• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 5, 2019

    What is the point of an IDE? Ask Programming

    What is the point of an IDE? Ask Programming


    What is the point of an IDE?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 10:36 AM PDT

    As part of my job I write and maintain code for an industrial client using an ancient computer with no IDE. I've taught myself using the command line and vi, because that's all I had available to me.

    I recently had an interview for a proper programming job and they were shocked at this, not just because it's obviously archaic to only have vi, but they seemed really unable to comprehend that I didn't have any experience with IDEs like Netbeans. I've never used one.

    I've done a bit of research since and since I'm not really a full time programmer maybe I'm missing something, but what is the advantage? Text highlighting is available in vim (although not the ancient vi I use fml), bugfinding is built into compilers...I don't get it. Is the idea really just that you can run your code with a couple of keystrokes rather than like 10?

    I know this might come across as some sort of elitist vi snobbery but that's not what I'm trying to do. I've learned to code in this weird outdated bubble and am trying to get up to speed.

    submitted by /u/boomerangchampion
    [link] [comments]

    What constitutes an Object? Does it vary language to language or is there something they all have in common?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 04:32 PM PDT

    What do I study to become a programmer?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 05:40 PM PDT

    I'm about to go to college and I need to know. I know a bit of webdev that I learned on my own during high school, but I wanna go full programmer. I don't know which bachelor's degree I need to become a programmer. I've heard computer science touches on the subject of programming but is more about the workings of the computer itself and not things like webdev or software creation. Soooo, what exactly do I need here? If I were to get a job as a programmer, what degree do I show them? Most colleges I've checked only have "programming" as an associates degree. Is that enough to land a job?

    submitted by /u/Patchu_Best_2hu
    [link] [comments]

    How does reddit make it to where you can comment on comments?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 08:19 PM PDT

    I'm new to programming and I'm just not getting more involved and I can see one day using the commenting on comments to make an AI that can carry on a pathological conversations.

    I'd also want to use this on a website I'm working on

    submitted by /u/_psychodelic
    [link] [comments]

    What is the "right" target for Maven?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 05:04 PM PDT

    I have found many maven based projects do not actually have a functioning `compile` or `install` target. Which target fails is actually a bit random. Is this a quirk of the ecosystem or is there a reason not to maintain or use the `compile` target and just develop/deploy ones library with `mvn install`?

    For example, apache/zookeeper fails to `compile` or `package` while `install` works.

    submitted by /u/tom-md
    [link] [comments]

    where can i get a list of every title on netflix?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 01:17 PM PDT

    How to stitch photos together and maintian scale?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 04:32 PM PDT

    I want to be able to take a couple of photos of some tools from above, and then stitch them together. I need to take a few photos so that each time I take a photo the tools are both in focus and not suffering too much parallax error, as I am making a 2d outline of the tools. Do you know of a software that would make stitching the photos together simple and accurate. I need to keep the scale between the pictures the same which I think can be achieved by having a ruler in each frame or equivalent.

    submitted by /u/forrealbrahhhh
    [link] [comments]

    quick stupid question : if my laptop enters sleep mode, would an active command in my command prompt end?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 09:52 AM PDT

    i don't really know a whole lot about coding, but i was actually able to create an easy twitter bot that will post a photo from a local folder for me every 24 hours.

    for some reason, i really couldn't figure out how to get heroku working with my bot. i get to a point where it's successfully built, then it just completely doesn't let me open my app. i can't find any info online, so i just figured i'd host the bot myself?

    do i have to leave my computer on 24/7 for this command that is posting photos for me to be ongoing?

    submitted by /u/stripedshirts1
    [link] [comments]

    How to actually organize code?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 03:25 PM PDT

    I currently have a bachlors degree in CIS, and in all of my coding classes it was mostly implementing functions already given to us by the professor. I want to start venturing out on my own and make more of my own programs....problem is that my school never really taught me how to organize code just implement functions....any advice, suggestions and resources to help me write my own programs with my own organization?

    submitted by /u/thekookysurfer
    [link] [comments]

    Should I have known this Javascript question in the interview?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 11:07 AM PDT

    I applied for a front-end position where Angular 2 and later is used. Should I have known what the outcome of the question is? I simply answerred I don't use timeouts or sleeps because they are bad practice. So I wouldn't know what happens. Apparently the answer was the output is 5.

    for(var i = 0;i < 5; i++){

    setTimeout(function(){

    console.log('count ', i);

    }, 3000);

    }

    submitted by /u/jonashendrickx
    [link] [comments]

    How to do PHP staging before migrate version 5.5 to 5.6? (wordpress)

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 08:15 AM PDT

    Recently been trying to figure out how to migrate a client's site to php 5.6 from 5.5. I heard that I should test before production. I'm not really a web-dev but learning. Any suggestions or resources for ways to go about staging?

    Thanks all for thoughts!

    submitted by /u/ryrytheryeguy
    [link] [comments]

    HElp ! Running java - why doesn't the keyListener fire when i press keys ??

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 01:34 PM PDT

    public void run(){

     // Set screen size setSize(980,551); GImage g = new GImage ("backroundintro.jpg",0,-2); add (g); c.setFocusable(true); 

    c.addKeyListener(this);

    } //Key pressed public void keyPressed(KeyEvent e) { GImage g = new GImage ("1.png",0,-2); add (g); } 

    GCanvas c = new GCanvas();

    }

    submitted by /u/santryu
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone used scryfall's API?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 01:12 PM PDT

    Here is the documentation for querying scryfall for lists of magic cards by certain types. I'd like to get a list of all viable commanders i.e. the type line includes the "Legendary" and "Creature" but can't figure out how to properly format the GET request. Has anyone used it before?

    submitted by /u/graciousgroob
    [link] [comments]

    Why would you choose an enterprise over an other?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 12:15 PM PDT

    Hey guys!

    I'm trying to know what are the main reasons you'll choose a job over an other after you have completed many interviews.

    submitted by /u/lerakabycyk11
    [link] [comments]

    What cross platform binary communications protocols are commonly used for sending 64 bit "key and value" type scientific data?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 12:10 AM PDT

    I don't need to send a complicated struct, just a simple key/value pair. Is there a version of Modbus that can deal with big numbers without having to split them into multiple messages, or something like the CAN bus packet format that runs over point to point serial or TCP/UDP links?

    submitted by /u/mjbmikeb2
    [link] [comments]

    Simple Php If/Else

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 10:11 AM PDT

    Hey there,

    I know next to nothing about php. I am just adding a simple conditional argument for a plotting script and I am having trouble making this if/else work correctly. I feel like its something simple but I can't get it to work right. Basically I have a series of values where I want to change the formatting based off some number I assign to them. In this case I want formatting to be blank for every 5 records and if $j is less than 6 to be formatted with H.

    With the version below, $i will add until 5 and then stops. The way I read it it should reach 5 then be sent to my else statement, but that doesn't seem to happen. Any thoughts or help is appreciated :)

     $i = 0; $j = 0; foreach(thing in things) { //pseudo foreach for context if (count($times) >= 50) { print($i." "); if ($i < 5) { $formatted = " "; $i++; print($i." less than 5"); } elseif ($j >= 6) { $formatted = date("H\nM j", $ts); $j = 0; print($j."less than 6 j"); } else { $i = 0; $j++; $formatted = date("H", $ts); $print($i.' '.$j." i and j"); } } } 
    submitted by /u/theshogunsassassin
    [link] [comments]

    How do OBSE and SKSE (fanmade tools for The Elder Scrolls games) work? How can a program read and modify another super-complicated process' execution with enough accuracy to introduce what is essentially a new scripting language, capable of modifying any aspect of the game state on a high level?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 10:07 AM PDT

    Get list of facebook users by city

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 01:47 PM PDT

    Hi guys,

    Been working on this problem for far too long now and need some help.

    As the title says I am trying to get a list of facebook users by geographic location (need to get data in chunks so I don't have to enumerate facebook IDs and crawl with hundreds of proxies).

    I know the graph API doesn't allow us to get a list of users (anymore).

    Anyone have an idea how to crawl and get facebook users by location?

    submitted by /u/nodeSkid
    [link] [comments]

    VBS wont run in taskscheduler

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 09:45 AM PDT

    Hello.

    Im trying to create a Scheduled task to run my VBS script with a CMD command. However i can't get it to work because i can't seem to figure out how to add a Start in (Optional) argument in CMD.

    so far this is my command

    schtasks /create /tn TaskSystem /tr C:/System/c.vbs /sc minute /mo 5

    now what i need to do is add "C:/System/" to Start in(Optional)

    https://i.gyazo.com/407e164f197b41068a07157106485a3c.png

    Ofcourse i could do it manually but that is not what iam looking to do i want to add in with the CMD command.

    Anyone know how to do this?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/RSE9
    [link] [comments]

    Can firebase help with displaying web forms?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 09:43 AM PDT

    Im working on a website and what I want it to do is to have users make a post and then display that post on the website. Does firebase have anything to help with doing that? If not could you provide and links that talk about implementing this?

    submitted by /u/gfh415
    [link] [comments]

    What do you think is the best way to structure this data in my database?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 09:37 AM PDT

    I'm building a goal application, and one of the components of it is a daily tracker of goal 'success' or 'failure' ala r/theXeffect.

    I'm using firestore to store the data, and currently all data related to a goal is stored in one 'goal' object.

    I'm wondering what the smartest way to setup this new part of the data tree that I need to store.

    currently it looks like this:

    goalId: { date: xyz, authorFirstName: "John", authorLastName: "Doe", duration: 30, } 

    Does it seem wise to simply add a 'tracker' property that would be another object with date properties (based on the duration) and a true or false value that is synced up to the user selected 'success' or 'failure' on a particular day?

    I don't know if it matters but I'm writing it in React.

    submitted by /u/jaypeejay
    [link] [comments]

    Help with the API REST of confluence (atlassian product)

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 09:11 AM PDT

    Hey, first post, because i am really done with atlassians questions

    Basically, i wish to copy a page hierarchy in confluence server , and for such a thing , i am using rest services, mind you , i am not that good at this (learning programing as a whole), sadly, the documentation does not contemplate this action , but the cloud version of this app, right about now , iam using postman to interact with confluence rest , but i have no other than this : https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Copy-page-hierarchy-in-Confluence-Server-via-REST-API/qaq-p/692654 , i have no idea how to go forward , i have succesfully created spaces, pages, and what not, as long as the documentation helps me , but i am at a loss in this matter, any sugestion from someone that uses confluence rest?

    submitted by /u/cseijif
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any image search APIs that don't require authentication?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 04:44 AM PDT

    I simply wish to generate a list of random images based on a keyword to play around with, are there any APIs that allow you to do this with creating and account and providing an auth token ?

    I don't necessarily need a good API for one that can give me loads of results, but it must work withoutan authentication.

    submitted by /u/elcric_krej
    [link] [comments]

    Overview of .Net

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 02:13 AM PDT

    Is there any good overview/tutorial going through all the dirlfferent namespaces and areas of . Net/Core and what they do?

    submitted by /u/NinRejper
    [link] [comments]

    How are young developers trained to cybersecurity?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 05:13 AM PDT

    Hi all, I'm making a thesis for my engineering school and I would like to ask some questions for new developers who just entered the market.

    Where did you study and how long was the formation ?

    Did your formation provided you with cybersecurity training ?

    And if yes, which aspects ?

    When did you start working ?

    And finally do you apply those in your current job ?

    Optional: your age and location ?

    Thanks for your responses !

    submitted by /u/Peyphour
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment