• Breaking News

    Wednesday, September 25, 2019

    Great tutorials from a uni professor learn programming

    Great tutorials from a uni professor learn programming


    Great tutorials from a uni professor

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 11:59 AM PDT

    Hi! I've recently bumped into a great website on programming that contains full Java tutorial, as well as C/C++, Python, JavaScript, Databases, Android programming, HTML/CSS, Linux, Arduino and lots of other stuff. Everything is laid out perfectly and easy to understand. The website and tutorials do not belong to me, I'm just sharing an undiscovered gem.

    https://www.ntu.edu.sg/home/ehchua/programming/

    submitted by /u/_LetTheGamesBegin_
    [link] [comments]

    Career advice for a 39 y/o wanting to change to coding...

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 03:01 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    Please bear with me, this might be long!

    As the title says, I'm a 39 y/o wanting to change careers. For the last 15(ish) years, I've been a Paramedic, but I feel I've reached the end of that journey. I've lost my passion for it and, after some thinking and exploring, have decided I'd like to pursue a coding career.

    I studied "Computing" at school and college some years ago and am well aware that things are very different now. Back then, the internet was a fledgling, mobiles didn't really exist and a career in computers didn't attract me all that much. Fast forward to now and I find the whole arena fascinating and have been dabbling with various courses - CS50, Treehouse etc. I'm part way through the CS50 course, studying C at the moment and I'm finding it fun , challenging and engaging.

    So, on to my question. I was chatting to my boss this week, raising the idea of taking a career break to potentially go and study at a boot camp here in the UK. I was overheard by one of the ladies who works here, but in a different department. Long and short of it, she spoke to her boss and the potential opportunity has arisen to take a secondment within our Business Intelligence department, using SQL to produce reports etc and creating apps using Microsoft Powerapps.

    I'm excited by the opportunity, but am not sure whether I should take it or not. What attracts me to coding is the problem solving elements and also the actual coding itself - I even find it quite therapeutic! I'm worried that this will take me into more of an analysis/data analytics side and I'm unsure whether that will align with or support my longer term goals.

    Does anyone have any similar experiences to this? Any advice that you could offer would be great!

    Thanks all!

    Edit: Thank you all for the overwhelming response! I'll try and reply individually over the next day or so, but I'll try and post updates for anyone who's interested! You lot are brilliant!

    submitted by /u/mikef80
    [link] [comments]

    Please tell us your ideas for the upcoming project-based algorithms section of freeCodeCamp.org

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 11:49 AM PDT

    Hello, reddit. I am Vivek Agrawal. I am responsible for developing the algorithms section of freeCodeCamp.org's upcoming project-based curriculum.

    A few months back freeCodeCamp.org's founder Quincy Larson announced that we will be building a new version (viz. 7.0) of the freeCodeCamp.org's curriculum. Version 7.0 will be project-oriented. You'll learn by building real-world apps ^_^. You can read the full announcement here, please come back here after reading the announcement :) - Help us build Version 7.0 of the freeCodeCamp curriculum 1.

    If you didn't click on the announcement link let me make things clear for you. In the new project-based model you will learn web development skills by building real-world apps/games. For e.g. here's how the "Learn Basic JavaScript by Building a Role Playing Game" looks like: https://codepen.io/beaucarnes/pen/BbLWpe. You will learn by coding the app in small parts. In these 5 years of our operation, we have realized that people learn much better by actually building real-world apps so I hope now you are excited to read further ;).

    Presently the algorithms section have dozens of challenges to develop problem-solving skills in our campers. The algorithmic section is not like how you might be imagining, it's not about those sorting techniques, binary search, Dijkstra, etc. It's all about problems. It's about challenging problems. I encourage you to take a quick look at the JavaScript Algorithms and Data structures section of our present curriculum: https://learn.freecodecamp.org/.

    We have decided to build three different apps/games to develop algorithmic thinking in campers. Firstly we will develop a basic app which will offer problems related to arrays, strings, and other primitive data types. Then we plan to develop an intermediate app to push our camper's developed algorithmic thinking and then finally an advanced app to challenge them and to bring them to their knees.

    We need your help in deciding what apps/games we should build to develop algorithmic thinking in campers. It can be a problem set you have solved in the past, your college/school assignment or maybe your own app/game. It can be anything. The only constraint is that it should have very minimal UI or best - no UI, just a console-based app/game because we want our campers to focus on the core i.e. the problem, not on the UI.

    I have some options for each section, just a very rough idea of what's going on my mind right now:

    Basic algorithm project: A news feed console-based application
    Intermediate algorithm project: Yahtzee game
    Advanced algorithm project: Sudoku or Robot (only one of these)
    But I am not satisfied with this. I want to explore more ideas and possibilities. It's your time now. Tell us your ideas on what apps/games we can build to develop algorithmic thinking in campers.

    Once we finalize your idea if you wish you can build your idea into an app yourself for the freeCodeCamp.org's community. The impact you gonna create will be huge. Around millions of people around the world will use your app to learn :). We will help you with every step of development and integration. So don't worry much about it. For now, just throw your ideas by replying to this post.

    And you don't worry, I'll reply to every idea and all your queries. Before I end this I want to thank you for reading this long post and thanks for at least trying to help the awesome freeCodeCamp.org community. Thank you, my friend :)

    Happy coding. <3

    submitted by /u/vkweb
    [link] [comments]

    How do I make a documentation of my program?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 07:38 PM PDT

    (No self-promotion)

    I'm developing a tool for dnd solo players, I've been having a good feedback but some people have been having trouble on how to use it, and I'm about to add voice recognition on the next update, and that I have no doubts that some users will have trouble to understand how to actually use it correctly, so I wanted to make a documentation available on the website.

    I've been reading a lot of documentations from various softwares and some distros, but I still don't know how to write a good documentation that would actually help others to understand the concept of the tool and as well how to use it properly.

    For the ones who had done this, what tips can you provide me?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/BernardoPiedade
    [link] [comments]

    After years of telling myself I could never learn to program/code, I'm going to start learning! 24 years old with 0 experience. Should I start with Python, Swift, Javascript, or ruby?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 01:28 PM PDT

    Hi guys,

    So for the longest time I felt I'd never be able to do this, that it was only for the uber smart. Luckily that was just a minor self confidence issue I had to overcome, but I've realized I can learn to code apps and websites, and it can be a source of freelance income or even (hopefully) a salaried position in the future.

    I know this question ultimately depends on what I want to do, and I'd like to be able to build apps. People use their phones more than laptop/desktops nowadays and it seems like a better market to get into (although I could be wrong, remember, I have 0 experience or knowledge.)

    Swift is great for IOS, and I hear it's easy to learn. I've also heard google might adopt it in the future and If I can get good at swift, I might just be the go to guy one day.

    I've heard python is industry standard, I know it can build apps as well as websites.

    All I know about Javascript and ruby (rails?) is that they are great for web development (which i'm less interested in than building apps but nonetheless will eventually learn).

    What would you suggest I learn first as I enter this huge exciting world?

    thanks reddit!

    Edit: when every answer is different... lol

    submitted by /u/bagelspins
    [link] [comments]

    How can one recursively find all permutations of a given set?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 09:40 PM PDT

    I'm trying to write a program that does this, but I'm having trouble thinking of how to solve this algorithmically. I've been trying to understand other people's solutions for hours and I'm just not getting it. Can someone please try to explain what algorithm you can use to recursively find all permutations of a list of any size?

    submitted by /u/Fuck_TikTok
    [link] [comments]

    Been coding for a year, and kinda lost right now

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 06:39 PM PDT

    Hi Reddit,

    ( Sorry for bad English, 2nd language )

    My father always said that coding is the future, and always wanted me to start to code, so I started about one year ago, to discover my new passion that is now programming. I started out learning python, and after 1/2 months, I felt like I had a pretty good grasp of the basics of the language. I did some few projects, but mostly used it to do my math homeworks.

    Now I really wanted to be able to do everything. When I started, I told myself I wanted to be able to do backend and frontend, not be a god at both of them, but be able to use them. After getting ok at python, I started out the web, and I did a **** ton of it. I coded A LOT of HTML and CSS and played around with the DOM a lot. I'm pretty happy with my level, and feel like I'm pretty decent at it. ( Still kinda suck at CSS lol )

    I guess I had somewhat of a direction of where to go, I learned NodeJS, jQuery, Git, and I'm exploring the C# world, but I'm really getting lost. Like, I don't know what to do with those technologies. I actively help on a forum, and enjoy exploring GitHub repositeries, but that's pretty much it. I know there's a billion possibilities, and so many cool things I can do, mostly with Python, but I really don't know where to go. It's like I'm on a road and there's a thousand paths ahead of me, and I don't know which one to take.

    I came here to get a direction. I'm 14 years old, so I don't have anybody around to help nor mentor me. So does anybody of you know what I could learn, or do next ? I'm studying calculus and linear algebra right now, what could I do with this ? I know I seem dumb coming here begging for ideas or paths while there's plenty out there, but I'm really in a state of total confusion and I think I need specific advice

    Once again, thank you for your wisdom, programmers of reddit

    submitted by /u/DasAThiccBoi
    [link] [comments]

    How to learn basic Java in one day?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 08:38 PM PDT

    I'll be straight. I have a presentation in school and I need to talk about Java in general and present basic examples (like hello world) but I don't have a clue about this language. So, can anyone recommend a quality text or video about it? (I will keep learning this language after this, I just want to start the right way)

    submitted by /u/radioactivesnot
    [link] [comments]

    How does UBlock bypass NYTimes' paywall?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 12:18 AM PDT

    Can someone experienced with Chrome extensions look into UBlock Origin's source code? I've looked in the "src" folder on GitHub and searched for words containing "nytimes" but there is nothing.

    If it's a third party script that relegates NYTimes' paywall system, how does UBlock block it? I found out that this script when blocked with AdBlock or UBlock stops NYTimes "create an account" messages but it contains many scripts some of which are essential to the function of the site and I don't know which portion is bad and how UBlock is able to block only part of it, if it does.

    submitted by /u/Inner_Cod
    [link] [comments]

    What do employers expect from IT graduates?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 08:21 PM PDT

    I am a CS student in Asia so please bear with me as I might make some mistake while typing this in English. As stated above, I would like to ask if is there any expectation from the employers when they are hiring newly graduated CS students. I hope that I could hear some replies and I would like to thank you in advance for any answers here.

    submitted by /u/BNKhoa
    [link] [comments]

    C# Operator precedence question help

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 11:55 PM PDT

    hi,

    I am not sure how to evaluate below question.

    I read ^ is left to right but = is right to left.

    I tried evaluating this both from left to right and right to left

    But my answers are correct.

    Please help.

    public class Program

    {

    public static void Main(string[] args)

    {

    int x = 1975;

    int y = 2015;

    x ^= y ^= x ^= y;

    Console.WriteLine("x = " + x + "; y = " + y);

    }

    }

    submitted by /u/Fit_Swing
    [link] [comments]

    completely new, dont know the feasibility of this, but is it possible to get straight up get a complete list links instead of going through every page in a pagination type interface

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 11:48 PM PDT

    for example, in this page on glassdoor: https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/ohio-reviews-SRCH_IL.0,4_IS2235.htm

    it forces you to look at companies through pagination, is it possible to just get a complete list instead of going through every page by trying to find an api?

    submitted by /u/daweyzer
    [link] [comments]

    c++ 2d array storing random numbers 1 to 53

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 10:55 PM PDT

    the homework is: a for loop to put a random number, each with a value no lower than 1 and no higher than 53, into each element of iArr, the array of integer, seed the random generator with srand( (unsigned) time(NULL)). Only have to run srand once…. Use the modulo operator

     int iArr[3][5]; srand((unsigned)time(NULL)); for (int cnt1 = 0; cnt1 < 3; cnt1++) {for (int cnt2 = 0; cnt2 < 5; cnt2++) iArr[cnt1][cnt2] = rand() % 53 + 1; } cout << "The amount in this array is " << iArr[cnt1][cnt2]; Keeps telling me cnt2 is not initialized and I dont think I did it right anyway 
    submitted by /u/nineteen_eightyfour
    [link] [comments]

    Creating a dev environment in a VM - thoughts?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 10:42 PM PDT

    Hey everyone! So I just refreshed my windows installation because it got bloated/slow/blah blah. With it went my last dev environment, which is fine - easy to recover. However, I was thinking this time around of maybe setting up a light VM, throwing a ubuntu distro on, and start developing on a linux environment. Mostly Python back, some JS front. Wanted to get anyone's take on this, any advice on VMs to go with, or maybe advise a better way to do this. One of the reasons was just to separate church and state (work/play) - not to mention if I ever needed to move my dev environment, I could just take the VM with me.

    Anyone done this before? think it's a good idea?

    Anyone have a better idea than this? My one fear is how slow it may be to spin up the VM. If it's relatively instant, then great.

    submitted by /u/DeVeDeVeD
    [link] [comments]

    How do you see how many lines your project has? Does Github show such a statistic?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 06:52 PM PDT

    I often see people quoting how many lines their project consists of. How can you get that number? Does Github for example show it?

    submitted by /u/rainboworigamipaper
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any good "learn by doing" online coding classes out there?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 09:32 AM PDT

    I learn best if I can actually try something with guidance first. Are there any good resources out there that walk you through the process slowly but let you actually try it as you go? Like an "All The Right Type" (elementary typing program) style class for coding.

    submitted by /u/site_admin
    [link] [comments]

    Do mobile apps have the capacity to be completely customizable by users?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 10:31 PM PDT

    Similar to a web page, can a person using a mobile app have the ability to change colors, fonts, etc?

    submitted by /u/Shmoopybop
    [link] [comments]

    Currently Stuck On An Exercise In "Programming: Principles and Practice" - Not Sure How To Proceed!

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 10:31 PM PDT

    Currently I am in "Part 1: The Basics" in Sub-Section "Objects, Types, and Values" by Bjarne Stroustrup.

    I simply cannot figure out exercise 6 with just what information I have been given (I have found other ways to do it online but want to figure out how to do it just with his instruction).

    Here is the objective of the exercise:

    EX 6. "Write a program that prompts the user to enter three integer values, and then outputs the values in numerical sequence separated by commas. So, if the user enters the values 10 4 6, the output should be 4, 6, 10. If two values are the same, they should just be ordered together. So, the input 4 5 4 should give 4, 4, 5."

    ------------------------

    I figure something along the lines of comparing: variable "a" with "b" and "a" with "c" in order to find out if "a" is larger but I am not sure how to go about doing it.

    Keep in mind I haven't just yet gotten to the "&&" symbol or anything too complex yet. I have read about them but am trying to figure out how HE wants me to do it. Any help would be really appreciated as I am stuck!

    submitted by /u/Stelliver
    [link] [comments]

    Do you ever doubt yourself and your coding ability?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 05:49 PM PDT

    My "Need to learn" list is starting to look a bit scary.

    Ternary Operator or Relational Operator

    Lambda operator

    Delegate, callback, event

    callback with anonymous lambda function

    Tasks (used by firebase).

    CustomYieldInstruction

    How big is this mountain because every time I look up, it's the same height?

    submitted by /u/Torrentula81
    [link] [comments]

    [C] Help understanding how this code calculates a line integral

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 09:17 PM PDT

    Hello everyone. First time posting here. I am working with a code that's final goal is reconstructing CT scan images. I am new to this project and need some help understanding a certain part of the code.

    My supervisor told me that the following part of the code calculates a line integral:

    /*at this point the vector a0[0],a0[1],a0[2] contains the x,y and z coordinates of the focal point*/ for(u=0;u < u_pixels;++u) { for(i=0;i<3;++i) { b[i] = b0[i]; } for(v=0;v < v_pixels; ++v) { if(mask[u][v] != 0.0) { /*calculate proj as the sum of npoints line integrals*/ for(ip = 0; ip < intpoints; ++ip) { /*ip-th line is calculated with a shift up[ip],vp[ip] of the focus*/ for(i=0;i<3;++i) { a[i] = a0[i] + up[ip]*(orbit[k].u_axis[i]) + vp[ip]*(orbit[k].v_axis[i]); } proj[u][v] += (weight[ip]*phantom_line_integral(a,b,phantom,number)); } } /*move one detector pixel along v_axis*/ for(i=0;i<3;++i){ b[i] += delv[i]; } } /*before starting next line on the detector, increment b0 by one pixel along u*/ for(i=0;i<3;++i) { b0[i] += delu[i]; } } 

    The context here is a CT scan, so we have a sample (could be a lung, whatever) and a detector, and we are doing a line integral across the ray where it passes throughout the sample, here this is from point a to point b

    My prof said that the computer "can't do integrals" and said that it calculated the line integral in a more detailed way and he wants me to explain to him how it works.

    Any help is greatly appreciated. I am able to follow through the code and see a, b what they will end up as based on translations in the u direction, v direction etc but I can't figure out which part of this has anything to do with a line integral. I can also share the full code if needed.

    submitted by /u/Cocoleia
    [link] [comments]

    I have a game idea and I am looking for a place to start learning

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 05:18 PM PDT

    Just as a bit of background, I am quite the techie with some experience in coding but not nearly the level that would be involved in bringing my vision to life.

    My project idea: My friends and I love playing poker together but at times the hassle of playing with coins, figuring out pot splits and whatnot can bring a well flowing game to a halt.

    The idea is to have a web-based poker game that users can join private rooms with a unique code on their phones (à la Jackbox/Quiplash games platform of being able to join instances. example)

    Players would be able to put the main "table" up on a TV or tablet, then join, place bets, and see their cards with their phones.

    From what I have been able to find nothing like this exists for poker. I haven't been able to find any real local digital poker games in this manner. Honestly, I am kinda surprised but really excited that I came up with an original idea.

    That being said, I think I might be biting off a ton more than I can chew with this. Game database handling, API calls, node servers, etc. while I have a good understanding of the logic behind them, actually developing the artifacts I would need is all over my head at the moment.

    I was wondering where I should start to ease myself into this. Even if it never fully pans out I would love to give this a start and make it a learning experience. Really, I am just looking for a starting point.

    Any and all suggestions are welcome!

    submitted by /u/Killjoy4eva
    [link] [comments]

    Best Platform to practice programming (With a manageable increase in difficulty through the levels)

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 04:45 PM PDT

    I know of the many different platforms to practice programming but a lot of them have a huge jump between the difficulty levels. I would like problems that ramp up the problems at a manageable level.

    The main languages I want to develop skills in are Python and Java

    submitted by /u/ArduinoMasterRace
    [link] [comments]

    Good learning tools for c#

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 08:23 PM PDT

    I am taking a course where we learned javascript for like 4 months , made snake game, breakout and tic tac toe. We also made projects like tip calculators and blah blah blah. Then the teacher literally threw us into the deep end saying we need to make an RPG by March using Unity with absolutely no reference to c#. Help.

    submitted by /u/Cowboyre
    [link] [comments]

    When using NetBeans, am I expected to make a new project folder/file for each and every class file I wish to run?

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 08:15 PM PDT

    Hey, I'm not sure I'm in the right spot for this question, but I'm at a loss on what I'm doing wrong.

    I was given a list of assignments to code, and originally I used Notepad and ran them with the Command Prompt. I never ran into any issues other than my own code errors.

    However, I've been told I need to redo them and use NetBeans to make them.

    So I did, But when I go to run the program it simply says "Build Successful" without doing anything. So, I eventually found a YouTube tutorial that said the class file I want to run needs to be the main class file.

    But I have 14 class files in one project, and in order to run them I have to make new project folders for all of them?

    I refuse to accept that this is my only option, it defies common sense and I have standards when it comes to file management that this seeks to defy.

    I can't help but feel than just using Notepad is better, this program only performs a few tasks marginally better than what I was already doing.

    Any advice on what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. It's really slowing me down and I'm at risk of falling too far behind on these assignments.

    submitted by /u/UncleSam420
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment