• Breaking News

    Friday, September 27, 2019

    Lightning effect using a single mesh and vertex color shader (more info in comments)

    Lightning effect using a single mesh and vertex color shader (more info in comments)


    Lightning effect using a single mesh and vertex color shader (more info in comments)

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 10:24 AM PDT

    Spyro the Dragon GEM in Unity

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 07:08 AM PDT

    Heavy Attacks Combos (Unreal Engine 4)

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 05:07 AM PDT

    Portfolio Advice

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 08:42 AM PDT

    Hey gamedev! I'm just finishing up a degree in computer science and am ready to start applying for jobs. I have a good opportunity to bring my resume to a triple A studio with recommendations from somebody who knows the director. My problem is that I lack a portfolio. I have a ton of projects finished including about 6 or 7 games, but I'm clueless on how to put everything together in a way that shows off my areas of expertise. Should I wait until my portfolio is ready to start sending out resumes? What's the standard for portfolios now for somebody with a focus on AI, procedural animation and generation, and gameplay programming? Would it be worth it to pursue a position while I'm piecing together a portfolio if I have a good recommendation already?

    Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/WiremanC3
    [link] [comments]

    Hey Game Devs! We made a Video Showing off how to do Slow Motion Sound Effects in video games! We hope you can learn something :)

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 10:56 AM PDT

    The Future Of The Unity Game Engine

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 07:01 AM PDT

    A lot of games have been made with digitally pre-rendered backgrounds, but has any game developer made backgrounds by physically building the levels in miniature and photographing them?

    Posted: 26 Sep 2019 10:24 PM PDT

    If there's a better sub for this question please let me know.

    submitted by /u/Terpomo11
    [link] [comments]

    Use Steams hardware survey to your advantage.

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 10:16 AM PDT

    Steam has a great hardware survey and I suggest using it to determine if you should support something or not.

    https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

    For instance, I will not support Mac or Linux game development on my next title. Every time people ask me why, I point them to steam hardware surveys. Mac has 2.99% and Linux has 0.80% market share, the rest is Windows. and those two platforms take up more time combined to develop for and support than windows. Totally not worth it.

    If I recall correctly they used to display aspect ratio, but I cannot find it. relevant because "ultra wide" resolutions are something less than 2% of users. Ill try to find that source again.

    submitted by /u/LumberingTroll
    [link] [comments]

    How to Setup a Project for Testing (Unity Tutorial)

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 07:04 AM PDT

    UE 4 Minutes Tutorial (for impatient people) Doors Opening Mechanics.

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 06:38 AM PDT

    If you are impatient like I am and you want to learn Unreal, I create series of UE 4 Minutes Tutorials. In this episode I show how to make doors opening mechanics in Actor Blueprint with Timeline.

    https://youtu.be/veD-eAIaIBI

    submitted by /u/kamolescu
    [link] [comments]

    Hey reddit, whats a good book on the history of game development, not about the games itself but how they were made back then? Also a book about OpenGL would be very helpful

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 03:49 AM PDT

    Morality and Guilt in Video Games | How Game Designers Reveal our Heart of Darkness using Mechanics

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 11:16 AM PDT

    Cocos2d-x 4.0 RC Is Available Now. Includes support for Metal, iOS 13, and many bug fixes

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 02:49 AM PDT

    Overwolf and Intel invested $2 million in 25 indie dev apps in past year

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 10:54 AM PDT

    Drone Pilot- LowRezJam 2019

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 04:41 AM PDT

    https://i.redd.it/vsgele9pi4p31.png

    I've written a blog post about my recent experience building a game for the lowrezjam (things I've learned etc.).

    You can also get the game for free from its itch io page.

    You control a drone and have to make deliveries to the green platforms. There are more videos and information on the blog and itch page! Here's a short play through video.

    https://reddit.com/link/d9z62l/video/m98bbndui4p31/player

    submitted by /u/programmingpixels
    [link] [comments]

    Getting into the mobile gaming universe

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 09:18 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    New to the sub because I was researching how to apply my creative writing and game design knowledge to mobile games. Also, I have all the tools I need but I have no idea how I would apply them? Do you create the mechanics first, or the visual part of it. I feel just overloaded with information and it is just super discouraging. Any advice o websites you have for me would be much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Sergiyakun
    [link] [comments]

    Frozen Flame - Winter is coming...

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 09:03 AM PDT

    How to break into the industry as a young but under-diploma-fied person ?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 02:34 AM PDT

    Hey !

    I'm Marc Jacob, 20 years old, been passioned about IT and specifically Game Dev since my early teenage years.... ZZZzzzZZZ

    I guess you know the kind of person. Of course I'm not trying to say I'm a generic person, I could say many things about myself that (hopefully) would let me stand out but I'm trying to stick to the point.

    I've never wanted to go for long, expensive studies at Uni (I'm in France so there are plenty of free education programs but still) because I'm way more efficient when self-teaching using the internet's endless resources. All I have therefore is a 2 years diploma in IT (after I graduated the local equivalent of high school).

    Now I'm trying to find my first job into the game industry as a developer. Anything would interest me - making and consuming games are different matters entirely as I'm certain you all know. Problem is, I'm encountering the well known chicken & egg problem : all job offers I've seen simply aren't open to newbies in the industry, and they all ask for SIMILAR experience (so just working in some other unrelated sector doesn't seem like it would help much). How can I get this experience if everyone is too afraid to try their luck on the youngsters ?

    Mind you, I lack official professional experience but I spent a LOT of time coding and coding and coding game-related things (even tried making my own engine in OpenGL C++ once, gave up at the time because my student project arrived and needed all my attention). Yet I see no way of making it count on all these websites where you gotta specify the years of experience you have that probably automatically ignore you if you don't have some minimum amount.

    If you have any tips, I'd be happy to hear. Got plenty of time to find work too, but the longer it takes the more I stress about it. As a portfolio I have 3 published games online and 1 game which I'm not really proud of but that I can show during meetings (it's installed on my phone).

    submitted by /u/Hoshiqua
    [link] [comments]

    What benchmarks are most relevant to you?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 12:16 PM PDT

    Hey all! I work for a technology website that reviews computer hardware (everything from creator-centric monitors and laptops to GPUs), and we're establishing a new testing regimen for our benchmarks.

    I don't know the first thing about modeling or content creation, which is why I'm here. What benchmarks/programs would be most relevant to your workflows? What programs do you use most often, and what are some of the limitations you see in your hardware that take the most time out of your day? Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks!

    submitted by /u/ex1stence
    [link] [comments]

    Calling all Unity tilemap experts!

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 11:45 AM PDT

    Noob here (apparently). I'm making a tile-based pixel art game in Unity and getting the ever so classic problem where the cracks between each tile flashes occasionally. I've set the tiles to "Full rect" and disabled anti-aliasing. Is there something I'm missing? What's the secret?

    submitted by /u/FreddyMizar
    [link] [comments]

    Avoid If Statements in C#!?

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 11:45 AM PDT

    Article

    I've done a lot of Unity/C# tutorials where if statements are used regularly.

    Is there a reason why they don't teach this?

    submitted by /u/J_Winn
    [link] [comments]

    Building a new workstation: Questions

    Posted: 27 Sep 2019 11:43 AM PDT

    My goal is to replace my 7 year old system with a stable machine that can be used 12+ hours a day, I expect to use this machine for the next 5-10 years. All help is appreciated!

    Software:

    • Unreal Engine 4 and Unity 5
    • Maya / Max / Blender
    • Photoshop
    • Premier
    • Substance
    • Z Brush
    • Sonar
    • Visual Studio

    Questions:

    1. I have been watching every video I can find on the AMD 3900, but none use game development tools to test it, anyone have links to people conducting tests compiling code, and or generating light maps? I know they use a Blender test which is great but I am looking for more detail.
    2. Anyone using the new AMD platform with the above software having any trouble with crashing?
    3. Anyone using Windows 7 on the new platform for game development and have any success? My plan is to make the switch to Windows 10 on a new SSD but I will be also keeping my Windows 7 intact as a backup for tools that still either run better on things I have tested or are out of date but still need to be available for old projects.
    4. One thing I have found in research was that you might need to update the AMD MOBO BIOS so it will support 128 GB of memory? Anyone have this issue?
    5. Anyone have both an Intel and AMD 9900K and 3900x in the same shop and compared them for doing the same jobs? Any data?
    6. How well did light map generation go using Unreal 4 or Unity 5 using the AMD?
    7. Using Visual Studio - Test Compiling Unreal Source - Any data?
    8. Any motherboards to avoid?
    9. Any vendors to avoid in the USA? Amazon, New egg, etc?
    10. What cooling are you using on either the Intel and AMD?
    11. Price in power usage per month difference between AMD vs Intel?
    12. Raytracing using Unreal 4 lower priority but would love to hear about any issues if any using either Intel or AMD.
    • NOTE: I just recently 3 months ago removed my Linux, Vista, and Windows XP quad-boot setup as I waited for Windows 10 to mature.

    If you are a youtuber that does hardware reviews please send me a link to your channel, and since I might buy a few of these machines for myself and teammates it would be worth it for me to sponsor a video or at least contribute I have no idea what that costs. So please let me know.

    Thank you the assistance!

    -Vex

    submitted by /u/vexargames
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment