• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 11, 2019

    r/RoguelikeDev is running a summer dev-along tutorial series

    r/RoguelikeDev is running a summer dev-along tutorial series


    r/RoguelikeDev is running a summer dev-along tutorial series

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 11:22 PM PDT

    Interested in making a traditional turn-based roguelike? Want to do it alongside other devs and beginners with a tutorial? Over at r/roguelikedev we're starting a weekly summer event on June 18th where you can do just that :D

    Check out "RoguelikeDev Does The Complete Roguelike Tutorial" for more info, including the planned schedule.

    submitted by /u/Kyzrati
    [link] [comments]

    Handmade Doom - Day 001

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 08:31 AM PDT

    After reading Game Engine Black Book DOOM, I was curious of how easy it is to build a DOOM clone? Initially I thought it would take just few days, but after working for few weeks it could take a year to complete. I have documented my progress in details capturing screenshots and validating my progress. At the moment there is over a dozen tutorial I have created which I will be releasing them on weekly bases after they get reviewed by /u/DOOMReboot

    The tutorial will be aimed at someone with programming knowledge, but seeking to break the fear of knowing how things work.

    https://github.com/amroibrahim/HandmadeDoom

    Day 001 covers how to read the WAD file, and how to list all directories in the WAD. For next week we will focus on Basic Map Data.

    Thanks to

    /u/DOOMReboot (for encouragement and time invested in reviewing code and articles)

    /u/famastefano , /u/shadowndacorner (for recommending the branching)

    Aleksander Shrayner (for reporting spelling mistakes)

    Special Thanks to

    Fabien Sanglard, who has helped a lot of people with all his articles and knowledge!

    submitted by /u/AngryCPPCoder
    [link] [comments]

    Google Bans Unity App Due to AliPay SDK

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 10:00 AM PDT

    Favorite podcast for game dev?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 09:29 PM PDT

    "Game Maker's Notebook" for game industry interviews and stories
    "How I Built This" and "Masters of Scale" for business stories and grit
    "Tony Robbin's Podcast" for motivation
    "TWiT" for general tech news and consumer zeitgeist
    "This Week in Games" is a podcast I record and forces me to stay up to date on industry business news

    submitted by /u/emcconnell11
    [link] [comments]

    A deep dive on some UE4 techniques and workflows we use on Dreamscaper

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 10:43 AM PDT

    Sharing this 3D Model of a nice wall for any of you GameDevs to use in your Projects! (Downloadable)

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 03:11 AM PDT

    An another 3d model created by photogrammetry. I'm still working on bigger pack of fruits/vegetables and a tutorial.

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 10:53 AM PDT

    How to create fire in the Godot Engine - Link to full video in comments!

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 10:33 AM PDT

    Hiring Gameplay & Network Programmer - Unreal Engine

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 07:30 AM PDT

    Project name

    TBA

    Project Description

    The project is a 3D Multiplayer Tabletop RPG game containing all of your classic board games. Games such as Chess and Ludo designed into an RPG environment. The boards are turned into environments and the pawns are turned into animated characters. Enjoy your classic board games with a modern look. The game is made in Unreal Engine.

    Roles Required

    - 1 gameplay programmer

    - 1 network programmer (Multiplayer)

    If you're able to do both and are fairly good at it, we might just need 1 programmer.

    Team size

    16

    Project length

    We have already finished the art for the game, so the project length depends on how long it takes you to program the game. I imagine 2-3 months or less but this is to be discussed.

    Compensation ($)

    This will be discussed in private but do not expect high payments like in professional studios. We are an indie game company and this is our first project.

    Your tasks

    - You will be working with the Steam API.

    - Gameplay programming. Some of the elements would be UI implementation, character animation blueprints stitched together, ranking reward system, coins reward system, matchmaking queue, board game programming such as chess or ludo. WITHOUT AI.

    - Network Programming. You will be responsible for making the game in multiplayer.

    Contact

    If you're interested in the project, you can PM me or text me on Discord. My ID is Nafei#9413

    Main Menu (WIP):

    https://i.redd.it/jqr4jdkkmq331.png

    Chess map with some characters (WIP):

    https://i.redd.it/79ex8rclmq331.png

    submitted by /u/Nafei93
    [link] [comments]

    My endorsment for Woovit

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 05:52 AM PDT

    It will be a quick post. I'm an indie developer and, well, there is this old problem with sorting out who of the You Tubers that contact you are valid who just want to steal your precious Steam keys to resell on some shady websited. So, I tried various key distribution services, all of them had the same problem, not enough validation and therefore majority of the people who send you requests being scammers.

    But then I stumbled upon Woovit and, whoa! They operate on a completelly opposite principle than KeyMailer let's say. First, you create campaign (set up a game, add keys, set rules) and then... you let it run. No approving keys and so on, all automatic. Just one upfront time investment and you can forget about it, it runs on auto pilot from now on and you can focus on making your next game.

    What's best is that there is this rule that each person (YouTuber/Steamer/etc) can request up to 3 keys (total) and the keys quota is replenished only after delivering a video about that game. Which simply means they can steal at maximum 3 keys (total) per account created (and accounts are validated).

    I'm not affiliated with Woovit in any way, I'm just a developer who wish that this platform gets more popular among YouTubers since that would make my life easier :)

    submitted by /u/ChrisKozmik
    [link] [comments]

    I want to help design games, but I have no idea where to start. Help?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 11:19 AM PDT

    The title is tl:dr

    Since I was a kid I have loved computers and seeing how they work. Problem is I never knew how to teach myself about them until recently. If I'm being honest, more than anything, I want to program computers. Theres something exciting about lifting the veil and seeing what makes a computer or a program do what it's supposed to. I am currently enrolled in a online class through teamtreehouse.com, but I'm not sure its teaching me anything that I need to know. Can anyone give me a starting stone? I want to break into this world so bad...I just dont know where to find the door.

    submitted by /u/Chad_bishop
    [link] [comments]

    A guide to hiring an artist for your game

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 05:20 PM PDT

    I recently hired an artist to do some sprites for the game I'm working on and I made a video about my experience. It was my first time paying someone to do work for me and it was a great learning experience !

    I talk about looking up information on what to put in a contract to what kind of things I needed to prepare ahead of time and of course how much pixelart costs for a poor solo indie dev !

    I hope it can be useful for many others : https://youtu.be/LI-ek5w_ABM

    submitted by /u/Ombarus
    [link] [comments]

    How common is it for publishers to approach you?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 03:47 AM PDT

    I've had a couple publishers approach me but I'm not sure how to respond.

    I have been working on my game for about 7 months and I have a demo on itch which is where they found me.

    I'm wondering if they just contact a lot of game devs hoping that some will answer positively or if they actually care about the games. I've looked at their website / social media / info etc and they seem legit.

    Also, I'm just a solodev and I was planning on self publishing. Do you have any experience or insight on working with a publisher vs self publishing in that situation?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/thomasgvd
    [link] [comments]

    Game Developer Feedback - Mobile eSports SDK

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 11:34 AM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    I am on a team that is building a developer-focused mobile eSports SDK to activate eSports functionality into new or exiting mobile game. Our goal is to increase player engagement and unlock an extra revenue steams for game devs/studios. As we build our product, we are gathering feedback from mobile game developers on our current product/design. If any of you have experience developing mobile games for iOS or Android and are interested in hearing more about our product and providing some quick feedback please send me a message.

    submitted by /u/matt_flashgaming
    [link] [comments]

    Back to the Origin - A look at object bounds and floating point precision

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 07:17 AM PDT

    How to integrate the AWS .NET SDK for games using C#

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 11:00 AM PDT

    How to build and integrate the AWS SDK for C++ games on Windows

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 11:00 AM PDT

    Sharing 3d render PS1 vibes, testing animations for joker

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 06:33 PM PDT

    What to do when your tired of working on the same project?

    Posted: 10 Jun 2019 08:43 PM PDT

    I have been working on a game for about a month or so after work and occasionally on the weekends, I would say I'm about 50% complete with the base game play and I'm just so tired of working on it I want to stop and work on another project for a little bit. Does anyone else get exhausted when working on the same thing? Does anyone else work best when bouncing between two projects or am I just lacking discipline? I have included for reference a current demo of my game which is FAR from finished.

    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GCUDkhkfNlkAE4AlALBqVX8cKxwPwaU0

    Ill include a basic concept of the final game

    https://i.redd.it/jjbzznl6dn331.png

    submitted by /u/mrnotcrazy
    [link] [comments]

    Tips on indie marketing?

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 10:35 AM PDT

    I make some mobile games in my freetime but I never get a lot of downloads. On the one hand I never do any marketing so I shouldn't expect to generate downloads, on the other hand I think if the game was good enough it would become popular without marketing. Any tips or thoughts and experiences are appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Zombiefied7
    [link] [comments]

    How I Finished a Full Game Without Knowing a Thing About Art

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 06:26 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    TL;DR - art is art.. we all can kinda do it :)

    Im a programmer, last year I started messing around with creating small mobile games cos I love gaming and I love programming so it was a natural combo.

    First game was a pixel endless space shooter which I drew all with a mouse. It looked horrible but was so much fun to make!

    So, I did some changes to it and this time bought a graphic pack because I know nothing about art and wanted it to look professional. Well it looked exactly like a game with a $40 dollar graphic pack.. bad. And worse then that - boring. Next I created a tower defense game (cos I love those).

    Again, I found a "full" art package for 40ish bucks. It looked bad and I was so frustrated because I wanted to change stuff and add things graphics but couldn't - cos I know nothing about art.

    Up until then I was publishing on Facebooks Instant Games platform

    It was time to get real, I wanted to put a game to the mobile stores. And this time, I decided to draw everything myself by hand! Really wanted to learn drawing and figured there is no better "get my hand dirty" then create the art for a full game. Also Ill have the freedom to do what ever I want.

    The idea was to make it as simple as possible, like if it was drawn by a child. I created all the animations and the art for 2 months and used my tower defense engine to wrap a "Sketched Tower Defense Game"

    The freedom of creativity during the development was AMAZING! Any silly stupid idea immediately gets sketched, animated, and inserted to the game to get its own life.. I had a blast developing this and learned a ton about animation, digital art, flows and much much more.

    I actually had to redraw a lot of the stuff I started with because after the first month my style changed so much it was not fitting with the early drawings

    anyways, though this mite help someone out there

    If you want to check out the result here's the mobile stores link: http://www.sketchwars.stores.shugostudios.com/

    submitted by /u/KittenOfMine
    [link] [comments]

    Which language should I learn and use to make a game? (Python Vs C#)

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 09:54 AM PDT

    All in the title, which one is better for 2D games development, Python or C#?

    Why?

    If I go with C#, should I use unity or are there other engines?

    Can I work with no engine at all?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/theSatiatedAfrican
    [link] [comments]

    I am planning to make a game.

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 05:59 AM PDT

    The thing is I am a noob, know nothing, starting from scratch, in order to make a multiplayer, good graphic, TDM game like old school cod, what language and engine will be the best and what I need to learn?

    Help would be appreciated very much!

    submitted by /u/itchyb3lls
    [link] [comments]

    Dumb Question but,...

    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 09:44 AM PDT

    Is it possible to make a game in which you can walk/fly/drive in the real world.Therefore you could use like gmaps stuff and other programmes to analyse the world and make it playable.

    Contact me. I am interested in how you could make it happen or IF you can.

    Discord: IronY#7044

    submitted by /u/LeonSpielt
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment