• Breaking News

    Saturday, June 8, 2019

    Thank you Google? web developers

    Thank you Google? web developers


    Thank you Google?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 09:07 AM PDT

    Could anyone tell me what this wireframe software is?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 11:56 AM PDT

    Why Dark Gray is Brighter than Gray In CSS

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 07:21 PM PDT

    What the heck is headless CMS?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 11:13 AM PDT

    I've heard great things about Headless CMS for small business sites as a way to get the features of a Wordpress blog without the plugins? Can someone explain this tech like I'm 12? I did a little Googling and it seems very a la carte at the moment. Is it still 'choose your own adventure' as far as the tech stack is concerned?

    submitted by /u/efwells101
    [link] [comments]

    bumCSS is a pragmatic approach to write scalable and maintainable css

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 09:38 AM PDT

    I'm working on formalizing my personal favorite approach to write and structure css. I really would be very interested in hearing your thoughts about it.

    Have a look: https://github.com/johannesjo/bumcss

    submitted by /u/johannesjo
    [link] [comments]

    Can't find a "Junior Web Developer Job".

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 02:36 PM PDT

    My name is Hunter Shaw and I'm trying to find my first real job; as a junior web developer. I was wondering if the good people of this sub-Reddit could look at some of my links that I have down below and could give some practical advice and feedback, because obviously I'm not doing something I'm suppose to be doing.

    Website: https://hunterstevenshaw.com/

    Github: https://github.com/Kasador

    Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/hunter-shaw-947464161/

    I recently graduated with an associates degree in Web Development. And even have some actual projects that I've done, yet; I really can't seem to get even an interview. I'd like to also point out that I do live in Houston, Texas where I thought there would be plenty of jobs and opportunities. I feel as life I'm just complaining and if I am, please let me know.

    I really just want to start my career; code, development, make friends. I've been revamping a lot of things and I've been applying on Indeed, Glassdoor, and ZipRecruiter. Is there better ways of applying to places? I was about to start walking into places; however, my aunt told me that it's 2019 and that they will most likely just tell me to go apply, if there is positions opens, online. Which makes sense.

    I just feel hopeless, and in my area I see a ton of applications for React developers. So, on my spare time I've been learning React on my own. I'm really passionate about what I do and I know if I got to the interview process I would do considerably well, in my opinion of course.

    When I'm looking at places and applications to apply, even for the ones that do have titles like, "Junior Web Developer", they seem to have been created by the HR departments, I'm almost sure of it. I say this, well, because of how they seem to list almost every language on the internet and suggest that I "must have at least three to five years of experience" and I just sit back in my chair and laugh (and cry a little too). How are people these days, especially the new web developers, finding and actually getting jobs? I find so much irony in this as all the entry level jobs demand tons of experience and skills, yet; they are the entry level job positions to gain just that.

    Again, if I'm bitching and I'm in the wrong, please let me know.

    Now, I know finding a job doesn't just happen over night and I must have patience. I was wondering if what I'm currently doing is okay and that it's just a matter of time that will land me my first real job. I don't know, do y'all think that's the case? If not, I'd love to have some feedback to help improve my chances.

    Any stories, thoughts, comments, jokes, remarks? All is welcome.

    Looking forward to what y'all have to say && happy coding.

    <!-- too long, don't read -->

    TL;DR: Any advice to landing that first real job as a junior web developer.

    submitted by /u/Cazador23
    [link] [comments]

    Made a simple weather web app using OpenWeatherMap API.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 05:45 AM PDT

    A URL Shortener project I shared a while back and have since improved with Analytics!

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 05:18 AM PDT

    Hello Webdevs!

    A while back I shared my URL Shortener project: Trimlink.site

    As promised I did get around to adding Analytics. This is an early attempt and will be updated almost daily with new features.

    Here is the Analytics link for the link above as a demo.

    https://trimlink.site/analytics_v2/?id=95bc510cf68b808a863834369bd6381cfd753015

    Like I say its a WIP but it is almost fully functional.

    Let me know what you think :)

    submitted by /u/jmdawson
    [link] [comments]

    Web dev application questions for applying

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 01:19 PM PDT

    When recruiters view your app for juniors what do they view? If I have a portfolio site and GitHub in my resume, will they actually see my work? Or only will the interviewers view that stuff? What should I do to stand out to get the phone interview from the recruiter ?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Jayboii478
    [link] [comments]

    Creating Our Component Library

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 06:44 AM PDT

    What's the status of Windows for web development in 2019?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 04:20 AM PDT

    Hello web devs! I have the impression that my laptop (macbook pro 15" 2013) is not as fast as it used to be and it might have some cooling problems because the fan spins very loudly basically for everything I do (it's enough to open a youtube video). Plus the battery last about 2/3 hours now...it services me well but it might be time to buy something as a back-up!

    Now the big question. I don't want to buy another apple product until the fix the keyboard and the cooling system and since I'm moving around a lot lately I want something on the smaller side, in order to keep the 15" as a main machine and have something lighter to carry around. I like the Thinkpad helix quite a lot, small, nice screen, Thinkpad keyboards...the problem is that it has windows and I'm not going to install linux on a machine that can be a tablet...how's windows for web dev in 2019?

    I mean, I use the terminal quite a lot, my main editor is Vim, I have a lot of scripts, shell tweaks that help me for common daily tasks...I use Brew to install programs...that kind of stuff. I am afraid that I will loose that flow in a Windows machine but I'm not sure cause the last windows version I have used is windows 2000....what do you think?

    submitted by /u/sibliss
    [link] [comments]

    Here's a boilerplate with scripts to set up a React app with WebAssembly (Rust) ready to use

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 01:58 PM PDT

    https://github.com/robtaussig/React-WASM-boilerplate

    Disclaimer: Treat this as purely an opportunity to get your toes wet. I am a beginner myself in terms of WebAssembly and for all I know there are much better ways to set up an app with it.

    That said, I have read quite a few tutorials on getting started, and while I am comfortable with Rust, I can see how these otherwise straightforward guides might overwhelm those who aren't familiar with the Rust toolchain. Anyway, outside of git clone, npm install and npm start, this should be ready to use after invoking 3 npm scripts. I split them up because one of them will become part of your development flow (to compile changes to your Rust code to wasm), and another is a hack to make developing locally easier (npm link-ing to your package target). If you know what you are doing, you can bypass the npm link script.

    Hope you enjoy!

    submitted by /u/Aswole
    [link] [comments]

    Sublime text to Visual Studio Code swap

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 01:13 PM PDT

    Not intending to start yet another war over what is better, I just wanted to drop by to share my experience.

    I've used sublime for pretty much everything since release of version 2, then v 3... Not sure how many years that is, but seems like forever. I always liked minimalistic approach to an editor and I got worked up about how fast the editor would start (im sure im not alone).

    A couple of days ago, I revived one of my old JS projects and had to do a clean up, refactor... As I started doing my usual mass find and replace drill in sublime, it hit me... Its 2019, is this still the way to do it? So I discovered VS Code and its ability to automatic refactor when moving/renaming file (it auto corrects import paths referenced to and from changed file). Needless to say, it saved me a ton of time. Then I discovered the level of intelligence the auto complete holds .. The knowledge of imported packages contents, documentation, its mind blowing. The editor is made really, really well. Love it.

    Im sure there will be comments welcoming my arrival from the 90s, but to me, it was yet another reminder of how fast tech can advance while we dont pay attention. Hell, even when we do pay attention, its rarely enough. In addition, we tend to get stuck in our patterns and weird things we care about, like startup time of the editor, even though it happens 1-2 per day. Its important to now and then, even though its against "our way", explore what else is out there.

    Not sure where I was going with this, but now its here. Interested to hear your thoughts, maybe I am not aware of something even better?

    submitted by /u/r33ker
    [link] [comments]

    How does your company manage static content for a dynamic web app?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 02:26 AM PDT

    I'm interested to learn how devs from other companies on here manage their static content for a dynamic web application that has high traffic and reliability requirements.

    At the company I currently work for, we have mostly tied static content directly to the code through configuration files. Whenever a department like marketing needed content changed, we had to spend some engineering effort in order to make those changes. Ideally, we want to move to a state where a non-technical department like marketing can freely change static content without being blocked by engineering.

    Our current solution involves using the headless CMS Contentful. However, there seems to be a big gap between intuitive data entry and an optimized data structure that our application code expects. To solve this we've built a complex ETL pipeline that transforms and validates data from Contentful and dumps it somewhere where different services can then pull from.

    I'm wondering if devs from other companies have faced a similar problem and what your solutions were?

    submitted by /u/gitbranch
    [link] [comments]

    Where to find internships and/or junior front-end roles?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 10:12 AM PDT

    Hello!

    Besides ReactiFlux, LinkedIn, AngelList, Indeed, Glassdoor, WayUp, CareerBuilder, Monster, and ZipRecruiter

    where would I be able to find front-end internships and/or junior roles? (SF Bay Area)

    submitted by /u/kennjamin
    [link] [comments]

    3rd Party Account Auth Architecture

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 03:54 PM PDT

    I am working on an app that I want to integrate with other services longterm and am wondering what the best architecture is for authentication. Examples of the pattern I would like to follow is like IFTTT or Google Home when adding smart home device accounts.

    Do they request an access token and refresh token then have a background task to update the refresh token as needed?

    Anybody have experience doing any integrations like this?

    submitted by /u/ksu12
    [link] [comments]

    How you guys upload changes? (ssh?)

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 03:40 PM PDT

    I'm using Vim for small changes but I would love to do it in VScode and upload it to the server.
    I'm using now a bash script to do it but how are you guys doing this?

    static.sh

    #!/bin/bash tar -czvf static.tar.gz static scp -v static.tar.gz example.com:~ rm static.tar.gz ssh example.com << 'ENDSSH' rm -rf static tar -xf static.tar.gz rm static.tar.gz ENDSSH 

    I'm getting sometimes issues with SElinux and need set it up again to serve files from the static folder.

    submitted by /u/distro607
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] Would love your constructive critique on my redesigned personal website

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 03:27 PM PDT

    Hi all, I would absolutely love your constructive critique on my redesigned personal website.

    https://adamgreenough.me/

    Particularly with regards to speed, readability, aesthetic and messaging.

    If you do leave some feedback and would like me to check out your project please add that in also and I will do my best to offer up something constructive also.

    Many thanks! :)

    submitted by /u/xadz
    [link] [comments]

    First time freelancer and the imposter syndrome is real

    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 04:48 PM PDT

    Hey Guys,

    So I got my first paid gig to rebuild a friends website. He runs a local business that does fairly well and his current site is a shopify monstrosity and he wants something custom built. Hes asked me to rebuild it for him and I am slightly overwhelmed.

    I was hoping to list my ideas for the general workflow and get some feedback/gotchas from those of you with more experience than myself.

    So here's what I am thinking:

    Gatsby for the general layout/site pages

    Contentful as the CMS (would BigCommerce be better?)

    Gravity for cc processing (it's what he currently uses)

    Snipcart for the ecommerce portion of the site

    Shopkeep integration for Point of Sale (its what hes currently using)

    My main question is this: 1.Am I missing any major hole here 2. Am I in over my head? Lol

    Thanks for reading through my minor panic attack.

    submitted by /u/somewut_anonymous
    [link] [comments]

    Movie web app made in React/Redux using The Moviedatabase's API

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 03:09 PM PDT

    Node or PHP(Laravel) for a video membership site?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 02:54 PM PDT

    Sorry if this sort of question isn't allowed here

    I'm a CS student and for a fun summer project I wanted to create a site like Skillshare.

    I keep hearing how node isn't good for cpu intensive work. I don't know what that means. I also heard that it's only good for single page simple web applications. Other blogs talk about it like it's the next big thing. I'm so confused how to feel about it.

    I really want to learn and use node because of the job opportunities.

    The videos will be hosted on Amazon s3 and I'll use MongoDB.

    Would Node be a good technology for a video membership site?

    submitted by /u/universearound
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] Personal Portfolio. Looking for feedback on general design + my featured work.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 02:39 PM PDT

    I'm a college student pursuing a bachelors in Computer Information Systems with no classwork in design. Trying to score more freelance design work and/or a remote developer position. Some tips or feedback of what else I need in my portfolio to secure a decent paying job would be awesome.

    Thanks, Ryan

    Designed and developed in Webflow.

    ryanvisek.com

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/golfwithdonald
    [link] [comments]

    i want to get Back Into webdev After a 8 month due to a depression and other mental issues

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 02:27 PM PDT

    Little Story about myself i used to learn & code before a year almost ( front end developer) i made a simple projects (2) but due to issues and losing my hard drive with all my files and codes i stopped .

    now i'm trying to return but it seems like i forgot what i learned before especially js & react and every time I try to return I find myself doubting my every move instead of just executing my plan .

    I'm curious if any here "returned from the dead" and went back to the programming field professionally, and how you managed to structure it? I

    I want to get my shit together but I'm lost. I would appreciate any kind of help or suggestions from you guys.

    should i learn what i forgot again from zero or what ?

    ps : sorry for my bad english

    submitted by /u/MarcoAcrono
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone finished The Complete Web Developer in 2019: Zero to Mastery by Andrei Neagoie? Please share your thoughts on it

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 01:51 PM PDT

    Is it the best full-stcak course out there? Better than Colt Steele's, who i heard is outdated?

    submitted by /u/fut-13
    [link] [comments]

    Why Are CSS Frameworks "Outdated" ?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 01:45 PM PDT

    Recently I've been reading different posts on reddit and elsewhere claiming CSS frameworks are outdated, or suggesting not to use CSS frameworks anymore. I'm having a hard time understanding why that is? I understand that with grid and flexbox things have become a lot easier and quicker in terms of making a site responsive w/ CSS, but don't CSS frameworks still serve an important purpose? It's much faster to add the classes directly into your html/JSX etc than go messing with CSS. So why is it exactly that the general consensus is moving toward the idea that CSS frameworks are outdated/no longer useful, and not to use them? I would say that I know enough CSS to use it in place of frameworks, I'm just genuinely curious why this shift in thought is happening?

    submitted by /u/Tamashe
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment