• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 18, 2019

    Programming Book Bundle - Java/C#, Javascript, Python, and More learn programming

    Programming Book Bundle - Java/C#, Javascript, Python, and More learn programming


    Programming Book Bundle - Java/C#, Javascript, Python, and More

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 11:29 AM PDT

    I'm not sure if these are good books but the $1 bundle seems like a steal. You can easily put these books on your Kindle and code into the sunset.

    https://www.humblebundle.com/books/programming-packt-books?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_2

    submitted by /u/tylerslemke
    [link] [comments]

    It feels like no one in programming knows anything.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 06:59 PM PDT

    I just see my friends copying and pasting code from online, but no one really understands it except for those hella smart coding geniuses. I hate the feeling of not understanding stuff and taking everyone's word as gospel truth.

    submitted by /u/vitthalrao1
    [link] [comments]

    I've created a curated list of beginner resources

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 03:27 PM PDT

    A few years ago, I've created a list of good beginner resources, for people who want to get started with programming. Unfortunately, that site is no longer online, so I decided to create a new list!

    The current list is here: https://www.jworks.io/programming-getting-started-ultimate-list/

    I still need to update a few of the resources, I'm trying to focus on (mostly) free resources, and some of them are paid (but worth it)

    Any feedback more than welcome, and while I know it's impossible to capture all resources, if I'm missing something very obvious, let me know, and I'll add it!

    submitted by /u/bodiam
    [link] [comments]

    What the heck are pointers???

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 08:23 AM PDT

    I'm a self taught programmer, learned js.processing from Khan academy, went to java, to python, c++, I thought I was adept, I can do arrays, for/while loops, functions, classes, and bit shifts. So I thought I had this stuff down but come then cgp grey uses the word "pointers" and my confidence is shaken what are these, they don't make any sense?

    Tldr: I thought I knew a lot about coding, but I saw a pointer and I don't know what it does

    submitted by /u/3nigma42
    [link] [comments]

    I simply don't get assembly programming. What can I do?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 01:22 PM PDT

    I have a lot of trouble understanding assembly programming. I feel horrible because I feel as if I'm incapable. I'm currently using the Netwide Assembler. My processor is an Intel processor and my architecture is x86-64. What can I do to get better at it?

    submitted by /u/LiamTheProgrammer
    [link] [comments]

    Is web development the right field for me? I'm about to start a very highly rated, but expensive bootcamp and I don't want to waste time and money if this isn't a good idea.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 01:06 PM PDT

    I just had a long talk with my girlfriend about our financial future and what we want out of life, and while she and I are on the same page, what I've read on here and on Medium doesn't always line up. The bootcamp I'm signed up for is one of Hack Reactor's satellite programs, and has a 99% placement rate for graduates (the 1% are two students who went to graduate school following the bootcamp instead of getting a job). The total cost is around $10k, which is more money than I've ever seen in one place but thankfully there are low interest loans available.

    The bootcamp is structured in segments that you have to test into. The first is free, and if you can pass the exam at the end of it you get into the second, which costs around $900. If you can past the second exam (which is based on the famous 'Hack Reactor entry exam' and supposed to weed out people that aren't meant to be programmers) you get into the third segment, which costs around $10k and consists of working 9am-6pm, six days a week, for about four months. (I think the total time spent at the bootcamp is supposed to be around 950 hours).

    I have a Bachelors degree from about six years ago in Information Science, which is like a combination of IT and Library Science (no math or programming classes) and since then I've been working Desktop Support jobs. I always wanted to be an artist or a Librarian but my folks said no way, so I went for the mixed degree. I've always had more of the 'creative hustler' personality than the 'analytical engineer', but the latter tends to pay more. I've done Codecademy and the bootcamp had me do the HTML/CSS/Javascript part of Freecodecamp before starting part one. When I was a kid I was really into GIS/GPS/integrating Openmaps into websites, and making my own myspace themes. I'm not all that interested in the theory part of CS, I'm much more interested in making something beautiful and user friendly so the client is happy with it. When I was younger I made websites on platforms like Angelfire and Geocities all the time, and it was always enjoyable because I saw it as more of a creative project than a mathematical one.

    With the jobs I've had in the past few years, I'm sick of being called at all hours of the night, being on the hook to pay for thousands of dollars in certs on my own dime, and constantly feeling burned out. I'm sick of coming home every night to browse Reddit 6+ hours per night for more information about my career. I'd rather come home and go fishing, or throw some burgers on the grill, and not think about work until the next time I'm there.

    I want a low stress job where I can show up on time, bust ass for eight hours, come home, and not have to worry about the job until my alarm goes off the next morning. In an ideal world I'd like to make around $45k, more would be cool but we can live extremely comfortably on $45k. I'd settle for $38k+ if they cover health insurance. I'm open to working in literally any stack. Don't get me wrong, I'm a hard worker, but only so long as I'm on the clock.

    The issue I'm having is, she and I have read all these articles on Medium and posts on this sub and also r/ITCareerQuestions, that basically amount to "in order to find work in this field you have to have graduated from a top ten school, grind leetcode until your eyes are bleeding, always be better than your coworkers at every technology in your stack, and be able to work from home off the clock". She knows me and the kind of person I am, and I'd probably have an actual heart attack under those kinds of working conditions. We see all these people on these subs who come on here in tears saying they can't find a job because they didn't graduate from Stanford and don't understand a specific algorithm they probably won't ever use.

    Is web development as stressful as this r/cscareerquestions makes it sound, or could someone like me do well in it?

    submitted by /u/WITCH_KING_XXYBORG
    [link] [comments]

    Do you guys sometimes not feel like working on your personal projects? If that's that case what do you do to overcome it?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 10:02 AM PDT

    Sometimes I just don't feel like working on my personal projects. I don't even know how to describe the feeling. It's like you want to work on your projects but the moment you start it's like you have zero energy. Once you stop to do something else your energy all of a sudden is normal again. Try to go back to your project again your energy is zero again.

    Sometimes I don't want to even sit in front of the computer to write code at all. When I force myself, after like 5 minutes I don't want to continue. It's like my brain all of a sudden is controlling my physical state.
    I somewhat have motivation, the only problem is serious lack of energy and feel what's even the point.

    I've pretty much tried my best to put how I feel in words. I don't always feel like this but I hate it when I feel this way sometimes.

    Do any of you guys feel this way sometimes? If that's that case what do you do to overcome this feeling.

    submitted by /u/claOnline
    [link] [comments]

    Got hired as an intern to build a Django web app and host it on a LAN, how do I host it on a LAN?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 06:08 PM PDT

    I'm an intern for a company where no one knows anything about web dev (honestly i'm pretty incompetent myself), and I made a small little web app for the employees to use to streamline some repetitive tasks. However, i'm unsure about the best way to host this on their LAN. Here's how it's going to be used:

    1) It's going to be hosted on the office's LAN and there might be 30 or 40 people accessing it at any one point (this is the high end).

    2) There is a separate office location that will probably access it from time to time, so I will have to open up a port on the router and forward it to the web server to handle outside requests for the website.

    I pretty confident I wont have an issue with port forwarding, IP restriction, and making sure the authentication is secure. What I don't know is how to actually run the web server. On my computer I just type

    $ python manage.py runserver 

    and it runs. Is it the same thing if they have a centralized computer on the LAN? I know of Apache, nginx, and gunicorn, but I'm not familiar with how to implement them.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/RugerHD
    [link] [comments]

    My nodejs webserver randomly stops taking requests and i don't know why

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 07:23 PM PDT

    I'm trying to handle post requests to get a list of well listings and put them on a web page, it works perfectly except for a small problem of the fact that my program will every once in a while it will stop receiving post requests. I have the important parts of the code aka the parts that are running. I currently test it using ngrok but the live version is on port 80 of my friends server. Also any other things that should be changed let me know, i'm fairly new to nodejs and webserver stuff. Thanks!

    //--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------// // code to listen for requests const express = require('express'); const bodyParser = require('body-parser') const app = express(); app.use(express.static(__dirname + '/frontend')); app.use(bodyParser.urlencoded({ extended: false })); app.use(bodyParser.json()); app.post('/allList', (req, res) => { let toSend = allListings() .then(toSend => { res.json(toSend); }) .catch(err => { res.end(`"success": false, "data": "a fata error has occured"`); console.log(err); }); }); app.listen(8058, () => console.log("listening on port 8058")); //--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------// // pooling connection to database settings const { Pool } = require('pg') const pool = new Pool({ user: "backend", password: null, host: "localhost", port: 5432, database: "MA" }); //--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------// // function for getting a value of a row from a query that returns a json function getJSON(_column, _table, _row) { return JSON.parse(JSON.stringify(_table.rows[_row]))[_column]; } //--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------// // get all the listings to display async function allListings() { // connects a client to the pooling const client = await pool.connect(); // query all listings _results = await client.query({ text: "select post_id, title, description from listings where deleted = false", }); // gets the number of listings to go through var _id = await client.query({ text: "select count(post_id) from listings where deleted = false" }); // adds each row/listing to a new JSON to be sent back var _count = Number(getJSON('count', _id, 0)); let _jString = []; if (_count > 0) { for (let i = 0; i != _count; i++) { _jString.push({ post_id: getJSON("post_id", _results, i), title: getJSON("title", _results, i), desc: getJSON("description", _results, i) }); } return { success: true, data: _jString }; } else { return { success: false, data: "no listings available" }; } } 
    submitted by /u/_Xellus
    [link] [comments]

    For those who didn't study CS in school, How did you land your first job/interview as web (front/end/full) developer?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 09:00 PM PDT

    I am curious on what people did to land their first job as dev, things like specific projects, knowledge, job hunting technique...and etc.

    I am thinking about doing a few CRUD projects..besides that, I am lost.

    How is the demand in Canada for front/end/full dev?

    Please advise, thank you :)

    submitted by /u/Maxanmin
    [link] [comments]

    Web app for creating newsletters

    Posted: 18 Jun 2019 12:01 AM PDT

    Hello!

    A company I'm currently working at is using just a Notepad++ in a combination with recycling older newsletters to create new ones. It's hard orientate in the code most of the times and it's overly frustrating, not mentioning you have to check it multiple times.

    I've got an idea to create some sort of a web app, where you'll have basic look of the template (footer, icons, colors, etc.) and you'd be just able to, for example with drag'n'drop, put the HTML elements you need in it. Big banner, small banner, lits of products, and so on. Plus you'd be able to edit the properties of these elements (title, alt, URL). Also global UTM... You get it.

    The thing is I'm more of a webdesigner myself, not a programmer nor back-end developer. But I'm willing to learn. How long do you think it'd take someone to create something like this? Where should I start? Or what'd be the price if someone else created it?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Haxedus
    [link] [comments]

    Constraint headers format in CHR (Constraint Handling Rules)

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 11:56 PM PDT

    I'm new to CHR and I was wondering if it makes sense to have have functions as arguments for constraint heads in a rule. I know that in the body of the rule this is possible.

    E.g. Is C(X-Y) legal here?

    C(X), C(X-Y), C(Y) => C(X * Y) 
    submitted by /u/jackmalkovick
    [link] [comments]

    2 different learning sources needed

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 11:52 PM PDT

    One for digital signal processing, another for Matlab

    submitted by /u/mrbrown4001
    [link] [comments]

    June 20, Hadley Wickham Talks "The Joy of Functional Programming (for Data Science)"

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 08:23 AM PDT

    Need help with a "RaiseEvent" function in Photon Unity Networking!

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 11:44 PM PDT

    I am trying to use a "Raise Event" to update a text box on all screens from the master client. object[] content = new object[] { (questionText, answer }; is populating properly as far as I can tell, when I break point and check the array has everything in it I intended. When I break point and check object[] data = (object[])photonEvent.CustomData; it is null.

    Any ideas?

    public void PopulateQuestionEvent()
    {
    GenerateChallengeQuestion();
    object[] content = new object[] { (questionText, answer };
    RaiseEventOptions raiseEventOptions = new RaiseEventOptions { Receivers = ReceiverGroup.All };
    SendOptions sendOptions = new SendOptions { Reliability = true };
    PhotonNetwork.RaiseEvent(mathQuestionEvent, content, raiseEventOptions, sendOptions);
    }

    public void OnEvent(EventData photonEvent)
    {
    print("Event received");
    byte eventCode = photonEvent.Code;

    if (eventCode == mathQuestionEvent)
    {
    object[] data = (object[])photonEvent.CustomData;
    questionText = data[0].ToString();
    answer = (int)data[1];
    StartCoroutine(ShowQuestion(data[0].ToString()));
    }
    }

    submitted by /u/michael0collins
    [link] [comments]

    Google summer of code and opportunities

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 11:42 PM PDT

    I was wondering what people thought about google's summer of code program and also if there are other programs similar to it? I thought microsoft had something similar but i can't recall what it was now. Feel free to state other opportunities similar to google's summer of code, I found it to be very interesting

    submitted by /u/TheDonVancity
    [link] [comments]

    [Windows/c++] securing access to pipe server and client

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 11:40 PM PDT

    I have the server that starts the client using CreateProcess. Then, I create a named pipe using CreateNamedPipe.

    The client then calls CreateFile to connect to the pipe.

    I want to ensure that only clients launched by the logon SID) can connect to the named pipe. How can I create the SECURITY_ATTRIBUTE that is set to the SID so that I can pass it to the functions? So basically, how do I do the thing below?

    To prevent remote users or users on a different terminal services session from accessing a named pipe, use the logon SID on the DACL for the pipe. The logon SID is used in run-as logons as well; it is the SID used to protect the per-session object namespace. For more information, see Getting the Logon SID in C++. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/ipc/named-pipe-security-and-access-rights

    submitted by /u/silentcon
    [link] [comments]

    Program which looks at reddit for keywords

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 11:33 PM PDT

    Hello. I been teaching myself to code for a bit now and I'm trying to think of interesting projects to try to do to practice programming. I think it would fun to try to make something that looks for country names/keywords in titles in reddit forums. For example, if you wanted to see how many times Norway has appeared in post titles in r/worldnews in a certain range of dates, the program would output an int of how many times it appeared. Problem is i have no idea where to start with something like that so im hoping I can get a nudge in the right direction. Topics to look up, tutorials, posts to read, anything will help! Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Yummy275
    [link] [comments]

    One algorithm or go one by one

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 11:28 PM PDT

    Hey, I am interested in making a math app. All I need from you is just to tell me how to think...

    I want the app to display and solve different kinds of math problems. For example I want it to be able to do simple addition, substraction, etc. but at the same time solve equations or functions.

    Question: Should I make one algorithm for solving different kinds of math problems or should I go through each math problem one by one?

    submitted by /u/Hizrok
    [link] [comments]

    anybody here done the stanford algorithm design and analysis course ?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 09:30 AM PDT

    i just did the problem set 1 and got 3/5.

    and used up all my attempts, so it doesn't seem like i can get a retry.

    what i want to know is do these have an effect on your final passing grade ?

    submitted by /u/Eufrasia_
    [link] [comments]

    How could I push my projects past the educational level?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 11:23 PM PDT

    I read the FAQ, but the relevant replies were more geared towards pure beginners so I'm asking here.

    I am going to be a junior next year and am majoring in CS. I've been programming since I was 16 and am very passionate about it. Most of my knowledge comes from self-learning various topics online. For instance, I can comfortably make a web application with Rails, create a decent game with Unity, construct a C++ GUI application with Qt, or build a simple machine learning model with Python libraries. However, I feel like all of these things I am creating are mediocre compared to other projects I see. I have the impression that I am mediocre in all of these areas as I cannot produce a project that would actually be professional and valuable in the real world, rather than just being for my own educational purposes. How could I bridge this gap? Thank you for any ideas, opinions, or resources you may have.

    submitted by /u/mazsociety
    [link] [comments]

    Books vs World Wide Web

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 11:07 PM PDT

    Which source is better and more effective to learn web development from? And if you have any book recommendations or know good websites please share.

    submitted by /u/docsportello18
    [link] [comments]

    Udemy and Web Development / Android Development

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 10:56 PM PDT

    Hey there.

    I am college student looking to learn and expand my resume. Is Udemy a good place to do so?

    I found two course that seem interesting and helpful but they are outdated? (Web Development , 2nd Web Development/ Android Development)

    So I go for it, or look elsewhere?

    Any feedback and links to resources would be much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/B-L-O
    [link] [comments]

    Is Colt Steele the best online instructor?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 10:46 PM PDT

    I keep seeing posts about Colt Steele being great on here and other parts of Reddit. Where can I find out more? I don't want to pay money, but if he's really that good I am going to have to pay for his courses. I just want to know exactly what I'm getting myself into before I bite the metaphorical bullet.

    submitted by /u/NastyNiggers2
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment