• Breaking News

    Monday, September 23, 2019

    Are you cut out to be a programmer? learn programming

    Are you cut out to be a programmer? learn programming


    Are you cut out to be a programmer?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 05:35 PM PDT

    The short answer is YES. If you want to be.

    I see posts all the time on this sub, which are basically asking this same question. And for good reason! Programming is hard for most people. Myself included. Personally, it took me about a year of practicing every day before it clicked.

    But there are lots of difficult things that people learn that are complicated. Right now, your brain is performing an extremely complex task, which is reading English. You probably cannot remember learning English, but I can assure you that you sucked at it for the first few years! The trick to learning it was constant practice and not giving up.

    Are some people naturally better at speaking, reading and writing the English language? Yes, of course! Some kids sound eloquent at the age of 6, while others sound like a caveman. But as adults, most people have learned English well enough that they can communicate their ideas to others, and that's what matters most.

    The same goes for programming. Most of us will struggle along like toddlers learning their first language until eventually, we are writing complex logic and apps that get the job done.

    One of the biggest tips I can give new learners is to NOT focus on learning a framework or specific technology. Start with a popular programming language with lots of community support, like python or javascript, pick a course/tutorial/book/whatever and stick to it. You should be watching/reading videos about 25% of the time and trying to program your own stuff (even if it's just a slightly different variant of what you're watching) about 75% of the time.

    Also, in the beginning stages of learning programming, write your logic down ON PAPER before you try to type it into your machine. Programming syntax is precise, and bouncing back and forth between syntax and logic is extremely difficult for beginners. Writing stuff down on paper will allow your brain to focus on the logic. For the record, I have been programming for about 5-6 years and still write down complex logic on paper before I program it.

    Yes, you are cut out to be a programmer. If you can read this post, you're not too stupid.

    submitted by /u/jpayne0061
    [link] [comments]

    There used to be magazines for computer games where you type all the code in your self to create it. Is there anything like this that exist for a simple language like Python today?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 07:10 AM PDT

    I remember doing that in BASIC way back in the day, and I feel like the reporting and sing the patterns of how it came together helped my understand better than trying to jump in straight from a tutorial type method, and I'm wondering if I could find something similar to help my son learn.

    Here's 9, so he's frustrated by going step by step instead of being able to make something now and then learn the how and why behind the pieces.

    submitted by /u/alliecorn
    [link] [comments]

    Don't Underestimate the Power of Hand-Written Notes

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 07:02 PM PDT

    I've been attempting to learn programming off and on for about a year. I'm finally stable enough in my life that I can devote a good amount of time to it, so I've started taking a basic game programming course on EDX. I picked up a notebook specifically for programming and have been taking written notes along with the course videos. My retention has shot through the roof and I've been much more engaged with the material. This may be a short tip, but so far it's helped me tremendously. Take written notes! :)

    submitted by /u/Metawoo
    [link] [comments]

    How do i connect my GUI I made in scene builder to my Code in NetBeans (JavaFX) to make an actual app?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 06:35 AM PDT

    So I'm really new at programing and decided to challenge myself and take a formal class so forgive me if this isn't the most well stated or explained question.

    I've been going through a book (Java how to program early objects 11th addition). Everything has gone smooth so far, until I got to the chapter on GUI. They walk us through writing a sample program, explaining every step, etc. We build a GUI in Scene Builder, write the code in java (build a controller file and a java class) with NetBeans. And then the chapter just abruptly ends.

    I click run a small novel generates in the output box in NetBeans, no error messages, but the GUI I I created never appears.

    It doesn't tell me how to actually make these two things (the code and the GUI) I wrote compile into a program. Spent about an hour skimming the next few chapters and looking online for an answer, couldn't find anything.

    What do I actually do to turn this code I wrote into something that is actually runable? I suspect the problem is with the java class not the controller. My understanding is this file loads the GUI and the controller runs the code that interacts with the GUI.

    Here is the block of code they had me write (I excluded the imports for brevity):

    public class TipCalculator extends Application {

    @Override

    public void start(Stage stage) throws Exception {

    Parent root = FXMLLoader.load(getClass().getResource("TipCalculator.fxml"));

    Scene scene = new Scene(root);

    stage.setTitle("Tip Calculator");

    stage.setScene(scene);

    stage.show();

    }

    public static void main(String[] args) {

    launch(args);

    }

    }

    Thanks for your help

    submitted by /u/Jon011684
    [link] [comments]

    Which area can I mainly work with Python, Linux and also bash (sh) scripts?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 10:21 PM PDT

    I really like Linux and the simplicity of Python for scripting, and would like to know if there is any area where you mainly use Python and Linux knowledge.

    submitted by /u/flakesrc
    [link] [comments]

    Difficulty returning the "average of averages" within SQL

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 08:29 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I'm taking a class in SQL as a non-progammer in college, and have been having a rough time with a particular question. The question verbatim is " What is the average of the average rental rate for each movie rating?"

    For a little context, I know how to return the average rental rate for each movie rating, with this code:

    SELECT AVG(rental_rate), rating FROM moviedb.film GROUP BY rating; 

    Which returns this: https://imgur.com/a/2UGF9jp

    But I'm completely lost as to how to get the averages of those numbers within the same string of code. I assume it has something to do with a subquery, but my buddy and I have been trying to crack it for a while now and haven't made progress. Not sure if this is the sub for this question or not, but help/guidance would be appreciated regardless! Thanks!

    EDIT: Wow - I'm so surprised with all of the help I've received! Thanks to everyone who commented. I was able to get the solution.

    submitted by /u/TargaryenTroy
    [link] [comments]

    What is there to artificial intelligence that is unrelated to machine learning?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 07:08 PM PDT

    Most of the "AI"-related news I see these days is machine learning stuff. But, as far as I know, AI is a broader topic and expands further than just machine learning.

    What are some meaningful (a series of if-statements is technically AI, but not very interesting) examples of artificial intelligence that doesn't have anything to do with machine learning?

    For starters, I heard that one of the milestone AI projects (e.g. Starcraft 2, DOTA, Go, Chess, etc.) was actually algorithmic and not ML-based. Not sure which one.

    Any other interesting AI sans ML stuff?

    submitted by /u/rainboworigamipaper
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to write a game engine from scratch. Where do I begin?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 09:49 AM PDT

    I know a lot of c++, a bit of java and python. I especially want to know how to code graphics related stuff like Ray tracing in dos graphics.

    submitted by /u/pvm08
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner Python Programmer. What are some tips and useful courses/websites that are vital to learning?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 06:18 PM PDT

    I'm currently finishing up a course on Udemy for python and was wondering what you guys would suggest as tips and useful things for me to learn?

    submitted by /u/DDH1006
    [link] [comments]

    A program to help people learn better.

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 11:49 PM PDT

    I have an idea of a group or a small program where people who want to learn programming can connect with those who know, and if needed there can be a guided session. So that, they can learn better and can have a clear understanding of what it is. Anyone interested in being a part of this, and help others, do tell. [Comment]

    P.S. I need programmers who want to help others, first.

    submitted by /u/Samurize17
    [link] [comments]

    Podcasts

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 06:34 AM PDT

    What are some good podcasts to listen to that revolve about programming, CS, etc? Part of my job entails driving for about 5 hours, so it would be nice learn while on the road.

    submitted by /u/theSparkyJB
    [link] [comments]

    BNF in BNF

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 11:14 PM PDT

    Hello, I need help with writing (not code) a BNF grammar IN BNF . Not sure how to do that, I appreciate your help.

    submitted by /u/TryDeath1
    [link] [comments]

    Do you continue to develop in staging?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 10:58 PM PDT

    I've done some reading about different environments. It's written that in staging you don't do hard development, but give the final polishes.

    What does that mean? What makes something a polish as opposed to development? Do you write new source code in staging? Or do you just make sure everything integrates correctly?

    I got a general bird's eye view about the matter but its really blurry.

    submitted by /u/BigBootyBear
    [link] [comments]

    Is programming for you?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 10:48 PM PDT

    The short answer is: try and see for yourself. Maybe it is. Maybe it is not. There's no point in torturing yourself to no end. If you force yourself too hard for too long, you will probably be able to write something useful. But it will be mediocre at best and you will miss your best life. Not everyone needs to be a mathematician or a musician or whatever. Find what fits your personality. I don't appreciate lies as a form of encouragement, which is the default advice on Reddit. If you see a milestone that says your destination is 500 miles, you understand that the milestone is not trying to discourage you from traveling to your destination. Learn programming by all means but remember it is neither quick nor easy. It's a long journey with a lot of rejections, that is the computer complaining about your code. Be mentally prepared and give it a try wholeheartedly. And remember there is no shame in giving up if that makes sense. You get to try something else.

    submitted by /u/kaptan8181
    [link] [comments]

    What are good resources to use for layout of UX/UI?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 09:48 PM PDT

    Any suggestions for learning UX/UI design concepts and what ideas work and which don't? Any resources / general guides that show what designs work and what does not based on previous A/B testing or polling.

    submitted by /u/chchan
    [link] [comments]

    Learn the basics of Ruby, Python & JavaScript

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 06:01 PM PDT

    After starting an Elixir YouTube channel, I thought I'd start one to help beginners into the world of coding. Let me know what you think and what you'd like to see videos on. I'm thinking about a video covering a few frameworks, like React, Rails and Django.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAM7xQLmAOA&feature=youtu.be

    submitted by /u/mrdougwright
    [link] [comments]

    Help designing a solution to the given problem statement.

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 09:42 PM PDT

    Please help me figure out how to go about solving the below problem statement . and which technologies would be required to work with ?

    Problem Statement :

    """Your application uses RESTful API's which are used by your Clients to build Integration to your application.

    Required :

    To build a server side rate limiting solution, which tracks the number of requests that are made by a User over a given period of time and block requests when the number of call exceeds the predefined threshold."""

    submitted by /u/theotherguy00
    [link] [comments]

    understanding how "cannot make a static reference to the non-static field" in java

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 09:32 PM PDT

    public class DriverMain { int x = 5; public static void main(String[] args) { System.out.println(x); Vechicle car = new Vechicle(); System.out.println(car.y); } } 

    I sort of understand how static type methods cannot refer to nonstatic field members. Hence, why when trying to print x I get the error. But am I not referencing to a nonstatic member which is y in this case from the car instance of the Vehicle class in this case as well? Why would that work? Is it more of just how Java was designed as a language or am I missing something major conceptually.

    submitted by /u/wildguy57
    [link] [comments]

    Programming a GUI

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 10:45 AM PDT

    What's the best way to have a new screen on a GUI? Currently I'm just coding a new JFrame for every major new function that needs a totally different screen. I tried to use .remove(); but I bugged out. Any tips?

    submitted by /u/Ethan_G176
    [link] [comments]

    I need help cant find solution to error (written in C)

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 09:13 PM PDT

    so i am getting the errors, lvalue required as left operand of assignment and expected identifier or ')' before 'return' inside my expenseAdd function.

    include <stdio.h>

    include <stdlib.h>

    double livingCost; double wantCost; char wantName [50]; double totalExpense; double savings;

     double expenseAdd() 

    { wantCost + livingCost = totalExpense; } return;

    int main() {

    printf("What do you want?: "); scanf("%s", &wantName); printf("How much does it Cost?: "); scanf("%s", &wantCost); printf("How much money do you currently have?: "); scanf("%lf", &savings); printf("What is your cost of living?: "); scanf("%lf", &livingCost); expenseAdd(); if(totalExpense <= savings){ printf("Congrats you can afford %s", wantName); } else { printf("Sorry you can not afford %s", wantName); } 

    }

    submitted by /u/cleft-lip
    [link] [comments]

    How to get the most out of hackathons

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 05:07 PM PDT

    So far I've participated in two hackathons and was wondering if I am really getting the most out of the event. Usually I try to do the theme of the hackathon, but there are usually some workshops and guest speakers that come on that I would also like to sit in on. But in doing so, I lose time from programming and building on my project.

    What are some of the things that you people do at these events?

    submitted by /u/Woojmajeen_
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get better at planning my code and problem solving?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 11:03 AM PDT

    Before I ever try to program anything, I always try to write out my algorithm on a piece of paper or on my computer using pseudocode. But the problem is that even when I do this, I always get confused throughout the process and it's hard for me to create a coherent step bu step process that would allow me to actually create my program.

    I'm about to do a small self study where I focus on a small programming project per week to get better, but I'm worried that my problem solving skills aren't where their supposed to be.

    Like, I may have an idea on how I want to solve it, but when I actually try to think it out I get confused and it all becomes a jumbled mess that I can't use.

    What are your best ways to get better at problem solving? And how do you plan out your programs, especially larger and more complex ones? If you have any examples to show, then that would be amazing.

    submitted by /u/Shyravven
    [link] [comments]

    Learning another language to relearn CS concepts?

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 08:30 PM PDT

    I've been having a really difficult time really relearning CS concepts (introductory level to immediate level) by learning about programming with Python. I have taken two CS courses for Java (basically Java 1 & 2) in the past but have never really taken the time to truly learn and understand it at all. I was originally planning to become a CS major but switched to a different major but still related to the tech industry (MIS). So that means I have to relearn a lot of concepts from the CS courses and am just really having a hard time learning Python since the stuff I learned in Java makes it hard to understand why certain things are done in a unusual way in Python than in Java. I unconsciously compare the two languages and don't know how to basically "unlearn" what I learned to really start from ground zero and work my way up again. Any tips on how to overcome this?

    submitted by /u/Jvyyyyy
    [link] [comments]

    Pattern matching in Haskell

    Posted: 22 Sep 2019 04:37 PM PDT

    What I understand it is to define different function bodies for different argument types, similar to switch in other programming languages.

    But I have come across examples where I can't see the pattern matching element. Can someone please explain to me what exactly it is I am missing?

    Examples taken from learn you a haskell

    Example 1:

    ghci> let xs = [(1,3), (4,3), (2,4), (5,3), (5,6), (3,1)] ghci> [a+b | (a,b) <- xs] [4,7,6,8,11,4] 

    To me it looks like a standard list comprehension.

    Example 2:

    addVectors :: (Num a) => (a, a) -> (a, a) -> (a, a) addVectors (x1, y1) (x2, y2) = (x1 + x2, y1 + y2) 

    If there's only 1 case, is it really pattern matching?

    submitted by /u/Xanimede
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment