• Breaking News

    Monday, September 23, 2019

    Serverless: 15% slower and 8x more expensive web developers

    Serverless: 15% slower and 8x more expensive web developers


    Serverless: 15% slower and 8x more expensive

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 06:35 AM PDT

    Just a rant

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 06:38 PM PDT

    I just spent about 30 minutes pouring my guts out to a guy in /r/learnjavascript. I really dont know what to think at this point. Any advice is welcome.


    "so, if I get a job working with someone like this, I'm going to have to figure this guy's code out?"

    Dude... you have no idea.

    Heres my current situation.

    Get hired at a seemingly really, really nice place. Theyre making millions with this framework theyve build and licensed out. The pay is good.

    The devs are mostly a handful of 3rd generation devs, 8 or so devs, only one guy from the original team there, Im in the 4th generation. Weve since hired two very, very under qualified devs. I voiced my concern and voted the one down, but they hired anyway. Candidate couldnt answer basic git questions, failed miserably at the coding interview.

    Anyway... The codebase is written in PHP, javascript. Huge piss poor codebase and bullshit code everywhere. Were talking functions that no longer work as intended (returning true no matter what, code "islands" that will never be reached, pages of suppressed warnings, etc...), if statements with 10 (yes, ten) conditions (half of them functions), all seemingly randomly anded and ored together... all on one line, no less.

    No documentation (none in code comments or on a wiki or anything), no training, no actual dev environments (!!!) when I started (We got them now though thanks to me... however they dont act like the prod environments), no unit testing, and a severe pain in the ass process for releasing to production that exactly ONE overworked employee that comes in at 10AM knows.

    No overall architect (I dont think anyone knows what everything does), and managers that Ive overheard complaining that changes should be faster because they could teach our jobs to a newb in a week (yes they literally said that within earshot of me). I asked one particular manager for additional tasks while one job was compiling and I got in (significant) trouble for "going over a managers head" and questions started being thrown about like "what exactly is all_things_code doing that he has this spare time?"

    There is no real plan to improve things, only words (dreams, really) spoken by management. Execs are extremely disconnected from reality regarding the codebase theyre depending on, and recently have seen a large downturn in revenue because of all the tech debt, but they havent figured out why yet. There is no real priority to the tickets as everything is always "on fire". There is though a multi level caching system, involving cloudflare, GCP, AMP, fastly and basically a technique Ill only refer to as 'cookie rape via GET params'.

    Security is a distant speck on the horizon. Oh yeah, by the way, the GET params get put into various PHP variables / arrays all over the place... unsanitized. As in, exactly like $my_var = $_GET['my_var']; and then used in multiple places. With this you can literally place whatever values you want directly onto the page within script src tags, link tags, and into PHP (and I think JS) variables (I havent tested or looked for the JS one but Id bet money it gets in there too.)

    The handful of sites they run themselves depend massively on 2 separate projects building successfully. Imagine 2 decks of cards shuffled together perfectly, thats the kind of BS Im talking about there. (Im being vague so I dont out my employer, but if you work there you already know where this is and probably who I am.) Sometimes, a build will fail and the answer is to just build it again.

    On top of that, youre expected to be there 9+ hours a day, most guys there 10+, a few are there 12+ hours every day M-F. No breaks, but they bring lunch in on Wed so you dont leave the office. At will employer. No stock. Area of town that has HUGE traffic issues. Exempt employee. Weve gone through 4 people in our department since I started a few months ago. Good people.

    I had a build fail Friday (release to prod at 345PM on a Friday... fuck me) and I fully expect to be fired right out the gate tomorrow morning because I quit work at 600PM (after starting at 800).

    Man, I never wrote all this out before. All of it is 100% true and looking back... fuck me. Ive developed a back problem and working on an ulcer. God this took me 25 minutes to write, I think Ill share it in some other programming subs, because Im seriously having a nervous breakdown just thinking of this place.

    Fuck I almost hope I get fired tomorrow. This feels horrible. :(

    submitted by /u/all_things_code
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best way to learn about 'new' technologies?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 10:32 AM PDT

    I don't mean technologies that have just been invented or put into the latest standard. Let me explain:

    I am currently studying Computer science and am working on a few different projects on the side. I usually find ways to solve the problems I encounter, but then later find out there was a way easier / better solution. For example, I just recently found out what websockets are. They are way better than long polling for a problem I had, but long polling worked so I never searched for another solution.

    Those kinds of things are not taught at Uni, and my plans for the future do not really include working for a company where I could learn these kinds of things. Are there any resources or good ways to learn about my options, basically improve my tool set?

    submitted by /u/ThegamingZerii
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone started in IT Support / Help Desk and transitioned to Web Development or a Developer role?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 05:46 PM PDT

    I am curious to see if anyone on this sub started off in IT Support / Help Desk and picked up some coding skills and made a career change. Even if you did not make a career change into a full time developer... how did your new coding skills land you a new position. ~

    submitted by /u/Calculation
    [link] [comments]

    Hi web devs of Australia, what is the average salary like?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 03:15 AM PDT

    I'm a junior dev looking at web dev as a possible career. Although, I don't expect to make any money anytime soon, I looked up on Payscale, indeed, etc. to see what the average salary would be like. And they are wildly different

    Average for front end dev according to various salary statistic site:

    Payscale $71,129
    Glassdoor $84,250
    Indeed $106,114
    neuvoo $110,000

    What is the most accurate here?

    My plan is to apply for front-end jobs and slowly learn more and become more full stack. And the location I am looking into is Victoria. But I am also interested in other state's average

    submitted by /u/forestspirit1011
    [link] [comments]

    Want to know how this website is made, it looks fantastic.

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 02:13 PM PDT

    What are the ethics of automating a job but still reaping the hourly rate as if it was still being done manually?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 12:57 PM PDT

    I automated a job for someone that takes property listings from their website and populates a variety of other vacation rental sites.

    The owner is non-technical and was about to hire someone for 20hrs/week to do this manually until I proposed my solution.

    I could have said I was doing it manually and earned a lot more $$$... but it felt very unethical. What would you have done?

    submitted by /u/throw-away-ac-slater
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner here, Is it a good idea to allow ONLY 'sign in with' google/facebook/twitter in my site?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 03:03 PM PDT

    I was thinking to allow users only to log in with an already existing google/facebook/twitter account (this would save a lot of time and safety concerns) and no ability to sign up as a user to the website properly. Do you think this is reasonable? Or definitively a bad idea/too limiting?

    submitted by /u/kakushka123
    [link] [comments]

    Junior web developers in the London, UK, what was your starting salary?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 05:34 AM PDT

    I'm checking out "Junior web developer" jobs on Indeed.co.uk and I'm seeing a wide range of salaries for a junior web developer. Some of them are laughably low, for example, £17,000 which seems to be £2000 above the minimum wage and some of them are surprisingly high like £30,000 - 35,000. Why is the margin so huge and what would be the difference between being a junior developer at £17k and £30k.

    Honestly as I junior I don't have expectations for a high starting salary, as long as I could get a raise whenever I prove that I am a valuable asset, however, I also wouldn't like to be taken advantage of just because I'm green.

    This is why I'm extremely curious what is the starting salary of most "Junior web developers" and how does a £17k and £30k job differ from each other?

    submitted by /u/Bozhidar95
    [link] [comments]

    A website speed test tool to compare uBlock Origin with plain Chrome

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 05:53 PM PDT

    Trying to understand same origin policy and CORS

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 04:50 AM PDT

    Hello friends,

    I am building a web front-end in JS for a Rest API (built using Python + Flask). I am very new to JS and learning how to make HTTP requests from JS to Rest API and came across same origin policy and Cross origin resource sharing (CORS). Using this MDN docs as reference it says:

    For security reasons, browsers restrict cross-origin HTTP requests initiated from scripts. For example, XMLHttpRequest and the Fetch API follow the same-origin policy. This means that a web application using those APIs can only request resources from the same origin the application was loaded from, unless the response from other origins includes the right CORS headers.

    • Am I right in thinking that my web frontend hosted on web.mydomain.com cannot receive responses from api.mydomain.com since the API response doesn't include the right CORS headers?

    • If yes, do ads requested by websites from other domains always have the right CORS headers?

    • I would like my API to be used by everyone (with correct Authorization header) so is it safe (best practice) to set CORS header like this: Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *

    Thank you 🙂

    submitted by /u/LordGeneralTimmy
    [link] [comments]

    Does your company pay for education (ie pursuing a degree while on the job)?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 02:04 PM PDT

    Thanks for any input.

    submitted by /u/Phylose
    [link] [comments]

    From 0 to launching a product on Product Hunt in 2 days

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 01:31 PM PDT

    Vue.Js/front end certification

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 04:51 PM PDT

    I want to do a vuejs course or web dev certification which I can do in 2-3 months. Can someone suggest some worthy course/certification.? I initially planned on doing all 6 free code amp certification (I have done 3 of them) but I want to go for something better or which focus on vuejs.

    submitted by /u/luckygal14
    [link] [comments]

    How do you push files from your desktop to your github?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 04:50 PM PDT

    Is there a good way to keep entire sites from being indexed by search engines besides robots.txt?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 04:45 PM PDT

    I work on multiple dev sites on Apache2 (Ubuntu) and want to prevent them from being indexed by search engines.

    I know I can deny all in the robots.txt file but that can sometimes get overwritten during updates.

    Is there another way to prevent indexing on the server level?

    Also, if it helps, the sites are all Drupal (7/8).

    submitted by /u/quantumized
    [link] [comments]

    Design competition for r/robots

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 04:32 PM PDT

    How realistic is a self-employed career in web development?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 10:06 AM PDT

    If I got to a standard where I could set up a website in the back-end to a good degree, and then had a fairly thorough understanding of HTML CSS and JavaScript,

    I wouldn't be doing it as a solid income at first, I am currently doing an apprenticeship to get me a solid wage, so it would just be for some extra cash / boost to savings.

    I know this is probably a fairly commonly asked question and a noob-level one at that, but I would appreciate any help.

    submitted by /u/TKK_TKK
    [link] [comments]

    Pros and cons of Web Developer? What do you like/dislike too!

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 03:54 PM PDT

    Made a userscript that automatically checks the "delete source branch when merge request is merged" checkbox

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 05:48 AM PDT

    The Distribution of Users’ Computer Skills: Worse Than You Think

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 01:32 AM PDT

    Beginner FrontEndWebDev here, got a first job and they sent me this video, the second animation (coloring) is supposed to happen on hover, any idea as to how I'd do this? Please help!

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 02:45 PM PDT

    Nextjs: Protected routes

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 02:28 PM PDT

    Hello guys,

    I did Wesbos advanced react course. It does authentication using cookies. However, sadly it shows no example of protecting routes and redirecting if the user is not authenticated.

    I thought about the following:

    I am using GraphQL and there is a query for requesting your own user data. It takes in nothing as the backend takes out the JWT from the cookie and resolves it to the right user. I tried to add a logic inside of my _app.js file. As I am using Apollo's hooks implementation that was not possible due to it being a class component. Second approach was a bit less advanced as I just tried to get the cookies from the browser and check if there's a token and if there is one move onto the home page. That failed because I was just able to get the cookies server sided and thus could not redirect the user.

    My last approach would be to create a HOC and wrap all pages which need authentication (basically all pages) in it.

    Any advice on how to handle protected routes on nextjs is greatly appreciated. The spectrum chat seems to be completely dead.

    submitted by /u/roconf
    [link] [comments]

    Is anyone else really tired of Triplebyte ads?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 02:12 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment