not the other, and sometimes it won't load at all but it will load on my phone. Is there a fix to this issue?

    submitted by /u/anticlimacticWPS
    [link] [comments]

    cannot participate in a hackathon -why not make it online?

    Posted: 18 Jan 2020 01:29 PM PST

    Recently my remote distributed team was offered to participate in a hackathon but that will not happen

    Visiting a hackathon is not always possible to do time, visa, money and other constraints.

    Thus, inevitably purely online hackhatons emerge, using technology like slack, trello, zoom, etc.

    Have you participated in such/would you?

    I read about one hackathon where devs could join teams (not only with other developers but also designers, etc) and form teams for a project. Does it sound good to you?

    What if actually such teams could form real life projects(although being remote teams) and continue past the hackathon?

    Meanwhile missing out the the hackathon because it is not online.

    submitted by /u/myshaka
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment