• Breaking News

    Saturday, May 25, 2019

    Trust your guts: 10 years ago, no one believed in my crazy idea of an AI combat game, I released Gladiabots this week

    Trust your guts: 10 years ago, no one believed in my crazy idea of an AI combat game, I released Gladiabots this week


    Trust your guts: 10 years ago, no one believed in my crazy idea of an AI combat game, I released Gladiabots this week

    Posted: 25 May 2019 09:29 AM PDT

    Fragment Jam starts next week (June 1-30) - a game jam for submitting all your unfinished games!

    Posted: 25 May 2019 04:02 AM PDT

    gafferongames.com is down. What are your favourite alternatives for people interested in learning about network programming for games?

    Posted: 25 May 2019 06:22 AM PDT

    I was gutted when I found out that gafferongames was down. I really hope it isn't permanent, but the author seems to have moved onto other projects.

    It would be cool if you guys could share some of your favourite alternatives. Text/videos are both welcome.

    submitted by /u/brokenbeach
    [link] [comments]

    Blocksplode coming to Early Access soon. You position and detonate explosives, the goal is to leave as little as possible standing above the water level.

    Posted: 25 May 2019 08:57 AM PDT

    I want to write about your game

    Posted: 24 May 2019 10:28 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm someone who gets weirdly happy seeing everyone's progress on their projects. Unfortunately, I'm not as good at programming as I am at writing. And since I definitely don't have enough time on my hands to learn how to make a decent game (yet), I thought a good alternative would be starting up a blog where I could write about upcoming indie games or games that are already out. Let me know if you guys would like me to review your game or even refer me to someone else's!

    submitted by /u/zxz002
    [link] [comments]

    Hi Gamedev! If you are looking for spooky sound effects, I found 3 fully functional 1944 elevators in an old complex built in 1928 & recorded the sounds of it like doors open, closing, riding up & down etc. I hope you can use it. Best, Marcel

    Posted: 25 May 2019 10:13 AM PDT

    Nade Mage Project - The Game Assembly by Daniel Svahn

    Posted: 25 May 2019 05:13 AM PDT

    Anybody else having trouble with wish lists the past few days?

    Posted: 25 May 2019 09:55 AM PDT

    Hey everyone!

    So lately i've been getting about 250 views, and like 20 wishlist additions a day on my game, but the past two days I have gotten no wishlist additions at all. My view count is staying consistent, but I'm not getting any wishlist activity at all... Is it just me, or are other people experiencing this too?

    submitted by /u/JawDroppinAwesome
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with re-design of new logo. Looking for constructive criticism and helpful advise.

    Posted: 25 May 2019 06:06 AM PDT

    I'm currently in the process of redoing our game's title screen and logo.

    This is the old title screen logo.

    This is what I've been playing around with as the new logo.

    This is just a color variation of the 1st.

    How does it compare to logos like these:

    One

    Two

    Three

    If you had to rank the logos from favorite to least favorite how would you rank them?

    Do I have a good base for the logo so far?

    What can I do to improve on our logo? I want it to stick out so in a sea of other logos it will grab attention. I'd also like to be able to re-use the logo in different places (title screen, scaled down for linking from external sites, e.g.)

    I've asked a few people so far and I'm getting really mixed feedback but it seems like the ZombsRoyale logo is consistently ranked #1.

    submitted by /u/thelast_studio
    [link] [comments]

    Promnesia (Gameplay Trailer)

    Posted: 25 May 2019 11:38 AM PDT

    So, this is the first sneak peak trailer that's gameplay of an up-and-coming I'm working on titles Promnesia. It's about two-minutes long and would like to see what you guys think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KXwkg1Kn9g

    submitted by /u/thehiveislive
    [link] [comments]

    Camera is cutting off Canvas in Game View

    Posted: 25 May 2019 09:21 AM PDT

    SOLVED: I brought the Canvas wayyyy closer to the camera. It was sitting 1000 Z units out. Now it works fine.

    Here is a picture: https://imgur.com/Tgjybkq

    It's almost like the camera is defaulting to Portrait Mode when I hit play. I've made every attempt in Player Settings to force non-portrait mode. As I turn my head in VR, it cuts off major portions of my main menu UI.

    Is this the right sub to post for noob Unity help? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/ViveMind
    [link] [comments]

    Going solo - already self employed... should I start a ltd company or stay as I am?

    Posted: 25 May 2019 10:49 AM PDT

    What's up! Just looking for a little bit of advice :) I have found myself in the perfect position to start my own solo game dev journey. I have no commitments, no rent and all the time I could need. I have about 4 years experience in game dev and already had some success and worked extremely hard on a couple of projects that were built mostly by me. So I know I can do this. What I really need is some advice on setting up the business side of things.

    I am based in the UK.

    I'm already registered as self employed/sole trader.

    I have not decided on a developer name yet, but when I do should I register that as a company?

    I'm just starting to set up my steamworks profile and thought - do I need to set up an actual limited company? Or shall I continue as a sole trader? I don't intend to employ anyone - for now. I may outsource some art/sound etc but pretty much everything will be just me. What kind of legal stuff do I need to set up or consider? Is there some place I can read about the options I have? Anyone else in the UK that's had some experience with this? Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/Ridemyface2016
    [link] [comments]

    Sound Designer asking for tips

    Posted: 25 May 2019 08:34 AM PDT

    Hello guys! As i said in the title, i'm a sound designer and music producer, i make music since 2010 and since I started i always tried my best to develope my skills in sound designing as much original stuff as i could, creating sounds from any source and make them sound unique, because of that i can pretty much produce every sound i want to hear, and i work for some agencies that publish sample packs on Splice.

    My desire is to keep learning stuff in the audio field, and as im a gamer and i love video games, i want to be able to work for video game companies, because of that, i need some tips because i'm super ignorant on the field, like, what are the software used to implement audio in a game? can unity/unreal engine help me in learning/understanding that?

    I dont even know what kind of questions i should ask, so, as a game developer, what skills do you pretend a sound designer to have? And what tips can you give me to improve?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/momlookimtrending
    [link] [comments]

    eBall - like it used to be in old 90’s.

    Posted: 25 May 2019 10:24 AM PDT

    eBall is an old-school multiplayer arena shooter with high speed gameplay and a minimalistic look. An old school rocket and grenade in combination with rattling speed gameplay and predictive air shoot of a classic arena FPS with the power of modern gaming technology. The game combines the simple and intuitive mechanics of old-school FPS and If you had spent your youth smashing your friends in Quake III Arena or Unreal Tournament, then eBall is what you've been missing.

    Old school rocket jumps bring the speed of the gameplay to a new level, like it used to be in old 90's. To adjust the balance you will also have a unlimited grenade in case your enemy is air striking you from the sky. Five different maps are introduced to dominate your friends and opponents. It is time to show your friends who is the best eBall ever!

    Features:
    - Maps - Enjoy 5 different maps.
    - Play like in 2000's - No classes. Your loadout is rocket, grenade and your own skill.
    - 4 players Smash your friends in deathmatch.
    - Physical based movement Your character have momentum.
    - 100hz network refresh rate

    submitted by /u/Dastashka2
    [link] [comments]

    How was the mobile app like The Arcana made?

    Posted: 25 May 2019 10:02 AM PDT

    I wanted to make something similar to the Interactive Visual Novel app. However I have no clue on what to use. I'm new to gaming engines and unaware of what programming languages to learn.

    submitted by /u/UsedToBeAGirl
    [link] [comments]

    My game with no gameplay

    Posted: 25 May 2019 09:35 AM PDT

    To "win" this game you have to "play" it for 24 hours.

    There are no goals in this "game". No actions, No interactions. You are a prisoner in a cell block undergoing a life sentence. There is nothing to do but sit in your cell all day.

    There is a win and lose condition. To win you just have to keep the game running for 24 hours. You cannot minimize it and do something else on your computer. If you switch windows, you lose.

    The only way to get to the end is to either "give up" (i.e. alt-tab out or task manager out of the game) OR to keep the game running as the main application in focus for 24 hours. I am not running any background processes like coin mining or anything like that. This is not a commercial project, nor a con job.

    The game is supposed to convey the helplessness of being stuck in a prison cell for the rest of your life. This game only asks for 24 hours of your time - away from a computer - to keep you from something you need and use every day - your computer, symbolizing freedom.

    https://gamejolt.com/games/25tolife/415711

    submitted by /u/omeysalvi
    [link] [comments]

    Stylised lowpoly assets - indie part-time development.

    Posted: 25 May 2019 05:43 AM PDT

    Hello!

    I am working on 3d assets to my indie game that im creating with my friend. Few years ago i have started learning 3d modelling in Blender, as well as for past several weeks i have been learning Substance Designer and Painter.

    I am not a pro in 3d, nor game dev (actually im working as graphic and motion designer as my daily job), but i really like what comes out as stylised models that im doing, and i have had a blast in Substance Designer and Painter.

    However, being on a "budget" of time (working on our indie game at weekends and sometimes in spare time during week) i have been wondering whats the best aproach for quality stylised game assets if you dont have luxury of time for sculpting and much time to invest in every asset?

    What i have considered:

    1. raw "sharp" lowpoly, without beveling, smoothing - im affraid it feels to "edgy" and to raw to result with "quality feel" experienced by the player even when materials/textures are made with care, however can be made very easily, quickly and its just pure fun with modelling.
    2. lowpoly treated with bevel modifier in blender - modifier creates a mess at concave corners.
    3. semi-manualy beveled lowpoly with proximity loops and smoothing - looks good, edges feels polished, can get properly baked curvature map in Painter, but amount of verts multiplies like crazy, making the mesh less readable and harder to edit, and process of fixing edge flows and adjusting proximity loops to get correct normal smoothing in places like indent "cuts" etc. is consuming lot of time and drains the fun(motivation) away from modelling each asset.
    4. lowpoly with baked highpoly normals - this requires full-time effort to produce game assets in reasonable amount of time, and withotu sculpting (which im not good at yet), effect is similar to what i can get with beveled&smoothed lowpoly alone, and on top of that it introduces a lot of baking issues that need to be fixed (perhaps even additonal soft to make it efficient, cause blender+substance seems to not be good enough if you are not a pro at baking or maybe in general not good enough combination - experiments and waiting for their result is to long to just figure it out by trial and error).

    While browsing the web for stylised assets to find inspiration and an optimal workflow for me im still not sure.

    What would you advice for a "time-budget" indie project in regards to creating 3d game assets? What works well - look good and doesnt require full-time effort to be completed in reasonable amount of time in your opinion?

    I am aware that propably i will have to find answers myself, but i thought it wont hurt to ask for opinions and experiences of other people.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/MrFalrinth
    [link] [comments]

    Virtual keyboard with a lot of characters

    Posted: 25 May 2019 09:03 AM PDT

    Hello.

    I am trying to design a virtual keyboard for entering your name in high scores or cases like that, using a controller.I want it to at least have all the ASCII characters, but if can allow to type characters from European languages or other languages it's better.

    I made MES-based unicode subset, without compatibility characters, without precombined characters, with diacritics replacements.

    The keyboards are split in pages, and you can switch pages with L1&R1 or with tabs on top of the keyboard.

    Some pages are more or less holdall and some languages may have weird character order.

    I am thinking of adding MES-3A but it has 2254 characters, so it must have another page selection system to have a lot of pages.

    I am also considering Japanese, but kanji may be a problem. It needs to have a hiragana input and kanji suggestions.

    What do you think?

    struct Keyboard { static constexpr uint8_t MAX_PAGES = 16; wchar_t name[16]; uint8_t nbPages, defaultPage, pageWidth, pageSize; Page pages[MAX_PAGES]; }; Keyboard keyboards[NB_KEYBOARDS] = { { L"ASCII" , 3, 0, 8, 32, { {L"A", L"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ@[\\]^_"}, {L"a", L"abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz`{|}~"}, {L"0", L"0123456789!\"#$%&'()*+,-./:;<=>?"} } }, { L"MES-1", 6, 3, 8, 32, { {L"0", L"0123456789+<=>|~¬±×÷⁄←↑→↓$¢£¤¥€"}, {L"!", L"!\"#%&'*,./:;?@\\¡§¶·¿†‡•‰¦©®°♪"}, {L"-", L"-–—―_()[]{}‚„«»''""‹›^`"}, {L"A", L"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZÆŒÐßØÞ"}, {L"a", L"abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzæœĐđøþ"}, {L"ã", L"àáâãāăȧäåa̋ǎa̧ąˆˇĦħıĸŁłŊŋŦŧƒΩμ"} } }, { L"MES-2", 9, 4, 12, 64, { {L"0", L"0123456789+<=>|~¬±×÷⁄←↑→↓↔∀∂∃∆∈∏∑−∕∙√∞∟∧∨∩∪∫≈≙≡≤≥⊂⊃⊕⊗⌠⌡$¢£¥₣₤₧€₯"}, {L"!", L"!\"#%&'*,./:;?@\\¡§¶·¿†‡•‰′⁊¤-–—―_()[]{}‚„«»'‛""‹›'^`͵¦©®°℮↕↨⌂⌐"}, {L"╬", L"─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼═║╒╓╔╕╖╗╘╙╚╛╜╝╞╟╠╡╢╣╤╥╦╧╨╩╪╫╬▀▄█▌▐░▒▓"}, {L"♪", L"■□▪▫▬▲►▼◄◊○●◘◙◦☺☻☼♀♂♠♣♥♦♪♫�"}, {L"A", L"ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZÆŒÐĐđßØøÞþabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzæœ"}, {L"Ω", L"ΑΒΓΔΕΖΗΘΙΚΛΜΝΞΟΠΡΣΤΥΦΧΨΩαβγδεζηθικλμνξοπρστυφχψωςϗϚϛϜϝϞϟϠϡ"}, {L"Ж", L"АБВГДЕЖЗИКЛМНОПРСТУФХЦЧШЩЪЫЬЭЮЯЂЄЅІЈЉЊЋЏҐҒҔҖҘҚҜҞҠҢҤҦҨҪҬҮҰҲҴҶҸҺҼҾ"}, {L"ж", L"абвгдежзиклмнопрстуфхцчшщъыьэюяђєѕіјљњћџґғҕҗҙқҝҟҡңҥҧҩҫҭүұҳҵҷҹһҽҿ"}, {L"ã", L"àáâãāa̅ăȧäåa̋ǎa̓a̔a̦a̧ąa̳a̸a͂aͅʹʻʼʽˆˇˉĦħıĸŁłŊŋŦŧƏƒƷǤǥəɼʒӀӃӄӇӈӋӌӔӕӘәӠӡӨө"} } } }; 
    submitted by /u/Sentmoraap
    [link] [comments]

    Blender and gamedev vlog. I'd be appreciate if you watch it, cause reddit community gave me the motivation.

    Posted: 25 May 2019 12:49 AM PDT

    How To Create A Logo For Your Indie Games - Indie Game Development

    Posted: 25 May 2019 11:50 AM PDT

    A Ludum Dare First Timer's Advice and Postmortem

    Posted: 25 May 2019 11:49 AM PDT

    C++, get offset of variable in class for reflection system.

    Posted: 25 May 2019 11:19 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm writing a reflection system that stores the offset of a variable in a class so it can be used to get a pointer to the variable when requested. But I'm having a hard time finding a function to find the offset of a variable in a class. I did find offsetof, but if I'm correct it works only with pod classes, so it isn't usefull for me.(I need classes with virtuals and constructors etc.)

    So does anyone know how to get the offset of a variable in a class?(Without creating an instance of that class first)

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/timl132
    [link] [comments]

    Screenshot Saturday #434 - Flashy Visuals

    Posted: 24 May 2019 07:54 PM PDT

    Share your progress since last time in a form of screenshots, animations and videos. Tell us all about your project and make us interested!

    The hashtag for Twitter is of course #screenshotsaturday.

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.


    Previous Screenshot Saturdays


    Bonus question: What is your favorite animated TV show/film?

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    TIL, Steam's "Recently Updated" shows preview of your latest announcement - make it look cool to attract potential newcomers browsing! (xp r/indiedev)

    Posted: 24 May 2019 06:26 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment