• Breaking News

    Thursday, June 27, 2019

    Video Game Texturing 101 from "World of Warcraft" Game Designer

    Video Game Texturing 101 from "World of Warcraft" Game Designer


    Video Game Texturing 101 from "World of Warcraft" Game Designer

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 08:16 AM PDT

    I remade my favorite flash game from my childhood, 'Age of War'.

    Posted: 26 Jun 2019 01:12 PM PDT

    Any good resources to learn to build effective, pleasant UIs?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 09:52 AM PDT

    I mean UIs like Cities Skylines, Civilization.. Basically UI-heavy games

    It seems so many resources in this area are geared towards web development

    I need to learn the design principles behind UI elements as they relate to gamedev.. Like, how to appropriately apply drop shadow, glow. How to effectively and pleasantly layout text, etc

    So are there any courses/guides on YouTube or elsewhere?

    Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/Eofbfkkwbdb
    [link] [comments]

    How should I call in-game currency?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 10:23 AM PDT

    So far I didn't call it anything and just shown $ sign in front of it. Now that I want to add IAPs this would be confusing, people may think the new hat will cost them $10. I was contemplating "credits", "coins", "gold", "stars". What other options are there? Also what symbol to use to denote price in this currency?

    ¢10 (for credits instead of $, probably confusing with cents) 10⭐ 10💰 10💸 10💎 10🌕

    submitted by /u/the_blanker
    [link] [comments]

    I made Pencil vs. Eraser as a tribute to imagination games I used to play as a kid. I hope you enjoy.

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 11:29 AM PDT

    The difference 1.5 years of (part-time) progress can make!

    Posted: 26 Jun 2019 03:58 PM PDT

    What kinds of things can I put in a design portfolio?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 08:20 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, currently I'm a part time student studying in a video game design and production course, and as I'm wrapping up my first year I want to start seriously working on my portfolio.

    Personally, I'm a narrative/story focused individual who loves to create the world, the characters in the world, and events said characters will be going through.

    Currently I'm working on 2 world building projects, one for a D&D campaign, but using that pre-existing setting and creating a new "world" so to speak that everyone inhabits.

    The other is a completely original world from scratch, along with characters and a story that I want to write that takes place there. This one is more intended to be something I'd like to see actually created, either in video game or maybe even animated series form.

    Anyways, any additional ideas/tips for things I can put into this kind of portfolio would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/Sbreddragon
    [link] [comments]

    New Open Source Multi-player Platform! What features do you need?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 10:44 AM PDT

    Hi All! I'm a long time industry veteran having worked as an online/network engineer for titles like Hawken and XCOM 2. I've recently developed an open source multi-player platform and am looking for some feedback on what I should be building next.

    I've already got the following features completed:
    - Account management

    - Character data / statistics

    - Matchmaking

    - Game sessions

    - Game server auto-scaling

    - Localization

    - Asset management

    - Metrics & Telemetry

    For a complete list click here. I'm currently looking to add the following features but would like feedback on what is most important for devs like yourself.

    - Social (friends list, game invites, etc)

    - Party system

    - Guilds / clan system

    - Leaderboards

    - Player inventory

    - Player progression

    - Achievements

    - Tournaments

    - Networking engine (a Photon alternative)

    If you prefer to give your feedback anonymously I've also created a survey.

    submitted by /u/acceleratxr
    [link] [comments]

    A Guide to DIY Market Research for Indie Game Devs

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 10:02 AM PDT

    A "shaders for dummies" book??

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 03:20 AM PDT

    Can any of you guys suggest a book in the spirit of "For Dummies" for shaders??

    submitted by /u/cosmicPulsar01
    [link] [comments]

    Practicing with First Person Controller in Unity

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 11:46 AM PDT

    I made a video on my progress with a first person controller. There are still some problems, like camera shaking against colliders, and crouching. If someone would be able to help with that, that would be amazing.

    https://youtu.be/JbzRjagiSgE

    submitted by /u/gamedevmatthew
    [link] [comments]

    Is Siggraph worth disappointing my family over?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 11:06 AM PDT

    Hi all! Apologies if this is inappropriate for this sub. I was looking for advice from devs who have been to Siggraph before and if they thought it was worth it.

    Some background: I'm a (very) recent college grad and was invited by my major's chair to showcase my team's senior game at Siggraph. I'm currently on the job hunt but do not have anything nailed down yet. Unfortunately I had already committed to go on a big trip with my family over the same time period and I feel guilty backing out of it. (My family rarely does this, maybe once every 8 years or so)

    Other details: For volunteering a few hours at my college's booth, I'd be able to get a free pass and a hotel room, but I'd have to pay for my own airfare.

    For those who have been to Siggraph, what was your experience like? Did you feel like it had a positive effect on your career? For someone in my position who's just starting out, would you recommend going? Any and all advice helps, thanks!

    submitted by /u/spicydino
    [link] [comments]

    Teaching an AI to fight so that i can fight it in VR!

    Posted: 26 Jun 2019 10:48 PM PDT

    I have been teaching a neural network to fight with a sword, with the ultimate goal of one day facing it in VR in awesome one on one combat! Im 10 days in and i'm finally moving on to duels, kind of.

    I try to start a training session everyday before work, check it out! Im probably live right now!

    https://gph.is/g/E1Gjm7r

    https://gph.is/g/aXpRmYA

    submitted by /u/Sajdkick
    [link] [comments]

    How to make cool art with no talent

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 12:10 AM PDT

    Recently watched Mattias Dittrich (Ditto) - Make It Wiggle (or How to Make Cool Art with No Talent) and thought I'd share my notes.

    "The point is to make the thing feel alive"

    The presenter gives a list of tips and has a demo for each for how to make simple but effective game art by using code to enhance it.

    1. Draw everything four times, use as anim frames, subtle differences give a fun wiggle. 2. Draw some props and just place them randomly around. 3. Add color, but desaturate them a bit so they don't clash so much. 4. To props add random scaling, tint and random rotation (this made a HUGE difference). 5. Random splotches makes it seems like there are stars and ground details. 6. Full-screen transparent colored rect on top tints everything, reduces color clash. 7. Clouds, grass, moon 8. Make stars move, moon swing. Everything looks alive, even his ground wiggles. 9. Make props wobble a bit when the player walks past. 10. Stretch sprites. Pull / smush when turning, jumping. 11. Add (colored) outlines by drawing sprite eight times, slightly offset, in a different color. 12. Screenshake 
    submitted by /u/bemmu
    [link] [comments]

    Free For Hire just dm me

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 11:45 AM PDT

    Help Coming up with Tiered Spell Names

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 11:30 AM PDT

    Call me old fashioned, but I love the old school RPG styled tired spells. Stuff like Final Fantasy's Thunder-Thundra-Thundaga, or Dragon Quests Woosh-Wooshle-KaWoosh-Kawooshle. It has a certain charm to it, and makes it easy to tell how powerful a spell is at a glance. I know it's kind of a divided opinion whether this type of skill names are liked or not, but it's really nostalgic to me.

    So, I've been trying to come up with a good sounding set of prefixes/suffixes for my own JRPG, but have been stumped on this for longer than I really should have.

    I currently am working with Flare-Flaremore-Flaremire, with either RaFlare or OmniFlare as a multi-target version of the spell, but it just doesn't feel right.

    I'd really appreciate any brainstorming help here. Thank you :)

    submitted by /u/Vis_Mage
    [link] [comments]

    I made a mario game with c# & monogame/xna

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 11:12 AM PDT

    Actually this can be considered like a test build. This isn't even a pre-alpha build.

    github.com/vedfi There is a gameplay video link in the readme file.

    https://i.redd.it/xh25u9vgwx631.jpg

    https://i.redd.it/ogg10mugwx631.jpg

    submitted by /u/mrjavamagician
    [link] [comments]

    Which subreddit is good to find beta testers for a game?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 10:29 AM PDT

    Examples of Multivariable a Calc in game development?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 10:14 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I'm a novice programmer with dreams of creating games. I'm currently taking a Calc 3 class and was wondering if you guys came across any scenarios where you used Calculus directly in you code or to solve a problem. I'm just looking for a little extra motivation to learn more of this topic. It seems like all the vector math will be useful when using physics and motion like in Unity, but am curious about the uses of other topics.

    submitted by /u/LusciousBagel
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for an artist to commission

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 10:03 AM PDT

    Not sure if this is the best place to ask this question but I need some direction

    Here goes (I've been very busy this year)

    1. I am currently developing an MMORPG experience with my own networking. I have implemented a fair amount of features that have all been successfully tested and I am now at a point where I need to commission a 3D artist to model, rig, and create 4 simple animations for a base character avatar in order for me to move forward with this project.

    2. I have never commissioned or spoken to an artist before about creating assets so I was wondering if anyone here was familiar with some artist (or at least could point me in the proper direction) that would be willing to discuss what they could offer me and what would be appropriate for me to pay them in return for their work.

    3. As I said above this may not be the best place to throw this question out there BUT I could use some help here and I appreciate any advice.

    submitted by /u/CraftySkeletons
    [link] [comments]

    Unity is unable to copy dll files from temp folder to assemblies - Need help

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 10:01 AM PDT

    Hey gamedev community !

    I have already posted this in /r/Unity3D but no one could help... Has any of you ever come across this issue before ? It is the first time I'm getting such error after Unity crashed, and even after googling for hours I'm still unable to get rid of this...

    https://i.redd.it/d81hk9nbkx631.png

    Unity is telling me that it is unable to copy dll files from the temp folder to its corresponding assembly folder. It's giving me the error for Unity's base packages, as well as bought assets.

    What have I already done based on my Google searches (and as you may know nothing of these worked):

    - Reimport my whole project, even my script folders and assembly folders individually

    - No antivirus are installed that could cause this problem (some people suggested Kaspersky could cause the issue)

    - Uninstalled my unity version and installed it again

    - Completely uninstalled unity, all of its versions and even unity HUB and reinstalled everything

    - Created a fresh project, but the issue reappeared directly after loading it the first time

    As a last resort, I'm calling for help to you experts hoping someone has encountered this issue before and found a solution to it.

    Thank you community !

    submitted by /u/DoucheMcAwesome
    [link] [comments]

    my gamedev vlog

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 09:43 AM PDT

    we made I Hope This Time - Arcade Game (warning: we are not responsible for any damage caused after playing this game)

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 09:08 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment