• Breaking News

    Saturday, April 20, 2019

    Resume Advice Thread - April 20, 2019 CS Career Questions

    Resume Advice Thread - April 20, 2019 CS Career Questions


    Resume Advice Thread - April 20, 2019

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to ask for resume advice and critiques. You should read our Resume FAQ and implement any changes from that before you ask for more advice.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Tuesday and Saturday at midnight PST. Previous Resume Advice Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - April 20, 2019

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Shoutout to all the senior developers who really help and are patient with juniors

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 09:16 AM PDT

    I know we often get in your way, and sometimes ask stupid questions. We know we're not as independent as we'd like to be. Just wanted to say we really appreciate your mentorship, and you've made us the developers who we are today.

    Sincerely, Junior developers

    submitted by /u/bidiwidi
    [link] [comments]

    150 Applications, 1 Offer

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 07:18 AM PDT

    I just want to say that, especially when you're starting out, keep applying! If my story is proof of anything is that the internship process is like a lottery when just starting out. I had great interviews go south because the company didn't have the logistics anymore, promising recruiters ghost me, and have companies where I did the coding challenges exceedingly well never contact me again.

    I finally found an internship at a pretty well known company, despite being rejected from startups, and wanted to share what I did differently:

    - I was very humble in my interview, (acknowledged that there is a lot i don't know, and when I didn't know what technology they were referring to, I mentioned it). I suppose companies get a lot of yes-men, and want someone to acknowledge they're here to learn.

    - Stressed the importance of documentation. (a lot of senior developers, especially in my region, don't do their documentation duty). Companies look to interns to stress this process.

    - Sent a thank you email this time. I reiterated the key points from our discussion and what I liked, and affirmed that I think i will be able to do a good job.

    I'm excited to be working this summer and just wanted to share my two cents on the process, for anyone else in the same boat as me. good luck in the search :)

    submitted by /u/ChickenMonitor
    [link] [comments]

    Some coworkers resent me for being invited to a conference they wanted to attend because I’m a woman who came from a coding bootcamp?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 10:48 AM PDT

    Edit: taking this down because I'm scared someone on my 16 person team will see.

    Thanks for the advice. I learned:

    • I should not be ashamed for coming from a coding bootcamp and let them make me feel inferior because I don't have a "traditional cs degree" or for being 27 and not having the 5+ years of experience the other guy my age on the team has

    • I am going to work harder at learning backend engineering. All my experience is in front end but I should "speak the lingo" of backend so next them they have nothing to complain about

    • I am going to post my notes of the conference talks. I also went to some front end talks too and so if my coworkers see there were front end talks there as well that justifies my presence there more that it wasn't all backend

    • I can't leave and go to a different company because I don't have enough experience to and my only knowledge is in front end and UX design. I also truthfully make a lot of mistakes sometimes and so if i go to another company they will expect me to already be at the level instead of learning as I go. I am going to stick it out here and focus on getting better at front end and prove people wrong

    submitted by /u/throwawaygirl388
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong?? Top 20 school, 3 majors, top GPA can't even get an internship...

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 04:44 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    so I'm currently finishing up my junior year and I cannot seem to get an internship and I'm really bummed out and frustrated to be honest... I've been applying since September of last year and I've received some (around 4 in total) interviews with big companies (completely bombed most of them since I underprepared), however, some I did extremely well in and still got rejected and after october/november I barely received any responses (I've applied to 300+ heard from 6 total). It seems like everyone around me seems to be getting internships pretty easily except me, I can't even hear back from anyone...

    Anyway, my question is can someone tell me where I might be going wrong, what I can do for the summer to get a better chance at it next year (I don't even know if I can intern for my senior year it's probably a full time position right)?

    I'm an international student and I go to a top 20 school, top 11 in AI, located in MA; here is a simple breakdown of what my resume looks like:

    Triple Major: Compsci, Math and Economics. GPA:3.95

    2 study abroads: one at Oxford and one at Hong Kong University of Science and Tech (Both top school, had 4.00 at Oxford)

    Technical Experience: 3 Projects:

    Python ML project (image classification)

    iOS Whatsapp replica App (Swift)

    Some Sudoku Solver app (Scala)

    Is this a weak resume? I have never interned so I can't really put that in... can someone advise me or give me an idea of what I'm doing wrong?

    Thank you very much.

    submitted by /u/skidjoe
    [link] [comments]

    Does failing an attempt to get into some companies affect my future try?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 12:24 PM PDT

    I am a new grad starting my new job in June and I interviewed for the Big 4 companies this and last semester.

    I reached one on-site and failed the other ones in my phone interview round. I wonder if failing badly in the interviews will affect by future try to get into the company? I took most of them before I was fully prepared and did pretty badly and I am pretty sure that they keep a record of my interview.

    Will performing badly affect my future attempts and prevent me from getting an interview?

    Or does it not matter at all?

    submitted by /u/czechrepublic
    [link] [comments]

    What advice would you give your past-self going into your first ever internship?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 03:04 PM PDT

    Pretty straightforward questions. If everything works out I'll be doing a software engineering internship this summer. My first one and the first time I'll actually be working on software that isn't for a class/personal project. If you could go back in time and give yourself some advice on your first internship what would it be?

    submitted by /u/kreempuffpt
    [link] [comments]

    Artificial intelligence/ML or MBA

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 11:21 AM PDT

    tl;dr I am trying to figure out right move for my career. I am paid 125k and have 5 yrs experience. ML engineer or MBA

    Hi,

    I am a 31yr old with a masters degree in computer science. I have been working in fintech for 5 years and the works seems a little stagnant. I have dabbled with idea of pursuing MBA from a reputable university so I can get a high paying job and better support my family. But the cost of it is a concern(I did scrap everything for my masters + bit student debt) as I have experience in that. Other avenue is to focus on machine learning (I have background in data mining, though my current work doesn't focus on it) and become really good and switch to a proper software organization and do proper engineering work (current work title is automation and full stack developer)

    I think I lack discipline in an unstructured setting to pursue anything strongly. But the idea of spending a ton and work for 20% increase after 3 yrs is not good either.

    Any enlightened souls want to help me out? Message me if you want more info.

    submitted by /u/Fundstown
    [link] [comments]

    Am I half-assing my internships?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 09:43 AM PDT

    I'm a 3rd year student in CS. And I have seen a lot of posts on here people struggling and applying to a lot of internships and failing/passing 100s of interviews and coming out with one offer. I had 2 internships now and I got one thru a senior dev that I'm friends with, he didn't Interview me he just took me onboard and invited me to teach me stuff and it was unpaid(I went 2 times a week for like 3 hours). And the other one at the company where my dad works (small tech company) and I got that without an interview as well. Now, both of these internships look pretty good on my resume I have been told, the tech stack and the keywords seem good, and I learned a lot. Will these "unofficial" internships come back and bite my ass or am I good?

    submitted by /u/codingboi
    [link] [comments]

    People who have reneged on jobs, how close were you to the start date of said job?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 07:52 AM PDT

    So about 5 months ago I accepted an internship during the summer. However, I was contacted by an awesome company(my opinion for what I want to do) that I applied for and I think I may receive an offer. My original internship starts in 3 weeks.

    submitted by /u/BluChord
    [link] [comments]

    Tech Shortage, or Shitty-Job Overage?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 05:14 PM PDT

    Maybe I've just spent too much time on this sub, but it seems there's a trend of a lot of developers having shitty pointless jobs. It's not just here - but on some dev discords, a lot of people have dull pointless jobs or have jobs making unmarketable products.

    Since tech has become such a boom, every mook with a pile of money thinks their app needs to be made - and business people love the idea of something that has $0 manufacturing cost.

    Is there really a developer shortage, or are qualified people just getting jammed up with dead-end dream-chaser startups, tangled up legacy spaghetti piles, and corporate cog-farms?

    Or do I just have a shitty outlook and confirmation bias? Personally, I'm a bit worried that if it's just not my glum outlook - then once the tech-excitement dies down, there will be tons of jobless devs roaming the street attempting to enumerate irrelevant variables like the number of stones in a section of concrete, or haunted by ghosts of backend system disasters of days long past.

    submitted by /u/RockSockem
    [link] [comments]

    [Seeking Advice] First Lead Role

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 04:58 PM PDT

    I'm moving to my very first lead position! I'm usually able to find out the answers to my programming problems, but I've never had to set up a lot of the tools that we use from scratch. I have to help in the set up of the application servers, apache servers, set up our devops practices, etc. I've been a good software developer but this is getting into unfamiliar territory. I think I'll eventually pick it up, but I'm looking for advice from people who have been there.

    submitted by /u/Arefdubue
    [link] [comments]

    Pursuing Data Science vs. Developer career?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 07:55 PM PDT

    I started my first job at a consulting firm about 6 months ago. I was hired on to do mobile development which I like ok and had intern experience in, but most of my academic work was in machine learning and data science which is where I think I'd like to wind up long term. I let my hirerers know up front that DS was my long-term career goal instead of mobile, and they said that there would be potential for me to move into their DS team.

    I've been coming along pretty well with taking the steps towards transitioning to DS, but one of our heads in the office took me aside and said that while he thinks I have potential in DS, he also thinks that I would have a strong potential continuing down traditional development like I'm currently in, but he'd support whatever path I want to pursue. I'm pretty sure he said this because we have more dev projects than DS ones ATM, but I wanted to get some outside perspective: are there any cons to transitioning from software development to ML and Data Science?

    As extra background, I've got two bachelors degrees in Mathematics & Computer Systems, and I also defended an undergraduate thesis on predictive modeling using decision trees. Basically, I've got a strong academic background in DS but not any professional experience.

    submitted by /u/Danfat
    [link] [comments]

    New grad SWE offer sounds like DevOps

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 06:03 AM PDT

    I received a "New grad - Software Engineer" offer from a large, fortune 500 financial payments company with my responsibilities outline below:

    `Responsibilities may include:

    Design, implement and evolve CI/CD pipelines.

    Design and implement new features of our Continuous Security pipelines.

    Design and implement new features of our Release Engineering process.

    Design and implement applications that helps automate SDLC needs.

    Eliminate pain points by automating processes related to integration, or deployment processes.

    Improve existing docker-based infrastructure architecture.

    Improve our Kubernetes ecosystem by leveraging new features, or plugins.

    Work closely with Application Development and QA teams towards achieving common goals and software deadlines.

    Review pull requests providing constructive feedback, and advocating for code best practices.

    Support in triaging and troubleshooting of highly distributed services in production environment. `

    Questions:

    1. This seems more like a devops role. Is it fair for them to call it a "Software Engineer" position?

    2. My main interest is software development. Will accepting this job offer hurt me in my future plans?

    3. Is this a good role for a new grad to be in?

    4. Other thoughts?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/lestrata
    [link] [comments]

    What percent of sophomores that look for internships actually get one?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 07:24 PM PDT

    I was wondering what the percentage of sophomore students that actively look for an internship end up finding one? I couldn't really find an answer for this anywhere. I hear it's low, but I was wondering if someone had an approximate percentage figure. Also does anyone know the percentage of sophomores in general who do an internship whether or not they search for one?

    submitted by /u/RiemannPotato
    [link] [comments]

    Feeling pigeonholed in my current position

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 07:19 PM PDT

    I have been working at a small (less than 100) defense contractor since I graduated from college two years ago. In the past I was very confident in my skills, but I settled for this job because of my unwillingness to move from my current location. Now I finally want to move, but I feel like my skills as a software engineer have declined drastically and I am having trouble finding a job. I am currently trying to do some problems on top coder/hackerrank every day, but is there anything more I can do to better be able to find a good job within a month?

    Note: I am trying to move to the outskirts of Baltimore, MD and I would appreciate any companies you could recommend to me.

    p.s. Throwaway account because coworkers know my other account

    submitted by /u/VashtaSyrinx
    [link] [comments]

    Do Certain Areas Need More Data Scientists/Engineers/Analysts Than Others?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 10:32 AM PDT

    Hello r/cscareerquestions,

    As the title suggests, I was wondering if there are certain areas in the country that may need data scientists more than others? I'm graduating in June and beginning my job application search. I was looking into areas in the midwest & south. Is this a good plan or should I be wary of certain regions? At the moment I just want to get my foot in the door with a decent paying position.

    submitted by /u/Ryan_Borunda
    [link] [comments]

    Went back to college and not sure where to start

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 07:53 AM PDT

    Little back story here I'm 26 years old and I started college in 2010. After 2 years and some family issues I had to drop out and basically had to get a job and help. Now 9 years I have a family of my own and I work full time and have started going back to school again. I am a junior and will be graduating in December 2020.

    My question is I work full time at a job that has zero to do with my because it allows me to work 40 hours and still go to school full time. Should I include this and my past work experience on my resume or should I just be listing skills that I have? Also what are good was to find small projects to help on to grow my portfolio.

    submitted by /u/Og_tighead
    [link] [comments]

    What are your experiences in learning a new language or doing a project in a new language for your job/internship?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 07:05 PM PDT

    Have your bosses been receptive to you guys trying a new language on a project for work? I am doing an internship this summer and really want to improve my c++ skills.

    submitted by /u/SmartSpray
    [link] [comments]

    How do you decide between corporate vs small/startup?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 06:27 PM PDT

    I just want to get others opinions, perhaps if anyone has been in a similar situation. I have an offer from a large fintech company with good pay, 401k, stock matching, FSA, shopping perks, and several other benefits. My fear however is that the tech may be a bit older and my skills may not sharpen like I'd like them to.

    Another company is on the table which is a small company with ~30 employees. Private equity funded, similar pay, 401k, casual environment, and it's a 2 mile commute from my house. They use .NET/C#/Xamarin which is what I work with now.

    I'm leaning towards the large company because I'd like to knock down some of my debt and be a bit more established financially. But it's hard to ignore the potentially better WLB and opportunity to be challenged and grow significantly.

    I'm currently 9 months into the field and a bit underpaid. What would you choose and why?

    submitted by /u/wetdump69
    [link] [comments]

    Base salary is 65k, relocation is 5k and bonus is 3k. Is this decent for a new grad from a top US college?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 06:11 PM PDT

    I graduated in December as a CS major got into a technology program which starts in July at an insurance company and it will be in North Carolina. I am currently in the East Coast so have to relocate and I only have this offer at the moment and signed the offer letter already. Is the salary decent for a new grad or should I keep looking? (finding jobs is stressful and I am starting to give up on the job search since I have a job offer already but still want to get something better ) What are your thoughts?

    submitted by /u/dumbo1010
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the general outlook on boot camps?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 05:42 PM PDT

    I'm a little ways into self-teaching myself HTML/CSS and really enjoying it. There's a boot camp in my city (Software Guild) that I'm considering attending and I'm wondering what the overall outlook is on boot camps in this sub?

    I'd most likely be going the part-time 8 month online option just due to not wanting to drop my current job for 3 months but I'm wondering if I'll be equally as successful if I was doing the latter option?

    submitted by /u/SOUPYKY
    [link] [comments]

    Will a title change to Software Test Engineer hurt me?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 05:47 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, I work writing embedded software and my current job title is Software Engineer, as was my title at my previous job. I have been working for about 5 years. I was recently offered a job as a Software Test Engineer. I was assured the job is not QA, and the team has a couple of QA guys already. Instead, I would be implementing a CI system and likely also working on development a portion of my time and possibly eventually transitioning fully to development.

    I have limited experience with testing and have never worked with CI, and the company knows this. This is a pretty big company, the pay increase is significant, and the benefits are pretty impressive. My only concern is, will the job title cause issues in the future? Will I have to convince interviewers that I did not transition into QA? I had initially spoken with the hiring manager about Junior and Senior Software Engineer roles he was filling, but they were looking for a bit more experience for the latter and I was too experienced for the former, so it seems they may have created this role for me based on our conversations.

    Thanks for any input!

    submitted by /u/kyaabo-dev
    [link] [comments]

    3 Months into my first job out of college. Is what I do considered software development ?

    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 10:15 AM PDT

    I took the first offer I got after college, it was a "Software Developer" position.

    I joined a team called the "Enterprise Application Integration" (EAI) team, and my job seems to be just writing middleware applications/services that transform/transfer data between various front-end and back-end applications using message queues and message brokers and SOAP/REST web services.

    I've been told that what we're doing is implementing the Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) software design style.

    The thing is, we're using IBM Integration Bus (IIB), and we're writing our code in a proprietary language called ESQL by IBM, and we use XML, SOAP and JSON for the data, and we also use things like XSDs and WSDLs and we write very simple SQL queries.

    We don't use Java or any other "traditional" programming language and we don't use any DS&A, and the code we write is very simple.

    We're also using "Rational Team Concert" for source control which is something I had never heard of before.

    I'm starting to feel a little lost and I'm worried that the experience I'm gaining here isn't transferable to other jobs because it's specific to IBM's tools. I don't even know if I can really call myself a software developer because I feel like I'm not using a real programming language.

    Is this EAI field a good career path and does it have a future ? Am I wasting my time here or this really what software development is like? Should I keep looking for something else ?

    I could really use some guidance.

    submitted by /u/NamingFailure
    [link] [comments]

    What to do if you are 1 year after graduating and still don't have relevant work experience?

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 11:11 PM PDT

    I'm not 1 year out of graduation but I'm almost there. I ve been to a few companies and they ask for people at least under 6 months after graduating. I'm worried what to do after 1 year with no relevant work experience and I'm no longer considered a new grad. I have projects I'm not sure if it helped. I've been looking into volunteer work. Most of the available volunteer stuff that has something to do with coding available is remote ( I live in a rural area). I'm hoping that's still okay. Any other suggestions?

    submitted by /u/CSSnewgradthrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment