• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 10, 2019

    The Game Maker's Notebook - A podcast hosted by Ted Price (CEO of Insomniac Games) with hosts like Vince Zampella, or Todd Howard

    The Game Maker's Notebook - A podcast hosted by Ted Price (CEO of Insomniac Games) with hosts like Vince Zampella, or Todd Howard


    The Game Maker's Notebook - A podcast hosted by Ted Price (CEO of Insomniac Games) with hosts like Vince Zampella, or Todd Howard

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 01:52 AM PDT

    How to effectively use procedural generation in games

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 07:03 AM PDT

    2.5 years later, music is finally starting to go in. Woo

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 11:22 AM PDT

    A kind of world-engine for games

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 01:11 AM PDT

    Hi!

     

    I've worked a few years on what's become a Unity world-construction application, and would love to get thoughts on the concept, or specific feedback on the open source build I just released (below).

     

    This started with prototyping a history-simulation game, where my immensely ambitious scope made it near-impossible to outline coherent game mechanics.

    So I took alternate routes: first doing loads of historic research, mapping out the setting and potential mechanics (Sicily, 5th century BC).

    Then building the world's map in Unity, creating visual toggles for better overview, and eventually starting for an intuitive simulation-system.

     

    Over many iterations, I ended up with a simulation framework that works well for me: allowing you to inject function into any of its 8 steps.

    My original world had a resource generation and exchange system, modelling the flow of food towards the coast for imported medals and pottery.

    You can see an impression in this click-through: https://i.imgur.com/XsVQU7W

     

    I realized along the way that this application was in no way limited to my still-vague game plan. For a 'functional' world, with many places full of content and self-developing local and global economies, I could see set a point-and-click narrative game, or a dungeon master's toolkit, or a serious game exploring the introduction of currency, or any other game that could draw on a pre-existing, simulated setting.

     

    So one question I've been asking is game developers in my local scene is: do you think there is any bread in a kind of integratable world for game developers to build on top of? Or is that too hard to combine in general, where games all have their own specific mechanic and story requirements for the world they're set in?

     

    I created an unpolished game where you can create armies and send them around to plunder and conquer. Already you can see clear economic effects from levying your farmers who no longer produce food, and from conquering key cities in the trade-network.

    An impression: https://i.imgur.com/jC3Tly4

     

    Another development-revelation was that not just mine, but other words could be built in this platform, so I widened the development scope again. In the last few months I made a user-friendly build that anyone can get started in with their own world.

    It comes with a step-by-step tutorial, starting with installing Unity, so that anyone should be able to follow. Grab the full package for free at itch.io

    If you're interested in getting into Unity, this might be a fun and easy way to start learning.

    If you're more experienced, and see some potential in changing and expanding the project, you're very welcome to contribute: I've started a community-driven build on GitHub, and would love ideas and active development from other creatives.

     

    Happy to answer any questions to make this a bit more clear. I created a subreddit for more discussion: r/worldsmith

    You can also try the Unity WebGL build, through http://worldsmith.net

    submitted by /u/amoebe
    [link] [comments]

    3 years in the industry on minimum wage (UK)... is that usual?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 04:33 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I got my first job in the industry more than 2 and a half years ago after getting a degree in games design. At first I was a freelancer, but then after the first year I got employed with a 'wage boost', but it doesn't really feel like it, it is very close to minimum wages.

    I am Junior Artist, but as an indie dev, I have worn many hats over the course of the years, currently I am 1 of 2 artists and I handle all the community management, I also go to events to show off the game, help with design to name most of my responsibilities.

    We are an indie, but recently come into a bit of money from a BIG investor, and we kind of run things very strictly like a AAA studio (strict on process/workflow), but it's like we have no urgency, so a million rounds of feedback, redoing entire sections of the game. We are publishing ourselves and the date has been pushed back so many times, I'm desperate to get my name attached to a finished game!

    We are 'encouraged' to spend as much of our own time in the studio or working from home as much as possible.

    The people are all great and mostly it's a fun time, but the stressful times feel REALLY stressful.

    So in a mixing pot of low wage, lots of responsibilities, ever moving finish line, etc etc, am I being a whiny baby, and I should appreciate that I actually HAVE a job in games, or is something off?

    I have literally no context how the industry is outside this place, it's the only game job I've ever had.

    Any thoughts or comments are much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/PMMeYourMortys
    [link] [comments]

    Godot Engine - Godot 3.2 will allow disabling editor features

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 05:00 PM PDT

    I need some resources for very high-level game design principles like providing purpose, engaging players, etc.

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 09:19 AM PDT

    I browsed the wiki but don't think I found what I need. The tl;dr of it is that I need guidance in creating an engaging and rewarding game. I keep getting all sorts of ideas, and each one drastically changes how the game plays. Some add to it, some conflict with it, and I don't have a good understanding of how to sort it all out. Basically, I don't fully understand general game theory (I think that's the word for it).

    Here's a general outline of where I'm at, in case it's helpful...

    I'm dabbling in game design now, 12 years removed from once passionate computer hobbies (flash games, websites, simple programming) and I have an idea of what I want to make as my first real brainchild of sorts. Of course I am starting by building quick and simple little games as I start to gain proficiency with design, but I'm also thinking a lot about what I want my eventual project to be. That's where I need some guidance.

    Unlike the flash games of old and the tutorial games I'm working with now, my first big project will be an open game where players get to decide what they want out of it. Specifically, it's a virtual pet game that incorporates some world exploration and skill-based minigames. Two questions have me frustrated:

    1. What does a game need in order to feel engaging and worthwhile, especially a virtual pet game which offers no clear goals or narrative?

    2. What kind of patterns or 'flow' can I use to help distinguish redundant ideas and bloat from beneficial ideas?

    Much like stories typically follow patterns, I assume games do to. Having a resource to help me understand these patterns would be very helpful.

    submitted by /u/SirNanigans
    [link] [comments]

    Free LowPoly Furniture Pack

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 06:44 PM PDT

    Hey! As always, the packs are posted first on my twitter.

    Hope you like them and use them in any project! (If you use them send me screenshots! i'd love to see that)


    If you want all the packs in one file or specific models for your game i've made a Patreon!, and i would love if you could support me with a dollar there, it would mean a lot!

    Here's my website if you want to check it out, the packs are there too


    Preview


    Includes:

    *20 Models (FBX, OBJ and Blend formats)

    Download


    Past Weeks:


    Animated Women

    Animated Men

    Easy Enemies

    Buildings

    Animated Dinosaurs

    Car Pack

    Platformer Pack

    Animated Robot

    Farm Buildings

    Medieval Weapons

    Animated Monsters

    Posed Humans

    Animated Knight

    Farm Animals

    Sci fi guns

    Civilization Buildings

    Animated Fish

    Modular Street

    Ships

    Modular Dungeon

    Spaceships

    Animated Zombie

    Animated Woman

    Animated Man

    Furniture vol.2

    Buildings

    Animated Animals

    Medieval Assets

    Animated Guns

    RPG Assets

    Junk Food

    Nature textured vol.3

    Public Transport

    Airplanes

    Cars

    Nature

    Holiday pack

    Pirate pack

    Animated animals

    Furniture vol.2

    Snow Nature

    Bushes

    Clouds

    Spaceships

    Suburban Pack vol 2

    PowerUps

    Food

    Potions

    Desert

    Medieval Weapons

    Guns

    Space

    Furniture

    Cars

    Nature Vol.2

    Nature Vol.1

    Houses

    Trees


    License: CC0: Public domain, completely free to use in both personal and commercial projects (no credit required but appreciated).


    If you have any questions or problems tell me, i also have my Twitter DMs open! I'll gladly help as soon as i can. If you want you can follow me on Twitter.

    submitted by /u/QuaterniusDev
    [link] [comments]

    WIP Wednesday #114 - Show me your progress!

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 05:48 AM PDT

    What is WIP Wednesday?

    Share your work-in-progress (WIP) prototype, feature, art, model or work-in-progress game here and get early feedback from, and give early feedback to, other game developers.

    RULES

    • Do promote good feedback and interesting posts, and upvote those who posted it! Also, don't forget to thank the people who took some of their time to write some feedback or encouraging words for you, even if you don't agree with what they said.
    • Do state what kind of feedback you want. We realise this may be hard, but please be as specific as possible so we can help each other best.
    • Do leave feedback to at least 2 other posts. It should be common courtesy, but just for the record: If you post your work and want feedback, give feedback to other people as well.
    • Do NOT post your completed work. This is for work-in-progress only, we want to support each other in early phases (It doesn't have to be pretty!).
    • Do NOT try to promote your game to game devs here, we are not your audience. You may include links to your game's website, social media or devblog for those who are interested, but don't push it; this is not for marketing purposes.

    Remember to use #WIPWednesday on social media for additional feedback and exposure!

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.

    All Previous WIP Wednesdays

    submitted by /u/purebotg
    [link] [comments]

    How do you organize game content?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 07:56 AM PDT

    While preplanning my game, i'm finding it hard to keep my game content well organized.

    Things like upgrades and abilities with 3 different classes, levels, dialogues and endings (they will be closely related, but each class will have different dialogues and endings).

    I'm currently using Word, but find it clunky and messy.

    How do you keep your content well organized?

    submitted by /u/J_Winn
    [link] [comments]

    Would anyone be interested in a Discord that's equal parts networking and playing?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 10:13 AM PDT

    In my networking experience, there are a ton of servers that are geared towards one particular type of development, or just playing games, but I have yet to really come across a server meant for engineers, artists, UX/design, and other creatives that are also interested in gaming together.

    That's what I'm trying to create here. Would anyone be interested? I know there's a /r/gamedev Discord, but I'm purposely trying to create something that's professional/networking/development oriented as it is game-playing oriented.

    submitted by /u/ItsAllSoClear
    [link] [comments]

    A brilliant GDC talk on making an indie game as a part-time developer ("The First Tree" by David Wehle)

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 03:08 PM PDT

    How to effectively use procedural generation in games

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 08:51 AM PDT

    Defusing "Flutter Bombs" | How a multi-platform study turned into a twin-stick shooter

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 06:46 AM PDT

    Just how much Java should I know before jumping into my first Android app?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 05:47 AM PDT

    Title says it. I've been doing the University of Helsinki MOOC for about 2 weeks now (just learned about while (true) statements) and I'm loving it. I've got no other experience with the language, or with coding in general, so I still don't really know WHAT I don't know.

    submitted by /u/Surpex
    [link] [comments]

    Town builder tutorial help?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 05:39 AM PDT

    I've been going through tutorials on how to make town builders in unity with C# and have had issues finding relevant ones lately. Can anyone here give me good suggestions?

    I was looking up tutorials on how to place and or swap out objects in a scene and meet certain conditions specifically but I ended up with a tutorial that used some out of date coding in unity that didn't hold up today. It took me a long time to find out what the problem was so I gave up and did some unity tutorials and on the survival shooter tutorial I ran into similar issues which were corrected in the youtube comments. Since then I've been using the Unity manual to try and learn what I need however since I don't know the relevant coding terms I haven't had much success.

    I went to try and find the youtube tutorial I was using to show the specific problem I had but it seems to have been taken down.

    Thank you for any help or advice you can give.

    submitted by /u/SlipHimASmile
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for dataset about latency

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 05:51 AM PDT

    I'm looking for dataset about latency in games. I'm interested in logs from matchmaker where I'd get the list of IP and their respective latency. Dataset can be old, this is not to ddos anyone I'm interested in the latency-ip relationship. This is to improve my matchmaker.

    If you know where I could get that please let me know. thanks.

    submitted by /u/LostAstronaut2k
    [link] [comments]

    What are some free store alternatives for Google Playstore?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 04:10 AM PDT

    Hey! So I want to work on my mobile games, and I don't know where will I post them. Can you hook me up on some free alternatives for google playstore?

    Is itch.io good for mobile games? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Anxi12
    [link] [comments]

    Could this kind of monetization system work?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 09:48 AM PDT

    Heya!

    Beginner here!

    I'm making my first project (The game is a tiny mobile game btw.) that i'm actually trying to gain from other things than experience (i made 2 games for practice already.). Now i'm not trying to get money from it since i'm a middle schooler so i'm mostly making it to put it in my portfolio however a bit of cash would still be nice and it would look nice in a portfolio too.

    So here it is : instead of having a button play adds on click give rewards after the add was watched it would be a donation button that on click it would play an add but instead of a reward it would display a thank you message.

    Now here is why i think this could be good :

    1. The user wouldn't feel forced / be manipulated into watching adds. (Btw i don't have a problem with games that do this, everyone has to sustain themself.)

    2. Less work. I mean making a variable go up by 100 after watching a video isn't much work but still less work is more time for other things. "Time is money, friend!"

    3. Adds wouldn't downgrade the experience. I think this one doesn't need explaination.

    What do you think, could this kind of system work?

    submitted by /u/robertgamer250
    [link] [comments]

    Matching drawn in-game maps with the game world?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 12:24 AM PDT

    I've been drawing some maps for my open world game for planning purposes, and now I'd like to be able to use them as in-game maps too. But I'm having some trouble planning, and it was surprisingly difficult to search for information on the subject.

    I think the closest/easiest comparison of what I'm hoping to achieve would be the maps of WoW. A world map, and numerous zone maps, showing the player position.

    What I don't know, is how I can make sure the map and the terrain match up somehow, so that movement in the world is easily translatable to movement on the map.

    Are there any things to be aware of, any tips & tricks, or any useful information at all I can consult on this topic?

    submitted by /u/archjman
    [link] [comments]

    I just released my second game, ask me anything about development

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 11:55 AM PDT

    This is my second game, I previously released a game called "The Surviving JackHammer" which did not go well compared to this one.

    You can ask me anything from basic to advanced software / game development.

    *The game is available for android and uses Admob (simple ADS)

    *The game took 1 month and a few days to be developed, from the idea to the end of development

    *I do almost anything but art (I had help from my girlfriend)

    *In the game you need to move the phone to generate money and thus buy upgrades

    If you are interested in the game, you can download it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.DotCompany.SpinningMoney

    submitted by /u/DotCompany
    [link] [comments]

    I need a help (Unity2D)

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 11:50 AM PDT

    Hello everyone!

    I am a student from tehnical gymnasium located in slovenia. So, here in my school we choose between 3 subjects in our second year of our study. I chose computer science, where we spent a lot of time programing and teaching other things that we need to know about computer. Now i am in last fourth grade where i have ''matura''. This is like our last exam at 5 subjects (math, slovenian, english, computer science and physics). So at computer subject i have to make a game, i chose to make it in unity -> infinity runner in 2D. I have 5 days to make a game and to make a seminar work in word. The thing is that i am newbie in unity and i am scared that i wont make it to the date. So this is 20% of my grade at computer subject. Is there anyone willing to help me? We can make it together on discord or something, or you can just make it for me.. I am willing to pay too..

    Example of a game i need to make: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M7vX_z6B9I&t=84s (it's not that big of a deal to someone who is expert in unity like some of you guys)

    Much love,

    Jan

    submitted by /u/mef3dron
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on what I should do in school [Kinda wordy, sorry]

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 11:49 AM PDT

    So I am currently in the second year of a Computer Science major (with a game design minor) at a 4 year university. I went into CS because, obviously, I want to make video games and I thought it'd be a good fit. But when signing up for future classes, I realized that almost none of my future courses (except for the game design ones, obviously) interested me much at all. I want to make video games and use programming to bring my ideas to life, not be a computer scientist where the programming is like all I do. I understand the link between the two, and I enjoyed a lot of the earlier coursework, but getting into classes like operating systems and advanced algorithms and stuff, coupled with already not loving the classes I'm in now makes me wonder if I shouldn't get out, because I feel like I'll be miserable if I continue in this. My school has a game dev club I'm part of and I do some stuff my free time that I really love (thinking of doing some Udemy unity courses over summer or something), and I just want to do more of that. So I would appreciate advice from you guys, should I just stick it out in CS even if I don't enjoy a lot of the higher level things? Or should I switch majors (I got to Texas A&M, they have this program called visualization that is more creative focused with a game design track, but there's a lot of art so I'm not sure), maybe switch schools (some online program for game design perhaps?), or even possibly drop out with what I know now? To note, I don't necessarily want to go work for an established company as much as I want to make smaller indie games and hopefully start my own studio, if that influences anything. Thanks for reading, sorry for being so wordy.

    submitted by /u/Brendenation
    [link] [comments]

    Is using other peoples code okay?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 11:45 AM PDT

    So I have taken a year of a AP computer science class and want to start building my first game for a project. Is it okay for my to use other people's code from things like online tutorials okay? I have a decent understanding of codeing but I am not confident enough to completely design my own code from scratch. At the same time my main goal is to grow and expand on my personal knowledge and one day be able to create wonderful games myself.

    submitted by /u/Kyle-Panda
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment