• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 5, 2019

    Principles of Motion Animated

    Principles of Motion Animated


    Principles of Motion Animated

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 03:23 AM PDT

    450 FREE, HQ SFX (3.9GB) - sci-fi, horror, field recordings, foley and more. Enjoy!

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 05:47 AM PDT

    "I worked at Valve a few years back, and I could write a book about what's wrong there"

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 08:22 PM PDT

    Fast drawing for my game

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 08:43 AM PDT

    Hey guys, here are some trainings. Each picture took around 15-20 min to draw.

    https://i.redd.it/3kh5kyg46k231.jpg

    https://i.redd.it/u18xd9e06k231.jpg

    https://i.redd.it/iuhjk3z85k231.jpg

    submitted by /u/gr8prion
    [link] [comments]

    Growing a subreddit for your game

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 02:17 AM PDT

    This isn't a step that everyone does, but growing a subreddit can be a great way to interact with your community, I love reddit so my games sub is the primary space for it's development. Currently I'm just shy of 1000 subs which I'm quite proud of, but I'd love to discuss growth with others.

    Here's what I've got.

    • The best place to drive growth in my opinion is from other subreddits, it's full of people who are already on reddit so it's easier for them to head over and subscribe
    • Crossposting is also a nice way to link to your subreddit indirectly, posting something relevant to a larger sub but crossposting it so your sub is mentioned
    • Connecting with similar subreddits by exchanging eachothers subs in the sidebar, there's little to lose doing that as people can sub to as many subs as they want!

    What do you guys think? Would love to hear your thoughts.

    Here's my sub for anyone who's curious /r/WarsimRpg

    submitted by /u/Huw2k8
    [link] [comments]

    Choose your fighter :)

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 09:45 AM PDT

    How do I connect player data to a database when they "save" their game? (Pygame, Python 3)

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 10:53 AM PDT

    Hello gamedevs! I'm not very experienced with reddit so I'm using my girlfriend's account. I had asked her for a community to ask questions regarding game development and she recommended this subreddit.

    I am also pretty new to programming. I, along with a group of other students, are developing a game where I want players to be able to save their data. We are looking for the players' data to be stored in a database server (like MySQL). How would I go about doing this, and in general, is it possible?

    Thanks in advance to anybody who answers, and I'll be glad to expand upon any details that need clarifying!

    submitted by /u/keetyk
    [link] [comments]

    If you went to college for game design / development I’d appreciate hearing about your experiences.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 08:30 AM PDT

    I'm currently serving active duty in the Air Force, and have a little over a year left. I took the time to figure out what I wanted to do in the future and narrowed it down to game design. As of right now, I'm stuck at deciding which major to choose, as I see a lot of mixed opinions and results from said colleges. So I'd love to hear your opinions if you did go to a university or technical school for game design / development.

    submitted by /u/Connorj177
    [link] [comments]

    Due to popular request i made a video on how to make a 2D randomly generated city in Unity

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 10:26 AM PDT

    What are your thoughts on protecting your game as an indie dev?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 09:46 AM PDT

    So I have this fear (that I'm assuming other indie devs can relate to) of sharing anything about my game in its early stages out of fear that someone else might take the idea and run with it, maybe even releasing it before I do. There are probably others who feel the same way, but I'm wondering if this fear is a reasonable one to have as a unimportant indie dev with no following. Or is being an unimportant indie dev a key reason to be afraid that your idea could be stolen?

    I'm curious what other devs think of this and what experiences you've all had regarding the stealing/cloning of your games.

    submitted by /u/malakmeee
    [link] [comments]

    animation video, made in Spine2d(animations) + Unity (effects, parallax and camera work)

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 08:28 AM PDT

    Question about publishers

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 04:22 AM PDT

    So I read that other post, but figured I'd just make this it's own thread. I already have a mobild game basically complete and already published on Google play (made with Unity). I was considering trying to get voodoo or ketchapp or someone to publish it, because it's a hyper casual game but I can't really fund the UA. Basically my question(s) is about the contract stuff.

    1. Would I still be able to have my game published myself if they don't like it? (Maybe depends on if they give some input about changes?)

    2. Could I self publish other games in the future if I am accepted?

    3. Open ended, what do you guys think about using publishers?

    submitted by /u/JephDielTech
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone develop solely on a laptop here?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 11:27 AM PDT

    Thought this might be an interesting discussion.

    I work with UE4 for development of work for my phd. Due to having to take work to conferences etc I've invested in a laptop, which has roughly the same performance as my desktop, and I'm considering using it as my main machine and ditching the desktop.

    Does anyone here only use a laptop for development?

    Also, does anyone have some suggestions about how I can use it well as a desktop replacement? I plan on using external monitors and a cooling pad when at home, but wondered if there was any other advice out there!

    submitted by /u/JimmySuicidex
    [link] [comments]

    Game Design Document Critiques

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 10:36 AM PDT

    Hey guys, so recently I have made an attempt at creating a game design document that I could put on my resume. I plan to work on level design documents for this game as well, but I wanted to get some feedback on what I have so far.

    I used the Bioshock game design document as a starting off point, a quick google search should get you the doc.

    Mainly looking for critiques on how professional or industry standard the doc is, though game critiques and ideas are welcome!

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SpsnrNU6GaFMHiSTTNX8SeQYUz2uL7Npq3BL4fGuCsM/edit?usp=sharing

    There's a link to my document and your critiques are much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Hyphy_Rogue
    [link] [comments]

    WIP Wednesday #119 - post away!

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 06:49 AM PDT

    What is WIP Wednesday?

    Share your work-in-progress (WIP) prototype, feature, art, model or work-in-progress game here and get early feedback from, and give early feedback to, other game developers.

    RULES

    • Do promote good feedback and interesting posts, and upvote those who posted it! Also, don't forget to thank the people who took some of their time to write some feedback or encouraging words for you, even if you don't agree with what they said.
    • Do state what kind of feedback you want. We realise this may be hard, but please be as specific as possible so we can help each other best.
    • Do leave feedback to at least 2 other posts. It should be common courtesy, but just for the record: If you post your work and want feedback, give feedback to other people as well.
    • Do NOT post your completed work. This is for work-in-progress only, we want to support each other in early phases (It doesn't have to be pretty!).
    • Do NOT try to promote your game to game devs here, we are not your audience. You may include links to your game's website, social media or devblog for those who are interested, but don't push it; this is not for marketing purposes.

    Remember to use #WIPWednesday on social media for additional feedback and exposure!

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.

    All Previous WIP Wednesdays

    submitted by /u/purebotg
    [link] [comments]

    Roguelike Progression Systems

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 02:45 PM PDT

    How Subnautica Succeeded Without Weapons

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 10:14 AM PDT

    So I applied with VOODOO

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 12:52 AM PDT

    So I applied with VOODOO. I made this little game for them as a test(it is a variety of their Splashy! game). I got rejected on account of being a sloppy programmer(which I am, so I understand).

    However when I asked them if I could publish the game anyway, because I like it and it doesn't look like Splashy! at all (and I honestly think it's way better than theirs), I suddenly got two phone calls in which they made it very clear to me that it's their game and that I couldn't publish it.

    I'm ok with that. I see this as an excercise only. I just wanted to show off my little gem of a game, which will never see the light sadly.

    Edit: Although I do feel intimidated by their demand to not publish it, I must say that they are very very nice people overall AND they helped me clean up and improve my code. I'm not complaining about my contact with VOODOO in any sense. I just feel sad that I cannot publish this game.

    submitted by /u/thevoidcomic
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any reliable C++ library for accessing gyroscopes/accelerometers in controllers?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 09:22 AM PDT

    I'd like to experiment with the mechanics, and potentially even integrate them into Godot, but I can't even begin to find out how to interact with the base hardware: my querying abilities are weak in this instance, hence my getting direct human help.

    Any kind of direction would help. Libraries specific to the Dual Shock 4, joy-cons, and/or Stream controller are fine. I've already got some source code for this nifty program (Joy-Con Toolkit 5.2.0) that lets you mess with joy-cons and set their colors: if that's not a known dead end, I'll start going through it. More generic tools would be great, of course, but anything will be improvement.

    Variations of "access controller gyroscope" have yielded nothing for me on DuckDuckGo. If you have a better idea for how to phrase my searches, I'll try them. I'm willing to wrestle with the complications of hardware support, but damn if I don't know where to start.

    Thanks in advance for any support you can provide! Have a nice day!

    submitted by /u/madamlaunch
    [link] [comments]

    What are some important things that happened to successful indies that made them successful?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 09:12 AM PDT

    Obviously every game has a different path but I'm curious of what people attribute differnet indies success to be it, ads, publisher choice, forum posting, good giffing on reddit.

    What are some important things that happened after the release of your indie games that helped you out?

    submitted by /u/Huw2k8
    [link] [comments]

    Free Tilemap Tool

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 01:31 PM PDT

    Efficient Multiplayer Rendering?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 08:06 AM PDT

    I'm trying to write my own multiplayer game using C. I'm writing the engine and client from scratch, so I'm not using Unity or any other pre-made engine. I'm now at the point where I need to make other players visible to each other, but I can't think of the best way to render this in the client.

    The idea I'm currently on is when a player changes coordinates, the server will send a message to all clients whose players are in visible range of the player that moved that's basically "player N has coordinates (x,y)", but this seems inefficient to message all clients in range every time someone moves. At the same time, I can't think of any other way to do this.

    Are there any good methods for letting clients know about a change in the global map (due to player movement or updating entities such as opening a door) that would require a rendering update? Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/doormcburger
    [link] [comments]

    What’s advice you wish you had?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 08:00 AM PDT

    I'm starting to dive into basics of game development and I was curious to if there was any pointers, advice, or guides you wish you had early into your journey.

    submitted by /u/calihant
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment