• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 11, 2019

    What's the algorithm Katie bouman designed to take the picture of the black hole? learn programming

    What's the algorithm Katie bouman designed to take the picture of the black hole? learn programming


    What's the algorithm Katie bouman designed to take the picture of the black hole?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 06:54 AM PDT

    So it's all over the internet that the women named Katie bouman designed an algorithm which helped to takes the picture of the black hole. Really curious to know about this algorithm which played a key part in making history.

    submitted by /u/crazy00700yzarc
    [link] [comments]

    What software have you built for yourself, that you've never released?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 05:04 PM PDT

    Interested to hear your personal projects.

    submitted by /u/CyrisXD
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone seen the CS50 course from Harvard that's on Youtube? The speaker is very good at explaining CS and the videos are actually entertaining.

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 10:21 AM PDT

    Google Brain is making a self-programmed program

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 07:36 AM PDT

    32...college a waste of time at this point?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 08:33 AM PDT

    Should I go back to school and spend 30+ thousand on a degree or would that time I would spend in college (studying, completing classes, stress, etc.) better be spent just self-learning code and building my own portfolio of projects? I've completed a couple of cheap online "certification" courses from Udemy which really helped me learn A LOT. I've done all the challenges on Codecademy and completed as much as I could without paying for the subscription.

    I'd love to do a bootcamp and maybe in the future I could, but I guess my question is, how much should I know and what should some goals be for me before building out a resume and feeling confident enough to apply for Jr. Dev jobs? How many projects should I have created/contributed to? The last few months I have done nothing but code in my free time, and I've been reading and researching the programming community lots and I enjoy doing it.

    What should my 1-year goals be? Right now, I'm learning Python exclusively.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/flexnos
    [link] [comments]

    [C++] !(i & 2) how is this used to find even numbers in algorithms?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 09:28 PM PDT

    std::count_if(a, a + 11, [](int i){ return !(i & 1); }); 

    given this, why does this predicate work in finding even numbers? what is the ampersand in this instance?

    submitted by /u/dizzyflames
    [link] [comments]

    best way to approach a Udemy python course?...

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 06:40 PM PDT

    I'm taking Jose Portilla's "Complete Python Bootcamp: Go from zero to hero in Python 3" course right now. I've just started it, but I'm wondering what's the best way to absorb this material? Obviously, I can't just watch the videos and have that be it. Do I read each text in the GitHub after I complete the video? Should I take notes as I watch the video? For anyone that has completed this course, what is the best approach to this course?

    submitted by /u/hachikid
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best approach to learning Java Spring?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 08:47 AM PDT

    Should I start with learning the Spring Framework, jump into Spring MVC first and only then do I start with Spring Boot OR can I directly jump into Spring Boot and start doing side projects and don't worry about the other Spring components?

    I hear unlike Full-Stack JS and Django/Flask, Spring Boot as side projects is hard to compare to the actual Spring work done at the enterprise-level, so not sure if it's worth doing Spring side projects at all assuming we already know Full-Stack JS. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/NearbyAuthor
    [link] [comments]

    How to redirect user to google account sign in page in the same tab to login instead of a pop up window opening

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 11:46 PM PDT

    I'm using vue.js as my frontend for a django restframework based backend api. Currenty, I'm using google authentication with this library https://www.npmjs.com/package/vue-google-oauth2 but I end up always opening a pop up window to authenticate my self. How can I instead redirect user in the same window? I am new to all this so can't seem to figure it out. I am using django rest-auth for backend social authentication. The rest-auth library basically uses the django-allauth framework too.

    Is the solution on the frontend or backend and what exactly is the solution? I can't seem to find a good answer for this online.

    submitted by /u/ham-ar
    [link] [comments]

    Flask API to run page scraper timing out.

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 07:59 PM PDT

    So I have a application that I programmed that scrapes websites and creates a db of the items that website is selling. I also have a front end piece of software that makes request to my server API built in Flask to get the data from the database and tell it to start scraping. The problem I am having is the request response cycle is timing out on some of the longer scrapes before it finishes scraping and it cuts the script off. Looking for a way for the server to get the signal "Hey I need to start this script" but also send a signal to the client saying "Hey it's started" without cutting it off on time out.

    Below is the functionality:

    https://codeshare.io/29NWAV -CLIENT SIDE

    https://codeshare.io/GbyEAq SERVER SIDE

    submitted by /u/jeremyfto
    [link] [comments]

    Portable language suggestions

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 11:34 PM PDT

    I wrote myself a tool at work to extract some data from a internally hosted web app, in Python. It scrapes a page for some JSON objects, does some text manipulation to create a new JSON object, creates a table and then outputs it to an Excel file.

    It's nothing comicated but it's my first proper program and I'm proud of it dammit! It replaces having to copy and paste the data from a browser and then running a load of convoluted VBA macros against it.

    Now several colleagues also want to use the program, but it was a struggle with our infrastructure team to get approval to install Python and allow package downloads through our firewall. I am doubtful they will agree the same to a half dozen other people.

    I'm happy to attempt to port my program to another language where they can run it locally if I compile it etc but I have no idea what to use. C# seems quite daunting compared to Python. Would Java be the most logical choice? I initially only chose Python as wasn't expecting others to use my program and it seemed the most logical being only familiar with VBA before

    submitted by /u/ThatFilthyMonkey
    [link] [comments]

    Fine at maths but suck at programming

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 08:09 AM PDT

    I studied engineering at uni. Certainly not the smartest and it was very hard but I graduated in the top 1/3 of my class with maths usually my highest mark.

    A long time later and I'm learning programming but really suck at it. After 6 months I'm still often struggling with easy questions on leetcode. I struggle with visualising solution and get lost or just outright stumped. In engineering there were always diagrams and in maths there were set ways of solving certain problems, somehow programming seems a very different skillset. Loops and series are hard to visualise.

    I think I'm a visual person and seem to struggle building a solution in code. Stuff like recursion totally bends my mind to try to visualise.

    Any advice? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/speedisntfree
    [link] [comments]

    Personal Code Base tips

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 11:23 PM PDT

    Just a quick question. My teachers at the University have recommended that we keep our own code base to be able to reuse code in the future. I was wondering what are some of the techniques and tips you have for doing this? To be more specific, maybe if you could describe how you organize your code base, or what criteria you have for saving things that would be great. If you do it by language, by "code purpose" so to say, like similar functions or if you just put everything into a big old file. Any tips and ideas are appreciated, I really want to start using this strategy, but I don't want it to end up being worse by being unorganized. First time posting here so hopefully this post fits the guidelines. Thanks again.

    submitted by /u/Colbyg13
    [link] [comments]

    Which pluralsight courses would you recommend to become a better developer when I have a one year subscription?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 11:11 PM PDT

    I have a one year subscription gifted to me, for pluralsight. I would like to know which courses is recommended/good to take to help me improve as a developer.

    My goal is to go down the path of software developer/engineer/ backend development/big data/any role which is programming intensive.

    So far I have gone through the python course, and I really liked it. Even though I knew many things, there were still new stuff I got to learn.

    submitted by /u/8589934591
    [link] [comments]

    Need help understanding basic assembly code formatting

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 10:48 PM PDT

    As part of an assignment, I need to be able to understand what happens as I step through lines of assembly code. For this line I'm not sure what the "0x1c" does:

    cmpl $0x74,0x1c(%esp) 

    As far as I understand, this would be comparing the number 74 to the value that the esp register points to if the 0x1c were not there. Thanks for any help.

    submitted by /u/HOCKBRAMPTON
    [link] [comments]

    Trouble with Java Exceptions. Eclipse opens a new Window with the text "Scanner.throwFor() line: not available"

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 10:46 PM PDT

    So here is my code. I'm not having trouble with my custom exception (negativeException). I want to handle the exception of a user entering a string when it's supposed to be a float. I have tried InputMismatchException, IllegalArgumentException, and NumberFormatException. Sometimes the will crash the program, sometimes it won't. When it does crash I am given the InputMismatchException. Each of the exceptions I have tried have crashed the program or opened up a new window, which I find odd. In the case of the program not crashing, Eclipse will open another Window with the text above saying "Scanner.throwFor() line: not available". Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is a picture of the window it opens up, when the program does not crash: https://imgur.com/a/UjnMS6C

    public class callTaxCode_Test {

    //what should the generic model be?? static float income; public static void main(String\[\] args) throws negativeException, InputMismatchException{ 

     //GUI will consist of: one text field for income // drop down box with each type (6 total) // enter button, tax cash button Scanner kb = new Scanner([System.in](https://System.in)); System.out.println("Enter Type"); String input = kb.nextLine(); System.out.println("Income: "); 

     income = kb.nextFloat(); 

     if(input.equalsIgnoreCase("corp")) { try { 

    corporation c = new corporation(input, income);

     } catch(IllegalArgumentException e) { 

    System.out.println("Invalid Input!");

    System.out.println("Please Enter the correct income: ");

    income = kb.nextFloat();

    corporation c = new corporation(input, income);

     } catch(negativeException e) { 

    System.out.println(e.getMessage());

    System.out.println("Please Enter the correct income: ");

    income = kb.nextFloat();

    corporation c = new corporation(input, income);

     } 

     finally { 

    taxpayerInfo<Float> txp = new taxpayerInfo<Float>(taxpayer.getIncome(),

    taxpayer.getFlatRate(),

    taxpayer.getTaxRate(),

    taxpayer.getIncome());

     txp.setType(input); txp.calcTax(); System.out.println(txp); } } 
    submitted by /u/mex036
    [link] [comments]

    Practice recursion

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 04:30 PM PDT

    Hi guys, I really need some advice here.

    Ashamed to say, I am actually a currently employed full stack developer that recently got a raise. I should be happy, right?

    Not so much. My plan was to actually jump into another company as a mid level developer, but I kept on getting rejected because.... I can't pass a coding interview.

    I did not go to school for CS, never took any real coding class in college. All the coding skills I have, I learn it while at work. I really like my job, they treated me well and was giving me time to learn how to code. I went from writing some simply JS automation testing code to a full stack dev that have my own project, span from JS to C# and SQL. I loved it when I had my very own project and the associated tickets to work on, the control and sense of accomplishment is amazing.

    The problem is, I actually don't know how to code that much. I am studying data structure and algorithms myself, in the hope that I can pass a real coding whiteboard interview, for that magic six figure REAL full stack developer job out there. And almost every single sorting and searching algorithm I see there used recursion.

    I read about it a bit and I think I understand what it is, why a base case need to be established, etc.

    But I am still confused with how to actually write the code itself.

    So the question is, is there a way to practice it in code? Not just the standard math questions that the school teaches, but real practical examples I can practice recursion on.

    The only recursion function that I had to write for work, was an algorithm that using JS to manually go down each DOM node, including shadowDOM to find a certain node, and I did it with the help of stackoverflow.com.

    submitted by /u/auditthefed01
    [link] [comments]

    Best programming practices when it comes to packages?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 10:19 PM PDT

    I'm mostly wondering if every class should belong to a specific package?

    submitted by /u/lsdkfjlskdjflkj
    [link] [comments]

    How can I focus and be productive?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 03:38 PM PDT

    I graduated some months ago and got an amazing job. However as time passed I have started experiencing problems.

    I am very tired all the time. I try to sleep 9 hours every day, but I am still exhausted. I have tried waking up later or sooner (I started walking from 9 30 to 5 30, now I work from 10 30 to 6 30. I tried changing my diet as well... Nothing has changed, I am exhausted.

    I am very interested in mathematics, and I am very frustrated I am not doing and learning as much advanced math as I would like to. I tried doing it in my spare time, but working 8 hours a day and then doing multidimensional calculus proofs on the afternoon started to affect my productivity so I had to stop.

    However math is definitely my value to the company. My bosses have stated that I have done things no one else at the company would have been able to. And this is simply because of my knowledge of advanced geometry. Without that I am a very mediocre programmer with a low productivity. I.e the value I bring to the company is my ability to solve problems, my coding ability could be improved.

    As of late I have found it harder and harder to focus. And without focus I can't solve hard math problems and without that, I essentially have no value to the company. And the lack of practice is also making me forget what I know.

    I am also heavily hit by the work format. I graduated from honours from my university. I achieved this by being conciously disciplined. This means, I would skip class to do assignments or catch up on sleep. Neglect easy classes to focus on hard ones... Sometimes I would be stuck on a bug, get frustrated, and decide to relax and play videogames to come to it with a fresh mind. So I would spread 8 hours of coding across an entire day, but not out of laziness, rather as a technique to not be overworked and make the best of my time.

    I can't do that on a scheduled job. So sometimes I just sit there, staring at a bug I know I will fix the next day, trying to figure it out in the present, not making any progress because I am frustrated, and not being able to focus on anything else.

    I don't know what to do. I need to focus, I really want to help my company grow and make great contributions to the code base. But last week all I did was look for excuses to browse Reddit.

    submitted by /u/camilo16
    [link] [comments]

    Any tips on how to cost-effectively deploy microservice side/experimental projects?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 09:31 PM PDT

    My day job is developing Spring Microservices, and while cost isn't an issue at work (we can scale up as much as we want), I haven't figured out a way to really do this in a cheap way for side projects.

    I've only really looked at AWS (and GCP), but with just one RDS instance, and two EC2 instances I'm already nearing like 40$ a month. (and these are the lowest tiered instances).

    Is it unrealistic to practice microservice development on live servers (with services on their own servers) at a cheap cost?

    Let's say you have 5 services, how would you handle optimizing your deployment costs?

    submitted by /u/excitebyke
    [link] [comments]

    How can I do simple Duolingo alike program with Python?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 09:27 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm currently trying to do Duolingo alike program. I'm planning program with gui. It's gonna show total 10 photos, one photo at a time. And its gonna expect you to write what you see in German. How can I do that and where can I even start. And it must be compatible with all Linux distros

    I'm new to python, thanks

    submitted by /u/hd47qjeo6kenf613t
    [link] [comments]

    How to fix printf code below so it prints properly?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 09:22 PM PDT

    my code:

    for (int k=0; k < printFandT.length; k++){ System.out.printf("%1d\nInches[ ", k); System.out.print("]"); }

    How it should look like; https://imgur.com/a/ZcT7VWU

    I have no idea how to add the feet, inch, foot after this numbers so if you want to help pls feel free.

    Edit: I have the elements of the array in another method.

    submitted by /u/aloneabone
    [link] [comments]

    Question concerning plaintext password storage

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 08:47 AM PDT

    I recently came across a change password form where one of the guidelines was: "Atleast half of the characters in your new password must be changed from your previous one"

    ... this somewhat concerns me. Is there any way to do this validation without storing the password in plaintext? Note that I did not have to type my previous password anywhere on the page in order to update it.

    submitted by /u/arcrad
    [link] [comments]

    [PHP] How do the $_POST etc variables get populated? Is it CGI?

    Posted: 11 Apr 2019 08:35 PM PDT

    I am new to using PHP and understand than an HTML form element can send a POST request to a PHP script, and then $_POST variable will then contain the data, but I want to know how. Is this CGI? If so what script is processing the form without any setup?

    In addition how would this data be made available to another type of script like a bash or ruby script?

    If this is not CGI then what is?

    submitted by /u/thesafewasempty
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment