• Breaking News

    Thursday, September 26, 2019

    "My Opinionated git Cheat Sheet" by Ben Nadel web developers

    "My Opinionated git Cheat Sheet" by Ben Nadel web developers


    "My Opinionated git Cheat Sheet" by Ben Nadel

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 04:50 AM PDT

    Chrome developer Emily Stark announced plans for automatic upgrades of mixed content. In some cases of mixed content, the browser will automatically try to fetch the resource over HTTPS.

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 05:00 AM PDT

    Who wants design feedback on their website?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 01:12 PM PDT

    Hey all, happy Thursday!

    I'm a product designer who has worked at many early stage companies like Kit.com at Expa, Mixpanel and Compass.

    Reply here in the next 2 hours with a link to a webpage you want design feedback on and I will give you 2-3 concrete suggestions on how to improve clarity and conversion.

    submitted by /u/alokee
    [link] [comments]

    Questions of a new web developer

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 01:26 AM PDT

    Hi guys! So I started working as a web developer a little more than a month ago and would like some insight from people who has been in this world for far more time than me with some questions.

    1.- Can you add the website you are working in in your personal portfolio? I understand there's a confidentiality policy and I don't mean to go into deep detail about how it works, but may I post it as something I have worked in, and describe the technologies/frameworks it uses, how it's structured, the main functions it does, etc... I know this is a question I should be asking the company, and I would be doing it soon, but knowing how have you dealt with it personally and your experiences can become of help.

    2.- How does sticking to your job feels to you? I'm really comfortable in where I am, and by next month we're going to learn really interesting things from another company, but I can't help but feel that the roof is pretty low, and as soon as they teach us that, and we apply it to our website, the main work I'm going to be doing is maintenance, so since the beginning my goal was to learn as much as I can, get some easiness on that and look for another job. Am I being to cocky? Should I stick in a nice enviroment where I may or may not learn or do different things just because getting experience is good?

    3.- Another thing I want to do (as it doesn't clash with what I do at work) was trying to go freelance on my free time, get some jobs from where I get some practice, etc. But how do you start? My idea was to build a portfolio with some personal projects, and try to advertise it, but I'm really lost as to where to start.

    4.- What are some must see dose of news when it comes to web dev? I'm subbed to some subreddits here and there, but with how vast this world is and how fast it evolves, I feel like if I haven't a constant dose of incoming information I'll be left behind real fast. Anything from subreddits, forums, new pages, magazines, etc...

    That's mainly what I'm most concerned with at the moment. I appreciate the help, as having some seniors developers guide this newbie way is great help. If there's something I didn't ask that any of you think I should know, I'm all ears, any and all help is welcome.

    submitted by /u/Ian_KtK
    [link] [comments]

    I’ve been writing PHP for around 5 years and I really struggle with frameworks

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 12:55 PM PDT

    I've been writing PHP for a while now and I always start off new projects looking at frameworks, Laravel, Symphony etc but I really struggle getting to grips with them and usually end up starting over without.

    Is it just me? I want to give them a fair chance but I always feel like they're getting in my way rather than solving my problems. I also really like to understand what's happening in my code as far as possible.

    submitted by /u/ChrisG_Dev
    [link] [comments]

    CSS Perspective Playground

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 08:59 AM PDT

    Impostor Syndrome is more common than you think; Study finds best way to cope with it

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 06:50 AM PDT

    Microservices with Docker, Flask, and React Tutorial - final week

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 07:32 AM PDT

    This is the final week of sales for the "Microservices with Docker, Flask, and React" course. The course will no longer be available starting September 30.

    We're launching three new courses on September 30 as well!

    https://testdriven.io/courses/microservices-with-docker-flask-and-react/

    submitted by /u/michaelherman
    [link] [comments]

    Any Websites with Free Web Templates?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 04:45 PM PDT

    I'm looking to practice my front end skills cause I'm really just starting; well I know CSS grids and such.

    I thought I would take the corporate approach where you were with a UX/UI designer and translate their design into code. So, I was wondering if there are any websites that had free website templates that also show what colors and dimensions to use for the design.

    Hopefully what I'm asking makes sense. Help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/chataolauj
    [link] [comments]

    Why does my Script stop working when I change "tabs"

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 12:52 PM PDT

    So I have a section in my website that has two tabs, The first tab is active when you first load the page and displays a text input box and a button that runs a script for me.

    The second tab has the exact same function however when I click the second tab the script for the text input box and button, It will not run/work and I am absolutely stumped as to why.

    Here is what the tabs look like

    and here is my code for it;

    <!-- Tabs --> <div class="ftco-search my-md-5"> <div class="row"> <div class="nav nav-pills text-center" id="v-pills-tab" role="tablist" aria-orientation="vertical"><a class="nav-link active mr-md-1" id="v-pills-1-tab" data-toggle="pill" href="#v-pills-1" role="tab" aria-controls="v-pills-1" aria-selected="true">Store Performance</a>&nbsp;<a class="nav-link" id="v-pills-2-tab" data-toggle="pill" href="#v-pills-2" role="tab" aria-controls="v-pills-2" aria-selected="false">Region Performance</a> </div> </div> <div class="col-md-12 tab-wrap"> <!-- Tab 1 Content --> <div class="tab-content p-4" id="v-pills-tabContent"> <div class="tab-pane fade show active" id="v-pills-1" role="tabpanel" aria-labelledby="v-pills-nextgen-tab"> <form action="#" class="search-job"> <div class="row no-gutters"> <div class="col-md mr-md-2"> <div class="form-group"> <div class="form-field"> <div class="icon"><span class="icon-briefcase"></span></div> <!--Tab Text Input Box--> <input type="text" id="field-one" class="form-control" placeholder="Week Number..."> </div> </div> </div> <!--Tab Button--> <div class="col-md"> <div class="form-group"> <div class="form-field"> <button type="submit" id="storereport-btn" class="form-control btn btn-primary" >View Report</button> <!--Script for text input and button --> 

    <script> let button = document.getElementById('storereport-btn'); button.addEventListener('click', () => { var fieldOne = document.getElementById('field-one').value window.location.href = "https://www.ice3design.com/" + fieldOne +"" }); </script> </div> </div> </div> </div> </form> </div>

    <!-- Tab 2 Content --> <div class="tab-pane fade" id="v-pills-2" role="tabpanel" aria-labelledby="v-pills-performance-tab"> <form action="#" class="search-job"> <div class="row"> <div class="col-md"> <div class="form-group"> <div class="form-field"> <div class="icon"><span class="icon-briefcase"></span></div> <!--Tab Text Input Box--> <input type="text" id="field-one1" class="form-control" placeholder="Week Number..."> </div> </div> </div> <!--Tab Button--> <div class="col-md"> <div class="form-group"> <div class="form-field"> <button type="submit" id="storereport-btn1" class="form-control btn btn-primary" >View Report</button> 

    <!--Script for text input and button --> <script> let button = document.getElementById('storereport-btn1'); button.addEventListener('click', () => { var fieldOne1 = document.getElementById('field-one1').value window.location.href = "https://www.ice3design.com/" + fieldOne1 +"" }); </script>

    <!-- Closing Tags--> </div> </div> </div> </div> </form> </div> </div> </div> </div> </div> </div> </div> </div> </div> </div> 

    Any and all help greatly appreciated and If I can make this any clearer/provide more context please do ask

    submitted by /u/nath__b
    [link] [comments]

    Blocking regions

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 04:21 PM PDT

    Hey there,

    I was wondering if it's possible to block access to a site from particular regions? Is that something you can only do if you have an entire server of your own, or would it be possible even with a commercial host for your website?

    If it is possible, how do you go about it?

    Thanks for answering!

    submitted by /u/acutepresence
    [link] [comments]

    4 end to end testing compared. Checkout Taiko

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 04:13 PM PDT

    What you need to know about asynchronous programming in JavaScript

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 11:38 AM PDT

    Why do opening links work randomly?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 02:43 PM PDT

    How Basecamp Built a $100 Billion Business by Doing Less on Purpose: Do not innovate. Do not grow. Do not exit. And do not be a startup.

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 06:50 AM PDT

    Framework for sports society

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 02:10 PM PDT

    I am tasked to recreate the website for a small sports society (for people with a disability). Since I have limited experience, I am trying to figure out what framework to use. Hope some of you can point me in the right direction.

    1. We have the option to host it ourselves (a server is ready). Traffic is small to limited (right now it is 150 views a day, most of it are bots I expect).
    2. The website will be static. Only 'dynamic' part is that we will have to write news about events in a blogpost manner. This also includes uploading a PDF every now and then (results, schedule/programme...)
    3. People aside from me that will work on the website (i.e. provide content) have no technical skills. A CMS is a must, I guess.
    4. I have no intentions to create something related to user profiles in the future (i.e. a login base)

    Most of the experience I have is with Django. Though I think that this is overkill, and Flask might be better suited. Django CMS looks interesting, though. Just started reading about static site generators. Don' t yet see how to implement the 'news-feed' in a blogpost style. In addition, this may be too technical for the people that use the website. Wordpress... never used it myself :) What would you recommend in this case?

    submitted by /u/simthadim
    [link] [comments]

    Is JBoss Forge dead?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 02:05 PM PDT

    I recently discovered JBoss Forge and it was really impressive for generating Java EE Web Applications. However, I can't seem to find much information about the project and it almost appears inactive. It seemed like such a great tool it's hard to imagine that the project just evaporated.

    Does anyone know if Forge is still being worked on?

    submitted by /u/theMadScientist_87
    [link] [comments]

    My no-fuss simple Laravel docker starter repo. The repo I wish I had when I started containerizing Laravel (and learning Docker). I hope it helps anyone else. PRs welcome.

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 08:45 PM PDT

    Why there exists a tremendous inconsistency in relational database terminology - A vocabulary guide

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 01:51 PM PDT

    API to instantly generate unique avatars for your users

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 01:34 PM PDT

    I very much dislike Magento

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 01:25 PM PDT

    Internally, the settings and things on the Admin side are ok. They took some time to learn, but they're ok.

    However, I am at a loss when it comes to customizing code. The modularization of Magento makes it hard for me to wrap my head around where to go and what to do if I want to write some custom HTML/CSS/Javascript for a site I'm working on.

    Every tutorial I've read lays it out for me, but nothing about it is clicking. It's annoying. I miss a couple of months ago, when we were building a site from scratch and all the HTML/CSS/JavaScript was our own. It was so much easier to read and edit.

    *sigh*

    /endrant

    submitted by /u/prncrny
    [link] [comments]

    Glitch for hosting small web apps

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 01:18 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I was wondering what the general consensus (if there is one) on glitch.com is. I've used it for hosting small web apps for school projects, and I've realized it's kind of slow sometimes when cloning a git repo, plus other small nuisances. I was wondering if there are any other popular alternatives out there? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/AgileRighteousness
    [link] [comments]

    Why do successful companies redesign and change the color scheme of their website?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 01:00 PM PDT

    Like for example, twitch just redesigned their website and it looks completely different. A lot of people don't like the change. But what are the incentives of redesigning? Is it somehow faster using a different color scheme or some psychology 101 bullshit that makes users stay on the website more because they are exposed to certain colors?

    submitted by /u/buckfercilak
    [link] [comments]

    How do you set up a JSON on a local server like this Youtuber did at 3:42?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 06:58 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment