• Breaking News

    Monday, September 23, 2019

    How do you deal with adults treating Game Development as the bane of progress?

    How do you deal with adults treating Game Development as the bane of progress?


    How do you deal with adults treating Game Development as the bane of progress?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 06:18 AM PDT

    I have relatives that treats my profession as a game designer as the cause for laziness to children. My father tells me that all I know is gaming and that I'm too lazy to get a real job, and my uncle tells me that my profession is a contributor to millennials being lazy gamers.

    Have any of you dealt with this issue before? And if you have, how did you cope with it?

    submitted by /u/Twisted_Gold_Bricks
    [link] [comments]

    Sid Meier talks in-depth on creation of first Civilization and shows an early version of the game where he made the art

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 08:09 AM PDT

    It had been the work of a programmer who developed it while not entirely sober

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 02:47 AM PDT

    Pixel Cyberpunk

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 09:37 AM PDT

    How did you become a game developer?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 06:20 AM PDT

    I'm currently on my last year of high school, and i've been thinking what to do once i finish. I'm very interested in becoming a game developer, although i still need a lot of practice and knowledge (I started a little bit late, i know)

    Until some time ago, i was thinking about going to college and get a degree in computer engineering (Being the closest option to programming i found near my area), but after hearing some stories from gamedevs that regret going to college or ended up quitting in the middle of it, i'm not sure if it's a good idea anymore.

    In your case, what did you ended up doing?, Did you regret it or do you think it was worth it?

    submitted by /u/G1gaD3ath
    [link] [comments]

    Interesting mechanics

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 11:50 AM PDT

    Game development - toy the Devil

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 11:16 AM PDT

    Patreon-based Monetization?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 02:01 AM PDT

    I'm getting close to releasing a demo for my own game (mechanics/functionality are done, just need to write some more content!) and I've been considering the pros/cons of having a Patreon vs. trying to launch a Kickstarter. I only know of one game that's gone this route, however (Beware), and I'm wondering if anyone has any other examples or even personal experience to share. Would a Patreon be a particularly bad idea? Would it cause me any problems down the road if I do decide to try a Kickstarter?

    submitted by /u/the-stain
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a Musician/Composer Offering to Create Music for Your Project!

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 12:42 PM PDT

    Hey devs I am a musical composer and producer looking to satisfy your games/films/projects in a perfect and fitting manner! I'd love to help create a major aspect of your world and sculpt that missing musical vibe - examples of my work is below

    Electric 8-Bit Influenced Video Game Jams

    ~

    Lo-Fi Hip Hop/Dance Tunes

    ~

    Film Background Ambiance

    ~

    Podcast Theme Funk Snippets

    ~

    Please email audioasismusic@gmail.com or message me back to contact

    ~

    I look forward to hearing from you!

    submitted by /u/beneath_the_bottom
    [link] [comments]

    Introducing Google Play Pass ($4.99/month, $1.99/month for first year)

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 11:56 AM PDT

    When is the best time to post a Steam Update/Announcement?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 03:18 AM PDT

    Hi there, I'm part of an indie studio and our latest project has been live on Steam (in Early Access) for roughly 4 months now. We're pretty active devs, we post updates every 2 weeks or so, we're very fast in responding to our forum threads and host a stream every Friday. In spite of this our user-engagement is low, our community is pretty quiet and we've been looking for ways of optimizing this previously-mentioned engagement rate.

    Which brings me to my question: Is there an optimal time to post an update? Steam also delivers a notification if you're online when a game posts an update, so I'm thinking there must be a peak. My first guess would be the time zone of our players, but I am wondering if there is more to this.

    If there are among you devs with a bit more experience on the matter, we'd terribly appreciate the support.

    Thank you for reading!

    Love, Snail

    submitted by /u/thesadsnail
    [link] [comments]

    Open Jam 2019 build an open source game this weekend!

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 10:39 AM PDT

    Here's my latest Royalty Free Music. It's a melodic piano instrumental and it's free to download ! Feel free to use it in your creations !

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 10:22 AM PDT

    Game Launch: Spending $1000 on facebook ads vs on influencer marketing

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 10:09 AM PDT

    "1000$ and… it's gone"

    That pretty much sums up my first try at driving pre-release sales for my game on steam as an indie developer back in 2015.

    I used Facebook Ads as my main acquisition channel because I thought it was the most "data-driven" solution and spent the rest in a PR software… and it was not worth it. I've learnt from my mistakes and today I wrote a guide to help other indie game developers to sell more games.

    Let me know what you think about this noob guide to influencer marketing and what has been the most effective acquisition channel for your own game.

    https://medium.com/revolt-gaming-influencer-marketing/gaming-marketing-the-noob-guide-to-promote-your-game-on-steam-with-influencers-7284a06bf898

    edit: typo

    submitted by /u/RemiV2
    [link] [comments]

    I shouldn't have spent 5 years to prove me wrong

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 07:41 AM PDT

    The game has launched several days earlier, but now I regret making it. I'll never spend such a long time making something again. It just costs too much.

    submitted by /u/zacx_z
    [link] [comments]

    Open Source and Citations/Crediting of Third Party Code

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 01:16 PM PDT

    Hello, I am looking to use several libraries in my game engine like FreeType, glm, etc...

    The code will be open source in the end however I am having trouble finding information on the specific case of how would one credit third party code/software that's not directly included in the source.

    For example, in my public repo I only include the source code that I made personally. I do not include third party source and instead provide instructions on which dependencies the project relies on.

    The code uses these libraries but they are not included in the repository. How do I credit the authors? Would I just include credits in the README? In distributed binaries?

    submitted by /u/ArcMP
    [link] [comments]

    Designing an ASCII neighborhood map of NYC for a squad-based gangster simulation game

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 01:06 PM PDT

    Jack's Tales - my first game made on C++ with SFML . Source code on GitHub

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 09:19 AM PDT

    Best engine for 2d pixel based game?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 12:49 PM PDT

    I want to create a 2d game. Similar to pocket tanks. The most essential part in the game is destruction of the ground after shooting ammos. So which engine is suitable for my need?

    submitted by /u/neeraj_chavan
    [link] [comments]

    i have lots of game ideas and its not helping my mood.

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 12:24 PM PDT

    so i have lots of ideas for video games, but i just cant get into programming, its too boring for me, its not that i cant grasp the concepts, its just that i don't have the perseverance to learn any actual programming language, leaving me in a pool of my own ideas, unable to drain them out of me and into the form of interactive media, it makes me sad because i don't have ambitions strong enough to make me learn programming, but its also making me feel worthless and even making me cry, what do you guys suggest?

    submitted by /u/foxstarfive
    [link] [comments]

    Unity or game maker studio 2?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 12:09 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm brazilian, so I'm using google translator.

    I am a beginner, and want to focus on one of these game engines, I plan in the future to make procedurally generated games like terraria, metroidvanias, rpgs, etc. I want to make games for android, which of these game engines will be best for me? thank you for the patience.

    submitted by /u/Paolo_GSilva
    [link] [comments]

    Creating a modular character system for hand-animated sprites with process tips, GIFs, and code examples

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 11:59 AM PDT

    I recently posted a detailed devblog on TIGSource about building a modular character system for hand-animated sprites: Snappy, traditionally-animated pixels with a customizable character (interchangeable hair, equipment, and held items).

    Another gamedev friend really encouraged me to share it on reddit, and so I did*.

    https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59805.msg1412118#msg1412118

    The blog is fairly Unity-centric, but the techniques are applicable elsewhere (the shader snippets should apply broadly since it's just CG/HLSL).

    In this blog, I cover:

    • Time tracking, planning, estimates
    • Application of palette swap techniques in Unity
    • Automating workflow for Aesprite and Unity
    • Getting started writing editor tools.
    • Issues with Unity's animation controller (Mecanim) and writing your own sprite animator (there's a pastebin link to a copy of my simple sprite animator asset you can use for free)

    This blog actually hit the character limit for TIGSource, so I wasn't able to go into detail on everything, but feel free to contact me up with any additional questions, or if you need more context for the code snippets!

    *I read the rules as closely as I could, but I only ever lurk on reddit so please be gentle if I goofed something up, this is my first post here

    submitted by /u/lunoland
    [link] [comments]

    Would a 2D choise based game work?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 11:41 AM PDT

    I have an idea to make a 2D choice-based game similar to the Telltale games but in 2D.

    So fellow Gamedevs; Think that a game like this would work??

    submitted by /u/luudt
    [link] [comments]

    Which engine should I use?

    Posted: 23 Sep 2019 11:27 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, hope you're enjoying your time :) So, I'm a beginner, and I'm starting with gamemaker. My big plan, is a 2d rpg game, something like undertale with better graphics, new features, much more decisions and available paths. That seems ridiculous since I'm a beginner, and I know it. But as I said, it's the big plan that I will start when I'm ready, not anytime soon. My main options are Gamemaker Studio and Unity. I know undertale was created in GMS and that inspired me, but I don't know if it's better than unity 2d if stuff are going be complicated. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Shiep36
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment