• Breaking News

    Tuesday, September 24, 2019

    Is it feasible to make a hand-animated sprite game with deep character customization? Turns out, yeah (tips, GIFs, and code examples)

    Is it feasible to make a hand-animated sprite game with deep character customization? Turns out, yeah (tips, GIFs, and code examples)


    Is it feasible to make a hand-animated sprite game with deep character customization? Turns out, yeah (tips, GIFs, and code examples)

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 10:48 AM PDT

    I wrote a TIGSource devblog about how I built a modular character system for sprites in Unity.

    Snappy, traditionally-animated pixel characters with interchangeable hair, equipment, and held items. No pre-rendered sprites or skeletal/paper-doll animation here.

    In the end, the results well-exceeded my expectations. You can find the blog with GIFs of the finished character here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59805.msg1412118#msg1412118

    Some information is Unity-centric, but the ideas should be broadly applicable. In the blog, I discuss:

    • Process: art tests, estimates, and time tracking
    • Palette swapping tactics and implementation
    • How to automate your workflow for Aesprite and Unity (with code examples)
    • How to make your own simple editor tools for batch processing sprites in Unity
    • Issues with Unity's animation controller (Mecanim) and when to use your own sprite animator (there's a pastebin to my simple sprite animator that you can use for free)

    This blog is already at the TIGSource max character limit so I wasn't able to go into as much detail as I would have liked in some places. Let me know if you have any questions or want more code/examples.

    NOTE: Reposting this once from yesterday (sorry!) because I goofed up the title.

    submitted by /u/lunoland
    [link] [comments]

    Requiem for my 10yo Flash game.

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 10:33 AM PDT

    Since Flash is on the way out. Here is a bit of a requiem for flash game that I made about 10 years ago.

    It took about 8 months to make the game. Mostly full days every day. The game failed miserably. Co-incidentally, around that time I had a major personal setback, so I just let the game die on the vine, so to speak. I wanted it to be the basis for a franchise but needed to find real work, so there it went. I'll bold the names of tools I used.

    Anyways, I like the domain name so I kept it online with no traffic. And moved on to other things.

    Last week I got a call from a former client telling me that Flash will no longer be supported and that got me thinking about writing a post like this.

    The game is Cluster Chaos, http://clusterchaos.com

    - it still plays :) hooray for Flash!

    I just did a quick reddit search, and I didn't find a hit on the name. I guess I didn't post it here although that's kinda hard to believe.

    IMHO, I think the game play is unique. You control a small parasite ship and your mothership helps with its big guns to blow the crap out of the bad guys.

    Fun Facts about its development:

    • Solo project, full time, about 8 months - maybe 10 - 90% of that time was polish.
    • These dev notes are pieced together from the source tree (svn)
    • The game was written in HaXe, which is a fine language, but I was also impressed with the Actionscript API. I loved it and wish I could use it again.
    • I out-sourced the graphics on the space ships, some assets, and logo.
    • The planets I created myself in GIMP - and if you didn't know, making planets in GIMP is a lot of fun.
    • I posted the planets to opengameart.org if you interested: https://opengameart.org/content/planets-0
    • A few graphics were done using Inkscape
    • The character graphics I did myself, which is why they are bad.
    • I count 151 sound files in total. The vast majority being voice overs.
    • I roped my sister-in-law into doing the female voice over. I did the male.
    • I wrote a number of Perl scripts to automate some tasks:
    • *.wav files were converted to mp3 using lame
    • another script shifted coordinates used in bezier curves
    • another script renamed sound files to something or other, that I'm sure was useful at the time
    • lame was used again, to adjust the volumes and bitrates of all sound files to make them consistent
    • Recording was done with Audacity - although in hindsight, I'm not sure. (Maybe I didn't use Audacity)
    • A program called Resound was used for some sound processing too but I don't remember why.
    • - this meant I had a Windows dual boot with OpenSuse installed so I could use Resound
    • The game has a story and 30 levels. But the last 20 levels are inaccessible since the-in app purchase system is no longer online.
    • Battlestar Galactica was popular at the time, thus the incoming nukes feature.
    • Making the story was fun. I wish I was a big-time movie producer.

    If you try to play the game, I think the controls are pretty standard for keyboards. But today I found them a bit wonky. I also found that some graphics were missing from the play area. I wonder if something in the core Flash engine has changed in the last decade?

    Also, I'm sorry about the popup ad. Keep your mouse in the play area to avoid it. Again. I'm sorry.

    The links embedded in the game probably don't go anywhere. Probably to pages that have long since been abandoned.

    There are lots of screen caps on the website along with story stuff.

    Oh, I also had great fun creating/editing the youtube videos. Video editing is a blast even with just Movie Maker. That is where I learned how rhythm is so important. Everything, every transition, every event on screen has to hit a beat. I'm not sure how well I did it, but doing those videos is how I learned that everything is rhythm. I even noticed it in sitcoms now, where jokes have to land on the beat (or am I crazy?).

    I am considering a remake of this game. I even started one but not sure I'll finish it.

    That is all. I was alone in making this and I want to tell someone about it before it became unplayable.

    Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/RaptorRex
    [link] [comments]

    Please evaluate the model

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 09:14 AM PDT

    UE 4 Minutes tutorials for impatient people

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 06:07 AM PDT

    Hey,

    I learn all my Unreal Engine skills from YouTube tutorials but I am very impatient person. For me the shorter tutorial the better. That's why I created this series of UE 4 Minutes Tutorials for Impatient People :)

    https://youtu.be/8unemPiciHo

    submitted by /u/kamolescu
    [link] [comments]

    C++ Tricks: Fast RTTI and Dynamic Cast

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 12:42 AM PDT

    First ever project on Javascript: SHAKE 1.0 Pseudo-Random Legal Chess Position Generator

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 08:54 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I wanted to share my first ever project on Javascript. SHAKE 1.0 will generate a pseudo-random legal chess position every time the page loads. It's available at https://en.alpaso.club/shake. It took me one week of hard work and a total of 300 lines. I consider it an original work since I did not look at any other example out there. I'm aware it could look quite ugly to most of you but it is my first try and wanted to share it with the world. All comments are welcome. The raw code is available at https://alpaso.club/wp-content/themes/alpaso/fen.js

    submitted by /u/tekove
    [link] [comments]

    Is it frowned upon to apply for 2 different positions within the same studio?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 08:25 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    So I'm considering applying for 2 positions at a large AAA studio.

    I applied for 1 position just over a week ago and now a new one has appeared which I'm better suited for.

    Do I cancel the original and apply, or apply for the new one and wait on both?

    I'm not sure what the correct way of doing this is, or what the etiquette is.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/HD5HJ
    [link] [comments]

    Let's talk about the little things

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 09:42 AM PDT

    As an Indie Developer and a gamer, I would like to know

    What is something small or simple in a game that you've played that made the player enjoy the game a bit more

    submitted by /u/kaintto
    [link] [comments]

    3D pixel art like in Crying Suns

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 05:45 AM PDT

    After seeing the pixel art in Crying Suns, I'm fascinated, because to me, it appears to be a perfect combination of 3D rendering and pixel art. I'd like to hear some more insight into why it works so well there. Something I already figured is that the pixel art is extended to ship textures, with nearest neighbour filtering instead of bilinear, and that ships are modeled in a very blocky fashion. This makes it possible to correctly calculate lighting.

    But what other important details can you spot in this game's presentation?

    submitted by /u/dv_
    [link] [comments]

    Putting together a team

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 12:22 AM PDT

    How do yall go about finding and putting together a team, especially if you have little to no budget? For years I've been trying to bring together a team for my game for a proof-of-concept demo to eventually gain funding for said game, but any time I post about it anywhere, specifically trying to find help with art and level design, I get no responses.

    submitted by /u/sapphicSpadassin
    [link] [comments]

    2d Fighting game AI pathfinding

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 10:51 AM PDT

    I've started working on a 2d fighter similar to Duck Game or Samurai Gunn, and I need to add player AI for the player to fight against.

    I have the movement and map generation down (for the map I use a 60x90 matrix to store the positions of blocks for the map), and I've created nodes for the tiles (IE, if a tile is the left/rightmost edge of a platform, if its the inside of a platform or a single peak tile), but I want to make sure I'm going in the right direction for the AI.

    I was planning on using the A* algorithm to do the movement of the computer, but I'm not sure if this is the correct thing to do.

    My big question is if there are other pathfinding algorithms that are simpler and can still get the job done on such a small map.

    submitted by /u/King0fWhales
    [link] [comments]

    Oct Indie Horror Game Dev Showcase - deadline sept 27th

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 08:24 AM PDT

    r/horrorgaming does an annual indie horror dev focus in Oct. If you would like to be included please contact the mods at r/horrorgaming by Sept 27th.

    submitted by /u/ittleoff
    [link] [comments]

    Some Story advice

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 10:36 AM PDT

    I host map games with some friends of mine, those are basically where I have a map and they play as a country. We have reached the point where two of my players have Space-X like companies and 5 of the 8 have ICBMs. I have incorporated random events and scenarios like where a terrorist attack happened or a rare flock of geese was seen. Do any of you have good ideas for possible events? Anything helps, a small idea could work and I can incorporate it by myself but I'm running dry.

    submitted by /u/Map_Games_Account
    [link] [comments]

    If you were to cut 1 part of your design, what would it be? Now consider doing it!

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 10:20 AM PDT

    I need a bit of help with pricing on the development of a "pack of games"

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 10:08 AM PDT

    I'm a game development student soon to gratuade, I'm working with a friend of mine who's a producer who had an Idea for an app that houses several simple games whithin(the hyper casual type of game), He found about me being a student in game development and now we're working together on this, we want to hire professionals to work on it for us but we have yet to find a budget for it since I know what it takes to develop but I haven't worked as a developer, so I don't have an estimate for pricing of people or time for project, we have a meeting in a few weeks and I need to run the numbers as of how much that would cost so we can start pitching from that, can someone help me with the price and time of development of simple games?(not asking for you to work for us, we just need an estimate for pricing)

    submitted by /u/That_one_sander
    [link] [comments]

    People say my music sounds like video game music.

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 10:03 AM PDT

    PM me if you are interested in using it or if you have any questions. I can refine earlier works or even make new stuff. I have all the HQ audio files. I try to make each of my songs unique. It's not suited for everyone's tastes. I like to draw inspiration from industrial, but I have developed my own sort of "strategic synthesizer chaos" as I'd like to put it.

    https://soundcloud.com/tocollide

    For first impressions, I'll lay down the links for these songs:

    https://soundcloud.com/tocollide/upside

    https://soundcloud.com/tocollide/trust

    https://soundcloud.com/tocollide/primal

    https://soundcloud.com/tocollide/brain-suck

    Also, this is an old, abandoned account:

    https://soundcloud.com/damofo

    submitted by /u/damofoca
    [link] [comments]

    Substance Painter for Beginners Tutorial

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 02:52 PM PDT

    Need Advice (Someone who wants to become a gamedev) Canada Trios College

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 09:15 AM PDT

    Hello

    I am a late 30's male and after investing and being smart with my money I am rapidly realizing that I no longer want to do what I do. I have never liked my job but it has allowed me to gain financial freedom. When I was 18 I dropped out of grade 10 and joined the armed forces. So I never finished my high school (I am an idiot I know) I have have a great idea for a game but no idea how to make it a reality. So I decided to look at learning how to be a game developer. I was looking at going to a college or university and taking courses however my issue is I lack the math credits from high school in order to be accepted.

    So from here I am not sure what to do, my options so far are thus

    -Hire a math tutor and challenge the college entrance exam

    -Pay to go to a private college named Trios

    Now I am not really all that interested in working for another company as money is not a factor for me, however I do see a huge benefit from gaining skills and experience working under someone. Does anyone know if a college like trios will teach me the skills I need or am I better looking somewhere else?

    Thank you all

    submitted by /u/ozeor
    [link] [comments]

    Blender 2.8 Sculpting Features: Mirror & Insert Mode

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 05:21 AM PDT

    How were the 3D effects in SNES Donkey Kong Country 2 done?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 02:10 AM PDT

    You can see them here ... or just play the game.

    I'm talking about the psuedo-3d of the background deck planks. It seems to be 3d, having double sided primitives (not pun), but the cart likely couldn't do this without an auxiliary chip like the Super FX or Cx4 chips (or most likely the SA1); of which wikipedia claims it did not make use of.

    Things I've tried: Well, nothing, as this is more of a historical question than an implementation one.

    submitted by /u/Lokarin
    [link] [comments]

    x/post Trying to figure out the best way to do an endless, non-linear road. Any help/suggestions/confirmations much appreciated.

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 08:53 AM PDT

    is Unity-DOTS faster than unreal-no-DOTS?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 11:53 AM PDT

    This Youtube playlist is trail of my 4 year game development progress

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 11:50 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment