• Breaking News

    Friday, June 14, 2019

    Auto-tiling using "sub-tiles"

    Auto-tiling using "sub-tiles"


    Auto-tiling using "sub-tiles"

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 02:03 AM PDT

    If the player presses "R", spawn a new ball. What could go wrong?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2019 01:38 PM PDT

    What we found out about tags on Steam, and how it affects impressions

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 08:54 AM PDT

    Intro

    Our game DwarfHeim has had our steam page up since mid-April 2019. Our studio (Pineleaf Studio) is relatively new and still figuring things out on steam. After the first week, we had an almost vertical climb in impressions, visitors, and wishlist actions. Then we had a huge drop in all of them. That is when we started looking closer into Steamworks data and tried to figure out why the drop happened (this is also when I, as a marketer, had a small heart attack). We have also been fortunate enough to have gotten a lot of great advice from some older and larger game studios.

    We have found an interesting correlation between tags, impressions, and visitors. So we dug a little deeper and here are the results that we want to share with you guys.

    PS: The post may be a bit long for your liking. Because I haven't seen many detailed posts about this from developers or others mentioning that they utilize this data, I wanted to summarize our experience in one place and I thought it may be useful for you guys. So here goes:

    Numbers on 14th June 2019

    Impressions: 700 000 +

    Visitors: 61 000+

    Wishlist: 6 500+

    What did we found out?

    Impressions Chart

    Visitors Chart

    Wishlist Chart

    You are seeing our impressions chart (the first chart), the visitors and tags change event chart (second chart), and wishlist chart (third chart). On the visitors chart, we plot in "Tags changed" as unintended changes in tags and intended changes as "tags adjustment". We found out a couple of important key points about impressions -> visitors -> wishlist conversion:

    • Increase in overall impressions is NOT an equal increase in visitors
      • As you can see, we have a spike on visitors and wishlist actions on 4th May, but a relatively small spike in overall impressions. So we start analyzing the "Breakdown of pages" ( Steamworks > App Admin > Your game > "Store & steam Platform Traffic Breakdown" then scroll down), and we found a spike in a specific section of impressions which is in "more like this". This statistic tells you whether or not you are actually reaching the right audience for your game.
    • The first 15 tags should cover both mainstream tags and niche tags.
      • The steam document (https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/store/tags) stated that it will look at the first 15 tags, but it didn't tell you how you should split them up. We made an adjustment to the tags ratio (3/4 niche tags and 1/4 mainstream tags) around 27th May and as you can see the result in the charts were very much in our favor. We have more wishlist actions from smaller coverage/impressions to the right audience rather than larger coverage/impressions to the wrong group.
    • There is a delay from the day you adjust the tags and the spike in impressions (1 - 3 days) then the chart falls down again.
      • While you'll start seeing the changes after a couple of days, the effect of it, in our experience, lasts about a week or so before it starts to fall down again. Our suspicion is that this may have something to do with time-sensitive metrics (newer games, other game launch dates, etc) that prioritize other games over your game. So consistent adjustment is recommended.
    • Unintended changes happen.
      • SteamDB -> Your game -> History. You can easily see the changes in the weight/order of your tags.
    • External traffics help boost internal impressions.
      • We are also monitoring external (non-steam) news on google search, SoMe, and youtube. Every time we have a spike from external traffics, we also got a spike in impressions from internal steam channels.

    Conclusion

    The tags of your game should first and foremost cover the right/niche audience of your game and it should be monitored and adjusted consistently. I'm monitoring the numbers and changes daily and start to adjust the tags weekly, also taking PESTLE into the decision-making about tags; and concurrent engineering principle to make sense of the tags data (Google is your friend if you don't know this).

    Of course, we are super early in the steam page "game" and I couldn't say more until we've gathered more data. But I think this may help developers to at least know where to start, especially indie developers.

    Signing off,

    Chansin

    Pineleaf Studio

    submitted by /u/TypicalMain
    [link] [comments]

    Current shader & state engine work for dynamic terrain based on the climate change [solo dev C++ engine]

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 01:52 AM PDT

    Testing some springs for our game, Meawja!

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 09:58 AM PDT

    Google announces Game Builder: Create 3D games with friends, no experience required

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 09:14 AM PDT

    So You Want to be a Game Developer?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 07:58 AM PDT

    Let's learn from our failure - A post-mortem of our VR game.

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 03:30 AM PDT

    Hi guys!

    We recently released Mr.HackJack, our VR detective game, and went through the post mortem meeting. It actually was pretty interesting for us so we decided to write a little article about it, hoping it might learn a few tricks and help you to avoid doing the same mistakes we did :p I look forward to read your critics about it!

    https://www.indiedb.com/news/post-mortem-mrhack-jack-robot-detective

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/TimotheV
    [link] [comments]

    Should You Release Your Game on All Consoles? | Indie Games Marketing

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 08:37 AM PDT

    client side prediction with 2D rigid-body physics

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 08:56 AM PDT

    I'm currently working on 2D rigid-body physics multiplayer game using Matter.js for physics (both the client and server side) and Phaser3 for rendering. Both the server and the client run the simulation and the server is authoritative.

    The whole game consists of multiplayer players (who can collide with each other) and objects (boxes, balls, etc).

    For now, I'm working on the client side prediction and while I understand the main concept, I just can't get it right.

    Every game tick I gather the client inputs, store them locally, timestamp them and send to the server, while at the same time I start moving the player forward (by applying force). When the server receives the inputs, it processes them (by applying the same forces to the player). The server then sends the current state (coordinates, velocity, rotation, last processed input timestamp, etc) to all players at 20hz.

    This is the part where it gets tricky. What I currently do, is I force the player to the coordinates sent from the server and apply the same velocity (both X and Y). After that, I remove all locally stored inputs which are older than the last processed input and apply them instantly in a single frame, by doing multiple physics steps.

    With low latency (20-30ms) it works out quite well, with some jittering when rapidly changing the player direction or when I'm colliding with other players/objects, but with higher latencies 70-110ms, the prediction goes completely off. I can see the player constantly being pulled back and forth and the whole game becomes unplayable.

    Example, with 90-100 ms latency

    I can't wrap my head around, what exactly am I doing wrong? Is client side prediction even the correct way of handling this sort of thing in a rigid-body physics-based game?

    Also, I turned off state updating from the server, and noticed that the position in the server and locally sometimes goes completely off, for example when I'm jumping, running and quickly changing direction. I believe that means that the physics engine is not deterministic?

    submitted by /u/SpeekaDievs
    [link] [comments]

    Cultural systems/mechanics/features in games

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 08:35 AM PDT

    Hi there

    I'm currently researching cultural systems in video games and I'm wondering if you know any games with interesting mechanics in this area.

    By establishing a new community in a more or less available region, community member have to learn to get along with each other, forming social groups and eventually develop a culture on its own based on key moral values.

    I looked into Frostpunk, where you as a player can affect the moral values your community strives to by taking decisions like child labour vs. children's homes and more similar moral dilemmas. That was quite interesting and the kind of mechanics I am looking for.

    Another example would be the massive culture system of civ6, where you get bonuses depending on cultural progress, where you can build cultural buildings such as theatres, stadiums and even wonders and where cultural progress even is one of the winning possibilities.

    So, do you know any games with interesting features in this area?

    I'm thinking of scenarios like apocalyptical zombie-fighting communities(state of decay?), underground/vault stories (dont think fallout or fallout shelter has such a mechanic?) or of course either historical or sci fi colonisation.

    submitted by /u/lemorks
    [link] [comments]

    Create a Match-3 Game in Unity! Part 1

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 08:34 AM PDT

    Is it possible to work in the games industry in other parts of the world as a foreigner? Like Asia for example. If so, please share your story.

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 11:11 AM PDT

    Is it possible to work in the games industry in other parts of the world as a foreigner? Like Asia for example. If so, please share your story.

    submitted by /u/moeshaaaa
    [link] [comments]

    Deformation using Sprite Shapes WIP Unity

    Posted: 13 Jun 2019 11:49 PM PDT

    Grace Feedback

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 09:29 AM PDT

    https://i.redd.it/lejxnu5xlc431.png

    Hello helpful developers! We (a team of two) are making a game called Grace, a short demo of which you can play here! https://swampa.itch.io/grace. We would love to get any feedback on art, sound, etc. This will mostly be a story based game but we wanted to add a birding element as well. We are using Construct 3 and I can not recommend this software enough for people unfamiliar with coding.

    submitted by /u/SwampaStudio
    [link] [comments]

    Opinion question: Are ASCII art games still relevant? Could they be? And what about pure text-based?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 09:15 AM PDT

    I am an enthusiastic programmer. Writing code usually is not a problem. Not too long ago I mastered a Java game engine, before that - GameMaker Studio.

    But one thing I cannot do is art & graphical assets. So, due to this, my laziness and my passion for how games like Dwarf Fortress look, I have a question... do you think there is still appeal in ASCII art games or going a step further - purely text based games?

    The obvious answer is "it depends", but I need to know more... what is YOUR personal opinion on text based games? Are they inferior to graphical games? Are they outdated?

    What should I take into account if I decide to build one?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/lastrodamus6
    [link] [comments]

    I need help to wrap my head around the complete process of 3D game development from scratch to a ready game

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 03:09 AM PDT

    Disclaimer: Reading this post will definitely lead you to think that I am trying to learn too much which is more than I could possibly do myself. I just want a complete overview of the entire process so that I can give each section a try and later decide which stuff I'll be able to do myself and for which I will require external help.

    I have learned the basics of 3D modelling in blender, have programming experience and have knowledge of mathematics pertaining to 3D games from my academics, but I'm at a loss on how to progress my learning and what areas and software tools to focus on.

    I have decided that I'm going to use blender and unreal engine for my work. As an indie developer, I would like to automate the 3D process as much as I can while making sure that all software tools are compatible with each other (for e.g substance suite with blender and unreal)

    Lets say I'm building an open world city. As per my understanding (please comment on whether I am wrong in any areas), I have tried to divide learning into these parts:

    1. Static objects: Infrastructure, lights, common objects, road signs, buildings and related objects that only have to be modelled, textured and put in the game with basic collisions. Do I model all of this and texture using photoshop myself or model them and go the substance painter route for texturing or buy these objects from the marketplace Any procedural methods of generating infrastructure and buildings?
    2. Main character and NPCs: Modelling, texturing and animating characters and NPCs by myself is definitely a big challenge which is why I'm looking for software that would help here. I'm not looking for ultra realistic characters so even intermediate quality is acceptable. Are mixamo or daz3d good options for character modelling and rigging or should I do the main characters myself and use software for NPCs? For body and facial animation, what theory do I have to know beforehand? What is the standard method of creating animations?
    3. Interactive objects: How to make the interaction between players and weapons, cars.
    4. Terrain: What are some procedural techniques to generate terrain and how to handle LODs in Unreal engine?
    5. Special Effects: Explosions, fire, water effects, rain, etc

    This is the basic idea that I have in my head. Please add any relevant sections to this and guide me on the correct approach of learning all of this in a way that all the components tie together well. As for sound design, music and cutscenes, I will probably outsource them.

    submitted by /u/SneeakyBastard
    [link] [comments]

    Examples of games that have a coded/virtual game master?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 08:54 AM PDT

    I'm doing a little research on games that incorporate a virtual game master instead of a human one? I'm not much of a gamer myself and hitting a brick wall researching online so any examples would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/EVW71
    [link] [comments]

    Tech Demo done, should I keep going or change projects?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 08:50 AM PDT

    This is mostly just me rambling/rubber ducking but I would love any feedback or advice from you all as well with what you would do in a similar situation.

    A little over a month ago I started working on a project. My goals were the following:

    • Became vaguely familiar with C# syntax
    • Practice software design planning & docs
    • Learn a bit about the Unity engine
    • Get a feel for the processes involved in releasing a product to steam/app store.
    • Enjoy myself throughout

    I gave myself a month to get a technical demo ready that shows off all of the core game mechanics and then consider if I wanted to proceed from there. Tomorrow is my arbitrary deadline, the technical demo is working and I'm mostly happy with it. From my initial goals I've cleared every one except going through a release process to see how it works.

    Now I have to decide if I should press on with this or call it a good trip and start something else with different goals. Originally I planned to move onward, but due to the IP I used for the game I'm not allowed to 'release it to market'. From the legal team that emailed me I can continue working on it if I want and can provide it to anyone who asks but I'm not allowed to put it in any digital stores or otherwise 'market' it anywhere. So it sounds like I'm going to be unable to experience a release process with this unless I completely re-skin the game (and honestly, I don't think the concept will translate well outside of it's context).

    Bonus: screenshot.

    https://i.redd.it/z2tdewyffc431.png

    submitted by /u/oldark
    [link] [comments]

    Early Form Level Select Screen

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 08:41 AM PDT

    How can I finish a project with only light coding and art skills? I have a great concept, but am lost on what to do next since I don't want to learn coding that in depth...

    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 08:22 AM PDT

    I'm the guy all established devs hate. The "Idea guy" when ideas are a dime a dozen. But I have a game idea that I think has real potential - I've done the research and I'm sure it could be moderately successful. I do have some things going for me, but I'm unsure on how to proceed as I'm not in a typical position as a starting dev. Could you give me some advice on how I could potentially proceed? I think I might want to get some collaborators, but I'm not sure how.

    Here are the things that I have working against me first:

    • I'm not enthralled with the idea of learning how to code and be a main coder. I've tried C# and learning it was too much for me TBH. I also tried GML, but I watch tutorials and get bored after a bit. I understand it completely, but I don't get a huge amount of pleasure making things work.
    • I'm not great at pixel art or modeling despite having an art degree. Ironic, no?
    • I don't have a ton of time to invest. Maybe 5 hours a week? I've got a toddler so she's my #1. With this amount of time, if I was determined I know I could probably do it all myself, but learning to do it gives me anxiety. Also, I don't want to wait 3-4 years for my project to be done.

    I do have a bit of things going for me though. They are:

    • I understand code concepts completely but suck at implementing them. I know SQL for work, and manage a team of analysts. I can diagram out interactions and design product specs well enough so that I get paid to do it.
    • I'm a great project manager and do a good job laying out process for projects. I'm also a good manager if it matters.
    • I've done a ton of work on my game concept already. I have a 30 page details GDD, a 1 page pitch, scaffolding for a script with events laid out, 5 pages of fun dialog, and I have about 10 excel documents with data tables and even a battle simulator (since my concept is a tactics game).
    • I've read a half dozen or so game design books like The Art of Game Design, Game Feel, and Level Up in their entirety.
    • I also have money through my main job. I'd be willing to sink about $10k a year into the project.
    • I have a great eye for art and understand the pricing systems around it.
    • I'm great at marketing using both social and paid media. I could run campaigns myself.

    With all of this being said, I feel stuck right now with my project and unsure how to proceed. Should I just suck it up and learn a language like GML? Should I go down the collaborator route? How would I even do that?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/somevideoguy14
    [link] [comments]

    Feedback Friday #344 - Endless Exploration

    Posted: 13 Jun 2019 08:08 PM PDT

    FEEDBACK FRIDAY #344

    Well it's Friday here so lets play each others games, be nice and constructive and have fun! keep up with devs on twitter and get involved!

    Post your games/demos/builds and give each other feedback!

    Feedback Friday Rules:

    Suggestion: As a generally courtesy, you should try to check out a person's game if they have left feedback on your game. If you are leaving feedback on another person's game, it may be helpful to leave a link to your post (if you have posted your game for feedback) at the end of your comment so they can easily find your game.

    -Post a link to a playable version of your game or demo

    -Do NOT link to screenshots or videos! The emphasis of FF is on testing and feedback, not on graphics! Screenshot Saturday is the better choice for your awesome screenshots and videos!

    -Promote good feedback! Try to avoid posting one line responses like "I liked it!" because that is NOT feedback!

    -Upvote those who provide good feedback!

    -Comments using URL shorteners may get auto-removed by reddit, so we recommend not using them.

    Previous Weeks: All

    Testing services: Roast My Game (Web and Computer Games, feedback from developers and players)

    iBetaTest (iOS)

    Promotional services: Alpha Beta Gamer (All platforms)

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth buying a booth at a convention?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2019 09:55 PM PDT

    I'm thinking of buying a booth at SLC Gamescon, since I live in slc myself. The cost would be 300$ to get the booth, so if I'm selling my game, I just need to convince 30 people to buy my game to break even.

    Would love to hear from other people who have gone to a big convention, and how it worked out for them!

    submitted by /u/Vivid_Mauve
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment