• Breaking News

    Friday, April 12, 2019

    Over 2GB of FREE high quality SFX (215 .wav) for your next project! (Cinematic, Sci-Fi, Horror, Foley, Field Recordings)

    Over 2GB of FREE high quality SFX (215 .wav) for your next project! (Cinematic, Sci-Fi, Horror, Foley, Field Recordings)


    Over 2GB of FREE high quality SFX (215 .wav) for your next project! (Cinematic, Sci-Fi, Horror, Foley, Field Recordings)

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 07:52 AM PDT

    Pickable/Interactive objects shader (full source in the comments)

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 12:57 AM PDT

    Salary/benefits breakdown for devs in 2019!

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 06:16 AM PDT

    Hi everyone - I did a survey for the games industry and got almost 1,000 responses so have managed to put together a pretty darn comprehensive breakdown of what's going on in 2019!

    There's a blog that give you an overview (so not just for developers) but there are 3 dedicated pages of the report to programmers/developers (p14-16) so I'll put the links for both below. Let me know if you have any questions or even have any suggestions for questions for next year!

    Blog - https://www.skillsearch.com/news/item/games-and-interactive-salary-satisfaction-survey

    Report - https://www.skillsearch.com/assets/Games_and_Interactive_Salary_and_Satisfaction_Survey_2019.pdf

    submitted by /u/Catulator-
    [link] [comments]

    What game genre requires the most programming and least art assets?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 10:19 AM PDT

    Im wondering if there is an interesting and still popular game genre that requires a lot more programming that art. Id like to speed up my programming skills, but currently i find myself messing around with art too often and not do enough coding.

    submitted by /u/EntBird
    [link] [comments]

    Released Opensource Engine Using Ogre3D

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 08:15 AM PDT

    I've spent a few years working on a game engine based on Orgre3D. I had to stop working on it awhile back, and thought I would go a head and put it up on github. It's based on Orgre 1.9, but I'm sure it would be useful still. It has a LOT of features, and I will document it as I have time, but a few things that I remember is: plugin system, asset tool manager, integrated with; Hydra, ODE, Bullet, Caelum, MyGUI, Raknet, C#/Lua interface as well. It's split up into a few repos, but the 'CoreEngine' is the main one. Have a look if anyone is interested. Also, there are other open source projects in there that I've integrated, so its not all from me.

    I didn't add (many) assets, so when running demos, or the engine in general, you'll need to add some.

    Here's the engine:
    https://github.com/shanefarris/CoreGameEngine

    Some custom tools, including the asset manager, was very important back when I was working on this:
    https://github.com/shanefarris/CoreTools

    Dependencies for the engine, and I think some tools as well:
    https://github.com/shanefarris/CoreDependencies

    Demos, PoCs that I swear worked, if they don't, you'll need to add assets:
    https://github.com/shanefarris/CoreDemo

    Have fun!

    submitted by /u/shanefarris
    [link] [comments]

    Indie Boost

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 09:39 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    Has anyone here used this service?
    It sounds like a great way to put a game in front of influencers.
    Thoughts? Feedback?

    submitted by /u/donjaket
    [link] [comments]

    How Punishment Systems Hurt Gameplay

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 08:18 AM PDT

    Large Unity Code Dump

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 12:37 AM PDT

    Greetings, fellow devs.

    Recently, I decided to open-source a collection of software that a colleague and I have written (and generalized). All of it was originally written to run in a Unity environment, though it could be adapted for any context. A wide, ecclectic variety of features are covered by this code, because it has been used in at least a dozen different neuroscience projects. Chief among them, perhaps, is an application funded by the VA system to allow General Practitioners to administer more robust and modern hearing tests for Veterans. As such, there are a number of auditory stimulus synthesis features, but don't be deterred, there is something of value here for everyone.

    The BGC Tools Repository

    If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them in the comments. We have attached the MIT license to our code, so do with it what you please, we just hope it will prove useful to some people. We intend to expand the documentation and features over time, but it is probably already in a state where it can be useful.

    • TASagent
    submitted by /u/TASagent
    [link] [comments]

    Video Comparator (Free app to compare two videos)

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 05:53 AM PDT

    XP and sell value formula?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 06:18 AM PDT

    Hello! I could do with some help of understanding and coming up with an XP/sell value formula for my game.

    XP System

    XP is gained from…
    - Completing dungeons

    - Killing mobs

    Five dungeons, five difficulties each dungeon. Twenty-five dungeons total.

    Exponential leveling means players would have to complete a dungeons difficulty multiple times before unlocking the next (preferably). This is to make the game grindy and collect more loot before moving onto the next difficulty.

    Item Sell Value

    Players get one item randomly at the end of each dungeon (unless playing on the fifth difficulty in which case they'd get two), this item will be scaled to the difficulty of the dungeon.
    Items consist of…
    - Consumables

    - Armor

    - Weapons
    These items sell values needs to exponentially scale with the game and have a level requirement that makes sense also.

    If anyone can tell me how I'd figure this out that would be great. I'm not super intelligent and I'm completely new to this. If there's some magic online calculator for this type of thing that'd be super helpful right now.

    submitted by /u/Sixbits
    [link] [comments]

    Any need some video game music?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 10:18 AM PDT

    Hey there! I'll make some music for your video game, DM me for details. I specialize in EDM, but I can adapt to your needs :)

    submitted by /u/Energ1zed
    [link] [comments]

    I used Unity3D C# code to compile a commandline program for my chess sandbox AI game. Here's a tutorial about how I designed my test suite, its development history, and TDD.

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 06:30 AM PDT

    Here's the video. It's also part of a larger playlist called ChessCraft - How It's Made. I'd be really happy to talk about any part of game development here since this is a complete project - software design, TDD, graphic design (sprites, marketing, video), computer science, AI. Also, the code you see in the video is shared under the MIT license.

    Let me know what you think!

    submitted by /u/Zulban
    [link] [comments]

    Twisted Toroid RayMarching Tutorial

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 10:11 AM PDT

    What a cool ride! I think we could be friends... puff! :´(

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 09:00 AM PDT

    Making a game

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 11:58 AM PDT

    i wanted to make a game when you fuse two things to get another

    can someone help me? i have no experience in game making

    submitted by /u/zaxszxa
    [link] [comments]

    C++, only do something when object is deleted, not when copied.

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 11:54 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I have a class named Texture2D, and an empty class named RendererTexture. Texture2D uses the class RendererTexture to communicate with the renderer. RendererTexture is a handle, it doesn't contain code.

    Currently when I copy one Texture2D to another Texture2D, the destructor of the old Texture2D get's called because the old Texture2D get's removed(it's created in a function). This causes RenderTexture to be deleted because it think's it's not neccesery anymore. But it is as it got copied.

    So I need a way to only delete RendererTexture when it isn't used anywhere.(So it should still exist when copied) Normally, I'd use smart pointers for this. But my RendererTexture class doesn't contain anything(and it isn't meant to). So I need another way to solve it.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/timl132
    [link] [comments]

    With all of the controversy behind game studios, is it really worth it to land a career in game development?

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 11:53 AM PDT

    Procedural Generation in Gamemaker (x-post r/gamemaker)

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 11:49 AM PDT

    Hey guys!

    I wanted to share a write-up that I just finished putting together that goes in depth into some procedural generation code that I wrote for a hobby project that I'm working on. Essentially, the code fills a room with trees and rocks, but in such a way that they cluster to form "forests" and "quarries", while having a pretty even distribution across the span.

    The posts explore my thinking when trying to make this sort of thing for the first time. It's written, hopefully, so that even complete beginners can follow along, as I go through the meat of the script almost line by line.

    Part 1

    Part 2

    To all my fellow Gamemaker users out there, I hope you find this insightful, and to anyone who reads through it, any suggestions or questions would be great!

    Edit: Also not sure if article or tutorial is more accurate.

    submitted by /u/ndcheezit
    [link] [comments]

    I am having trouble with WOLF RPG Editor

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 11:43 AM PDT

    I downloaded the program from a slightly shady website because I didn't want to pay 70 dollars for RPG Maker MV when I am not even sure if I will ever make anything that can be sold as an actual product.

    I was hoping to make a game inspired by the Shinto mythology and Buddhism I had spent years learning about.

    I even managed to make a few sprites but not any walking animations, unfortunately, (that part is a little bit too much for me).

    Here is a little ghost boy using an attack I had the idea for a somewhat smallish world with more of a focus on the story and each story was meant to be didactic in nature with a bit of humor added in. Essentially I was going to have a quest system.

    So,I managed to make a few maps but now an error message comes up when I want to play-test the maps, and the kicker is that the error message is in Japanese. I think I must have done something to the frame-rate the program didn't like, but I have no idea how to fix it. I deciphered the error message in the manual using Google Translate if you are wondering.

    Still figuring out the event system.

    Might have to buy the real RPG maker instead of this freeware.

    submitted by /u/TheGoldenWhale1995
    [link] [comments]

    Tools for prototyping 2D platformer in Unity

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 11:30 AM PDT

    Looking to get a prototype going for my metroidvania. What are some good tools to use for this?

    submitted by /u/J_Winn
    [link] [comments]

    AI Emergent Behaviour Simulation: Swarm (Code in Comments)

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 05:22 AM PDT

    Just looking for a little bit of advice

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 10:56 AM PDT

    Sorry for painting with a broad brush in that title, however, I've always wanted to begin into game development and I'm currently without a PC, I do have my eyes on a PC to get. Do you guys have any recommendations on what software is the best to start out learning? I keep getting told that unreal engine is a good program to get your footing in. However after watching tutorial videos, it seems like an absolute beast(in an intimidating and great way) so I'm just looking to see what you guys recommend? I'm currently only in possession of an iPad lol that's really my only means to try anything. So if there's any apps checking out in the mean time of getting a PC that's helpful as well!

    submitted by /u/zaboomaboob
    [link] [comments]

    Physic based couch multiplayer - your opinion

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 10:42 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment