• Breaking News

    Monday, September 30, 2019

    Your computer language learning order Ask Programming

    Your computer language learning order Ask Programming


    Your computer language learning order

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 02:10 PM PDT

    What was the order in which you learnt computer languages? On a few occasions, I was learning more than one language simultaneously but I think my order was something like:

    1. BBC BASIC
    2. Batch scripting
    3. HTML
    4. CSS
    5. JavaScript
    6. XML
    7. C#
    8. SQL
    9. ASP.NET
    10. PHP
    11. MathML
    12. XAML
    13. Bash
    14. C/C++
    15. PowerShell
    16. Python
    17. XSD
    submitted by /u/StefanOrvarSigmundss
    [link] [comments]

    Program providing even sum help

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 09:11 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I am relatively new to programming and am trying to make the user enter numbers as input in order to calculate a sum of even numbers until he types in "quit". I wasn't able to include quit into my code and have been so frustrated with this. While it works, I don't know how to add it into my code using if/while. Can anyone help me out? Can I make this simpler? Essentially I am trying to create a program which takes in numbers via input and creates a sum of only the even numbers until the user enters quit. Thank you for anyone who tries to help me!

    size = int(input("Enter the size of the list : "))

    sum_even = 0

    int_list = []

    for i in range(size):

    n = int(input("Enter number {} : ".format(i+1)))

    int_list.append(n)

    for i in range(size):

    if(int_list[i] % 2 == 0):

    sum_even += int_list[i]

    print("Sum of even numbers : {} ".format(sum_even))

    submitted by /u/Zadoya
    [link] [comments]

    Trouble installing pyenv on MacOS

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 10:17 PM PDT

    I'm following this tutorial and I'm currently on step 3. However when running this line I'm getting the following error:

    Ashwins-MacBook:~ Ashwin$ echo 'eval "$(pyenv init -)"' >> ~/.bash_profile -bash: /Users/Ashwin/.bash_profile: Permission denied 

    Not sure why the error is happening, I tried typing in SU but that doesn't help either. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks

    submitted by /u/MrMegaGamerz
    [link] [comments]

    "programming by typo" has anyone else encountered this?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 02:08 AM PDT

    I deal with a lot of bad code regularly. This is expected, as I almost exclusively take on roles where I am there to "rescue" a codebase which a previous developer/team/agency has left in a bad state.

    But there is one thing which I just see red every time I encounter it, and I want to know how common it is, because I seem to encounter it a lot. I call it "programming by typo".

    So you know how everyone hates variable names like <something>_1, <something>_2, etc, which don't tell you anything about the differences between variable *_1 and *_2, but let you know they relate to <something>?

    I very often see a variant on this: rather than saying, something like customer_1, customer_2, etc, we have: customer, cutsomer, custumer, etc. Right next to each-other, so there's no possibility that they were simply typos that some overzealous IDE has filled-in automatically throughout, and definitely used for distinct and necessary purposes, so it's not even a matter of a typo having been made which superseded a previous variable (not that there isn't plenty of that). As far as I can tell, these are intentional misspellings, being used as an alternative to using truly distinct variable names.

    I had to write this out so that I could walk away from code after seeing that someone had made shor-by-list to be distinct from sort-by-list, which they were overriding, presumably to avoid having styles from sort-by-list automatically applied to their new override (and instead of, you know, removing the now-superfluous styling information)

    submitted by /u/skztr
    [link] [comments]

    Python compile

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 01:36 PM PDT

    Is there a way to compile python code but still be able to use it like normal? I want it so it can't be uncompiled either? I'm making a automation project and would like if people didn't see the code behind it

    submitted by /u/itzguno
    [link] [comments]

    How do these apps work?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 03:46 PM PDT

    Hello programmers, I'm sorry if I'm breaking any rules with this, but i have a burning question! I've noticed some apps provide information about Instagram followers - very insightful information actually! Namely, you can see who blocked you, deleted comments, stuff like that! How? How do these apps do it? There was nothing I could find on the internet about it. Of course they charge for their services, but I would like to make my own app that can do this just because if those guys can I can too

    submitted by /u/mikitheking3
    [link] [comments]

    Finger and arm trouble?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 03:34 PM PDT

    After using computers for 30 years I've developed many issues with my fingers and arms. Most recently I have "trigger finger" in my right 3rd and 4th fingers and my left 4th (ring) finger. I got steroid shots in my right fingers a few years ago and for a while they have been fine. The left just started. Apparently there is a surgery where they release the tendon which is binding up, but I think I'll get a shot in the left hand first (appointment in a week) to see how long that helps for.

    I also have what I've been told is "radial tunnel" syndrome in both arms. Basically the same sort of thing is happening with the ligaments or tendons or nerves or whatever that go up my arm and through my elbow. Makes my forearms tired, painful and tight.

    I've tried a variety of things, from special keyboards to electrical stim to manual massage to automatic massagers. I did physical therapy for some time, heat, cold, etc. You name it.

    At this point I found working in a recliner gives me a good way to have my arms at the most neutral position but working on a Macbook means I have to use the trackpad a lot and with that I can tell my 3rd-5th fingers on either hand "hover" a lot which I think is what is causing the issues in those fingers. I also mainly type with the 1st-3rd fingers so the 4th and 5th also hover a lot due to that.

    I was hoping others might chime in on their issues and what has worked for them. I got a manual arm massager that you "clamp" on your arm and run it up and down and it breaks up the tissue an sort of releases it a bit. I also got a compression pneumatic massager which is mostly for legs but also works on arms.

    Physical therapy basically said they can't do anything with trigger finger. Hot, stretching and massage but in the end the surgery is the only thing that fixes it. They gave me a custom "splint" which doesn't seem to help, it seems to make it worse even with my finger locking up much more after I've worn it for some time.

    I stretch my arms a lot, do yoga daily, etc. but there seems to be no long term relief I've found. I am a remote worker so, even though I am an employee, I provider my own computer and workstation so can't really blame my employer. Not sure if there is any disability or work comp related to this at all... therapy, etc. It's not cheap to go to PT multiple times a week and my insurance doesn't cover chiro/massage. Of course, when I take time off from working everything gets a lot better but in the end it all comes back.

    submitted by /u/whodkne
    [link] [comments]

    MATLAB: What are binaries in this context?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 01:55 PM PDT

    From Quora:

    Matlab is not strictly an interpreted language and does not always use JIT compilation. It uses an opaque optimization scheme that relies on passing functionality to preconstructed binaries that exploit whatever multithreading and multi-core architectures your h/w supports (That's one of the reasons why Matlab's raw numeric calculation speed is on the order of that obtained from optimized C code).

    I'm a first year comp-sci student. I understand JIT to be a combination of compilation and interpretation, that seems simple enough. But could anyone translate the second sentence into more layman's terms?

    submitted by /u/YeetYertMcGert
    [link] [comments]

    How do CAPTCHA Harvesting bots work?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 01:16 PM PDT

    As the title states, CAPTCHA Harvesting is often used in bots that automate purchases (usually for "hype" or limited release clothing). The program is able to recreate the captcha in a separate window, then when the user answers the captcha in the separate window, the original webpage gets that response and accepts it.

    submitted by /u/rapture_inc
    [link] [comments]

    Knowledge gap in moving from core Java -> developing applications

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 12:19 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    This is my first post on r/askprogramming, so please be gentle!

    I have a final project to complete for a MSc conversion course p/t over the next several months. I completed the teaching modules full-time over the last year, but really struggled with the workload, finances and my health (Recently diagnosed with ADHD, I'm almost 40 and had a few bad injuries from gym/sports ), and have been an granted the fees waived to finish.

    I know some core Java, mySql, HTML, CSS, and minimal PhP. For my project I wish to create a small social media app, to enable local musicians to communicate with each other, post their biographies, and upload their music videos/audio recordings.

    I could do this as a web application, but I want to use this time to improve my Java skills, and get familiar with a framework such as Spring or Cordova that will translate well into securing my first Tech role.

    Here's the thing: I know nothing about how the console Java I write can lead to a functioning mobile app! I have been looking at an Udemy course on Spring, but I'm not sure if this is even what I need? Could someone recommend a suitable description or breakdown of the steps I require, and the knowledge I need to develop, to take this project from conceptualization to release?

    Many thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Burjennio
    [link] [comments]

    Meme Database

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 11:11 AM PDT

    hello friends,

    does anyone know of a meme database, indexed or searchable? I have a Discord bot that responds to a text search command, which scrapes KnowYourMeme, but the results are lacklustre for simple queries!

    any ideas?

    submitted by /u/russon77
    [link] [comments]

    Java vs C++. Math

    Posted: 29 Sep 2019 10:39 PM PDT

    So I'm learning java for about half a year and all this time I was sure that I'm doing the right thing, because this language is used by lots of companies and stuff, but recently I was told that Java kinda sucks and if I continue learning it I won't get any well-paid job (or any job at all) afterwards. As an alternative, I was suggested to move to C++. I would like to know if I really should consider this suggestion. C++ seems very unfriendly for newcomers, it has poor exception mechanism (compared to java), but I have to admit that C++ provides better functionality for interacting with OS, while java has lots of restrictions due to its um... independency? portability? Hope you'll get the point Also I was told that EVERY programmer should have strong knowledge of math. I really don't understand that. Of course, I know that programming is pretty much math itself, all those algorithms and functions, but I was thinking that basic knowledge would be quite sufficient

    submitted by /u/OknoLombarda
    [link] [comments]

    PLEASE HELP IM A NOOB

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 10:54 AM PDT

    Hello so I've never done any programming and I'm trying to install this monitor from github and it has instructions and all but I don't understand the instruction or terms. If anyone could help me out and could tell me what to do that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Here's the link to the github: https://github.com/ericz99/shopify-page-monitor

    submitted by /u/youngsimba345
    [link] [comments]

    State of the art

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 10:47 AM PDT

    Does anyone have links to state of the art deep learning algorithms for Python?

    submitted by /u/sseymens
    [link] [comments]

    Coding and Networking

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 10:15 AM PDT

    I am 19 year old kid going on my second year at my local community college to obtain my associate's in CIS- coding.

    My coding instructor helped me get a local job here in town doing software application for a big business but I want to work somewhere in the city (this town is really small). in May 2020 I will have all of my classes done and will be graduated with an associate's in coding.

    I want to go back to school for a associate's degree in Networking administrator so I can learn more and have more value to my name when applying for jobs. The other thing that crosses my mind when thinking about this is completing my bachelors degree in coding. I will have all of my coding classes out of the way in may so when I transfer I will just be taking the general courses at a university or online college which I don't want to do because it'll feel like a waste of time to me but I know big job look at if you have a bachelors (Just a check box for most companies) or not. I lost doing websites and I am learning on the job.

    What should I do. I am just looking for an other peoples views.

    submitted by /u/coleDmize8
    [link] [comments]

    Home Automation app

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 09:44 AM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I have a good bit of experience in coding and have started learning to make apps.

    What I want to do is use a Raspberry Pi to control Wi-Fi devices in my home. I was thinking of doing this with Sonos Speakers but it does not have to be these speakers.

    Ideally, I would like to add some automatic features to an app, for example, when a users phone connects to the wifi, music switches over from playing through headphones to playing through the speakers.

    Does anyone have any information on how to go about controlling the likes of Spotify or the Sonos app through a new external app? I've done some research but found a lot of different answers.

    Also, how difficult would the implementation of this be - particularily the music switching automatically, I dont have that much experience in the likes of C++.

    Any info is appreciated.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/cazbomb420
    [link] [comments]

    Is haskell gaining more and more traction as years pass?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 09:03 AM PDT

    Or is it just me stumbling into people that like it, and articles written about it in 2018 2019.?

    submitted by /u/Mademan1137
    [link] [comments]

    A code for putting a frame on a photo and then some?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 09:01 AM PDT

    Hi, not sure if this is the right place, but I'm not 100% what I'm asking. So I want to write a code that does 3 things:

    1. If a picture appears in a folder on my computer, it is put in the transparent space on a graphic that I made on photoshop.
    2. That new picture (pic+graphic) is saved to a new folder
    3. In the second folder with the new pictures, any picture that appears is uploaded to a facebook group AND/OR sent to a printer to print

    All of this would ideally be triggered by the pictures appearing in the first folder on my computer.

    I'm new to programming/coding so I'm not sure the logistics of this process, but when I looked up the individual steps on how to accomplish this, it was very confusing.

    submitted by /u/kinkycornfreak
    [link] [comments]

    [x-post r/learnprogramming]Want to take this up as a hobby but no idea what dev work to hone in on?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 08:34 AM PDT

    I have plenty of free time and I mean plenty, so I'm thinking to learn some programming as a productive skill & hobby but I'm not planning on making money. First off I have never been strong at math and I know math isn't always necessary especially with web or mobile development so scientific/mathematical computing or data analysis is definitely off my list. Despite being a fan of video games I have no interest in game development, there is many hats you have to wear (the programmer, the artist, the musician) in fact it might make me dislike video games instead.

    I have some experience in Opensource software, I mean I use only open source apps on my android phone (some on my laptop) with a opensource custom rom and contemplated to switch to linux one time if that means anything. I also do design tutorials for fun. I know a teeny tiny bit of UI, Icon and web design. The problem is, I have no idea what to focus on, should I eventually learn all then do projects in all of them or focus on learning and doing projects on one exclusively? so far these spiked my interest:

    ...make Android Apps maybe cross platform with iOS?

    ...build a website possibly front & back?

    ...write Windows & Linux desktop applications

    ...do automation and scripting

    ...Contribute to Open Source Software

    submitted by /u/RealComputer12
    [link] [comments]

    [HELP] StrCat - C++ //concatenates two strings leaving the result in the initial string.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 08:07 AM PDT

    Hello everyone! Hope you all are having a great day! (I am a Relatively New User to Reddit)

    I wanted help to make a String Function which DOESN'T use the string1 = "Hi" + string2 = "friend" or anything like that.

    This is a little more complicated, as one must enter 2 Strings with 50 Characters each and must make the Final String display the content of both but combined. The '\0' is the Key here

    The should go like this (Notice this is another Function, StrCpy) :

    int strCpy (char*stringfinal, char*stringoriginal) { int i=0; while (stringriginal[i]!='\0') { stringfinal[i]= stringoriginal[i]; i++; } } 

    Any ideas of how to use this layout for StrCat? (StrCat is the name of the Function to develop)

    submitted by /u/Manu_spawn
    [link] [comments]

    Laptop recommendations for bootcamp/coding?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 09:06 AM PDT

    I'm starting a coding bootcamp soon and interested in learning Java, python and R in the future. I currently have a 2010 build Mac book and running into issues. Some programs I intended to use want a newer operating system and I only have 4gb.

    I'm not sure if apple or windows is better and if I should get refurbished or new? Any specific stats I should be on the look out for when selecting one? Any laptop suggestions? I'm thinking of purchasing from Best Buy with a budget of $1000 if anyone can provide links. Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/velvetgalaxy
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to implement voting in social media app

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 05:14 AM PDT

    I am developing a Xamarin mobile app and have convinced the client to let me put some kind of comment / likes function

    I've implemented a comments system and the ability for the admin to approve a comment and add some commentary of their own

    I now want to implement a like or voting system

    I apologise if this is really obvious but I just want to check there isn't a better way of doing it

    Stands to reason that what I need is a way of preventing anyone voting more than once

    To that end, what I guess I need is a table in my SQL database for comments, which includes these columns

    - A comment unique ID

    - A 'Likes' column which is incremented when someone votes

    I then guess I need to have a table in which every like is recorded

    - Comment ID

    - User ID

    This has very few dimensions and will likely grow to be quite long

    Is that the best way of doing it?

    submitted by /u/JCL-User
    [link] [comments]

    Storing abstract or derived classes in database?

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 04:28 AM PDT

    if you have an abstract class like animal, and sub classes like dog and cat.

    Which one should you store in a database? 1 table with all animals or 2 tables with dogs and cats

    Lets say Dog and Cat class differ from 1 property

    https://i.imgur.com/XwGkUI1.png

    submitted by /u/poepstinktvies
    [link] [comments]

    Unsure of how to split up a large class

    Posted: 30 Sep 2019 03:31 AM PDT

    I am making a Python package for linear algebra and I currently have a class called Matrix. This class has a lot of methods - arithmetic, inverses, eigenvalues, determinants, ranks, row-reduced forms etc. It is getting to the point where the class is too large to manage (in particular, version control is difficult) but I'm not sure how to split it up.

    Ideally I would like the methods above to stay methods of the matrix class rather than functions that act on a matrix though perhaps this is something that I will have to give in on. Is there a paradigm in which I can keep this structure but still split my class code up?

    I have looked at the source code for numpy as inspiration but it is too dense for me to get much out of.

    submitted by /u/TobyTheCamel
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment