• Breaking News

    Thursday, June 27, 2019

    HTML Can do that web developers

    HTML Can do that web developers


    HTML Can do that

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 08:49 AM PDT

    A really interesting post I found today about features offered by HTML: HTML can do that

    I'm not the author but thought it is interesting for the webdev community.

    submitted by /u/fxtrade2006
    [link] [comments]

    I will never work for a digital agency again.

    Posted: 26 Jun 2019 06:18 PM PDT

    (if I can help it :) ). Throwaway time.

    Long story short, I was laid off recently from a digital agency as they were struggling financially (surprise, surprise).

    On top of that, for those who have worked / currently work at an agency, you know the drill:

    • Insane, unpaid over time. Consistently.
    • They're unstable. Every one of them. I've worked at 5, and they all struggle. It only takes losing a few contracts and guess what? Layoff time! It's an awful business model IMO.
    • Sales guys or tech leads promise the world without consulting devs, and shockingly of course give extremely tight / unrealistic deadlines and actually expect something of quality at the end of it. And when you say something, surprise! No one gives a shit.
    • Hourly billing, so you're time tracking. Fucking hate time tracking. And of course if something takes longer than expected (it always does, shit always comes up), it's your fault.
    • Toxic culture. Every time.
    • Company has zero direction.
    • Churn and burn projects.
    • Always over budget.
    • Management blames the devs for their shortcomings. Every God damn time. Management has zero idea what they're doing.

    Anyway..

    I hit the job boards and recruiters hard. By the end of it, I applied to 40 jobs, had about 10 interviews (some phone, some in person - some were lined up and had to reject them due to an offer), and had 4 job offers in hand. 3 of them were for agencies (I know, I just needed a job at this point), and one for a SaaS company.

    Since I never wanted to be laid off again because a company was struggling, I went for the company that has it's own SaaS product and that has been around forever.

    At the end of the hunt (2 weeks), I accepted a position at a SaaS company and by God, it's 1000x better than working at an agency.

    Some perks at the new place (confirmed by a fellow dev):

    • They actually have processes due to the nature of a corporate environment. Agency had none.
    • Way, way less stressful. Since it's a bigger company and you're working on only one product, you don't have multiple clients demanding insane things. You work at a good pace.
    • They don't expect you to work unpaid over time
    • You make your own estimates. There's no time tracking.
    • The culture is amazing
    • They've bought a few companies in the past few years
    • Amazing benefits and perks
    • Few remote days per week
    • Stable! This was the biggest thing for me as I'm starting a family in two months.

    I think working for an agency when you're young and out of school is a great thing to do. However as I've got older, I've realized they're just an all around shit show.

    Never again - if I can help it.

    submitted by /u/ridicthrowaway09
    [link] [comments]

    How do I start building a website from scratch?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 08:26 AM PDT

    I'm new to making websites so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question.

    Okay, so I am having a hard time googling answers here. I want to start a website from scratch and just build it in VS code. Do I have to use a CMS? everything online is telling me to use WordPress, but I can't customize anything/use CSS in WordPress unless I pay for a plan.

    Additionally, if I can just start a website from scratch, is there somewhere that offers a guide to how to do that setup or somewhere I could download a basic template/folder of code to build off of?

    I've done all these basic lessons on CSS, HTML, and JavaScript, but nowhere has told me practically how to put them together, only theoretically how they would work together. I just need a point to start and build off, then I can figure out the rest.

    submitted by /u/EnlightenedBanana
    [link] [comments]

    Any tips for beginners?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 02:13 PM PDT

    I have no experience web developing, I am learning how to use WordPress to create blogs, portfolios and e-commerce, while at the same time learning PHP. I want my websites to be as good as I can possibly make them. But I feel like if a client ever asked me to do a specific feature to my websites that I wouldn't be able to accomplish it. I am not sure weather I should continue using WordPress or just use a different application. Any tips about creating websites will help a lot, I am just asking for general help on the way to learn to make good websites.

    submitted by /u/ItsBJr
    [link] [comments]

    7 years as a developer - lessons learned

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 04:26 AM PDT

    Is it just me, or does this sub specifically have a bias towards freelancers?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 12:14 AM PDT

    This sub is known as /r/webdev, which implies it covers Web Development as a whole.

    I understand that Web Developer has a history of being utilized for smaller business sites, but a large portion of Web Development is also in Software Engineer roles within Tech Companies.

    Every other post on this sub is someone highlighting why freelancing is the best, or using some tool like Wordpress or Shopify, which outside of design agencies, are not relevant for jobs at Tech Companies at all.

    There's basically two mindsets:

    The first is to Learn HTML/CSS/JS, then learn PHP/MySQL, then learn Wordpress. The second is to Learn HTML/CSS/JS, don't touch Wordpress at all, and instead just learn Node/Express/SQL and practice Leetcode.

    It seems like this sub is literally just mostly freelancers. I often see posts saying that beginners should stick with Wordpress, which I don't think is good advice.

    What if you were someone with a CS / STEM degree, but technically never had professional Web Development experience before? I don't think that learning Wordpress or Shopify would be relevant for this specific purpose if your end goal was to work for a Tech Company.

    The argument typically goes, well there's a lot of Wordpress jobs out there so there's more chance for any junior Developer to get those jobs if they have no other options.

    That's fine and all, but honestly, if I already had a CS / STEM degree, I would just try to do a Coding Bootcamp or leverage my existing network to get into a Tech Company job and not touch freelancing at all. I mean, wouldn't you if had that specific background?

    Imagine if you were someone who has worked in the corporate world on Java Spring Boot projects and you never touched Wordpress + Shopify development before.

    You come onto this sub, and see everyone talking about it like it's a core competency within Web Development, and you get more flustered as if you are lacking some critical piece of fundamental knowledge.

    You scramble to learn Wordpress + Shopify, only to discover that it's absolutely useless in your day-to-day job and you wasted a time learning a specific tool rather than Leetcoding.

    What's everyone's thoughts on this?

    submitted by /u/OverMatch4
    [link] [comments]

    I want to expand my github and resume. Can anyone suggest me any projects?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 11:08 AM PDT

    I am looking for a webdev job, I have only one project on github related to it. What projects in Django will give me some experience and look good on my resume?

    Thankyou

    submitted by /u/heeehaaw
    [link] [comments]

    A new browser extension to copy hyperlinks, images, and selected text as Markdown

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 06:52 AM PDT

    ORM Database question

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 04:08 PM PDT

    Im building an inventory database for a manufacturing company client of mine. I'm currently using Sequelize and am wondering if this is a good option for the long term? Is there a more secure ORM or anything else someone with experience can recommend?

    submitted by /u/CurlyNipples
    [link] [comments]

    Tips or advice for my first junior react job

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 12:04 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, I am starting my first full time front end developer position in about 10 days. I would appreciate any advice or tips for doing well in my role as a junior react developer. I have a type A personality and I have read quite a few stories of people burning out and I dont want that happening because I really do love web development/programming. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/tchrlton1
    [link] [comments]

    Save file from server to client machine

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 03:43 PM PDT

    Hello, I have done a web app (asp.net MVC) that does the following:

    1. Pulls records from the database on the server.
    2. Generates a text file with raw printer commands (to later be printed on a tag printer on the client machine).
    3. Sends the text file from the server to the client.
    4. Pushes the file to the client machine using the browser download pop up (the one that asks you where you want to save the file).
    5. I made a batch (print.bat) file which writes the downloaded file to the tag printer's port.

    It works great, the file is downloaded and the printer prints the tags beautifully.

    HOWEVER.....

    The client reports that the users are not able to click a button, download a file, save it, and then execute the .bat file manually. This manual process is too complicated for them.

    They need to just click a button and have the browser download the file, save it automatically (without the download pop up) on a directory, and then run the batch file automatically, so the printer prints the tags without them interacting with the browser or the OS.

    I searched for a solution and I found this can be done with a browser plugin, but I only found information to do it with ActiveX, which is very old and I found it doesn't work with modern browsers (aka Google Chrome).

    Is there another browser plugin which can do this?

    Also, the printers are very old and don't support new technologies like WebPrint, so I have to do it as described above. Also, I'm not fine with the users having to install a browser plugin since it opens security holes, but the client is insisting.

    submitted by /u/10eleven12
    [link] [comments]

    Personal Project that's similar to a work project?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 03:29 PM PDT

    What's the etiquette for a project that's similar to something your company does, but that you made by yourself on your own time? The site I've been working on at my job is pretty cool, but a lot of my ideas get rejected because of time restraints, my team, etc. I've been working my own site at home which has a similar premise and has a lot of features that I suggested at my job and were rejected. What can do with this? Can I publish it? Could I get in trouble if I were to put ads on it? How should I talk to my boss about this?

    For reference, I work at a research lab, and both projects analyse discussions about politics on Twitter. I'm making my version from scratch - no code was taken from work. I do love my job and I don't want to fuck it up!

    submitted by /u/nikeethree
    [link] [comments]

    [Help] Chrome extension problem : Anything I send using chrome.tabs.sendMessage is undefined, although there are no errors?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 02:50 PM PDT

    In popup.js :

     chrome.tabs.sendMessage(tabs[0].id, {msg: "grab_articles"}, function(response) { articles = response; console.log("This is the response : " + response); }); 

    In content.js

    chrome.runtime.onMessage.addListener(function(msg, sender, sendResponse){ console.log("Message has been recieved, msg is " + msg.text); if(msg.text && (msg.text == "grab_articles")){ console.log("grab_articles called"); sendResponse(document.getElementsByTagName("article")); } return true; }); 

    I have some console.logs in the content.js so it is 100% being injected and the first the

    console.log("Message has been recieved, msg is " + msg.text); 

    is also called, so the send message is being triggered. But it just prints msg.text as undefined, and the if statement therefore does not work. Any ideas? I've tried sending different messages, changing up how I've written sendMessage etc. and nothing seem to works, without any visible errors I'm kind of confused on how to go about debugging this.

    Thanks for any help!

    submitted by /u/AllWoWNoSham
    [link] [comments]

    Got my first webdev job but I feel like I don't deserve it. Is that normal?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 07:11 AM PDT

    So I got an offer to work as a junior Vue.js dev from a software house that works on streaming platforms and I'm feeling really intimidated with their stack. I've zero experience, have never worked with Vue, didn't answer some of the JS questions (one of them was about the reduce method which I never used but only read about) and never worked with any of the CSS frameworks which they require. I accepted the offer but I'm dreading the first day at work. Is this how people usually feel? Is there something I can do?

    submitted by /u/janKhut
    [link] [comments]

    Should we really be using Redux for filtered grid data?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 05:57 AM PDT

    I recently inherited a project that leveraged Redux to manage data for a paginated, filtered, sorted, grid. It occured to me that despite being reasonably well normalized, this data was coupled very tightly to the specific grid component. There was no practical way for other components to benefit from the caching of a few pages of data. When a grid only displays 50 of a possible 10,000 records, the odds of another component needing exclusively the cached 50/100/150 records is extremely low.

    Are grids to follow forms, where it's now almost universally agreed data belongs in local state and not Redux?

    Obviously Redux provides other benefits, but that's outside the scope of this particular question.

    submitted by /u/RealRuritanian
    [link] [comments]

    JavaScript credit card Month/Year validation

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 10:33 AM PDT

    JavaScript credit card Month/Year validation

    I'm building a web form for a shopping site and I'm having some issues with the the month/year selector and having it validate correctly. I have the default values (index[0]) set to "mm" and "yy" and then in the function to verify the input, I have it set to selectedIndex === 0 as invalid. I have this function tied to the event of hitting the submit button as well as an event listener for "onchange." Here's my issue: When the page loads the month and date are set to "mm" and "yy" respectively, if i go through the form and fill out all the other required fields and leave the month and year set to "mm" and "yy" and then hit submit the browser will read everything as correct and claim that all the data has been validated. But if I were to change the month and year to any other value besides "mm" and "yy" and then CHANGE THEM BACK TO "mm" and "yy" the browser will then act correctly and claim that those two values are incorrect.

    Picture of the form

    Event Listeners

    addEventListener("load", function() {
    document.getElementById("subButton").onclick = runSubmit;
    document.getElementById("cardName").oninput = validateName;
    document.getElementById("cardNumber").oninput = validateNumber;
    document.getElementById("expMonth").onchange = validateMonth;
    document.getElementById("expYear").onchange = validateYear;
    document.getElementById("cvc").oninput = validateCVC;
    });

    Submit Button Function

    function runSubmit() {
    validateName();
    validateCredit();
    validateNumber();
    validateMonth();
    validateYear();
    validateCVC();
    }

    Validation Functions

    function validateMonth() {
    var cardMonth = document.getElementById("expMonth");
    if (cardMonth.selectedIndex === 0) {
    cardMonth.setCustomValidity("Select the expiration month");
    } else {
    cardMonth.setCustomValidity("");
    }
    }
    function validateYear() {
    var cardYear = document.getElementById("expYear");
    if (cardYear.selectedIndex === 0) {
    cardYear.setCustomValidity("select the expiration year");
    } else {
    cardYear.setCustomValidity("");
    }
    }

    Any Ideas?

    submitted by /u/Mr_Self_Eraser
    [link] [comments]

    Hey fellow web devs what parts of programming, or your job, do you loathe and consider an absolute chore when it comes time to do it?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 02:05 PM PDT

    For me that list includes:

    • Installing SSL certs
    • Anything to do with domains, DNS ( setting up email MX records, aliases, etc).
    • CSS
    • Testing

    What about you guys?

    submitted by /u/fentanyloverdose
    [link] [comments]

    Database for Wordpress

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 02:02 PM PDT

    I work for a small company that has tasked me with redoing their website on Wordpress. They want a database of all the products they sell. There are thousands of parts each with about 30 fields of information, and some pdf and png files for each. So far, I used a wordpress plugin to do this, but its really terrible, clunky, and I have really limited control over it.

    I have a small background in CS just taking a few classes in Java, python, etc so I know the basics, but no webdev experience or classes. I've been thinking about taking a class like this: https://www.udemy.com/the-web-developer-bootcamp/

    I'm thinking this class might not help me solve my problem. Currently all the data is in excel. What tool could I use / resource I could learn from to build a database, get it to look pretty with dropdown menus and search bar, and connect it up with my Wordpress site?

    submitted by /u/aryzach
    [link] [comments]

    Fast-growing SaaS startup - looking to hire our 2nd engineer and 4th team member

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 01:52 PM PDT

    Our fast-growing SaaS startup is seeking to hire our 4th team member and A+ player. Ideally a full-stack/python dev who has an appetite for risk and being on the ground floor of a SaaS startup with big aspirations. A little bit about us:

    • Went from $0 to $200,000 in ARR SaaS subscriptions from Feb 15th 2019 to today
    • $500k+ in the sales pipeline
    • Raised 300k on a 3.5M valuation to date
    • Founder sold previous company
    • Hard-working team that respects work-life balance, but is very driven and strict when it comes to performance, goals, and our appetite for success
    • Looking for an A-player. What does that mean? A dynamic engineer with good communication skills, an ability to learn/adapt fast, can switch gears on the fly to take care of the most urgent deliverables. Willing to get hands dirty but can settle into a management role as time goes on. A person we can consider a founding team member.
    • Offering 100K+ in Salary/Equity
    • Boston (HQ), NYC, or Remote

    Where are the best places I can post this to find someone? If this sounds like you, please comment connect/learn more about the company and connect.

    submitted by /u/ohjusthiring
    [link] [comments]

    How to store data for historical but ongoing user analytics (e.g. Google Analytics)

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 01:47 PM PDT

    How would you guys store data for a very basic Google Analytics type service? Suppose you want to track / query things like historical number of users at any given time or the type of actions they're performing.

    Not trying to rebuild anything like Google Analytics, but it just seems similar to what I'm trying to do at a high level.

    Thanks all

    Edit: And would you guys base this on logging and then a separate job to process into the DB or would you log directly into the datastore?

    submitted by /u/digitil
    [link] [comments]

    Job interview for Symfony (with a Laravel background)

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 01:43 PM PDT

    I have a job interview in 6 days and they work with Symfony. I am very experienced with PHP, but only used frameworks like Laravel so far. I read about the differences but I am afraid I couldn't handle the best practices or get into the work routine so easily. Has somebody made similar experiences? What would you suggest to prepare? What would be most efficient to watch/read now? I appreciate any tips or links that would make me feel more secure about this job interview. Thank you all in advance.

    submitted by /u/YeowMeow
    [link] [comments]

    Using licensed/pro libraries in open source projects?

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 01:15 PM PDT

    I was wondering what kind of experiences other people have had using licensed/pro libraries (such as FontAwesome) in their open source projects. I am not looking for a way to get around paying for good software. Rather, I'd like to be able to use licenses I currently have (FA being among them) in some apps I am developing.

    I'll kick off the discussion with the best idea I have been able to come up with so far, using FontAwesome Pro as the example. I believe it would mostly work, but I feel like it'd quickly become a pain to maintain.

    API key

    My API key would be stored in a file at the root of the project and added to .gitignore. Contributors who have their own licenses create a corresponding file in their copy of the repo.

    Running npm install

    Since the pro icons are in separate packages, they would all be added to optionalDependencies in the package.json so anyone could install dependencies without worrying about having a FA license.

    Building/Running without a license

    This could be addressed a couple of ways.

    1. Configure Webpack to resolve icon imports based on whether the aforementioned file exists. The biggest issue here is that there's no way to automatically know which free icon should be substituted for a given pro icon, leading to lots of entries in the resolve section of the config.
    2. Create a root-level registry of all the icons used in the app. There would be two versions of this file: one which imports pro icons, and one which only imports free icons. This has essentially the same issue as the other solution, but moves the mapping into the code making it theoretically a tad less painful.

    Double the work?

    The biggest issue with all of this is the fact that I would need to find backup icons for any instance where a non-free icon is used. Alternatively, I could simply define a generic "pro icon was used here" to replace all instances of non-free icons with a single placeholder.


    So there it is. It's definitely not a workflow that seems like it would be very enjoyable for me or friendly to potential contributors. What have other people done in this situation?

    submitted by /u/chimericdream
    [link] [comments]

    Long Term 'Self-Hosted' Dynamic QR Code

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 01:05 PM PDT

    Hello everyone! I was hoping you guys could help me. I would love to get a dynamic QR Code Tattoo for myself, but I'm incredibly worried about the longevity of Dynamic QR Code services you have to pay for. Is there any way I can make a QR code that links to some sort of site I can host that I can edit to redirect to whatever content I want and or run a script like "send text" or something like that?

    I didn't want to depend on third party sites because what if in like 80 years or whatever, they shut down?? Wouldn't make sense to host it myself to ensure the lifetime control of it until my qr code deforms?

    Thank you!!

    submitted by /u/SioPaoloCan
    [link] [comments]

    Library for Apple SwiftUI Tutorial-like Code Display

    Posted: 27 Jun 2019 06:58 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I was just browsing through the official Apple Tutorials on their new UI Framework SwiftUI and was quite impressed with their website.
    Is anyone of you aware of a Library that makes creation of such guided coding experiences easy to do? My specific use case would be for a friend who teaches IT at a school who might benefit from such a format for explaining code.
    I suspect I just didn't use the proper keywords in my fruitless searching...

    Example of the Tutorial: https://developer.apple.com/tutorials/swiftui/building-lists-and-navigation

    submitted by /u/ducusheKlihE
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment