• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 9, 2019

    Can we see your portfolio? Any tips for making a portfolio stand out would be great web developers

    Can we see your portfolio? Any tips for making a portfolio stand out would be great web developers


    Can we see your portfolio? Any tips for making a portfolio stand out would be great

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 05:58 AM PDT

    I’m harvesting credit card numbers and passwords from your site. Here’s how.

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 07:12 AM PDT

    Write HTML Like It's 1999

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 08:39 AM PDT

    How can I go about making an ecommerce site similar to this one?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 06:31 AM PDT

    Website: https://www.carid.com/

    My brother has a car company and they've decided to move into the direction of an online ecommerce presence and he asked me if I could learn how to do so. They have a regular website right now that's pretty static and basic.

    I've never made one but I have knowledge in the regular front end batch including react + backend with databases and database design.

    Would it be a negative to create the site from scratch and use stripe for payment options? Is this a doable process or is it vastly difficult even without the payment side of things?

    I need the website to be customizable as the website I demonstrated above but just not with as many options. I'm not sure if an existing template(WooCommerce,etc) will allow me to design the website my self and have the same customization.

    submitted by /u/web_dev1996
    [link] [comments]

    Weird job interview

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 07:32 AM PDT

    Last friday i had an interview for a php internship and the guy started asking me c++ related questions and nothing about php.

    In my cv i only had web related stuff ( php, css, html, mysql, bootstrap and doctrine orm ). It was a surprise when 70% of the questions where something not related to the job. Rest of the questions were some oop ,css and javascript that i don't know that well ( in the middle of doing an online tutorial ).

    Are these types of interviews the norm where i go for a php position and they ask me a language i don t even have it put in my cv?

    submitted by /u/Setorrs
    [link] [comments]

    Are games acceptable for web dev portfolios?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 10:22 PM PDT

    I looked up some prior Reddit posts asking what people put in their portfolio. I found a thread from a year ago, and several posts mentioned doing a game, and got upvoted.

    So I feel like my portfolio needs one more thing, a good JavaScript example. But is a game an acceptable choice? I can make a game, it's no problem, but would it be "proper" or suitable for a webdev portfolio? Or should I make something more "corporate"? At least it wouldn't be another to-do list, right?

    submitted by /u/Boolean_Equals_True
    [link] [comments]

    Generalizable features of a SAAS product

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 02:47 PM PDT

    Hey reddit. I'm working on a personal project just for learning and I'm trying to write a list of features that all SAAS products have in common, both in terms of the product and in terms of technology. So far my list is as follows, but I was hoping to get some input on anything I might be missing. Thank you!

    Features:

    • Sales page

    • CMS and blog

    • Billing

    Tech:

    • Application (react or other)

    • Authentication

    • Backend API

    • Code testing

    • Monitoring

    • Logging

    submitted by /u/bch8
    [link] [comments]

    How do I include react with typescript with a laravel project?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 01:51 PM PDT

    We have a laravel project already setup but we wanna use react with typescript for the frontend. How would we set this up?

    submitted by /u/pX_Pain
    [link] [comments]

    I want to learn web development

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 04:14 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, the post is pretty much what the title says. Some background: I am 19 years old and currently a sophomore. I began programming in college when I was 17, so pretty much a newbie. I have only worked with C/C++ and studied OOP and Data structures till now.

    I haven't found anything that interests me, so I have decided to explore things to figure out what might work for me. Any advises on how to learn web dev? Can you people recommend some good sources such as books, videos, online guides etc. Leave your advises too. I'd really appreciate them :) PS: i am more inclined towards back end development.

    submitted by /u/Rook_005
    [link] [comments]

    Am I on the right track for building this web app? Any suggestions?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 03:23 PM PDT

    Disclaimer: I don't know jack shit about web development. I have an idea of what I want to do, and I just want to make sure I shoot in the right direction here when I start this project.

    This website is a really good example of basically what i'm trying to build.

    In writing, here's what I'm trying to do: I have a database full of security cameras and their IP addresses. These security cameras belong to a more general location (let's say there's 5 cameras in Chicago and 3 cameras in LA).

    1. I want to build a local web-app (ie. it will only be on a local network), where the first thing the user sees is a page and search bar (just like above).
    2. The user can input either a name of a location and the search will display all the cameras in that location, or the user can input an exact IP address for a camera and the search will display that particular camera.
    3. In the display results, there will be a small button for each camera that allows the user to trigger an event when the button is pressed.
    4. If possible, I would like to have this button change click be reflected across all open instances of this web app. There might be a few people on the app at a time, and I don't want two or more people to be able to click the button at the same time.
    5. The user should have access to an admin page where they can add, delete, and edit cameras in the database.

    Here is what I have in mind:

    Create a web-app using python and Django. This will let me set up a lot of the ground work without doing much. Then I can create a camera table and a location table in the database. Next I would have to drop in a couple HTML, CSS, and JS files to get the front end.

    A couple of questions:

    1. How should I handle the idea that the button click should be reflected across all open instances? I feel like if I have the button on the search page, then I would have to make that whole page collaborative and it would be absolute chaos for the users. Should I make it to where the search results link to a separate page that displays info about the camera and can have buttons that trigger events, and make the new page collaborative?
    2. Any recommendations for how to make a page collaborative? I came across sharedb.
    3. I was told that bootstrap or any CSS framework would be overkill for this. Should I just manually do all the HTML, CSS, and JS?
    4. Would sqlite be sufficient for this in Django?
    submitted by /u/RugerHD
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone experienced in quoting big jobs? Should I charge a big lump sum or go for the long term?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2019 10:53 PM PDT

    I stumbled into a rather big job, designing an inventory management system for a growing retail outlet which just opened its second location.

    They currently write the prices for their items on the item itself in a black sharpie, but are doing crazy good business.

    They have no idea how many units are in the building, how long theyve sat there, etc etc. Real opportunity for improvement here.

    Ive not worked in this space before. I figure it will take me some 350 hours of development time, and I value that at $50/hour for just shy of $18k.

    Do I charge 18k, plus $500/month for maintenance/hosting/backups?

    Or do I charge 1500 a month and thats all-in? Maintenance, backups, as well as development. More like a lease of my software.

    Option A nets 18k one-time, plus 6k per year indefinitely.

    Option B nets 18k per year indefinitely.

    Option B obviously makes me more money long term, as they will likely use this software for many years. It will also likely need less work from me as time goes on.

    Does anyone have thoughts on the best way to approach this question?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/blarghusmaximus
    [link] [comments]

    A question about domain names

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 02:26 PM PDT

    I'm new to this so forgive any stupidity. Now I was working on a static website using node.js (express & ejs) and all was good and I was able to host on heroku's free tier then discovered netlify and decided to eventually move there to avoid the 30 minute server sleep at heroku and tell them to buy a custom domain for their company (I'm doing a very small website for a local company with no DB and serious backend..just like a business card).

    After I finished they told me that they already have a domain name and a website that was never finished. So they want me to use that same name. They gave me the website's name and login credentials. I logged in to find it hosted on something called cPanel...it looks old and I think it only supports PHP and Apache? Anyway I want to "take" that domain name and link it to netlify/heroku..is this even possible? Do I need more info from them? What should I ask them I don't want to sound stupid in front of them. :D

    submitted by /u/batnull
    [link] [comments]

    .Github Folder VsCode Extension - Generates .github folder with the markdown files!

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 01:37 PM PDT

    Mobile Menu using Wordpress, I need help getting the categories to drop down when you press the word categories. Only drops down when the carrot is selected.

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 01:30 PM PDT

    What are the technologies used to make a visual editing tool?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 07:27 AM PDT

    What are the technologies used to make a visual editing tool?

    Context: I am revamping my entire website that used React as the frontend library. My website provides these things called roadmaps which are really just fancy D3.js tree (http://bl.ocks.org/robschmuecker/7880033). Currently, to make a roadmap, it is all done in a SVG and one would just press "+" or "-" to create or delete a branch. But I want the roadmaps to have more freedom than that, users should be able to drag and drop elements from a tool sidebar and connect them however they want, which would look like a much more simplified version of the following:

    lucidchart

    So what are the JS libraries you guys would recommend me to use?

    submitted by /u/RedditAcy
    [link] [comments]

    How to test a website with a database on localhost with apache?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 01:24 PM PDT

    Background: recently started a front-end dev internship at a small company (5 people) and I am completely lost. Basically, the people I work with have this mentality that since software developers spend an awful lot of time googling things (aka learning things on their own), I should start early and figure out how to set everything up myself. Whenever I ask them a question, I get answers that don't help me at all or confuse me even more.

    Question: Can someone point me to a decent tutorial (I am using Linux) that takes you step by step through the process? The things I were able to find are super simple and do not help with a problem as complex as mine.

    submitted by /u/future_web_dev
    [link] [comments]

    Does tailwindcss has the potential to become the next bootstrap?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 03:03 AM PDT

    I've been working on bootstrap since a long time and recently I'm hearing about the tailwindcss which is a utility based framework that focuses on reusing low-level css styling rather than some high level all-in-one thingy like bootstrap has done.

    Considering that the project has no institutional backing of any kind, I think their progress has been considerably good so far. I remember the time when react was a new chip on the block with a revolutionary and contrarian idea: writing html in javascript. Many of us were skeptical of that idea (some still are). Though the framework was still remarkable, I don't think it would have gained all that fame and traction without facebook's backing.

    At a first glance, I think tailwindcss has a lot of potential, I hope it turns out to be a great alternative to bootstrap.

    submitted by /u/el_programmador
    [link] [comments]

    [Question] If you had to decide between a REST api with Scala (http4s) or GO (standard library) which would you pick?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 06:46 AM PDT

    Some background. I'm an Angular/.Net developer. I basically use typescript like I use C#. And don't get me wrong, I love working in our netcore api and according to these tests:

    https://www.techempower.com/benchmarks/

    It is obviously a good choice. Granted we use EF instead of dapper or ADO so we probably aren't getting close to those results. I am sort of tired of doing things a "right" way and not having freedom though. It seems Angular and .Net are both very opinionated frameworks. I also kind of just want to learn something different/new.

    I realize both languages are basically on opposite sides of the spectrum so there probably very few similarities. I'm also open to other suggestions besides node.js or python.

    For my personal project I'll be using Angular/TS, Flutter (I know dart gets a lot of flack but I do love the workflow. Bloc pattern and RXDart weren't really that hard for me to grasp either), PostGreSQL , and _____ Api.

    Edit: I guess what i'm looking for is something that is both interesting to learn, will introduce to me to new concepts that I may be able to apply in other environments, and performs well.

    Things I've heard that scares me away from either language:

    Scala: A lot of focus shifted towards Kotlin for the people that only used scala as a "better" java, the people that used it as a FP language are starting to leave for Haskell, The compiler is slow, Scala 3 could cause a divide similar to Python 3 but obviously not to the same scale.

    GO: According to reddit it is basically a programming language for infants (i.e very simple and basic), No generics, Something about repetitive code/boiler plate code

    submitted by /u/wowthatsabigpotato
    [link] [comments]

    I want to learn the “LAPP” stack for backend development

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 08:39 AM PDT

    I'm already familiar with Linux and Python. How can I tie in Apache and Postgres into all of this? Trying to learn backend dev and just wanted to figure out how to incorporate these technologies with each other.

    submitted by /u/biggestpythonnoob
    [link] [comments]

    Custom social proof notification system

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 12:15 PM PDT

    There are a growing number of platforms like UseProof, FOMO and Provely that allow developers to connect to review source like google or yelp and deliver data through a subtle notification on a business's website like "John just left a 5-star review - 5 mins ago"

    Some of these also allow other "proof" to be delivered to the notification popups like "Jane just purchased ABC - 10 mins ago" or "Jason from New York, NY just registered an account - 15 mins ago" - those coming from a variety of sources rather than just a review site.

    We're trying to build a similar system that would allow a user to connect to a data source, design the notification and configure the settings, but would prefer not to build it from scratch if there are libraries that already exist - open source and need to be configured or pre-built "out of the box" types of solutions.

    Any suggestions or ideas are most welcome.

    submitted by /u/solateor
    [link] [comments]

    CDN routing question

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 11:35 AM PDT

    https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/cdn/performance/

    1. When the user requests a webpage, the user's request is routed to the CDN's nearest edge server.

    How does that work?

    I have setup cloudfare for my website. To set it up I had to set cloudfare as DNS nameservers of my domain.

    If I ping my server I get a response from a new cloudfare server instead of my servers ip address.

    Does this cloudfare ip address change if I ping my server from different countries? How does my computer know the IP address of the nearest edge server?

    submitted by /u/logTom
    [link] [comments]

    How do I leave empty content on the outside sides of a grid wrapper?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2019 11:29 AM PDT

    I just found out about CSS Grid yesterday (I've only been learning web dev for a month), and all day yesterday and today I've been reading tutorials, watching video tutorials, and learning a lot.

    One thing I can't figure out, is how do I leave empty space on the outside of my grid. but have it colored?

    I'm trying to remake this website for practice:

    www.lawnlove.com

    the actual content is only about 60% of the width, or 1025px. And so when you shrink the browser, it doesn't start to shrink until you hit that point. How can I do this with CSS Grid?

    I've made everything except I can't figure out how to color the sides. And when I make my grid wrapper 100% of the screen, the content starts shrinking/collapsing as soon as you shrink the browser. I want the empty side content to not effect the main content.

    I have been using Inspect to read into the example website's code, and they do not use CSS Grid. But I figured it's better to figure out how to do it with CSS Grid since it is the modern technology.

    submitted by /u/SantaOMG
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment