• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 3, 2019

    To be a software engineer, should I go back to school to do a second undergrad in CS? Ask Programming

    To be a software engineer, should I go back to school to do a second undergrad in CS? Ask Programming


    To be a software engineer, should I go back to school to do a second undergrad in CS?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 11:30 AM PDT

    Some basic info about me: I graduated from University of Waterloo (in Ontario, Canada) in 2018 with a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Biology. I live in Toronto Ontario. I've been working since graduation, although nothing to do with computer science. I decided that at this point I want to switch careers (I'm currently 24), and try to become a software engineer. I have friends who are software engineers or developers and work for the big tech companies in California, such as Google, Facebook, or LinkedIn. It might be a bit of a stretch for me to say I want to be there, as I don't have much computer science background, but working for those companies is an experience I would love to have in the hopefully near future. I am also open to any positions computer science related, but obviously I have lots of work to do and information to learn before I can get there. I currently reside in Toronto, so I know that there are also big tech companies here, such as the new Amazon.

    I'm posting because I need advice on how to get into computer science. As someone with a biology background, I don't necessarily stand out in terms of knowledge and expertise. I know some people say that they don't need "formal" schooling to learn computer science, and that they can teach themselves many things, but is that so?

    Since I already have an undergrad, I was thinking about whether getting a second degree in CS would be beneficial. E.g. I was talking to University of Toronto about getting a CS degree, and apparently it will take around up to 3 years to complete, including transfer credits that I may get transferred to the degree. The advisor told me I wouldn't be able to graduate with the CS degree, as it is also under the faculty of science, but that I could take courses for CS under an arts program, for example, and fulfill the CS requirements, then graduate with the arts degree.

    Has anybody been in a similar situation? E.g. doing an undergrad, then thinking about switching careers and whether or not further schooling is a good idea, and if so, what type of schooling? Any advice would be appreciated. Serious answers only please :)

    - future software engineer wannabe

    submitted by /u/rosy_daisy
    [link] [comments]

    How hard is making a basic options program?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 10:14 AM PDT

    Hello,
    I am a dentistry student and only started clinical-stage recently, so I am a bit worried about writing prescriptions due to the many contraindications with each drug.
    So I thought about building a small app, which you have 3-6 fields (Disease, Age, physiological things, other systematic illnesses and so on), how hard would it be to make such an app? can I build a web version so I don't have to hassle about it being on mobile or PC?

    submitted by /u/Dntosh
    [link] [comments]

    What's a flawed/ugly design in Computer Engineering that we're stuck with?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 06:43 AM PDT

    I'm talking about "looking back, this could have been thought out better, but it's out there now and we can't change it easily." E.g. the x86 instruction set (not elegant), the various git commands, or having both null and undefined in JavaScript.

    submitted by /u/lifeeraser
    [link] [comments]

    Is there something more frequent than cron for running on shorter < minute intervals? Or does this just require a daemon..if so what's the easiest language for them?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 01:33 PM PDT

    Building a debugger from scratch

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 12:52 AM PDT

    As the title states, I'm interested in building my own debugger as a side project but am not quite sure where to start. What books are available on the topic?

    submitted by /u/noodlesoup37
    [link] [comments]

    How do I determine the number of control lines, data lines for each input, and output lines an Arithmetic and Logic Unit needs given the number of operations and the number of bits per input number.

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 12:30 PM PDT

    Best practice idea when dealing with recurring events on a calendar object?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 12:25 PM PDT

    I'm in the middle of building a calendar app, but I have met some resistance with myself when it comes to the recurring events.

    For example. "Paycheck every 2 weeks"

    Right now I render a single month at a time, and store all the events in a single event array. Once a month is rendered, it parses through the events list and if the date of the event is equal to the date in the month. It is rendered onto the calendar.

    However, with recurring events this poses a problem because it's almost as if I have to pre-render the events. If an event was first created 6 months ago, but set to repeat every 2 weeks. Do I have to iterate through it from the very beginning and check if it matches with any of the current month dates?

    Just brainstorming and looking for some good ideas!

    submitted by /u/FullstackViking
    [link] [comments]

    Are serverless functions an appropriate/good use-case for handling form HTTP requests?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 11:55 AM PDT

    AWS Lambda, Cloudflare Workers, etc.

    Asking because using HubSpot for a project, which doesn't have any options for server-side code like Controllers.

    submitted by /u/zephyy
    [link] [comments]

    Testing Hardware in C++

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 11:22 AM PDT

    Hello! I just got hired onto a job as a Software Engineer, but it has turned out to be more of a position as an Embedded Software Engineer. I've never really written any code that has specifically interacted with hardware devices, so I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing.

    My first project is to write some code that tests different aspects of different devices and making sure they meet certain requirements. (Vague, I know)

    Basically, I want to make a personal test project to at least get my toes wet. How would I go about interacting with my own computer hardware through C++/C code?Like maybe check the temperature of my CPU or turn a fan on/off? Is there like a way to simulate hardware through the use of a program or something? I'm not really sure where I should start.

    Any tips, information, or general guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

    submitted by /u/PotatoNight
    [link] [comments]

    What perspective projection processes do current 3D video game graphics engines use?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 10:27 AM PDT

    3-point perspective? Half perspective model? Full perspective model?

    I'm looking for the mathematical processes involved in making standard 3D games look the way they do.

    submitted by /u/rekilection622
    [link] [comments]

    What are these instructions asking?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 10:15 AM PDT

    So I have to write a poker kind of program and this is what this step is asking: you, just need to display the deck across the top row of the screen, rather then over the entire screen

    Is it telling me to make it so you only see the top row and ignore all other cards or what

    submitted by /u/ALostPaperBag
    [link] [comments]

    I need to find a way to extract text from a word document and put it into a webpage, but I'm restricted in what I can do

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 09:21 AM PDT

    At work I have to find a way to grab text from a word document and paste it into a webpage. The problem is every solution I find online involves python, VBA or something else I can't use. I can really only use HTML and CSS because of the restrictions in place. Is this possible at all? The site also uses SharePoint but I haven't been able to figure out anything with that so I'm just trying to use straight up HTML and CSS.

    submitted by /u/Torch07
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking about working for CGI group..

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 05:31 AM PDT

    Hello, This isn't specific about programming, but I'm thinking about working for CGI Group Inc as a first programming job. I was wondering if anyone has worked for CGI before. If so, what was your experience?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/pctopgs
    [link] [comments]

    Need some advice on building a platform that requires Facebook app

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 04:37 AM PDT

    Reversing an Array on Javascript

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 02:58 AM PDT

    Hello, I am currently trying to do an exercise with the following prompt:

    Write a function that accepts an array and reverses that array in place. The behavior should mimic the behavior of the native .reverse() array method. However, your reverse function should accept the array to operate on as an argument, rather than being invoked as a method on that array. Do not use the native .reverse() method in your own implementation.

    I wrote the following code:

    function reverseArray(array){ let newArray = []; for(let i = array.length-1; i === 0; i--){ let element = array[i]; newArray.push(element); } while (array.length){ array.pop(); } for(let i = 0; i < newArray.length; i++){ let element = newArray[i]; array.push(element); } return array; } 

    While I understand this was a really roundabout way of doing this (I have since seen the solution which I will include below as well). I don't understand what went wrong with my code and why it didn't run properly?

    Solution:

    function reverseArray(array) { let originalElements = []; while (array.length) { originalElements.push(array.pop()); } while (originalElements.length) { array.unshift(originalElements.pop()) } return array; } 

    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you. :-)

    submitted by /u/partyhatforpartytime
    [link] [comments]

    PHP or Java for Social Media?

    Posted: 03 Oct 2019 02:03 AM PDT

    Hello. I am completely new at programming and I am planning on taking classes on my own to learn how to do it. My goal is to create my own social media website. I have been doing some research and I came to the conclusion that PHP and Java are the best two when it comes to social media. Which one is best? Which is the least likely to get hacked? If there are any other programming software that anyone recommends please let me know.

    submitted by /u/analicejones
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment