• Breaking News

    Saturday, April 6, 2019

    Resume Advice Thread - April 06, 2019 CS Career Questions

    Resume Advice Thread - April 06, 2019 CS Career Questions


    Resume Advice Thread - April 06, 2019

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 12:06 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to ask for resume advice and critiques. You should read our Resume FAQ and implement any changes from that before you ask for more advice.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Tuesday and Saturday at midnight PST. Previous Resume Advice Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - April 06, 2019

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I scraped data from the intern salary sharing threads and made a visualization out of it

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 10:12 AM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/WjV19xq.png

    So I was somewhat bored over spring break and I thought it would be fun to extract, clean, and display some of the salary data that's been accumulating over the years in the 'official salary sharing' threads. I also have a somewhat vested interest in interpreting this data, since I am a student myself and will be an intern this summer.

    Do note that this graph only shows salary data averaged across each company. Some companies only had one salary listed, and thus, may not be accurately represented by the salary sharing data. For example, Two Sigma is listed as over $80/hour because of one salary, but in reality, most interns will not get that (there was a bidding war for the person with said offer). If you are unsure of why something seems off, I would advise looking at the raw data below, since the graph was constructed from whatever is listed.

    I choose to ignore additional details like housing stipends and signing/relocation bonuses. Everything was converted to hourly rates by using the following metrics: 40 hours/week, 4.35 weeks/month, 52 weeks/year. matplotlib was used to plot the data.

    This was originally posted earlier under a different title, but I re-uploaded it after fixing a few things.

    Offer data in JSON format: https://pastebin.com/jUQB6bX4

    GitHub repository: https://github.com/dmhacker/cscq-salaries

    submitted by /u/dmhacker
    [link] [comments]

    Dont pigeon hole yourself or fall behind!

    Posted: 05 Apr 2019 11:06 PM PDT

    Just a reminder to all of you.

    If you have a great job, fantastic! Wanna stay there? Okay.

    But dont think it all cant change in an instant. I got comfortable in my current job. 7 hours a day, work from home and work when I want. Life was great!

    Was out partying, beach volleyball, hiking, social life was great!

    I never wanted to leave. I knew the tech was falling behind but I didnt care. Long story short, I fell asleep at the wheel.

    Everything changed at work. Managers left. Organizational change happened and now I am in a shitty environment that I want out of but Im finding a tough time getting out because my skills are WAY behind.

    So Im studying 3 hours a night for 2 months trying to get up to speed and I dont even know if it is enough. I cant wait to get out of this place every day I just think about quitting.

    Advice for all of you. Keep your eye on the market and setup interviews with companies. Just DABBLE YOUR TOES in the waters. It is good to have a wakeup call once in a while.

    And make sure you stay up to date. Take courses and study and ALWAYS be ready to leave in a moments notice.

    And if you are me, in a shit situation. Get out! This is my wakeup call to you.

    Happiness comes from progress and growth.

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/LeadFootSaunders
    [link] [comments]

    Company recinded offer after background check

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 07:10 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    Found myself in a really messed up situation. Recently I've been looking for a new job and after interviewing I managed to secure a role with 87k total compensation, which I'm happy with and is in line with market rates where I live. I did multiple rounds of interviews, tests and met with the COO. They were kind enough to agree to a 4 week start date which I used for personal time. I turned down 1 other offer (that was almost 7k higher salary and rebuffed many other interview requests after I received this offer. Contracts were signed.

    The week before I was set to start, on a Tuesday, HR sent me an online form to consent to a police check. I immediately panicked as this was never mentioned before, in any of the multiple interviews or on the contract. I had a record from 9 years ago for the charge of "obtaining property by deception" which is generic charge for many type of dishonesty/theft types of crimes. The record will be cleared towards the end of next year as they are cleared from public records after 10 years.

    Anyway I immediately disclosed this to HR and sent them a copy of a prior police check from 4 years ago...one of the managers called me and asked me to come in for a "conversation" and hinted it probably wouldn't be an issue. Anyway I came in and told them what the charge was about....I was honest and told them: credit card fraud........COO went completely 180 and was like sorry I can't touch that...hands tied.....financial crime.....we deal with many sensitive data....some of our clients are government agencies can you imagine if they found out we hired a guy that had this on his record.....i thought it might have been for selling stolen car parts or something (!!!)......"i know your a great guy"...is there anything i can do for you?....write a letter that says you passed our interviews with flying colors (wtf)....blah blah.....I was like ok cool, I understand your position, shaked hands and left. Inside i was fuming.....i was really banking/budgeting on starting this week and now I have to start from scratch.....

    If there's one thing I learnt here is i will never let the words "credit card fraud" slip from tongue again......from the way he reacted you would think the charge was attempted murder or something.

    on a personal note....man having a criminal record fucking sucks. some stupid shit i did 5 months after high school still haunting me 9 years later.......however somewhere deep down I am glad that this painful lesson happened at 18 and not 28....that would be a hell lot more devastating.

    Anyway my question is this even legal? if contracts are signed and no mention of police check anywhere?

    FYI even if it is illegal I have no intention on taking this further. I have no desire to be at a place where I'm not wanted. just curious.....would like to hear opinions if others had any similar experiences

    submitted by /u/Cheap_Cauliflower
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone here dealt with being let go?

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 09:24 AM PDT

    So , there's a feature at work that I was put in charge, and I had a meeting going through the implementation. However I seemed to screw up pretty badly and botched the presentation... I have bad anxiety and I was having trouble expressing some of my points when presenting to a large group of people, and I also didn't implement some of core components correctly, some of those senior devs had some issues with the way I did it. My boss emailed me after the meeting saying we need to talk in his office tomrrow, so I'm kind of afraid of being fired because of that. Has anyone gone through similar things and what did you do to improve from that?

    submitted by /u/throwaway12255555
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone else find it difficult to find a new job?

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 06:10 AM PDT

    I was hired at my current company in the Bay Area after interning during college, and I've been here for almost 4 years at this point. I've tried to find another job over the last couple of years, mostly to find a higher salary, since I believe I can get more elsewhere. I don't even remember how many companies I've interviewed at, but they included all the big names, and some smaller ones—I'd say probably a dozen or more in all. Out of all of them, I've only made it to the onsite for 4 companies, and only got an offer from one. The latter company was one of the first I interviewed at during this time, and I ended up not taking the offer for various reasons. But most companies, I don't even manage to make it past the phone screen.

    I know it's hard to judge oneself fairly and objectively, but I'm pretty confident in my technical ability, communication skills, and personability. This is also hard because companies rarely give detailed feedback, but I think I can tell when I don't do that well in a coding challenge, and when I did at least passably, if not well. But even when I think I do well, I don't get an offer. I might do better if I had time to practice coding challenges, but it's hard when I have a kid to take care of.

    And then I read about people that decide to switch jobs and get multiple offers at the same time with seeming ease, and I'm like who are these people? How is it so easy for them?

    I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else finds the interview process in the tech industry in Silicon Valley as difficult as I do. It's hard not to feel bitter, like there's a pervasive attitude that companies only want geniuses, and the cream of the crop. I don't know if there's some truth to that, or if I'm just not as competent as I think I am.

    submitted by /u/racec0nditi0n
    [link] [comments]

    Is culture fit bullshit?

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 04:01 PM PDT

    Seems like it to me. Seems like an "are you a neurotypical extrovert" test and it has nothing to do with programming. I don't want to drink beer with you, I don't want to play table tennis with you, I have diagnosed selective mutism and social phobia which don't affect my engineering skills at all and I can talk with you for hours about the minutiae of system design, but please don't ask me about my favorite hobbies because I will have a panic attack, and please don't expect me to speak up in casual non-work conversations because I legitimately have nothing to add that I feel comfortable sharing

    What does this have to do with whether I can deliver? Seems like a test to accommodate neurotypical people who can't handle other types of people to me

    submitted by /u/TimelyUse3
    [link] [comments]

    How do I know if I'll like software development or programing?

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 04:43 PM PDT

    Hello, really weird question but I always hear people say don't do this job for the money, but do it because you enjoy it. I've been thinking about pursuing a degree in cs but have no idea if I enjoy it because I don't really know all that much about computers lol. I know there's a lot to learn, but is there anything I can do to see if I like it?

    submitted by /u/tacopacc
    [link] [comments]

    For internships, does company name or what you learn there matter more?

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 01:19 PM PDT

    Is it better to intern at a well established, large company, but you don't learn as much at, or a startup with only 30-40 employees where you learn a lot more? I don't mean like Google or Facebook but companies like Cengage or Walmart.

    Which one will carry more weight in your getting your next internship or job?

    submitted by /u/efilstahw
    [link] [comments]

    HR staff tasked with the initial screening of a Junior Fullstack Developer, what is a good way to filter?

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 06:17 PM PDT

    I work in HR at a Fortune 500, non-tech company. I've been tasked with filtering through various resume for a Junior Fullstack Developer role. I'm suppose to go over these resumes with a Senior developer but he's too busy with his work and asked me to take charge of it, he's fine with someone with either a CS degree or a bootcamp grad from a list he's given me (these seem to be the top bootcamps).

    I've been skimming through resumes last week and I'm just not sure what the best approach is to filter candidates. I get a variety of resumes, those with a CS education, those without CS educations, bootcamps, etc. I find that the bootcamp grads have more polished resumes that hit all the criteria and keywords, and a lot of those with CS degrees have terrible resumes. However, I'm still a bit skeptical of choosing someone with a BS/BA in an unrelated degree + 3 months of coding over someone with a 4 year degree + internships.

    I'll probably call up a good mix of CS and bootcamp grads but anyone have any tips on how to best filter these resume, coming from a non technical background.

    submitted by /u/ComplexEntrance
    [link] [comments]

    Having a tough time getting that first dev job, anyone have any tips?

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 06:09 PM PDT

    So I've been in IT Support for about 2 years, but started self teaching, then last year quit my job to do a fulltime bootcamp in order to make a full career change.

    I'm currently located in Denver, and I've been sending applications left and right, reading about each company and crafting a unique and personable cover letter for each, but I have barely heard back from any at all, and if they do, it's mainly rejections.

    I have what I think is a pretty solid portfolio with some pretty solid projects, and have been practicing a lot of code challenge questions, but most of the time I don't get to use the skills since I can't even get to the first phone screen.

    Any hiring managers/ engineering leads here that could give me and others some tips on how to get that first hook?

    To add to this, I did have one interview that went really well. Aced the initial coding challenge, met the engineering manager, and then met the rest of the team, and had really good conversations with all of them. However, I haven't heard back since the last culture fit interview which was about a week and a half ago. Any idea what the average waiting time between the final culture fit interview and the rejection/offer? And would 2 weeks be too soon to follow up and touch base with the company?

    Thanks a lot!

    submitted by /u/TheMacallanCode
    [link] [comments]

    I'm uninterested in upcoming projects at work. Is this a bad reason to consider looking for other jobs?

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 07:19 AM PDT

    I've been at my first job out of college since early 2018. The company is really nice, it pays well, has good perks, and all of that. But I do not care at all about what the company does or the large projects coming up.

    Is this a bad reason to think about moving to another company?

    submitted by /u/TooSlowly111
    [link] [comments]

    I am a slow learner. Looking for some advice on how to succeed in this industry?

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 12:52 AM PDT

    (24 yr old Male Living in Sri Lanka)

    A brief history of my issue

    I am a very slow learner whenever I try to learn new information or a skill. I have been like this as long as I remember. First time I noticed this was by my inability to remember directions to a place even if I have travelled there a hundred times.

    I visited psychiatrists several times and they said I don't have any specific learning disability but does have some issues with memory.

    In high school, I could never keep up with the lessons in class. Teachers never understood and complained that I don't pay attention in class. I would go home and study on my own phase until I understood. I am creative and disciplined. I experiment with different learning techniques. Somehow I pulled through and got 3A's and a B in my AL's (Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths).

    Learning programming

    I'm in the third year of my Bachelor's degree and currently doing an internship as a software engineer in a good company.

    Conventional programming advice never worked for me. For example.

    It's a bad idea to memorize syntax. You can always refer to the documentation when needed. When you code long enough you will automatically remember the important syntax.

    For me, I don't remember anything unless I put a deliberate effort to do so. This is not just for programming but even for simple things like a cooking recipe. After months of no progress, I threw away the conventional advice and started using Anki (spaced repetition software)) to start memorizing the syntax I'm working with. I create flashcard decks for all the things I learn.

    https://imgur.com/h6mfope

    My flashcards are little snippets like this. (Just a basic example here)

    https://imgur.com/EnXKGkJ - Front

    https://imgur.com/Z5SDDXO - Back

    And for the first time in my life, I feel like what I learn sticks in my memory. I started using Anki when learning any new information including people's names.

    Understanding the existing code base

    This is the next problem I faced. Again the conventional wisdom is,

    When you work with a codebase you will be familiar with it. Use a decent IDE.

    Again this didn't work. I would never remember the methods or classes I work with. This means that I would also find it very hard to understand the programming logic used. At the end of the day, you have to remember some details about the code to understand it. I didn't know how else to tackle this. So, I used Anki again to remember the code I'm working with.

    https://imgur.com/Kwh2inw

    This felt excessive and people will say that it's a waste of time. But this is the only thing that has worked for me so far!

    I have low self-esteem because of my learning problems and feel alone, helpless and unsure about my future. There is no one to advise me on learning and succeeding with my specific problem. I have to figure everything out by trial and error as I did throughout my whole life. My life would not be easier if I choose another profession. Any profession would require to remember information in the short term and long term. I am not even sure what kind of advice I am looking for.

    I am disciplined, hardworking and creative. But I have this problem. And I tackle it with a weird way that no one else (that I know of) does. Will this work out? Or will I be overwhelmed? Even software engineers who don't have these issues sometimes fall behind and work extra hours to cover up. Will I even be able to survive in such an environment?

    submitted by /u/enzio901
    [link] [comments]

    Bay area new grad offer update

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 08:08 PM PDT

    I posted this a while ago here but since then, the company reached out to me and offered an additional 10k signing bonus. I've made my calculations but I'm hoping to get 2nd opinions from people. Here are the numbers:

    Base Salary: $96,000

    Relocation: $1000 + flight + 30 days temp housing

    Signing: $10,000

    Questions:

    1. Does this seem fair for a single, recent college grad in the bay area?
    2. What QOL can I expect given this compensation? (Living situation, disposable income, etc.)
    3. Any other thoughts?
    submitted by /u/lestrata
    [link] [comments]

    How can I make a transition from BI Dev to SWE?

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 07:53 PM PDT

    I'm approaching 2 years experience at a non-tech company doing BI dev work. I don't have a CS degree.

    The work I've been doing is mostly database related but none of it is distributed, it's all single server RDBMS stuff.

    I want to switch over to SWE if possible, I think I could hack it - I've been doing a lot of Leetcode in the past couple of months - I've completed 140 easy, 115 medium, 20 hard. Not saying that software engineering is solving these riddles, but I do feel like I'd be able to pass some technical interviews.

    Does anyone have any advice on making this switch? What can I do to increase my chances of getting a phone interview (short of an internal referral)? This would be my second job - will I even hear back from most companies?

    submitted by /u/throwaway0891245
    [link] [comments]

    Can’t seem to land an internship in junior year of college.

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 07:46 PM PDT

    Through college I've only had a job in retail aside from one small internship that lasted 3 months. This internship in hindsight was interesting to say the least since I was the only employee and my employer had no funding.

    Aside from this I've applied to multiple internships and have had a couple online assessments. Every time I take one though I freeze up and completely bomb it.

    I also don't know how to build a solid portfolio and don't know what technologies I should be focused on for an internship. I recently started trying to learn the MEAN stack but don't know what a good "portfolio project" would look like.

    I guess what I'm asking is: 1. How do I not bomb online technical assessments? 2. How do I build/what do I include in a portfolio?

    submitted by /u/Rcuzzi
    [link] [comments]

    How can you tell if your skills are falling behind the industry?

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 07:28 AM PDT

    I've seen talk about how it's important to keep up with new languages/frameworks/tools. I'm about to graduate and I have no clue how to tell when I'll be falling behind.

    How can you tell? Do you have to constantly be reading articles on the next big thing and then try to learn it? I've spent a lot of time chasing buzzwords but was it a waste of time?

    For some context I know the languages Java, C, Python, JS, SQL and frameworks/tools React, Redux, React Native, NodeJs, Android/iOS, Docker, Hadoop, Django. I also have done work in ML. I feel like a lot of this is pretty modern stuff, but how can I tell when these tools are outdated? I feel like a hamster running on a wheel.

    submitted by /u/ReverseTheKirs
    [link] [comments]

    I'm not sure if I want to continue with my CS Degree

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 07:01 PM PDT

    I'm currently in my second year of my Computer Science degree, and I've been thinking about leaving the program. It's not because I don't like the field of computer science, I'd actually say the opposite. Over the last few months in particular, I've been spending more and more time learning on my own and working on a medium-sized full stack web application using React and Express. Over the last couple weeks in particular, I've been learning new web development topics at the expense of my actual college classes; I've had two instances of having assignments due at midnight, but I just didn't bother completing them because learning topics I chose just felt more important and fun. Looking back, I feel indifferent whether that was a stupid decision or not, because I enjoy learning on my own, and I know what I'm learning will help me in the future. With my classes however, I really don't like trying to absorb information through a lecture, I learn much better when I'm working with the concepts rather than having them explained to me. For example, right now I'm going through software design course that teaches design patterns, which is all well and good. The instructor however isn't the greatest explainer, and I felt I haven't learned much in the class. Just recently within the past couple weeks, I've started to learn design patterns on my own, as I have of project idea that I know will use design pattern heavily. To frame it in another way, I just feel much more motivated to learn something when I know I'll need to use it immediately rather than learning from a course with the intention to use it in the future or in a related assignment. Assignments, to me, are not fun; they feel like busy work and don't seem practical. I know I'm taking this degree to learn the fundamentals and theory, but I feel once I get past all the high-level concepts, diving into the low-level topics on my own will be far more beneficial than course lectures.

    Yeah I kind of wrote a lot of shit down, my bad. But that's just how I feel, and I'm not sure what to do about it. I'm thinking about just finishing the semester strong and trying to do some freelancing making web applications (maybe using Upwork?), as I feel very confident in my abilities after I finished the project I talked about above. I'm 90% sure I have an internship lined up with Quicken Loans this summer, which I will no doubt take advantage of. After the summer though...not sure if I want to try taking a year off of college, try out freelancing and doing some projects, and try applying to some companies to see if any bite.

    TL;DR I want to leave college when this semester ends because I enjoy learning on my own and I think I'm capable of freelancing, not sure if it's a good idea.

    submitted by /u/FromAroundTheWay
    [link] [comments]

    Did anyone graduate from Pace University in CS?

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 06:37 PM PDT

    It seems like I'm going to go to Pace for CompSci and just wondering what people's thoughts are on it?

    submitted by /u/FaithisVictory
    [link] [comments]

    I'm 34 years old and looking to transition into software engineering. I have a B.M. & M.M. in Music (Composition - Jazz focus). What would be the best path to transition into this field?

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 11:02 AM PDT

    A little bit of background to provide context:

    - I have a unicorn job in the music industry. I don't know when it will end, but I do know that it will end, and likely sooner rather than later. Live music is (sadly) a dying and over-saturated industry, and I'm not likely to find another job like the one I have, even if I wanted it. I'm trying to give myself 2-3 years of study/preparation to land a job in software engineering.

    - I've independently studied coding for a while - mainly Objective C and "Full-Stack" web development, but my chops are probably a bit rusty since it's been over a year now. I do enjoy coding a lot; I've just kept it on the backburner.

    - As I mentioned, I already have a Masters degree, although not in CS. If a degree program is an optimal choice to enter the industry strong, I'd rather not have to go back and waste my time/money with core studies.

    - I'm interested in web/app development, software development (especially music-related software), and game development.

    Some questions for those in the know:

    - Online CS Degree (MS, if possible), Local College CS Degree (UNLV, in my case), or Online Bootcamp (looking at Lambda, Hack Reactor, & Flatiron since they seem to provide at least some fundamental CS education, not just coding)?

    - What field are you in, and what has your experience been like?

    - Do you see it providing some modicum of stability for the foreseeable future (I have a family, so I'm thinking of stability as a key ingredient here)?

    - What specialties/focuses within the CS field seem the most promising for future growth/stability?

    I know that's a lot to ask, so please feel free to answer as much or as little as you would like. I'm just in the process of doing my due diligence before I decide on one track for certain. Thank you for your help.

    submitted by /u/natekmusic
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any courses anyone can recommend for AWS that would look good to employers?

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 09:43 AM PDT

    I was laid off a while back and I need to start adding constructive items to my resume. Also, a ton of the people i've been interested in have been looking for people with aws experience. My previous job provided none, so this is an area I only have an outside understanding of. There any kind of courses or certifications I could spend time going for that I can drop on a resume and actually be constructive?

    submitted by /u/rafikiknowsdeway1
    [link] [comments]

    I made a remote control solution with .NET Core. Where to find jobs doing stuff like this?

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 02:40 PM PDT

    Hi, all!

    I've been a .NET developer professionally for about 4 years now. Most of it has been related to enterprise line-of-business apps and such. Before that, I had about 9 years in IT operations and support (the latter years being in systems analyst roles).

    Recently, I made an open-source remote control and command solution with .NET Core and SignalR (links below if anyone's interested). This is the kind of stuff that I really enjoy doing.

    Are there .NET jobs out there that are particularly focused on making IT-related tools? Any advice on where to apply?

    I've tried seeking out RMM software companies, but haven't had much luck yet. I'm not able to relocate due to family/kids, and there isn't much going on where I live except government positions.

    Thanks!

    Repo: https://github.com/jay-rad/remotely

    Website: https://remotely.lucency.co

    submitted by /u/PressKeysMakeWords
    [link] [comments]

    What are rising (or existing companies) with interest in space-flight?

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 02:22 PM PDT

    I am set to start a new job as a software engineer but I realized (perhaps too late) I would definitely want to be working in the space industry. Apart from boeing and lockhead (which I never got an interview from), what are other companies or startups in the spaceflight/satellite industry worth looking into for this upcoming year?

    submitted by /u/aSmoreFromLore
    [link] [comments]

    I think my salary requirement was too low?

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 06:04 PM PDT

    I recently verbally (haven't gotten a written offer yet) accepted a job offer as a development officer. When asked what my salary range was in the initial phone interview I told them $40-$50K which I now think is too low. Based on what I've researched I should have asked for about 60K. I just didn't want to say something too high and not be considered since it is nonprofit work. When I got the job offer, they offered me $50K right off the bat, and now I'm thinking my range was way too low for the position if I didn't even have to negotiate to the top of my range. That being said, I was told I was the top candidate and everyone I interviewed with was very impressed by me so maybe they just wanted to give me the best offer, but I think that would be naive of me to assume. I also looked on Glass Door and it says an employee reported that the position pays $39K, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. How am I supposed to know if I asked enough for my salary? It's hard to know how much development jobs pay since every organization is so different. Also, would it be too late to ask for a higher amount, or should I accept the written offer and hope that I will get a raise later on? Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/Nmw318
    [link] [comments]

    Why do companies need Junior Developers?

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 05:55 PM PDT

    I'm a soon-to-be Jr. Developer myself (I'm on an internship rn) and as I gear up my portfolio to start applying to jobs, and as I hear more about what Juniors actually have to know (which is actually a little less than I expected)... why do companies need us? Naturally I'm not complaining because it's a job for me to break into the industry and make a good living for myself, but why do they need us? We're essentially people that are pretty green to a technology (compared to mid-level or senior developers) and we know how to do enough to be functional. I hear alot of Seniors on this subreddit say that it's a part of their job to make sure that the Juniors grow, and have received advice that we should ask tons of questions, but... that can't be it? You hire a bunch of greenhorns for 50-90k a year who know way less than your other employees just so they can get their foot in the door at their first tech job and learn? That's nice in thought an all, but I'm just used to hanging around r/LateStageCapitalism and r/HailCorporate and that just seems like too wholesome of a reason for a corporation to do anything lol. I'm sure there are tons of reasons that I, a greenhorn, am not seeing, but could anyone here explain it to me?

    submitted by /u/CaliBounded
    [link] [comments]

    Recruiting for 2020 Season

    Posted: 06 Apr 2019 05:33 PM PDT

    Is it possible to start recruiting for the 2020 season or when would be a good time to do so? I got into a 5th year masters program and last year got stuck with an internship offer deadline that really dampered the recruiting timeline so I'd like to be more prepared and earlier this time. Would it be good to reach out to recruiters early? If they say no, you would still have an "in" relationship that you could use when recruiting season starts, right? Is it better to reach out via LinkedIn or email?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/apqwer
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment