• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 25, 2019

    Interview Discussion - April 25, 2019 CS Career Questions

    Interview Discussion - April 25, 2019 CS Career Questions


    Interview Discussion - April 25, 2019

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 12:06 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions about interviews, interviewing, and interview prep. Posts focusing solely on interviews created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Monday and Thursday at midnight PST. Previous Interview Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - April 25, 2019

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 12:06 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How I went from $14hr to 70k with no experience

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 04:35 PM PDT

    I started off living in the Midwest, I knew nothing about IT and made $14 an hour as a contractor doing armed security work. Before that I was a failed real estate agent (being 18 when I tried real estate probably didn't help..)

    I'm now 23, I have no college degree and went straight from the security industry into a cloud position making $70,000 a year in a low cost of living area. I had to move for this job offer, though I had multiple offers across the USA.

    I've had offers from Minneapolis for 72k, Austin for 74k, Tulsa for 65k, and accepted a job offer in Raleigh for 70k.

    Before we go any further, if you are not in a "tech" area and want to accomplish this, plan to move.

    Anyways, how did I do it? I started off studying what industry I wanted to be in and what's popular. It ended up being the "cloud". The good thing? It pays a lot, even if your new. The bad? It can be hard to get hired as a noob in the IT world starting at the cloud...UNLESS you take the correct steps.

    Step 1: Prove my knowledge in various ways. How did I do this? First thing I did was self study and grab 3 certifications.

    1. AWS Solutions Architect Associate
    2. AWS SysOps Administrator Associate
    3. AWS Certified Developer Associate

    It took me 87 days to get all 3 of these certifications. After that, I needed to prove my knowledge in a real world way since I knocked the paper certifications out of the way.

    I did 2 Cloud AWS projects, one was a chat bot integrated into Facebook messenger that has automatic responses I built using Amazon Lex.

    The second project was more on the infrastructure side of things.

    Both were pretty simple projects for the most part.

    Step 2: Establish credibility. I started a YouTube channel where I created AWS Cloud tutorials and even showed how to do some things like building the chat bot, hosting websites using s3, explaining what route53 is and the differences between all the options, etc.

    After this, I grabbed 1 more certification. I went ahead and passed the CompTIA Security+ certification so I could open the door to government jobs, though I didn't end up at a government job. It only took 11 days, so it wasn't too big of a deal.

    After this I created a resume using one of the top formats posted on Reddit and updated all my LinkedIn information. I turned my status to searching for opportunities and started reaching out to recruiters and applying to jobs in cities across the United States.

    For specific areas I loved, I created a phone number using that area code and used it on that resume. At one point, I had 5 identical resumes but with different telephone numbers and used each one according to the city I was applying to.

    After doing this, I started getting job offers. This path is much much better than help desk and can slingshot you forward in your career. I had no connections in this industry, no prior experience, and no college degree.

    Like I said, I received multiple offers, it's not easy, but it's possible.

    Look for jobs titled: Jr devops DevOps 1 AWS Engineer Cloud Support Engineer Hell, I even got an SOC analyst offer in the cyber security space.

    Study materials: For the AWS certs I used LinuxAcademy and aCloudGuru, as well as reading white papers.

    For CompTIA Security+ I used professor messers YouTube video series and also bought a cheap study guide to supplement it.

    submitted by /u/LottaCloudMoney
    [link] [comments]

    No offer letter without verbal acceptance! :O

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 10:29 AM PDT

    I was working through a third party recruiter to interview at a company. The recruiter says the company wants a verbal 'Yes' from me before giving me an offer. I wanted to evaluate/compare and think through the written offer before going forward and giving my acceptance. Has anyone experienced this before ?

    Follow up: Should I negotiate the salary before/after the formal written offer?

    submitted by /u/AlwaysAnAddiction
    [link] [comments]

    How do I make the most of a work-paid developer conference?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 08:27 AM PDT

    In the near future, I'll be attending a well-known conference held by a Big 4 company. It's completely paid for by my own company and I want to make the most of it. Anyone have advice for me?

    submitted by /u/Full-time-swe
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a 22 year old looking for full time employment

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 10:31 AM PDT

    I recently interviewed at a small company. They sent me an offer letter for 46k I'm in an expensive area as well. I would basically be running their IT department. I have a good GPA and good SQL skills. Is this salary insulting? The average computer science major salary says 65k.

    submitted by /u/SirSloth
    [link] [comments]

    Am I being ghosted by a company that is trying to hire me?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 09:47 AM PDT

    I recently accepted my first full-time offer for a large multinational pharm company. I've been in the hiring process for a bit now, and have completed everything required promptly. My last contact with a hiring agent was 8 days ago for what I believe to be minor: verifying my education. I sent my transcript and was told that they would reach back out to me when the adjudication team is done reviewing it. I haven't heard back. 2 days ago, which was 6 days after our last contact, I briefly asked a followup question about relocation assistance and asked if things were moving along or if I need to send anything further. Still no response.

    Am I freaking out because this is my first job and this is all normal, or am I rightly concerned? The job offer was relatively short notice from when the start date is, June 3, so in order to be prepared to move I went ahead and found an apartment to live at and have already signed the lease. I'd hate to be ghosted and have to pay to get out of the lease on top of starting my job search all over again..

    submitted by /u/turtbot
    [link] [comments]

    When should I start applying (Graduating Dec '19 looking for Full-Time).

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 08:44 AM PDT

    Hello. I have an internship lined up this summer with a Big N. I then have one semester to finish up in school and then I graduate. My buddy who works at this Big N Full-Time says at the end of the summer I'll probably be offered Full Time and they'll only give me a few weeks (2-3) to accept. Obviously I want to be able to have other options for negotiation power, or who knows maybe I won't like my internship.

    My question is what should be doing to prepare for the period in which I'll have to make a decision to accept/decline my Full-Time offer.

    Should I just start applying to other companies right now for Full Time after this next semester?

    Do I mention where I'm working this summer, I find that odd to include on my resume when I haven't start/done anything there yet.

    Do I try to find recruiters emails - attach my resume - explain where I'm working this summer but I'm interested in interviewing for Full-Time as soon as my internship ends?

    I want to have as many competing offers in the Fall as I can manage but I'm not sure how to get these interviews lined up so close to each other, usually it takes some time for the company to get back to you. What are your thoughts/recommendations?

    submitted by /u/AdvancedHelicopter
    [link] [comments]

    Just canceled my codementor account, alternatives ?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 06:01 PM PDT

    I've had it for a couple of years and in those years it has been nothing but trouble, spam emails and horrible customer service, the last drop was some prescreening code reviews and projects they wanted me to do, anyways, I really liked the core concept ( on demand coding mentorship) and had 2 session way back when I started, just think they are clueless, so is there anything similar out there ?

    submitted by /u/econoDoge
    [link] [comments]

    Should I accept a director position at my company or run like Hell?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 09:06 AM PDT

    To begin with, I have worked for my current company for the past 5 years, straight out of college, working my way from intern, to developer, to team lead. We were bought out a couple years ago by a massive multi billion dollar company whose entire business model appears to be buying struggling companies and refitting them. Over the course of those two years, we have lost about 60% of our workforce, including our director of development who was let go 5 months ago. Since then I've been handed more and more of his former responsibilities, I'm currently the only team lead in our dev department. This means I have a number of people already reporting to me, but also a number of other, more senior, developers who do not report to me and don't actually report to anyone directly except our VP since they lack a director.

    As of Friday I informed my VP that I was looking at an offer made to me by another company, and he responded by telling me I had been getting all that new responsibility in an attempt to groom me for the director position. I do actually believe him when he says this, as I was previously given an invitation to go to the holding company's "leadership conference", among other hints from a number of conversations we've had over the past 3 months. My counter offer consisted of being told I would be promoted to director in 6 months or so, while being trained up until that time, and a raise that would put me $2k above what the other company is offering.

    The new job makes b2b products and already has a number of large players in their field hiring them with a couple even larger ones allegedly in talks with them. Meanwhile my current company is currently debating killing several of our old products and designing new ones for fear that we're not going to be able to compete in our old market. The company I'm looking to work at is working on implementing an equity bonus system for all employees in the next year or so. My parent company will sell stock to employees at market price. The new company has worse health insurance and benefits, but a number of friends working there are convinced it's going to get better soon. My current company has hired some new support people, and has asked me to hire a couple new devs, but I am also aware that our most senior remaining dev is actively looking for a new position elsewhere, which would leave me "directing" two entirely new guys, along with a handful of interns and a fresh-out-of-college junior dev. Additionally, and very worryingly, the sales team has entirely vanished. Completely gone. Now they send professional services people out to do demos and attend conferences to sell our software. When asked about this, we've been told we plan to get some marketing interns.

    I turned in my resignation yesterday, to which my VP asked that I have at least one more conversation with him before I make it official, which I did today. Mostly he spent that time telling me that it looked like the company I was considering moving to was maneuvering itself to sell, that it was a shame that I would give up a directorship for a non-managerial role, and generally that it would be a bad idea. The one thing that stood out to me was a sort of middle-ground solution of staying on for 6-to-12 months for the experience before moving elsewhere, and that if I had been offered a job at one of the big five, he would just be wishing me luck, that the only reason he wasn't was because he feared I was moving into a trap working for a small but active newer company with stiff competition. That smells like emotional manipulation to me, but I've always been an optimist and don't like to assume that's what this is.

    Basically, my question is this. If I do enjoy my managerial role, but also want to stay sharp and competitive, would taking the hit to my "rank" be in my best interests? Or would it be better to stick it out with what feels to me like a failing company for experience to leverage elsewhere?

    submitted by /u/theucm
    [link] [comments]

    How to start in embedded programming?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 05:45 PM PDT

    Current freshman CS student. Been learning Java and Python, and i was wondering if embedded stuff could an interesting route to pursue.

    I was thinking of learning some C/C++ and putting together a circuit board w/ some micro-processor and LED's to make simple little images with it. Im open minded to other project ideas as well.

    What do you think?

    submitted by /u/CoolAnon
    [link] [comments]

    What to do when recruiters contact you for positions your unqualified for?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 11:07 AM PDT

    As the title says. Internal recruiters occasionally send me emails for positions I'm clearly unqualified for, requiring things like 4+ years of experience, experience hiring tech people, etc., when my profile clearly lists me as an entry level person.

    submitted by /u/birbword
    [link] [comments]

    So I landed a role as production support and i have some questions

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 12:56 PM PDT

    So I have a job offer as production support with a major bank and I have a few questions.

    What do they mean when they say it's a non production environment?

    As someone coming from the .net MVC stack what do I need to look at

    Is there any general advice for going into this role?

    submitted by /u/Evil-Toaster
    [link] [comments]

    How/Where to find affordable 3 month stays in Sunnyvale California

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 12:51 PM PDT

    Sorry if this is not the right place to ask this, but I didn't know anywhere else so... I got an internship position in a startup there, and I was trying to find a place to stay but everything on internet which comes up with a Google search seems to be way out of my budget... Just wondering if anyone had an idea of finding out cheap places for students

    submitted by /u/FireBender14
    [link] [comments]

    Boss and I are the only two devs, feeling pressure to work faster

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 11:39 AM PDT

    We work at a non-tech company of 200-400 people and we maintain the intranet that the employees use. It's built on a clunky CMS and it's really like a collection of 25+ web pages. Since I've started I've worked on a bunch of projects (about 2-3 week sprints) and the occasional small project, and in both scenarios I've mostly been the sole dev.

    During a stand up where I discussed my current project my boss said he's a little concerned with the rate in which I'm working on it. I've been coding for a little over a year and I've been at this job for a pretty short time, and I'm trying to work on tasks in a timely matter while trying not to stress out.

    But I can't help it. Two devs is not enough to maintain an intranet and the work and deadlines have been making me anxious. If I were more experienced I could've taken on more tasks to lessen my boss's workload, but I can't which has also been getting to me.

    Were any of you in similar situations as juniors or new grads?

    I'm strongly considering job hunting in a few months. It's worth mentioning that I'm paid far below the market rate for my area, and I highly doubt I'll get a raise any time soon.

    submitted by /u/symbiosa
    [link] [comments]

    What could be my specialization?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 03:04 PM PDT

    I am a new grade SWE starting my first job in June.

    In college, I just tried many things from web dev to ML/AI.

    Wasn't a fan of low-level programming, but I felt these are still important.

    Now that I am about to finish my school, I feel like building a firm software that solves some real-world problem is something that I enjoy. But I think this is too vague, even for me. I mainly do full-stack development and the technologies that I use depend on what task I am working on (ML could be used or not).

    How can I define my specialization in this case? Is this just general software engineering? I heard that we all need some kind of area that we are good at (better than others) to stand out in the industry, but I still don't know how to define my strength.

    Any inputs from more experienced SWEs out there?

    submitted by /u/JakubJancto
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking advice on what path I should take

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 01:20 PM PDT

    I am a 25 year old American woman moving to the Northwest of England soon (Liverpool/Manchester area). I have a bachelor's degree in digital media and computer science and have experience interning at a creative agency (mainly doing animations with Maya and AfterEffects, and working on Wordpress sites) for 6 months. After that, I taught children how design, code and other computer skills for 2 years. (Augmented reality, virtual reality, Unity, 3d printing and a large variety of other things.)

    I love art and computers and want to incorporate both my artistic talents and programming knowledge into a career. I am also aware, however, that my skills are very broad and I have trouble finding my niche.

    I enjoy being an educator, and while I am currently doing freelance tutoring to make some extra money while I wait for my UK visa to be approved, I would like to work in "industry" and work on bigger projects. I am currently conflicted as to whether I want to be a graphic designer, a front-end developer, a UX designer or a Unity developer.

    I am leaning towards either UX work or Unity work, as I feel confident that either path could help me grow the most. I would appreciate advice from anyone who has worked in these fields. Bonus points if you're familiar with the UK and what it's like working there! I've heard exciting things about the Baltic Triangle area in Liverpool.

    submitted by /u/jcling
    [link] [comments]

    I was emailed screening questions from a Northrop Grumman recruiter. Does this mean anything?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 11:51 AM PDT

    I applied for a Northrop Grumman position. A few days later a recruiter emailed some questions. Like why I want a new position, when I'm available for an interview, am I willing to relocate etc... This was on Tuesday (4/23/2019). Today is Thursday 4/25/2019. Does this mean anything? If I don't hear back, does that mean they're not really interested? Thank you.

    submitted by /u/tootoobaby12
    [link] [comments]

    Switching from different 'areas' with a comp sci degree

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 04:45 PM PDT

    I'm just wondering if it's ideal or realistic to do so! Right now, I'm really interested in software development and love the career prospects of a web dev. But I'm unsure if I'll be doing it for 50 years of my life. What if I find machine learning interesting? AI? GIS? , etc.

    Do people usually do drastic switches like this? Wouldn't it be hard to know the math needed for things like AI/machine learning when you are out of Uni and your in your 40s?

    submitted by /u/badboyzpwns
    [link] [comments]

    Fall 2019 swe internship applications repo?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 07:58 PM PDT

    Is there an existing GitHub repo /similar document that lists companies currently hiring fall interns? I know there was one for summer 2019, but I'm not sure if anyone made one for fall since it's a less popular season.

    submitted by /u/theyoungkai
    [link] [comments]

    Need help preparing for new job. Tech Analyst at BoA.

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 07:55 PM PDT

    Offer mention Technology Analyst for the Development Team. Interview was half behavior, half coding/concepts. Im an IS major so that was a relief. From the sound of it, I will go around projects to projects. The salary is on-par/above avg with SWE new-grad in the same city. This is what scared me.. I think I lucked out and somehow end up in a development team and i get a much higher wage?

    The offer range before the interview was 10-20k lower than what was given to me. I even mention that i was not great at coding and i believe any cs student should have an edge over me in that perspective(Im an honest interviewee). However I told them I was coach-able and want to learn as much as I can....

    So I guess I should pick up a few online classes? If so... How do I "rank" myself along CS students so i know where to start/improve? Im happy that i lucked out but also kinda worried I will slow those around me down at work. Or should just believe in my god damn self that i am a great human?

    Sorry i dont normally type like this. Im just really excited but and the same time scared.

    submitted by /u/ImANugget
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone here worked at USAA?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 01:55 PM PDT

    I got a position with them in their Phoenix location and will be starting in a couple of weeks. Seems like a nice place to work and great benefits but I am wondering what the career progression and income progression is like and what other teams they have besides web api development which is what I will be doing. Do people who have been there think it is a good company to develop SWE skills and grow? I have already asked the recruiter but wanted to hear other peoples experiences and views.

    submitted by /u/darkknight90210
    [link] [comments]

    callback rate for full time position with one internship

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 07:40 PM PDT

    Hello. I am currently a junior with no internship yet, but I will have one by the end of this summer. I will have one research experience involving computer network, one software engineering internship, and several school projects under my belt by the time I am a senior. What would be the expected call back rate when I search for a junior developer position in my senior year. I go to a well-known school and my gpa is mediocre (around 3.1 by the end of this semester). I am asking this because I had a terrible call back rate (5% ish) when I was searching for a summer internship this year.

    submitted by /u/MaleficentAspect2
    [link] [comments]

    Canadians applying for jobs in the US?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 07:15 PM PDT

    Just curious if there's anyone from Canada that have taken positions in the US. Makes sense with their dollar being so much stronger and places with better COL.

    What challenges have you found? Any employers help with visas? Anything unexpected?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/KindaMedium
    [link] [comments]

    Am I screwed?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 07:04 PM PDT

    I'm finishing up my junior year in college and going into the summer, I failed to get an internship. I'm really upset about it but I understand that I may not have put in as much effort to find one as I really should have. By no means am I an extremely great programmer but I think I'm fairly decent. My question is, since I will graduate without having an internship, am I screwed?

    submitted by /u/djunior08
    [link] [comments]

    I applied for new graduate development engineer, but got an email saying I passed the CV screening of security engineer with coding challenge

    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 06:35 PM PDT

    How should I proceed with this? Do I play along with it or should I inform the HR this is not the position I applied?

    I guess at this moment the headcount for new grad should be filled and idk if I could be put back on the right track.

    submitted by /u/eatsomeonion
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment