• Breaking News

    Saturday, June 1, 2019

    Players' reaction playing our game "Retrograde Arena", A twinstick shooter where bullets can't kill. What are your thoughts?

    Players' reaction playing our game "Retrograde Arena", A twinstick shooter where bullets can't kill. What are your thoughts?


    Players' reaction playing our game "Retrograde Arena", A twinstick shooter where bullets can't kill. What are your thoughts?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 12:22 AM PDT

    raylib 2.5 released!

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 04:17 AM PDT

    https://i.redd.it/ygwwnhq8aq131.png

    After almost one year since latest raylib installment, here it is raylib 2.5.

    raylib is a simple and easy-to-use C library to enjoy videogames programming. Primary intended for education, it has grown in 6 years beyond expectations, becoming a useful library for any kind of multiplatform graphic application development, from games to tools.

    A lot of work has been put on this new version and consequently I decided to bump versioning several digits. The complete list of changes and additions is humungous, details can be found in the CHANGELOG, and here it is a short recap with the highlight improvements.

    • New window management and filesystem functions to query monitor information, deal with clipboard, check directory files info and even launch a URL with default system web browser. Experimental High-DPI monitor support has also been added through a compile flag.

    • Redesigned Gamepad mechanism, now generic for all platforms and gamepads, no more specific gamepad configurations. Redesigned UWP input system, now raylib supports UWP seamlessly, previous implementation required a custom input system implemented in user code.

    • rlgl module has been redesigned to support a unique buffer for shapes drawing batching, including LINES, TRIANGLES, QUADS in the same indexed buffer, also added support for multi-buffering if required. Additionally, rlPushMatrix()/rlPopMatrix() functionality has been reviewed to behave exactly like OpenGL 1.1, models_rlgl_solar_system example has been added to illustrate this behaviour.

    https://i.redd.it/0lchsf3faq131.gif

    • VR simulator has been reviewed to allow custom configuration of Head-Mounted-Device parameters and distortion shader, core_vr_simulator has been properly adapted to showcase this new functionality, now the VR simulator is a generic configurable stereo rendering system that allows any VR device simulation with just a few lines of code or even dynamic tweaking of HMD parameters.

    https://i.redd.it/hqrxj72paq131.gif

    • Support for Unicode text drawing; now raylib processes UTF8 strings on drawing, supporting Unicode codepoints, allowing rendering mostly any existent language (as long as the font with the glyphs is provided). An amazing example showing this feature has also been added: text_unicode.

    https://i.redd.it/5vhjje9qaq131.gif

    • Brand new text management API, with the addition of multiple functions to deal with string data, including functionality like replace, insert, join, split, append, to uppercase, to lower... Note that most of those functions are intended for text management on rendering, using pre-loaded internal buffers, avoiding new memory allocation that user should free manually.

    https://i.redd.it/7dvnki2saq131.png

    • Multiple new shapes and textures drawing functions to support rings (DrawRing(), DrawRingLines()), circle sectors (DrawCircleSector(), DrawCircleSectorLines()), rounded rectangles (DrawRectangleRounded(), DrawRectangleRoundedLines()) and also n-patch textures (DrawTextureNPatch()), detailed examples have been added to illustrate all this new functionality.

    https://i.redd.it/u1ls123waq131.gif

    • Experimental cubemap support, to automatically load multiple cubemap layouts (LoadTextureCubemap()). It required some internal rlgl redesign to allow cubemap textures.

    • Skeletal animation support for 3d models, this addition implied a redesign of Model data structure to accomodate multiple mesh/multiple materials support and bones information. Multiple models functions have been reviewed and added on this process, also glTF models loading support has been added.

    https://i.redd.it/k740gf5yaq131.gif

    This is a just a brief list with some of the changes of the new raylib 2.5 but there is way more, about 70 new functions have been added and several subsystems have been redesigned. More than 30 new examples have been created to show the new functionalities and better illustrate already available ones.

    It has been a long year of hard work to make raylib a solid technology to develop new products over it.

    Hope you enjoy the new raylib 2.5! Feedback is welcome! :)

    submitted by /u/raysan5
    [link] [comments]

    Unravel: Using Empathy as a Game Mechanic

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 08:04 AM PDT

    Do you load a whole town/dungeon as one scene, or a new scene for every room?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 01:24 PM PDT

    Working on a 2D JRPG in Unity, and we're wondering if we should load every new room (ever house in a town, ever basement level of a dungeon) as a separate scene in Unity, or whether we should load the whole thing as one big map that you just teleport around, ala old SNES JRPGs. Or is there a best practice for mixing the two?

    submitted by /u/EveryLittleDetail
    [link] [comments]

    Favorite Dialogue UI for Story Telling? (2D RPG)

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 12:22 PM PDT

    I'm in the midst of semi-text-heavy 2D RPG and I'm having trouble decided between a bubble dialogue UI (FF9) or writing a flat box on the screen (StarDew Valley)

    FF9 Bubble Example: FF9

    StarDew Valley Flat Box Example: StarDew

    One of my favorite bubble systems: Golf Story

    I also really liked FF15 Flat Box minimalist style: FF15

    So, what kind of dialogue UI do you prefer? (any favorite examples would be helpful too!)

    submitted by /u/Goache
    [link] [comments]

    GDC - Things I Wished I knew Prior to Becoming an Art Director

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 08:14 AM PDT

    How do game devs automate testing?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 01:28 PM PDT

    I'm a web developer and I've never built a game but I was wondering how do game devs and qa people automate testing?

    Are there tools similar to mocha, chai, or PuppeteerJs/NightmareJs only instead of using a browser they run on the game console?

    Example if I was using puppeteer or Nightmare ``` describe('Menu', function () { let xbox;

    before (async function () { xbox = await game.newGame(); await xbox.goto('http://localhost:3000'); });

    after (async function () { await xbox.close(); })

    it('title screen should display', async function () { expect( await xbox.title() ).to.eql('Game Title'); });

    it('menu should load to welcome', async function () { expect( await xbox.menu() // press the start button .click(_startBtn) .screenshot() ).to.eql('Welcome'); });

    }); ```

    submitted by /u/HansWebDev
    [link] [comments]

    Feedback on new logo for RTS game

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 09:58 AM PDT

    Hello, I'm working on my first game and I'm designing a new logo with the help of a designer and need some external help. Logos: https://imgur.com/a/k52olMn

    The logo is for a real time strategy game for PC.

    Do you have any feedback?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Claudio_A
    [link] [comments]

    What would you recommend this 20 year old boy with an enormous will to achieve his goal?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 02:41 PM PDT

    Always wanted to create a game, but never spend the necessary time because I don't have. I did create some garbage back then but obviously never published it, still proud, but would prefer being prouder. I once heard "work smarter, not harder", and that's what I drive by now a days. I have some pretty good ideas for addictive, casual, arcade games like Color Switch and Crossy road (I'm giving names to give you an image of what I have in mind, not exactly what I want to develop) but I lack of programming skills (I just know the basics and kind of how things work, but no language at all) and a big amount of free hours. The garbage I created a while ago was made with Construct 2, free version (and as you can imagine couldn't publish it and was restricted to a very tiny amount of "code lines". What I am asking for is: What engine would you recommend I use? As I mentioned, I don't need the most powerful one out there, just one that works fine, has almost every function, has an acceptable community in case I need help, and most importantly, codeless or almost codeless.

    submitted by /u/JohnnyBeGood88
    [link] [comments]

    Possible to find reasonably priced music for game?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 11:47 AM PDT

    Maybe this has been answered before, but im looking to buy song licenses for a game im making. Im not talking about 8bit chiptunes or low quality stuff etc, Im looking for proper bands, producers... rock and electronic music that is reasonably well made.

    I am pretty sure trying to get any music from a record company is unbelievably expensive, but is there a good place to look for music from people who are unsigned and negotiate for a reasonable price per song, something that a solo indie dev can afford? Maybe something like soundcloud? what are the best practices in doing this too. Thanks

    submitted by /u/Abra_96
    [link] [comments]

    Good MIDI Software for 90s-esque Music?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 08:51 AM PDT

    I'm looking for some MIDI software that could reproduce similar music as in titles like Ocarina of Time and Daggerfall, or pretty much any RPG from the 90s. I've been using Aria Maestosa, but the terms of use state the music can't be used commercially. What are some MIDI programs the rest of you recommend?

    submitted by /u/Nacinan
    [link] [comments]

    Are the things on UnityList okay to use commercially?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 07:13 AM PDT

    I don't want to infringe on anyone's rights. How can you find out what each project's license is?

    submitted by /u/linkgamedev
    [link] [comments]

    I have had issues with ADHD and programming for a very long time. I found things like RPG Maker to really help my ADHD a lot but is there something a bit more complex for example to make a 2D space game or even 3D with tons of programming knowledge?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 02:32 PM PDT

    So long story short ADHD is a bitch. I can super focus a long time say even 3 weeks none stop and then I got into depression mode and flips back on normally doing another activity.

    I found engines like RPG Maker it helps a lot because I can focus on one aspect then another and another and rinse and repeat overtime.

    My only issue is it's been hard to grasp a programming language. I will do some tutorials learn to make a few simple things and in a month lose all that knowledge and in fact lose it almost instantly in a sense I would have to look up everything I did line by line.

    This has pretty much made me learn / copy/paste most my work and edit over and over because of this.

    So I'm really Interested in making myself even for myself and for friends down the road a Sandbox 2D space game. I think 2D is better then 3D because you don't need more then a flat texture / sprite and even I can make those where say a 2D Zelda game would actually be harder and I would even consider 3D lol.

    Anyways I don't know if anything exists out there. The Best part of RPG Maker is mostly the fact there is 1000's of scripts and guides, etc. I tried Unity and such but found it way too complex to make something more basic in a sense. I want something helps do some the most basic things for you to start with.

    submitted by /u/PaperySinkhole
    [link] [comments]

    To use particles or shaders when implementing rain

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 08:25 AM PDT

    I've come to realize that there seems to be an overlap between shaders and particles. Both can do the same task, like implementing rain. So I'm wondering what are the pros and cons between each when implementing rain. What technique do most people use and why?

    submitted by /u/SgtPicklez
    [link] [comments]

    Are we safe to mention our game is an nod to another game?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 02:14 PM PDT

    Hello!

    Me and a few of my friends grew up playing games within the Stronghold Series and we still play the older Stronghold games quite often. However, the reason we play the older games and not the new ones is due to the fact that the developers or publishers "lost their way" with their recent titles and removed a lot of features that defined the series and also introduced a large focus on micro transactions for some of their more recent additions to the series.

    So, throughout the years we kept on saying things like "Man I wish X was changed" or "Why does Y do that". The game in question (Stronghold Crusader) is a brilliant game and is often regarded as one of the best and most in depth RTS games ever made. However, it's dated technology shows with it's rather small population limit (200 or so) and its predictable AI . However, mentioning the AI is part of the charm because the game has A LOT of AI players you can choose from which each have their own strengths and weaknesses. The problem lies within that their strengths and weaknesses are readily apparent in the first couple minutes of the match.

    We want to basically re-create Stronghold: Crusader with some extra features and we will be selling it on Steam, GOG and Humble Bundle. The game is coming along just fine but it's getting close to that point where we are considering showing off the game and it's mechanics. We are adding a ton of new buildings and units to the game that weren't present in Stronghold and we are adding loads of new features (A playable FPS mode where you are the king for example) so this isn't a clone of the game in any way.

    I would just like to know if we are legally safe to mention things like its a faithful nod to the stronghold series or its a re-imagining of stronghold.

    submitted by /u/tavichh
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice on how to proceed with my game

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 09:22 AM PDT

    Hi reddit!

    I've recently launched my first game on Google Play. It was a huge milestone for me and I worked for several years on this one project. I even quit my first real software dev job, because they didn't allow me to work on my game in my free-time. Everybody was cheering me on and complimenting me for going my own way except for my dad, who is still anxious that I'll never earn money in my life ever.

    Now, I find myself in a situation where people tell me that my game looks really cool and interesting, but nobody actually installs it. People who told me that they're super interested in becoming a tester played the game maybe once or twice and then never again. It's probably due to the fact that it's a logic based puzzle game and you actually need to get more skilled in the game to have more fun. I have tried several approaches to design the difficulty level of the game and I was never able to really satisfy the people, who played the game.

    At this point, I am not sure what to do with the game any more. Because I get all kinds of different feedback from people, because I don't have a clear idea of my target group. But, I don't know how to get more people to play my game except for investing massive amounts of dollars into marketing. I don't have said amounts of money to create a player-base.

    My game has 13 active installs, from which 13 people are friends/family/test devices or people, who worked on the game at some point. The only guy, who logs into the game from time to time without me asking him to do it is my girlfriend's dad. He seems to actually enjoy the game.

    What would you guys recommend me to do at this point?

    *edit here's the link: seems like links to a store are not liked here. You can search for "Skull Flip!" on google play. It's aztec themed.

    submitted by /u/ph4ntomz
    [link] [comments]

    Working on a retro themed Mech game, called Iron Judgement. Here are some info and screenshots about the game.

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 09:14 AM PDT

    In the game, you will be a mercenary and you're going to travel to various locations to carry out your missions. These can range from destroying or defending underground facilities and highly-secured military bases, chase convoys in ruined apocalyptic cities of the wasteland or duel vicious terrorists in brand new metropolises.

    As in most Mech games, you could build your mech in Iron Judgement as well. Salvage parts in missions or buy them in the black market. Designing the perfect approach will be critical and buying some intel before starting the mission could be helpful. The game will be available on PC, and it's entirely made by using base Java.

    Here are some screenshots.

    https://i.redd.it/60j3ekw4qr131.png

    https://i.redd.it/n6xf8806qr131.png

    https://i.redd.it/25266yk6qr131.png

    https://i.redd.it/2udp5k77qr131.png

    https://i.redd.it/jzvjalj7qr131.png

    https://i.redd.it/cokkh4x7qr131.png

    submitted by /u/MushinSoftware
    [link] [comments]

    Ricochet mechanics in Titanium Hound.

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 08:32 AM PDT

    Any Engines for Fighting Games?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 12:09 PM PDT

    I am currently making a pre-planning a fighting game and I haven't found an engine to use.

    submitted by /u/TenaciousHoracio
    [link] [comments]

    2 months ago I started making my next VR game based on the idea suggested by the community, now here are the lessons learned from the first playtests

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 04:35 AM PDT

    Unity C# Third person player controller system

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 12:06 PM PDT

    Hey everyone. I am working on an open world RPG with a fast paced action combat system. Meaning that the player will have different states like dashing, jumping, rolling etc. Kinda like a mario would have i guess.. I was looking for a good tutorial that makes a player controller similar to what i want. I found a tutorial about a "Souls Like" series. It was ok but the explanation was not that good in my opinion and also it wasn't good for an open world game I would say.

    There are some tutorials that are using root motion.. but i don't like root motion since it is too complex IMO.

    What would you guys say? Is a root motion based controller the "best" way to do that? Would be script based enough? I think it would be.. but unfortunately neither did I find a good tutorial series covering these things nor could I find an online course that explains and shows what I am looking for.

    If someone does know a good tutorial series on that, I would be glad if you can send me that series/course. I would even be ready to pay for a good course (if it's not too expensive). And yeah.. please let it be rigidbody and not charactercontroller..

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Perion61
    [link] [comments]

    Text based game, which engine would you recommend for non programmers?

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 11:15 AM PDT

    A friend and I work in the industry full time in UE4, but we are digital artists and never have to deal with more than just updating assets in engine. We have no knowledge of the coding side or most of the tech stuff.

    We are thinking of starting a project together and are wondering which engine would be best to learn, as we are aware there will be a lot to learn.

    The sort of game we are interested in making is more along the lines of narrative text based game, think oxenfree, kentucky route zero, storied untold, etc.

    We know we will need a programmer in the long run if the project turns out ok, but for the time being we would need to be able to try out stuff without relying on code too much.

    We are aware that both engines are capable of doing almost the same stuff, they just do them differently. We know about blueprints and how Unity has a similar system. That said there seems to be a very different learning curve for both of them and we aren't sure which is worth learning for what we intend to do.

    What would you guys suggest?

    submitted by /u/0rionis
    [link] [comments]

    Screenshot Saturday #435 - Near Perfect

    Posted: 31 May 2019 09:06 PM PDT

    Share your progress since last time in a form of screenshots, animations and videos. Tell us all about your project and make us interested!

    The hashtag for Twitter is of course #screenshotsaturday.

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.


    Previous Screenshot Saturdays


    Bonus question: Is gaming your most expensive hobby?

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to host Game with private Data Server

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 09:53 AM PDT

    I have a question about a future online game title that my team and I will publish. This is an RTS simulator, similar to Anno (but with multiplayer), so it doesn't have to be extremely performant. I'm not sure at the moment how I want to do this with hosting in general. I want to host my game and use the same server for private data like documents, music and projects, if this makes any sense. I want to find a good long-term solution that makes sense energetically, financially and in terms of performance. As far as I can see, there are several possibilities:

    • The purchase of a NAS and external game hosting
    • Both external
    • Both on their one machine (An Intel Xeon Server or something like that)

    Further it is not quite clear to me at the moment how and where I can inform myself about this topic. If someone knows good sources of information or has own experiences or ideas, I am very interested.

    We are a pretty small studio, so maybe we won't have like thousands of players, so the performance really can be pretty low. More important is a large data server, which can be extended. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/hertelukas
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment