• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 11, 2019

    The online course for "Automate the Boring Stuff with Python" is free to sign up this week. learn programming

    learn programming

    The online course for "Automate the Boring Stuff with Python" is free to sign up this week. learn programming


    The online course for "Automate the Boring Stuff with Python" is free to sign up this week.

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 02:44 PM PDT

    School's out, but that doesn't mean you have to stop learning. The online video course from the author of "Automate the Boring Stuff with Python" (that's me) is free to sign up for this week. This sign up will give you life time access to the course. Just use the following link:

    https://www.udemy.com/automate/?couponCode=SCHOOLS_OUT

    This course is made for complete beginners who have no experience programming. It's "programming for office workers" because it skips computer science and teaches you how to do practical tasks: web scraping, updating Excel spreadsheets, parsing PDFs and Word documents, sending out automated email and text notifications, controlling the mouse and keyboard, and more. If you're an experienced programming, you can skip the first half (which covers basic programming concepts) and directly learn about several useful modules for Python.

    (This code expires on June14th. Previously I'd give out codes to folks who asked me after the expiration, but it turns into a logistical headache to keep making coupons each time someone asked, so the deadline is firm.)

    If you'd like to support me by using an affiliate code (or encourage yourself to finish the course since you put money down on it), you can also use one of these links to pay what you like: (MODS: if this is too spammy, I can take these links down)

    This online course covers most, but not quite everything, in the Automate the Boring Stuff with Python book, which is freely available online under a Creative Commons license. You can read it at: https://automatetheboringstuff.com/ (The book has a few more examples, and also covers programmatically creating/editing image files, for example).

    Good luck on your programming journey!

    submitted by /u/AlSweigart
    [link] [comments]

    Automate the Boring Stuff with Python

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 06:14 PM PDT

    Hey guys! A few days ago I posted about learning code over the summer, the suggestion I got was to pick up the book called " Automate the Boring Stuff with Python " its been okay so far I am a couple chapters in. I wouldn't say I know the whole basics of python but the book kinda does get boring but I still wanna learn is there any websites that have some sorta mini games or anything to keep me interested I do still plan on reading the book. Just that I want to do something in between. I am leaning towards mostly Hacking that has always fascinated me. Thanks in advance guys!

    submitted by /u/Jbtripz
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for machine learning course with a focus on understanding the math

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 11:40 PM PDT

    I've been going through the Stanford online machine learning course in the hopes of getting a better grasp of machine learning. But when it gets to the first bit about formulas and algorithms it seems like the lecturer assumes I have an understanding of how to do the math part. I'm wondering if there are any courses or learning resources out there that explain the math part in a more introductory manner.

    submitted by /u/nunc_ostendisti
    [link] [comments]

    Code Help Discord | Code Support for Developers and Programmers of all skill levels

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 06:13 PM PDT

    CodeHelp is a community-driven Discord server, comprised of developers, designers, and marketers of all skill levels. Our goal is to create a fun, helpful discord based group where people can get the development and programming support they need. Some of the development and marketing areas in the group include:

    • HTML / CSS
    • JavaScript (including libraries and frameworks)
    • PHP
    • Python
    • Java
    • Design
    • SEO
    • PPC
    • and much more.

    We're currently looking for adept developers for assisting with some of the various channels we currently have.

    Feel free to join us on Discord via https://discord.gg/KntFa9p

    submitted by /u/good3n
    [link] [comments]

    I have a simple java game that runs on eclipse. How should I "show" this off as a personal project?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 11:46 PM PDT

    The only way I can think of is putting all my files on github, but that would require the user (my employer) to download it, put it in eclipse, and run it. Is this professional? Sorry for the incompetence. I'm 18.

    submitted by /u/Embarrassed_Dust
    [link] [comments]

    ATC/Checkout Sneaker Bot

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 11:41 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm looking to code a sneaker bot using c++. Primarily for use on sites like champs, footlocker, eastbay, footaction. I've done some coding with c++ in the past, but just trying too look where to start. I want to use c++ because of the efficiency and performance of it. Trying to make it work without actually opening up the browser, but opening up an instance of it to cut down on time. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/itz_myers
    [link] [comments]

    Python remove_vowel function: Codecademy

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 11:38 PM PDT

    I'm currently working through Codecademy's Python course and I'm having trouble creating a function that removes vowels from a string, and then returns that modified string. Here's my code so far:

    def anti_vowel(string): b = "" for z in string: if(z.lower()=='a' or z.lower()=='e' or z.lower()=='i' or z.lower()=='u'): b = string.replace(z, "") print "test" print b return b 

    For some reason it only seems to work on removing the letter 'a' but none of the other vowels.

    submitted by /u/windslow_sim
    [link] [comments]

    So if someone asks you to helped them with learning computer programming, what would be the type of teaching approaches you would apply to help with their learning process?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 07:42 PM PDT

    Maybe I would asked them what would they want to program and how would they go about determining what software development tools would they need that meets their desires

    submitted by /u/JanePoe87
    [link] [comments]

    I want to learn to code well enough to be able to make my own game. Where to start?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 03:46 PM PDT

    I've tried a few times to learn coding but nothing really ever made me really try to learn.

    So what skills do I need to be able to start creating a game?

    submitted by /u/mr42ndstblvdworks
    [link] [comments]

    Udemy java project course with responsive / helpful instructors

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 11:15 PM PDT

    Seeking suggestions for java courses that have: 1. Practical projects (preferably beginner TO ADVANCED, not just simple CRUD) 2. Good instructors who responds <24 hours?

    I could study myself but it takes way longer and I'm on a time crunch, so looking for help from good instructors

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/animesarang
    [link] [comments]

    I know linear algebra knowledge is very important in machine learning. Would these courses build on top of this knowledge?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 10:58 PM PDT

    I'm considering taking these courses, to build my machine learning and programming skills. I know "tensors" are important but don't know how learning about them is different than learning linear algebra.

    https://courses.illinois.edu/schedule/2019/fall/MATH/481

    Also not sure how these courses would benefit me:

    https://courses.illinois.edu/schedule/2019/fall/MATH/482

    https://courses.illinois.edu/schedule/2019/fall/MATH/484

    submitted by /u/logicallyzany
    [link] [comments]

    What's a cheap/free way to get some remote compute for my own use?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 10:38 PM PDT

    What's a good, cheap/free way of having a compute node to myself? I'd like to have something similar to an EC2 instance that I get to `ssh` into, run some stupid API endpoints on that I would use myself, maybe a dumb webpage etc. I just want to have a remote box I can use to play around.

    I've seen some people talk about stuff in this subreddit like 5$/month on DigitalOcean that seems promising.

    The thing I'd really like to avoid is anything that could magically wreck me with a sudden $1000 bill but ticks the boxes I'm looking for above.

    submitted by /u/throw_the_bone
    [link] [comments]

    [Python] Simple way to send variables from my python script to a custom Android App.

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 10:29 PM PDT

    Hello, So basically I have a python script that processes some info and generates a few variables(Strings and Integers)

    I want to send that to my phone(roughly every 4 - 6 hours). I have done a bit of Android Programming in the past so I know how to set a simple app with basic HTTPRequests capabilities.

    What would be the simplest way to transmits these variables to my app.

    submitted by /u/Fhy40
    [link] [comments]

    How to decide between learning Python or Ruby for Web Development?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 10:24 PM PDT

    Assuming that we only care about Web Development, would Ruby or Python be a better bet?

    Python is much more popular than Ruby overall, but most of it seems to be focused on AI/ML/DS hype. You can do Web Dev in Python via Django and Flask but I'm not sure how popular they are. Python is possibly the best coding interview programming language.

    Ruby is much less popular overall than Python but Ruby on Rails is much more popular than Django or Flask. Ruby on Rails is also taught at a lot of coding bootcamps and serves as a strong MVC foundation for rapid prototyping. Ruby is rarely used as a coding interview programming language unless it's the only language you know.

    What would be the best course of action: Learn BOTH Python AND Ruby or learn one of them and if so wjcih one? Would the benefits of Python being more popular than Ruby overall outweight Django/Flask being less popular than Ruby on Rails?

    submitted by /u/OverMatch4
    [link] [comments]

    PHP or Python for Backend. How to make the right choice?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 10:10 PM PDT

    Hello.

    Recently, I started choosing a programming language for backend programming.

    I choose between PHP and Python, because these are more popular programming languages.

    There are many advantages with PHP, there are many advantages with Python.

    I'd like to ask you what do you think about PHP? What do you think about Python? And a few other questions on this topic.

    I'd like to describe my position here and get your advice.

    How to make the right choice?

    I was offered a good way. Try both. This is a really good way, but not for me.

    It takes time. It's better for me to focus on one thing. Because besides developing my own web applications, I'm interested in finding a job.

    Here PHP wins for me because there are more PHP jobs in my place.

    However, I don't think this is important. I can improve my English and work remotely in another country.

    You will ask which of these two programming languages ​​I know better?

    I'll answer, I both know at about the same level. I know the basics of PHP, I know the basics of Python. I know classes and objects in both languages. If I go with PHP, I'll learn Laravel. If I go with Python, I'll learn Django.

    The main advantage of PHP for me, the popularity of the web.

    The main advantage of Python for me is the ability to develop not only web applications. I'm interested in machine learning, artificial intelligence and robotics. I think one way or another, in the future I will be learning Python.

    PHP 7.3 is faster than Python + Django. Perhaps for web applications such as Reddit this is not important, but if you take big corporate web applications that require processing a big amount of information and clients, I think there is a difference between 10 ms and 30 ms.

    Let's remember that I choose a programming language primarily for web programming. If you take statistics, then about 79% of sites use PHP. While Python is used by about 1.1% of sites.

    https://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/programming_language/all

    In addition, as I know, in many popular web applications, Python is not the only programming language.

    I have heard many times that if you take the amount of code, then in Python, less code is required to solve problems. Can you show it with concrete examples?

    About flexibility in the development of web applications. Sometimes flexible development is required.

    I could use Flask, but this is not as convenient as PHP.

    What syntax do I like more? PHP. I could use PHP for web applications and C# for other applications. But there are parsers, Telegram bots, machine learning, artificial intelligence, robotics, Python is better at this.

    Let's take a specific task.

    I'd like to develop a social network. Like Facebook, but more like interpals.

    What will it be easier to do and why? With PHP or with Python?

    In Python, there is Django rest, with which I can create the API of my web application. But I don't know anything about this in PHP.

    I'm a beginner developer. I may not know many things. I'd like to get good advice on how I can make the right choice.

    I'm not interested in short answers, "Learn PHP", "Learn Python". I ask you to justify your position. I'd like to get more specifics.

    Thanks in advance and thanks for your time!

    submitted by /u/Jonikster
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner - How can I use Google Ads API?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 05:59 PM PDT

    I'd like to make a basic script to manage my google ads account, but I don't really understand how to get all the pieces of the puzzle together.

    Even if I simply wanted to have a page, that told me the name of my account, I wouldn't know where to start.

    I can handle HTML/CSS/and Javascript, so I figured this would be the best way to approach my first mini app with a pretty UI.

    However, The Google Ads API page doesn't have a Javascript Library, so do I need to learn one of the other languages before I can start making a button that runs basic commands?

    I feel super overwhelmed. I have tried to understand the documentation, but it's so over my head, it's disappointing.

    submitted by /u/_SGP_
    [link] [comments]

    Handmade Hero Day 001 - Confused by all the drudge work

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 09:43 PM PDT

    Hey guys, so I just started watching handmade hero and I'm going into my sophomore year of uni as a comp sci major, and man it almost sounds like he's speaking a different language entirely when he's explaining all the drudgework going on, I know small words and pieces that I learned from some of my classes, but everything else is confusing.. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can pick up more on navigating files, using the command line effectively, and figuring out the deeper levels of programming?

    submitted by /u/LastVisage
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know hex codes/hexadecimals?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 09:42 PM PDT

    I have a game that was ported badly, and the only way to play it in a resolution that several users machines can handle is to modify the hex code that determines native resolution. Said code is as follows.

    80 07 00 00 C7 85 54 02 00 00 38 04

    The game naturally runs in 1920x1080 resolution, no matter what you do to it; going into the graphics menu and changing resolution doesn't work, as the game refuses to run in any resolution but 1920x1080 unless you forcibly change the code. I was able to force it to run in 1366x768 by changing the code to this.

    56 05 00 00 C7 85 54 02 00 00 00 03

    The game in question has a resolution option of 1360x765. The current issue is that by forcing the native resolution to 1366x768 causes a number of graphical glitches that, while not game-breaking, are excessively annoying.

    I have a theory that forcing the native resolution to one of the display options may fix the issue - specifically, to 1360x765. Does anyone have any idea what I could change the hex code to? If needed, I can provide different lines of code.

    I have already made a backup of the .exe file, just in case. The program I used to get these codes is HxD.

    edit: typo

    edit2: Game in question is Death end re;Quest. It was ported, very lazily, from PS4 to PC by Idea Factory.

    submitted by /u/Macabre_Mage
    [link] [comments]

    Can't return my object in String form

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 05:24 PM PDT

    I'm a bit lost in two ways. I'm doing an online tutorial and we're doing objects within objects. For my assignment I have to create a method that adds one to this.seconds. And I have to return this.hours, this.minutes, and this.seconds as a string.

    package problem89_clock; import java.util.Calendar; public class Problem89_Clock { public static void main(String[] args) { Clock clock = new Clock(23, 59, 50); int i = 0; while( i < 20) { System.out.println( clock ); //clock.tick(); i++; } } } 

    That's the main which I don't have to work on as it's given to me. The .tick method is supposed to add one to seconds but I commented it out until I can get past the return method.

    package problem89_clock; public class Clock { private BoundedCounter hours; private BoundedCounter minutes; private BoundedCounter seconds; public Clock(int hoursAtBeginning, int minutesAtBeginning, int secondsAtBeginning) { this.hours = new BoundedCounter(hoursAtBeginning); this.minutes = new BoundedCounter(minutesAtBeginning); this.seconds = new BoundedCounter(secondsAtBeginning); } public void tick(){ this.hours = new BoundedCounter(1); } public String toString(){ return (this.hours + ":" + this.minutes + ":" + this.seconds); } } 

    There's my Clock class.

    package problem89_clock; public class BoundedCounter { private int value; private int upperLimit; public BoundedCounter(int upperLimit) { this.upperLimit = upperLimit; this.value = 0; } public void next() { if (this.value<=this.upperLimit){ this.value++;} if(this.value>this.upperLimit){ this.value=0; } } public String toString() { if(this.value>=10){ return "" + this.value;} else { return "0"+this.value;} } public int getValue(){ return this.value; } public void setValue( int newValue){ if(value>=0 && value<this.upperLimit){ this.value = newValue; } } } 

    Here is the BoundedCounter class. It was from a previous assignment so most of what's in it can be ignored.

    Whenever I run my method I just get 00:00:00

    submitted by /u/spikelived321
    [link] [comments]

    A Competitive Programming question help .

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 09:06 PM PDT

    We are given an Array which we have to divide in two (non empty) parts such that the Sum of the GCD of two parts is maximum .

    What ive figured out is to just sort the array and put the largest element on one side and rest of the array in another and add the GCD.

    My friend says you are missing one case out here Can anyone help ?

    submitted by /u/AnantNaad
    [link] [comments]

    GDB is not running my program

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 08:39 PM PDT

    I am trying to use gdb on my a.out file but when I type the run command, my terminal hangs on 'starting program' and I can't even kill the process with control+c. This is what the terminal looks like, https://imgur.com/a/Ab4tctf. gdb was installed using brew and the file was compiled with the -g flag.

    I have followed all the steps in code signing gdb through https://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/PermissionsDarwin#checklist.

    If you know why this occurs, please let me know.

    submitted by /u/theminijuan
    [link] [comments]

    So i take my first job.... (HELP THIS NEWBIE !) PHP

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 08:24 PM PDT

    As the title says, i take my first job as junior in the company of a relative with the requirement of wanting to learn php and laravel.

    He proposed a book to start named "Getting Started With Laravel 4 by Raphael Saunier",but i recently had issues with the versions of the software, so i started watching youtube videos for PHP and Laravel .... but still i feel like im learning like a turtle (you dont know nothing john snow), one month has passed but i need good books and materials, so i need your help guys, im really nervous :(

    PD: Im still in college, Third year of computer engineering

    submitted by /u/Pinozh
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to create a 'cafe order system' in C++ -

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 08:22 PM PDT

    Hi! So I've been working on a 'cafe order system' in C++ - I want to post it on Github, but it won't work. So when I try to 'order', it won't let me 'press any key to continue', and skips right to 'enter the number(s) of whatever item(s) you want to order'.

    So I wanted "Added to total order" to print whenever the user ordered, but it won't do that. When I just resignedly press 'C' to go to checkout, it goes into an infinite loop.

    I used classes for this project; here is my code.

    Order.h

    ---------------------------------------

    #include <iostream> #include <string> #include <fstream> using std::string; using std::istream; using std::ostream; #ifndef ORDER_H_ #define ORDER_H_ class Order { public: Order(); void display_menu(); int get_order_num(); void take_order(); void print_receipt(); void call_order(); double get_total_price(); private: int order_num, num_items_ordered, item_nums[10], order_nums[100]; string full_order[10], menu[10]; double prices[10], order_prices[10], total_price; }; 
    

    No comments:

    Post a Comment