• Breaking News

    Thursday, June 6, 2019

    I created a subreddit /r/howdidtheycodeit for novice coders to ask questions about how a specific feature in a game may have been implemented

    I created a subreddit /r/howdidtheycodeit for novice coders to ask questions about how a specific feature in a game may have been implemented


    I created a subreddit /r/howdidtheycodeit for novice coders to ask questions about how a specific feature in a game may have been implemented

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 07:13 PM PDT

    Project Borealis Developer Blog: Open Source Movement (UE4 Implementation of Source Engine Movement Mechanics)

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 05:00 AM PDT

    1 Year of Gamedev and Making Games Should be Fun

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 07:17 AM PDT

    Creating Counter-Strike in Unreal Engine 4

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 09:41 AM PDT

    Big collective thanks to this subreddit!

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 06:33 AM PDT

    I just recently set up the steam page for the first actual game I'm making. It's not a finished game yet, but it already feels like a big step and I owe a big thanks to this subreddit for that one! Being new to gamedev, this subreddit has been an invaluable source of quality information and also inspiration from fellow devs to keep pushing forward. For setting up the steam page, this guide by /u/Boarium https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/bag8qt/so_you_want_to_have_a_kickass_steam_page/ was especially useful for getting the steam page set up so that I feel confident in it. Now all I need is to just finish the game. I hear that's easy, right? Haha...

    So, big thanks to the community for all your contributions! I hope in time I will also be able to contribute something useful here!

    As a shameless plug, my game is called Mortal Glory, if you're interested in checking it out on Steam.

    submitted by /u/RedbeakGames
    [link] [comments]

    Result of yesterdays art stream, live again right now! (link in comments)

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 07:17 PM PDT

    Code Optimization using the CPU / GPU

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 02:32 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I've created an n-body simulation - video here https://youtu.be/dDMcC3v81e0 - that acts as a benchmarking tool of sorts for testing out various "simple" optimization techniques that you can use in coding parts of your game that require heavy data processing. The areas of use are vast, getting that extra performance anywhere your code needs it. I thought this was quite interesting and hope you find it useful too.

    The following approaches were used:

    AoS (Array of Structures): This uses a classic OOP design, with each Entity as a separate object, and is the simplest code to write. However, this code would be more difficult to optimize using SIMD directly, as described below.

    SoA: This uses the Structure of Arrays approach, where each data type is contained in separate arrays - e.g. each mass of every entity is contained in a "mass" array, so similar data are packed tightly together for (theoretically) faster access and use. See more about AoS vs SoA here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOS_and...

    SoA + SIMD: Using 256bit SIMD oprerations allows the CPU to operate on 8 floating points every cycle. This provides a dramatic performance boost, albeit at the expense of code readability. It must be said that the SoA approach does lend itself very well to SIMD, as the data is already packed in such a way as to allow SIMD operations on it, limiting the need to revise existing code. I learned SIMD from various guides on the internet and these tutorials by Chili: https://youtu.be/GwII1AJzKN4

    SoA + SIMD + Multithreading: This approach uses multithreading to use all cores on the CPU. Again, the gains are impressive. I was quite astounded at how much optimization you can get out of SIMD + mt; allowing for big gains in CPU usage and program speed! However, the code bloat is real!

    CUDA (GPU): This approach is actually quite simple from a code perspective (although is much more of a pain to figure out how to set it up!!), and the GPU vastly outpaces the CPU particularly when the simulation size increases. Note that the millisecond values for the GPU are not accurate: OBS (video capture software) impacts the performance of the GPU, so the real gains are about 50-100x that of the traditional AoS / OOP approach. Quite astounding!

    What is great about this is that these gains are all without adding "clever" optimization techniques such as quad trees, Barnes–Hut approaches, etc, which require quite a lot of a thought-time and much more difficult programming.

    The code itself (excluding the CUDA code) can be found here, in the Game.cpp file: https://github.com/s0lly/NBody_SIMD_Test

    submitted by /u/s0lly
    [link] [comments]

    Free LowPoly Modular Dungeon assets!

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 08:58 PM PDT

    Hey! As always, the packs are posted first on my twitter.

    Hope you like them and use them in any project! (If you use them send me screenshots! i'd love to see that)


    If you want all the packs in one file or specific models for your game i've made a Patreon!, and i would love if you could support me with a dollar there, it would mean a lot!

    Here's my website if you want to check it out, the packs are there too


    Preview


    Includes:

    *45+ Models (FBX, OBJ and Blend formats)

    Download


    Past Weeks:


    Modular Trains

    Animated Alien

    Furniture

    Animated Women

    Animated Men

    Easy Enemies

    Buildings

    Animated Dinosaurs

    Car Pack

    Platformer Pack

    Animated Robot

    Farm Buildings

    Medieval Weapons

    Animated Monsters

    Posed Humans

    Animated Knight

    Farm Animals

    Sci fi guns

    Civilization Buildings

    Animated Fish

    Modular Street

    Ships

    Modular Dungeon

    Spaceships

    Animated Zombie

    Animated Woman

    Animated Man

    Furniture vol.2

    Buildings

    Animated Animals

    Medieval Assets

    Animated Guns

    RPG Assets

    Junk Food

    Nature textured vol.3

    Public Transport

    Airplanes

    Cars

    Nature

    Holiday pack

    Pirate pack

    Animated animals

    Furniture vol.2

    Snow Nature

    Bushes

    Clouds

    Spaceships

    Suburban Pack vol 2

    PowerUps

    Food

    Potions

    Desert

    Medieval Weapons

    Guns

    Space

    Furniture

    Cars

    Nature Vol.2

    Nature Vol.1

    Houses

    Trees


    License: CC0: Public domain, completely free to use in both personal and commercial projects (no credit required but appreciated).


    If you have any questions or problems tell me, i also have my Twitter DMs open! I'll gladly help as soon as i can. If you want you can follow me on Twitter.

    submitted by /u/QuaterniusDev
    [link] [comments]

    Using scriptable objects in Unity with my procedural generation implementation

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 07:27 AM PDT

    Board game devs: what kinds of social media posts do you make?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 10:07 AM PDT

    Hey! My team is ramping up to launch a kickstarter and are looking into marketing avenues. We want to post more often on various social media (twitter, facebook, etc) to attract more traffic... but we're at a bit of a loss regarding what topics/kinds of posts we can actually make.

    This is particularly weird for our board/card game, as there aren't really 'gameplay previews' to demonstrate like we could with a videogame.

    The question is this: how do you post regularly online?

    Thank you for any help on this matter!

    submitted by /u/CloudfallGames
    [link] [comments]

    Is it possible to make a mod in a different engine?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 05:01 AM PDT

    Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't quite find anything on it. For the last couple years I've been working on a project where I've basically tried to take an old game and port it to a different engine. This has involved taking the game's assets and often refining them, and importing them into unity while doing all the programming myself. This game already has some mods that do a similar thing in the original engine, but I assume once they are used in a different engine it will violate the terms of the game or copyright or something. I think this isn't a big deal right now since I own the original game and no one else has access to my game project. But would it be even remotely possible to make my game available to other people who own the original game, basically advertising it as a engine conversion mod? Perhaps it could be done with permission of the original developer (if they're even around anymore)?

    submitted by /u/gicew
    [link] [comments]

    Low poly house for animations and games | Fbx file (Google drive): http://bit.ly/lowpolyhouse2fbx

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 09:34 AM PDT

    How to Differentiate Games that Have the Same "Hook"

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 10:32 AM PDT

    I've been thinking about making a game that has a similar hook to a game that already exists, specifically, the combining of two genres. Nobody else seems to have made a similar game as far as I can tell.

    The original game promised a genre-blending experience that would create enticing gameplay. Instead, one of the genres completely broke down. This might have been due to different cultural expectations or because the creators didn't understand what they were working with. What remained was not enough to create a good experience. Reviewers often complained of the same issue.

    It's clear that with some modifications, this game could be very effective. I plan on taking the same hook and moving it in a different direction by changing how the core gameplay is designed. However, I'd like to not have a Cease and Desist order on my hands. Is having the same genre-combining hook going to get me in trouble?

    submitted by /u/senshisun
    [link] [comments]

    Translating 2D depth buffer to a 3D space

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 08:14 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I am working with unreal engine 4 and plugin Unreal_CV to replicate the LiDAR effect in AirSim but to go THROUGH transparent objects (i.e. "glass"). I'm able to get the depth buffer in a 640 x 480 array of distance (in meters), but I'm not quite sure of the mathematics to translate these values to Unreal.

    As of now, I have the number of pixels away from my relative perspective (x and y) and the 3D distance relative from the viewing point.

    From my research, it seems I need one more piece of information. Whether that be a "focal length" or a translation from pixels -> degrees, which I have found out is not linear at all. Any insight?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Thugzook
    [link] [comments]

    Journalist/Publication lists

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 10:25 AM PDT

    Apologies if this is a duplicate question from long ago, but I was wondering how anyone here dealt with the deluge of game related YouTube, news sites, journalists, bloggers etc. regard where to send press releases, announcements and other marketing related sources. Do you keep a personally curated list? Use a list compiled by someone else? Any other strategies?

    Thanks in advance to any advice!

    submitted by /u/shinsons
    [link] [comments]

    Sandbox RPG Design Analysis

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 01:30 AM PDT

    Grid-based movement/navigation inside of Unity. I finally figured out how to do it!

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 07:50 AM PDT

    Tutorial Link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUiNDDcU_I4&feature=youtu.be

    I have been avoiding making a game with a grid-based movement/navigation system for so long and finally decided to buckle down and figure out how to do it. Attached is a tutorial going over the basics of such a system. Hope it helps someone.

    submitted by /u/RandomArtAttack
    [link] [comments]

    Wondering if any game devs would like to work with me.

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 09:30 AM PDT

    I make music and would be interested in working with a game developer as I'd really like to make some video game music - I think it sounds great and would love to make some myself. I'd be willing to do it for free exposure, so cost shouldn't be a problem. If you want to see examples of my work, request in the comments and I'll send you a link.

    submitted by /u/S0m3Rand0mL3tt3rs
    [link] [comments]

    Quit my job to make games. I have never been more happy. Here is my dev vlog.

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 09:10 AM PDT

    TheUnseenWorld - DevLog

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 11:18 AM PDT

    Hi guys. I'm working on a game project currently and I've started a devlog. If you guys would check it out and give me any advice/tips in the comments that would be great! Your support will be massively appreciated https://youtu.be/bjJt4Yd7qFE

    submitted by /u/TheRoarBird
    [link] [comments]

    Percentage of revenues taken for each platform

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 06:28 AM PDT

    Hi! I am currently in highchool and I would like to venture into making my own game, I'm just curious what plat form takes the most amount of revenue per sale? I've heard steam is 30% but I am just curious about things like Nintendo and Sony, any answers would be much appreciated

    submitted by /u/Spackall
    [link] [comments]

    Game development for the browser. What do you recommend?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 06:22 AM PDT

    I want to make a 2d game for the browser.

    Anything like pygame for javascript?

    Which tools would you recommend?

    Anything for Web Assembly?

    I need a little orientation.

    Which tools would you recommend?

    submitted by /u/Robert_Bobbinson
    [link] [comments]

    Web Dev's Roadmap to Game Dev

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 08:38 AM PDT

    You entered the world of corporate software engineering several years ago to become proficient in coding and general software development, knowing that one day you would quit and pivot into indie game development. That day is 9 months from today...

    what skill sets do you start working on in the margins outside work?

    submitted by /u/Manningham15
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment