• Breaking News

    Sunday, September 22, 2019

    I made a dynamic muzzle flash by rigging a spiky mesh and applying some random scaling and rotation

    I made a dynamic muzzle flash by rigging a spiky mesh and applying some random scaling and rotation


    I made a dynamic muzzle flash by rigging a spiky mesh and applying some random scaling and rotation

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 09:06 AM PDT

    Free 4.5G Audio Library to use in your games, CC BY 4.0. Includes 115+ Music tracks and 7 Sound Effect Packs. Features download all option. Hope these come in handy!

    Posted: 21 Sep 2019 11:10 PM PDT

    A new tool, Pixel Game Maker MV released a few days ago. I wanted to know what are gamedev thoughts about it

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 08:39 AM PDT

    So I opened up steam just now and this popped up: Steam page

    It is by the same creators of RPG Maker, but this one seems to be focusing at creating more diverse genres of 2D games, such as side-scrollers, platforming, action games, etc.

    I most likely won't buy it simply because I'm not the target audience. Just as like RPG Maker, it is made to cater primarily to amateur creators wanting to make games with little to no programming experience.

    Still, it is a new tool on the market and I wanted to see if anyone here has tried it, or even if not, what are your general thoughts about it.

    submitted by /u/BestMomo
    [link] [comments]

    What options are there for tired AAA Animators?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 02:11 AM PDT

    I've worked in videogame dev for over 10 years, currently at AAA in UK. I'm happy where I am but I am convinced there will be no work for me post 40 or the studio will go kaput and I'll be out on my arse again.

    Has anyone transitioned from the games industry to something secure and stable that hasn't been a programmer?

    I am starting to think I'll need to restudy to earn a decent wage.

    submitted by /u/GameDevThrowAwayz
    [link] [comments]

    When should I start balancing my game?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 05:17 AM PDT

    I'm making a turn-based combat system, and at the moment the player's moves are pretty unbalanced, meaning there are some moves and stratagies that are much more powerful then others.
    The game is in a really early stage of development, so I'm wondering if I should be focusing on balancing the combat until the game is really fun, or continue implementing the main features of the game and focus on polishing the gameplay later.

    submitted by /u/kaddykins
    [link] [comments]

    Look what escaped from Area 51

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 11:32 AM PDT

    How Does Multiplayer / Networking Work?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 11:03 AM PDT

    The question in the title is a little vague. What I mean is how does a client running a game stay in sync with another client in a multiplayer game (Specifically an FPS game) and how do both clients compute collisions, objects, graphics, etc at the same time? Do they send the data to a separate server which synchronizes both clients or do they both connect to each other and send the data directly? What software is required for multiplayer to function? I am currently using Unity to create an FPS game but I don't know how to implement multiplayer.

    submitted by /u/Pixelated_King
    [link] [comments]

    Stock textures or preset graphical assets in major game titles

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 06:47 AM PDT

    The usage of synth presets or samples in music and sound design during game development is pretty common. I wonder if the same happens with graphics. Do you know any major games that used any stock textures, preset models or whole assets?

    submitted by /u/WallpaperOwl
    [link] [comments]

    What IS a game?

    Posted: 21 Sep 2019 11:13 PM PDT

    "Let's ask our selves this philosophical question"

    But in all seriousness, what would be in your opinion the bare minimum of elements needed for an application to qualify as a "video game", and not just a simulator or an interactive movie?

    Please note that I'm not talking about what makes a good/bad game. I've played my share of horrible and boring games, but they were still technically games.

    submitted by /u/MrFarePlay
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner dev

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 09:36 AM PDT

    Ive noticed my biggest flaw as a beginning game dev is when I plan a game, more ideas come to me for other games until I get overwhelmed and just stop caring about game development. Anyone have this problem, and if so how do you work around it?

    submitted by /u/hippopatamooses
    [link] [comments]

    How do you keep a colorful game from appearing disarrayed, annoying, or visually confusing?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 07:21 AM PDT

    Would appreciate either methods learned from your own projects or other existing games.

    submitted by /u/Techne03
    [link] [comments]

    Learning C++

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 04:13 AM PDT

    I'm interested in learning game dev using C++. As far as knowledge of coding goes, I know the very very basics like variables, strings, if functions. And just started a course on Web development html, css, JS (I'm learn for eventually getting a job in Web development) and want to make/learn to make games on the side but want to use c++ for learning and future advantages.

    But how do you recommend starting my journey into c++ game dev. I'm know to start I will have to learn the basics. I know it will take time, I would just like some guidance to know what direction I need to take. Because after learning the basics I don't know where to go next.

    submitted by /u/nDICE
    [link] [comments]

    Game Networking Demystified, Part V: Client Prediction

    Posted: 21 Sep 2019 01:25 PM PDT

    Best Way to Build Top Down Space 4X

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 11:53 AM PDT

    So I have been wanting to develop a top down space 4X game inspired by Stellaris, Aurora 4x, and Distant Worlds. What is the best way to code/structure it? It does not have to be too flashy graphically, I want only 2D images, similar to Distant Worlds for ships and planets. I was thinking C++ or C#. It is possible to use C# for the graphics, and use C as a back-end for all calculations? Any input is highly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/TinkerPox
    [link] [comments]

    updating xcode projects

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 11:53 AM PDT

    I made an updated version of a game and I now need to import it into xcode, without making it a completely new project. I don't want to keep re-importing all the sdks every time I update the game. Anyone here skilled with xcode?

    submitted by /u/Adootus
    [link] [comments]

    Help! - In need of an Interview for College.

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 11:41 AM PDT

    Hey all!

    I'm a student in university majoring in game design. This semester I'm taking a communication class and one of the assignments in this class is to interview someone from my desired field of profession. I'm a bit busy however, and going and doing an in person interview just can't really fit into my schedule at the moment, so I took to the internet to ask you all.

    I would appreciate it if any one of you would take the time to answer these 5 questions about how it is working in the industry, you'd really be helping me out.

    1.) Could you tell me about your history in game design and a general idea about your current project(s).

    2.) What does a typical work day look like for you?

    3.) What's the toughest challenge you've faced to date with your work?

    4.) What skills would you consider necessary for a job like this?

    5.) If there is one thing you could tell a starting out game designer/developer what would it be?

    Again, if you can answer I'd really appreciate it, and I'll try to stay down in the comments interacting with everyone, but I still have other work to do so forgive me if it takes me awhile to respond.

    And one last thing, if you could include a name with your responses that'd be awesome, it doesn't have to be your real name, just something you wouldn't mind being called.

    Again Thank you.

    submitted by /u/SmileyDev
    [link] [comments]

    How I marketed my indie game to the popular page of itch.io

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 11:32 AM PDT

    How can I estimate hosting costs for my Unreal Engine 4 game?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 11:28 AM PDT

    Matches would last around 5 minutes, for 2 or 4 players, with Elo-based matchmaking, unranked matches, and private matches.

    Should I just use Epic Online Services (which is apparently free) and call it a day?

    submitted by /u/vgambit
    [link] [comments]

    **Single most important thing** on your steam store page to get a 'visitor' to 'whishlist' your game?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 07:34 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    So a potential player comes to your store page, and he/she does not know what the game is about nor if they would like or want to play it. Some curiosity brought them here and willing to give your game few seconds of their attention. Now, how can you make them stay a few seconds longer,view your entire page,spark more curiously and wishlist your game?

    What is the single most important thing you can do to or have on your page to get a visitor to wishlist your game?

    To me the the first 2 seconds of the trailer is the most obvious. Also, the first few lines on your description.

    I'd appreciate any input you have and would love to hear from those of you who have "been there done that".

    Note that I didn't say how to make some one buy your game, just wishlist -interest/potential to buy.

    Thank you for you time!

    submitted by /u/AutoRotate180
    [link] [comments]

    Why it’s important that we push back on Auto Chess being a “genre”

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 11:15 AM PDT

    WorldCombatSim: Generic Vehicle CROWS, MLRS UI

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 11:08 AM PDT

    Lessons learned, the third devlog for my September 1GAM, Augury

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 10:52 AM PDT

    Anti Cheating in Multiplayer Game

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 10:47 AM PDT

    Suppose we have a game that saves players high scores on the server. how can we prevent (or at least protect in some degree) the player from cheating by using a software such a cheatengine to alter the result and then send higher record to the server?

    I know about dotfoscator. But i don't think that would be enough .

    submitted by /u/Johnbalj
    [link] [comments]

    I made a lot of #cute #characters. and.... BOOM...!!������ https://t.co/p95d8g4ufd

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 10:24 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment