• Breaking News

    Wednesday, September 25, 2019

    Good online certifications? web developers

    Good online certifications? web developers


    Good online certifications?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 02:10 AM PDT

    Is there any 'degree-like' certification obtainable online that's actually recognized and valuable?

    I have work experience, but I need some piece of paper to appeal to more customers, I absolutely won't get into uni since I'm already 23 y/o and working in the field, spending lots of money and 3 years of my life for skills I already have seems pretty stupid.

    So I was wondering if there might be some online course from a reputable source (like google for example, just to give you an idea of what I mean by reputable source) that gives you a worthy certification you can show around at the end. I understand that it might be different based on where you live, but I honestly think there must be a piece of paper obtained online that's actually worth something.

    Of course, web development/design is the field I'm talking about.

    Tl;dr looking for an online certification in web development that could serve as something similar to a degree

    submitted by /u/FranksEVO6
    [link] [comments]

    Hacktoberfest Is Back for Year Six!

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 09:00 AM PDT

    A list of themes and starters for JAMstack sites

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 11:20 AM PDT

    Start a New Union For Tech Workers. Please.

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 09:56 AM PDT

    Introducing Cutestrap Two: A powerful 2.7KB pure CSS framework.

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 08:24 AM PDT

    Please give me feedback on my portfolio/freelance website

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 01:16 PM PDT

    How do you handle hosting once a website is completed?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 09:28 AM PDT

    I've only ever created and maintained websites for myself (for my bands), so I'm fairly green to the world of web development. When you build a website for a client, how do you handle hosting?

    To me, it seems like there is two options:

    1) Give the client a completed website and they are responsible for hosting themselves, or

    2) Charge a monthly/annual fee to host the website for them

    Are there other options I'm missing? What has worked best, in your experience?

    submitted by /u/ddeevv
    [link] [comments]

    Has the role of full-stack dev been expanded over the years? A scope creep of full-stack roles?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 02:34 PM PDT

    It seems like it has because prior to the 2010s there wasn't really any expectation of a developer to manage background processes, such as caching tools, or containerization etc. They worked on the code, submitted a bug fix to the QA or lead, and call it a day. As technology changes adoption, I can expect A to be replaced by B, then I would drop A as I learn B. But with the full-stack devs, it's more like we now have to do A with the addition of B. They didn't just change the stacks with us (which is reasonable), they piled up more responsibilities along with those stacks.

    I never had any job that expected me to know message brokering, cloud infrastructure, or caching and I've been at this work for 12 years now. Those tools seem to be more of a server admin's arsenal, not the full-stack dev's. As a full-stack dev, it's my job to optimize the code itself, not to optimize a AWS instance, for example.

    submitted by /u/ccricers
    [link] [comments]

    What to discuss with a potential customer in a first meeting?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 11:16 AM PDT

    Hey y'all. I'm about to, or at least try to, kick-start my freelancing career. I would be working along with my full time job, which is front end development. For the past year or so I have been developing mobile apps with React Native. In total I have about 2,5 years of JS experience.

    I have scheduled a meeting later this week with a potential customer. The gig is to build a brand new website for their new company/product. What I know so far is that they have budget of 900-1100 EUR. In the posting they mentioned that in the future they would need someone to maintain the website and would be paying hourly rate for that work. There was a reference website in the posting as well. Nothing too fancy and with the details figured out I have confidence that I'd be capable of building that. It's just a matter of how long it takes. They themselves mentioned that it should be "simple, clean and slick" and that "simplicity is beautiful".

    So my question is that what should I discuss with the customer in the meeting? I already have some questions listed about the reference website and the scope of the project but I'm sure I can't think of everything.

    As a sidenote; How is GatsbyJS?

    submitted by /u/Meowish
    [link] [comments]

    Have Google/Apple released stats on the percentage of users who have used "Add to Home Screen"?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 10:54 AM PDT

    I'm wondering how well-known this feature is among non-devs. Google and Apple would have this stat, have they ever released it? If not, have any third-parties conducted surveys for this?

    submitted by /u/linksku
    [link] [comments]

    Notarizing your Electron application

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 08:40 AM PDT

    Help me figure out what's causing my site to load slowly?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 02:47 PM PDT

    My team thinks it's being caused by pixels we have added to the site, but it looks like it's just Websphere (wcsstore) that's slowing things down. I'm not sure if I'm reading the results correctly. Can someone give me their feedback? Here's a screenshot of the WPT results page: https://imgur.com/a/7dJ87Po

    submitted by /u/Maggs84
    [link] [comments]

    As a person who is fundamentally focusing on frontend, is there any need to learn docker?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 09:24 AM PDT

    What's a good book / reference for mid-level javascript developer interview?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 12:54 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I have my interview coming up in a few days. I haven't had a technical interview in ages. Is there a short and sweet reference book that covers the javascript interview questions you'd recommend?

    submitted by /u/crueltyFreeIndia
    [link] [comments]

    Operating System of Choice for Development

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 10:42 AM PDT

    Hello All,

    I am a newbie in web development and currently taking Andrei Neagoi's course on Udemy. And also, I am learning Django for the backend from another course.
    I am on a Windows machine right now and most of the commands seem to be different from OS X and Linux. I have in mind about switching to Linux as I can't afford a Macbook Now.

    Please help me with your suggestions. Should I try Windows Subsystem on Linux and learn using Windows or should I move to Linux before it is too late?

    Also, I would like to know what machines do you code on at home/Work.
    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/EncryptedIdiot
    [link] [comments]

    Need help lazy-loading the contents of expanded <details> tags

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 12:26 PM PDT

    Having troubling finding a script that does what I'm looking for, or at least something close enough that I could modify to work with details tags. Essentially, I'm working on a portfolio that has a few dozen YouTube/Vimeo/SoundCloud embeds within <details> and <summary> tags. Just want to prevent the contents within the <details> from loading until their open attribute is active.

    submitted by /u/WWDJWWDJDDJ
    [link] [comments]

    What is a toxic environment?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 11:29 AM PDT

    What should I look out for when identifying a toxic work environment?

    I have a few I am experiencing but not want to hear what is valid.

    submitted by /u/eggtart_prince
    [link] [comments]

    5 years experience as a dev, looking to contribute to open source projects

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 03:09 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm a developer looking to begin contributing to open source projects, however I haven't been able to find any that are super beginner friendly. In terms of beginner friendly, I mean either 1 of two things:

    1) Easy barrier of entry for someone without technical experience in the technology used 2) Easy barrier of entry for someone without the overall context of the repository

    I've yet to find one that is good at one of these, even though ideally I'd find something that meets both of that criteria.

    My skillset now currently involves C#/.NET, React, Flutter. I would like to sharpen my Java skills, or tackle learning something like C or C++ (school glossed over lower level languages).

    Does anyone have any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/MeerkatArray
    [link] [comments]

    How to avoid being overwhelmed by webdev learning curve?

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 02:56 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm an amateur developer and I'm trying to become a professional web developer. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of things I need to learn before even considering applying to job offers.

    How did you guys avoid being overwhelmed? How did you find out your own personal roadmap of things to learn?

    I'm still trying to figure out if I should take the PHP (Laravel? Symfony?) or JS (React? Angular? NodeJS? VueJS?) route. There are so many things to learn, so many things to choose from, I'm not even talking about stuff like npm, version control, linters, Docker, AWS, work organization, unit testing...

    I used to think webdev was easy (as an amateur Java/Android dev), because I used to think there was only PHP and a bit of JS to make cool drop-down menus... but damn this now feel like a huge maze and I'm totally lost.

    Would you guys have any kind of advice on choosing a clear path to follow, or anything to help with the feeling that I won't ever be able to make it to a junior position?

    I'm considering contacting a few companies, asking what a junior dev should know to qualify for a job there, and using that as a roadmap... but it kinda feels unprofessional and I'm worried they might think I'm wasting their time, since I wouldn't apply until at least 6 months later. Should I try that?

    Thanks for future replies, I really need insights from professional devs.

    submitted by /u/Tonyant42
    [link] [comments]

    Users of Java SE 11 & later - be aware of Oracle's Java OTN licensing agreement

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 07:00 AM PDT

    Completely lost at this point

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 02:12 PM PDT

    Thank you for reading this; I'm writing out of pure frustration with myself.

    I started design at 14 doing free work for a local company. I would do this in my evenings after school, I loved design - especially web design. But I was often frustrated that the developers would not fully realise my vision. To have a better understanding, I decided to learn development myself. I WAS really motivated and loved that fact that I could do both. At the age of 16, I could do HTML & CSS and build basic flat websites from my design. I went on to do a degree in Graphic Design and came out into the world optimistic and motivated. It wasn't long until I got a job doing both design and development. It soon became that I was doing more and more development work and less design work. The trouble was, I wasn't that great at development at all. I learnt it just to have a better understanding of that process, but now I was using WordPress themes and using page builders and editing code here and there to build websites. It was unfulfilling. I didn't feel like I was progressing as a developer or a designer.

    The website turn around was really quick, I would have about 4-5 days to do a website, but I started to teach myself how to build my own WordPress themes using plugins like ACF. I started to learn more PHP and I later moved on to ProcessWire which gave me even more freedom as it acts like a framework. I used UIKit to do any complicated JavaScript stuff and I soon got picked up by another company that set me on as a developer. I miss doing design, but most of all. I feel like while I'm much better at development than I were, I'm not at the stage I feel I should be after doing it for 10 years.

    It's getting me down, because I struggle to get excited about projects now. I don't feel like I have that motivation anymore. The excitement of I can do both, design something and build it. Well I can't remember the last time I did that. I have started learning CSS Grid, CSS Variables and I have started using TailwindCSS and NPM/Parcel JS to package any modules I want to use. But there is a lot I don't understand; I have always been the only developer at any company I have worked at so these things I've just had to learn from mostly trial and error.

    Currently I use a shared hosting plan as my development server (so clients can access it to review, the team can access it anywhere and I can work from home if I need too). I then use Visual Code Studio to connect through FTP. I know Git and I've used Git but I really struggle to implement it into my workflow, especially when it comes to MySQL. Implementing any changes to the MySQL database to the live server always feels like a pain with a lot of room for human error. I've always done it this way and honestly don't know any other way.

    I see a lot of people using Vue / React and I have learnt this to some extent but I can never really see a reason to use it on websites I build and maybe that's fine?

    I have been keeping a keen eye on Statamic as flat-file seems as through it can solve my issues with MySQL but I'm worried that it's going to be too complicated to build any front-end functionality with such as comment sections etc.

    Maybe it's just the fact that I have always been the only developer so I've never had anything to check my progress against. I just wish I could tackle projects with a new lease of motivation and excitement. But I'm unsure how to build on that. I just currently feel like I'm approaching projects completely hacky and wrong.

    submitted by /u/siltar
    [link] [comments]

    How to use company's internal app as presentation in future jobs

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 01:47 AM PDT

    I created an app that is being licensed to other businesses. It is not accessible publicly. If I ever leave this company, how can I use this project in my resume for future jobs (NDA signed)?

    submitted by /u/eggtart_prince
    [link] [comments]

    how to map out large setups

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 01:28 PM PDT

    I'm looking for a digital tool that can replace my sticky notes on a wall with yarn between them.

    I'm in the middle of figuring out the structuring behind a rather large project that works across multiple locations, with data being pulled from multiple services. So far the sticky notes and yarn has served me well, but it's not easy to share with other people.

    What tools do you guys use to map out large projects like this?

    submitted by /u/weaponizedLego
    [link] [comments]

    How do you detect if the page is a redirect using Javascript in the client side

    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 01:28 PM PDT

    Is there a way to detect if the current page is a 301 or 302 redirect from another URL? How do you get the previous URL of the page?

    submitted by /u/FlipMyP
    [link] [comments]

    Fighting with self confidence.

    Posted: 24 Sep 2019 09:22 PM PDT

    When it comes to my code I don't feel very confident at all. I want it to be so much more presentable, but it just looks unprofessional to me.

    This is my github account

    I've ignored JS for the most part because I wanted to master CSS & HTML. An idk maybe I'm aiming too high, or my scope is off but that's why I'm here.

    I found this post on CSS-Tricks I'd post the picture but it's quite big so heres the link.

    I've been trying to follow the roadmap, but to all the developers out there working in a company right now. Heres my questions:

    When did you know, you knew enough to be hire?

    When were you able to make attractive websites?

    What advice would you give an aspiring front-end dev?

    How do you use CSS and HTML to create beautiful designs? [do I need to learn design]

    I'll be straight I want to be at the point where I'm getting paid 6 figures so I want to LEARN so bad!

    I really want to make a change for family and uplift my tree in financial freedom doing what I love.

    submitted by /u/Zedsonezreal
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment