• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 5, 2019

    We need to talk about what it is to be a Wordpress Dev. Some of you guys are killing people. web developers

    We need to talk about what it is to be a Wordpress Dev. Some of you guys are killing people. web developers


    We need to talk about what it is to be a Wordpress Dev. Some of you guys are killing people.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 10:08 AM PDT

    I have a client that needed a web app for his business that would walk his clients through information gathering and selection of systems for their company. It was not an entirely complex app but it was not simple either. Middle of the road stuff.

    Someone built it for him in WordPress. It was shit and any modification was a dance in plugin hell. How do I know? After huge expense and little results he hired me to fix stuff.

    Because my client perceived that he is "stuck" with his original creation and would not heed my rebuild advice he has bounced from WordPress dev to WordPress dev trying to get things working to his liking. Every dev I have consulted with thinks the same thing. "I'll use Gravity forms here, some shit plugin there and another fucked up plugin over here."

    I see this several times a year. unknowing clients hire a "Developer" to build an app and they get a WordPress monstrosity. Then I become the asshole that has to tell them it is not worth it to "fix" it. It needs to be re-built at twice the original cost.

    It's like WordPress devs think they can build web apps as one would build a spaceship with legos. Only they are using some obscure BLOX brand that doesn't even fit together correctly. At the end of the day it still won't fly to space because it's not a real fucking spaceship!!!

    WordPress is for brochure sites and blogs. That's it. Stop telling people you can build anything beyond that and fucking it all up.

    submitted by /u/swiftpants
    [link] [comments]

    University of Helsinki's free Full Stack MOOC now in English

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 11:02 PM PDT

    Just got let go. Have a baby on the way. Feel hopeless.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 07:39 AM PDT

    Been doing front end development for 6 years. Was at an agency for just over a year, they're struggling, let go myself and others.

    I have a little baby girl on the way, my first. She's here in two months. I'm crying as I type this because I don't know what's going to happen.

    Just wanted to see if any of you have any words of advice, or hope. Please.

    submitted by /u/jd0909
    [link] [comments]

    VS Code May 2019 (1.35) Released

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 11:20 AM PDT

    Where do you guys see tech going in the next 5 years?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 11:38 AM PDT

    I personally really like the way tech is going right now. There is a lot of experimentation on developing new technologies as well as maturing the technologies of the past 10 years, and I had this question in mind; What main progressions will we see in the coming 5 years?

    My predictions is that PHP is gonna become more and more attractive for complex systems, considering the major changes PHP has gotten in PHP7 (modernizing the language and huge performance increases). Typescript for front-end as well as WASM are gonna rise over the coming 5 years, and Rust will become a more popular language for enterprise since it's performance is amazing while being easier to use than C++ (imo). I'm really interested in the direction Golang is gonna take in the coming years since iirc there was an announcement a couple of months ago mentioning they'll listen a lot more to community feedback. I would personally also love to see Swift become more popular because it's a pretty fun language to work with, while being pretty modern and having pretty good performance.

    So where do you guys see tech going over the coming 5 years?

    submitted by /u/SKarajic
    [link] [comments]

    Too many Bootcamp graduates?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 05:00 AM PDT

    I graduated from General Assembly's Wev Development Immersive Bootcamp back at the end of November. Going through the program, the instructors were always very real about how difficult the job search would be, but I feel like things may have changed over the past couple of years.

    In the city I was living (Atlanta) the entry level positions I would find were either not using the languages I had learned or were looking for a more experienced dev. The way they were talking in the Bootcamp made me feel like the jobs were there, I just had to make myself the ideal candidate, but what I found was a lack of entry level jobs.

    I have since found a job (in a different city) and have moved to work there and am loving it, but I'm finding it hard to recommend anyone else do a Bootcamp. Atlanta had at least three large institutions pumping out Bootcamp grads and it seemed like its market was over saturated.

    I'm curious if anyone else has had that same issue or if it was exclusive to my own pocket of the U.S.

    submitted by /u/Norien711
    [link] [comments]

    Considering finding job in Europe

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 06:02 AM PDT

    I'm from Serbia, and I'm fullstack developer with 10 years of experience, big number of projects behind me, and working fulltime for marketing agency as developer.

    I was considering finding job in Europe (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands and so on) and since I don't have EU passport and don't know German well (learned it in school) and know English very well I was curious how employers look at these kind of applicants?

    Anyone with similar experience here to share their own?

    submitted by /u/daxsm
    [link] [comments]

    HTML-Quine: An html page that looks the same rendered and in source view.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 02:13 AM PDT

    Today's interview questions

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 07:50 AM PDT

    So I'm still on the interview streak I guess, now will cry less and directly jump into content.

    1) What is Redux Saga? ( yeah that was first question lol) - I said I don't know much but know about redux thunk so explained that

    2) What new features did HTML 5 bring in? - I got blank! then he said have you heard of Semantic tags I was still blank,

    3) What is CSS Box Model? - Explained the whole how a element has Content->Padding->Border->margin structure then he asked giving an example with

    <div>A</div>, <div>B</div>, <div>C</div> then why would B stick to left most part of the browser display, I explained that if we give it margin it will just move away from the left most part of the screen as well as the top and bottom div elements.

    but then the confusion was created that how can that happen?

    4) what are the different values you can give to position? - I could only recall absolute, relative

    5) what are the different values one can give to display? - I could recall none, in-line, block, flex

    then he brought in that A, B, C example again saying what will happen to B if we have it position relative I explained that it might overlap to the previous and set itself according to A's position

    then question: what if we give in-line and in-line block what will happen, explained that in-line will put those elements in a row where as block will create a block that extend the whole width of that element.

    Now coming to javascript

    6)

    ``` console.log(a, b, c, d);

    var a = 10; let b = 5; function(c){return 15;}; var d = function(){return 20;}; ```

    I said a will output undefined, because of hoisting only variable declaration gets hoisted not the initialization,

    b will throw some error (which I don't know) but let keyword doesn't hoist

    c I was unsure

    d I said same as a it will hoist that it is a function but not the execution and will just say undefined.

    but he said no you are wrong for c and d, I couldn't explained and got blank

    7)

    ``` var a = { x: 'something', y: 'technology', };

    var b = a; var c = b.y; var d = c; a.y='discussion';

    console.log(a, b, c, d); ```

    I said a will print out the object with updated value, b will print out object with old values c will be 'technology' since the old values and I was again unsure about d but said it will be same as c

    and the MAJOR LONG CONFUSION begins,

    I explained that b will have a's initialized state values but not the complete copy it will be pointing to a. he asked, like why do we need such code design ? What made it evolve into something like this? and what benefit does it give us?

    I was blank again but tried to explain in a way saying that when we want the old prototypes to be hold by the assignment and only use them while the particular object might get mutated later on in the code/procedure, so this one helps to resolve those kind of code design.

    And he kept asking those questions for few minutes.

    8) what is local storage? what is session storage? what are cookies?

    I explained the local storage that browser holds one object which we can access by get and set. But said session storage depends on our backend and how we write then on his notice I corrected that it is client side.

    then he asked can we delete/remove/destroy local-storage, or where does it get deleted? Noob, I said, it gets removed upon page refreshed?

    but then the cookies came and I said that whenever webpage loads it also stores some values in terms of object in browser's storage which can later be manipulated by the webpage's interactivity? but then he kept asking what are cookies?

    and I got confused!!!

    Learnings: Never need to give doubt myself. though thinking of leaving Javascript now.

    please someone motivate because from last interview's pub-sub implementation question to someone dominant keep asking his list of question my life dangles.

    My another tech lead said the other day people take interviews as people in company need someone who is higher then them. So don't know where I'm going wrong.

    My worries: I have not worked on any project since last 2 months. I want to do more projects build more stuff, with react, react native, even yet to learn React Hooks, I don't know when will all that happen?

    submitted by /u/tapu_buoy
    [link] [comments]

    What does designing mobile-first look like in your workflow?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 08:55 AM PDT

    Just curious how other designer/developers work with a mobile-first strategy and want to hear from others what your workflow looks like.

    I find it's more natural for me to handle all screen types simultaneously - in both design and development stages. When sketching wireframes, as an example - I might draw a one-column div for phone sizes, 2-col for tablet, and a 3-col for desktop. When building, I'll code the media query for that div in my stylesheet for all screen sizes at the same time. When testing, I'll do my view & refresh on my phone, tablet, and desktop all at once just for that particular div, to see how my code works. "Mobile-first" to me sounds like the designer/developer is building a site top-to-bottom for mobile, and then go back and do it all over again for desktop.

    Seems pretty inefficient to me - I'm a goldfish, and often forget what I named my CSS selectors as soon as I've switched from the stylesheet to the browser!😬

    Would love to hear what others do. Thanks for sharing!

    submitted by /u/hedgehogsweater
    [link] [comments]

    Tips when building a full stack project?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 12:23 PM PDT

    I'm currently going through Colt Steele's Web Developer Bootcamp course on Udemy and working on a personal project as I go through each lesson. I have a good idea as to what the most polished version of my project should look like (with the MERN stack), but I'm making things simple until then and just trying to get a MVP working. Once that's finished I will translate the code over to work with React and add styling. But for now it just uses mostly Express.

    Am I going about this correctly? This is the first serious personal project I've done and I want to make sure I do things right in the beginning to prevent any hardships later on. What other advice do you have for someone working on a full stack project?

    submitted by /u/DifferentAmbition
    [link] [comments]

    I'm about to start looking for a job, but I don't have a portfolio/projects.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 07:06 AM PDT

    Before I got my current job, I made some very basic projects with the limited knowledge I had. I got the job mostly due to the interview and not so much because of the projects. Since then, my skills have increased considerably. I have learned quite a bit through just writing code at work, and I am also taking online courses at home. However, between work, online courses, and personal stuff, I haven't put any time into any personal coding projects.

    Now, I am about to start looking for a decent paying (mostly front-end) junior web developer job. I feel like my resume is strong enough and I could do well in an interview, but I have no personal projects to show. (All of my work at my current job is confidential.) I only have a few weeks before I need to start applying for jobs.

    With all that in mind, what are my options? Any ideas for a quick project I could try and tackle? Or will I be okay explaining my situation and focusing on the interview? Thanks in advance!

    TL;DR: I need to start applying for jobs in a few weeks and have limited time. How should I handle the fact that I currently have no personal projects / portfolio to submit?

    submitted by /u/Jonathan7Luke
    [link] [comments]

    Today I finished a side project I started 4 years ago and all I have to show for it is this shitty accordion

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 03:45 PM PDT

    Is it possible to build scalable web apps without a front end framework such as React?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 09:38 AM PDT

    To me, React seems like a 10-tonne hammer. Thousands of npm dependencies, a custom syntax (JSX), and the framework's own opinions about things. I've recently started learning about web components and the shadow dom.

    Specifically, I want to build a desktop app using Electron. I'm wary of the fact that using the most popular tools is often the best decision because you'll get more support and you'll find more developers, and there's a set of best practices. But what does React offer that makes it worth using over creating custom HTML elements?

    If I start building this (relatively small, at the time) desktop app using web components, will it bite me in the back at a later time? No matter what I google, there seems to be no good articles about building web apps without a heavy front-end framework. I'm aware of the "lightweight" choices such as Vue or Riot, but why not simply use custom html elements?

    submitted by /u/Hates_Sundays
    [link] [comments]

    Testing a NestJS backend with Jest in 4 steps

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 06:40 AM PDT

    What is the best way to do console.log animations like this using JS?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 09:20 AM PDT

    JavaScript Async Function Keeps Running even after deleted - Need Help

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 03:05 PM PDT

    I had an Asynchronous Function in my JavaScript Code that would call an Ajax get request from my server and refresh data on the page every second. I deleted the Async code and cleared my cache to refresh the JavaScript but the Async code keeps running as if it still there.

    I was trying to reverse engineer what is going on and I'm completely stumped. I spent about 5 hours today trying to figure it out.

    If I change the Async function a second Async function starts running.

    Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? I am using Django.

    submitted by /u/DelKygras
    [link] [comments]

    DigitalOcean's update on the Raisup incident

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 06:02 PM PDT

    Trying to get chartjs to work with angular

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 02:43 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I'm trying to get chartjs to display multiple charts on one page, but I'm having a difficult time achieving such a feat. I thought maybe someone here could help me out.

    This is my HTML

    <div class="col-lg-9 float-right">
    <div class="row">
    <div class="col-lg-6 card-background"
    *ngFor="let game of games"
    >
    <div class="card-surround shadow-sm">
    <div>
    <h2>{{game.homeTeam}}</h2>
    <h2>{{game.awayTeam}}</h2>
    <canvas id="{{game.id}}">{{ chart }}</canvas>
    <hr>
    <p>{{game.gameTime}}</p>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>

    Here is my ts file

    import { Component, OnInit } from '@angular/core';
    import { _ } from 'underscore';
    import { Chart } from 'chart.js';
    @Component({
    selector: 'app-sports-cards',
    templateUrl: './sports-cards.component.html',
    styleUrls: ['./sports-cards.component.scss']
    })
    export class SportsCardsComponent implements OnInit {
    chart: [];
    games = [
    {
    id: '1',
    homeTeam: 'Bretts team',
    awayTeam: 'Another team',
    gameTime: 'March 15, 1989'
    },
    {
    id: '2',
    homeTeam: 'Andys team',
    awayTeam: 'Another team',
    gameTime: 'March 15, 1989'
    },
    {
    id: '3',
    homeTeam: 'Missys team',
    awayTeam: 'Another team',
    gameTime: 'March 15, 1989'
    },
    {
    id: '4',
    homeTeam: 'Jons team',
    awayTeam: 'Another team',
    gameTime: 'March 15, 1989'
    },
    ];
    constructor() { }
    ngOnInit() {
    _.each(this.games, (game) => {
    this.chart = new Chart(game.id, {
    type: 'doughnut',
    data: {
    labels: ["Africa", "Asia", "Europe", "Latin America", "North America"],
    datasets: [
    {
    label: "Population (millions)",
    backgroundColor: ["#3e95cd", "#8e5ea2","#3cba9f","#e8c3b9","#c45850"],
    data: [2478,5267,734,784,433]
    }
    ]
    },
    options: {
    title: {
    display: true,
    text: 'Predicted world population (millions) in 2050'
    }
    }
    });
    });
    }
    }

    So basically what I'm trying to do is, for every team create a new chart and display it in my html file next to my other stats.

    I thought that giving the canvas a dynamic id through the use of _.each would assign a different chart to each canvas but it doesn't seem to be working this way, do you know what I'm missing?

    submitted by /u/OogieBoogie1
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner Question: How to create & decide on architecture and services for Multi-tenant Saas App

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 02:21 PM PDT

    Context: I am an intermediate web developer. I am fairly competent in React/JS and getting somewhat comfortable with Node.js. My goal is to create a multi-tenant SaaS app and eventually make it into a viable business. My SaaS will be a B2B marketed towards small businesses and essentially will be something that helps them improve their customer service. Each small business will have private access to their own instance of the software. The data stored will be very minimal and will not be sensitive. I am thinking of maybe having a shared database with a logical separation of data (by tenant_id). However, I have hit a roadblock on figuring out how to design such a thing.

    What I have done: I have been googling all over for the past 3 days searching for ways to architect such a thing and the services that are most practical to use. I am pretty set with React as my front-end.

    I have looked at the various issues of database scaling, and the pros and cons of Physical separation of data vs Logical separation of data. I have looked at services such as Firebase which takes care of a lot of the backend and offers such things as Database management, hosting authentication, etc. I have looked at Heroku that offers hosting and DaaS. I have even started to look into the possibility of using Digital Ocean.

    I have perused StackOverflow, Reddit, indie hackers, and random tutorials. All lead to either extremely dated information or do not address the particular issue of how to set up a multi-tenant saas specifically. There is no Firebase or Heroku tutorial that seems to cover such a scenario.

    Problem I am attempting to solve: I am looking for guidance in the right direction (advice, tutorials, courses) on how I should go about creating a multi-tenant Saas App. The only options I can think of is:

    Use React w/ Firebase - (does firebase have the capability of doing this?)

    Use React/Node w/ Heroku - I see that in its Standard Heroku Postgres plan for $50/m it only allows for 120 connections. Excuse my naivety but does that mean only 120 clients can access (e.g. read, write) the database at a given time? isn't this a small amount?)

    Use React/Node w/ Digital Ocean

    I hope this fits in with the new rules of asking Beginners questions. Please let me know if it doesn't.

    submitted by /u/RSpringer242
    [link] [comments]

    Vue Dashboard Tutorial Using Cube.js

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 08:07 AM PDT

    Does it make sense to learn Python over PHP for remote work?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 02:08 AM PDT

    Hello.

    I enter distance learning at the university, I'd like to work in parallel. But at the same time, there were difficulties in choosing a programming language.

    It is clear that PHP is the best on the web. However, for many reasons, I'll need Python.

    Option was 2:

    1. Learn PHP for work, but after, learn Python.

    2. Immediately concentrate on Python.

    I looked for jobs, very little in Python in my country.

    But, I see no point in learning a language that will no longer be necessary.

    However, on the other hand, PHP is more popular. There are vacancies, if there is no distant work, freelancing will help out.

    I'd like to know your opinion about my situation.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Jonikster
    [link] [comments]

    Examples of navigation for sites with only two or three pages?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 01:31 PM PDT

    I'm building a user portal that has a dashboard plus one sub-page with a chart showing the user's monthly usage. On both pages, the header displays the logo of the site, page title, and user menu for the currently logged-in user.

    When the user navigates to the Monthly Usage page, I'd like to give them a sense of where they are in the app, and of how they can navigate back to the dashboard.

    For larger apps, I would typically use a main navigation bar and breadcrumbs. For this two-page app, the navbar doesn't make sense, and the breadcrumbs are questionable.

    All that is really needed is a "back to the dashboard" link, but everywhere I try placing that, it looks super clunky.

    Does anyone have any of examples of 2-3 page sites that have decent navigation, that I might look to for inspiration?

    I feel like I have no problem building clear navigation for larger sites, but for smaller 2-3 page sites like this I always struggle to know what to do.

    submitted by /u/FlexNastyBIG
    [link] [comments]

    Self taught dev

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 01:16 PM PDT

    How many hours should a self taught dev spend learning how to code a day? Like being self taught there really isn't a guide to follow so its hard for me to know if im doing good or bad.

    Some questions i have •) Like i said how many hours should a web dev spend a day on coding.

    •) How long should one spend on learning how to code to start applying for jobs at the minimum.

    •) How much is too much coding, I started to think I'm spending too much time of learning how to code.

    submitted by /u/vibelord
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment