• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 4, 2019

    Interview Discussion - April 04, 2019 CS Career Questions

    Interview Discussion - April 04, 2019 CS Career Questions


    Interview Discussion - April 04, 2019

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 12:06 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions about interviews, interviewing, and interview prep. Posts focusing solely on interviews created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Monday and Thursday at midnight PST. Previous Interview Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - April 04, 2019

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 12:06 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Got handed my 3rd and final warning today at work

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 09:52 AM PDT

    So i currently work at a tech startup as a backend developer. Ive been at for ~ 14 months. Long story short i got my third and final performance evaluation this week and it wasn't good. With the first two evaluations I had, both my manager and the CTO gave me a list of things they expected me to work on to improve. The biggest thing i took from my last performance review (8 weeks ago) was to a) fix my attitude and b) take ownership of the next product we'd be working on and in all honesty i did both. I worked extra hours, worked weekends, worked late nights and made sure i was the first one in the office. Our project needed a way to send delayed messages to other parts of our app and i took full ownership of implementing a message broker. Honestly i could say that the previous performance evaluations were fair but I really felt like i stepped it up big time (to the agreement of all the other devs on my team).

    When the meeting concluded by cto pretty much told me that this was my last warning which caught my by surprise. So basically Im thinking of handing in my two weeks on Tuesday so that I can still leave on good terms. I have no job lined up but the city im in has a pretty big tech scene. I'm also in a really good financial situation so it wouldn't be the end of the world if i quit without a job. Just need some advice/guidance as to what you guys would do in my situation

    edit: to add, my dev team has been pretty overworked. My manager (and to a lesser extend my CTO) have been the direct reason why 4 developers (out of a team of 10) quit over the past 10 months.

    submitted by /u/Prot00ls
    [link] [comments]

    Is the Data Science hype train worth the ride? Or should I go for the MS-PhD Statistics route instead?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 06:18 AM PDT

    So, I am currently 22 and I have a BS in Mathematics followed by a year of experience in the analytics industry. My long term career goal is to be working in the private sector as a Data Science professional.

    I am currently facing a dilemma about what Masters program I should be applying for. So many of my friends have gone for MS in Data Science that to me it seems like mimicking the crowd at this point. Moreover, these programs have mostly popped up quite recently, so there is no real consensus over the syllabus or the program duration. Since Data Science encompasses Math, Stats, Computer Science, Databases, and Business Studies, how is it even realistic to expect a 1-2 year MS program to provide an in-depth understanding of all these diverse fields? To me it seems like these programs would offer a clumsy amalgamation of the aforementioned subjects only to churn out "Data Science Professionals" who know all the buzzwords and have a lot of surface level knowledge without any real depth or expertise. Does the industry really need more of that?

    On the other hand, while a traditional MS in Stats would provide a thorough training in the Statistics component, it fails to address all of the others. Can someone really learn CS, Business Studies, and Databases all by themselves while pursuing a full time MS? Furthermore, if I do a PhD in Stats, would I not alienate myself from these fields even more and make my skill set too narrow and rigid to adapt to industry requirements?

    I'm sure people here have taken both routes and managed to find satisfaction in their careers. What would you say are the benefits or drawbacks of an MS in Data Science as compared to an MS in Statistics? Is a PhD only open after MS Stats or do MS Data Science folks also explore that possibility? How big of a competitive advantage does a PhD give?

    submitted by /u/NarinPratap
    [link] [comments]

    How do I be a candidate for DevOps roles?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 10:48 AM PDT

    I'm a Computer Science student in a mid-tier university. Like many students, I've been searching for summer internships. My resume is decent for entry level software dev and data engineering roles. I've got a couple of calls for both and had an interview or two for software dev jobs. Sadly, I haven't been had a positive response yet.

    I've been wanting to do DevOps for a while now. I have no work experience per se and have not seen first hand what DevOps engineers do. My experiences are limited to what I read and what people tell me. That has piqued my interest a lot and I've also learnt that it's a valuable skill set to have.

    I made this post primarily to ask what/how I should learn to be considered for DevOps roles that I apply to? Is it not viable to want to pick that up without work experience first? Are fresh grads someone you'd wanna rely on for roles like these?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/aadithpm
    [link] [comments]

    Continue with no degree, or get a relatively easy online degree?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 07:07 PM PDT

    So I started college, left for a whole host of reasons, but I've had a mildly successful career since (I've just turned 24).

    I am trying to determine if I should stay down the the some college route, or complete an online degree. My current total comp is around ~170 so it's hard to put that on the back burner to complete a brick and mortar degree, however completing an online degree at Purdue University Global should be feasible.

    I mean I could check the has a bachelors box, but I am pretty sure that PUG won't look anything like a normal degree, and worst case it may come off badly (not sure about this one). Harvard also has an online program that would take a while and is rather expensive.

    Trying to avoid being the first one on a chopping block on a down market, also would like to able to move to other companies like FB and some late stage start-ups, but not really sure if a degree like this would really affect all that much besides eating 2-3 years of time and 30k.

    submitted by /u/DrCSQuestions
    [link] [comments]

    Software Engineering Job Stopped Being About Software Engineering

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 02:20 PM PDT

    Background: I've been working this job for ~8 months now. The first 6 months were fantastic. I was placed on a team, I was given specific tasks, I worked with our team members to help deliver tools to our customers, and I started to take ownership. At the peak of the project, I was creating a machine learning pipeline for processing documents and I was finally starting to see how my work fit into the larger picture. Then I was ripped out of this team and now I'm in limbo. The new team I was placed in did not take off because of office politics (other teams did not want to play with ours and so we had no clear objectives). Now while I wait for this project to pick up or die, my boss has been giving me random tasks that are either impossible (he wants us to use tools they bought on tasks they weren't designed for) or the requirements of the task change every other day and I have to ditch work I've done.

    Things are kind of cooling down but I've noticed that I've stopped coding as much as I used to do. This was expected as a software engineer does not code all the time. However, I think I code maybe 5% of the time now as opposed to when I was coding 60% of the time. I spend more time talking to business people that change their mind every 5 minutes, working with tools that the company bought (and don't work in the use case), or having meetings with my boss that result in nothing being done. Is this normal? I told a coworker that I wasn't growing and she said, "But isn't this kind of fun? You should grow out of that [coding] and learn more skills. Isn't it satisfying to parse vague business requirements and create solutions" I must be suffering a disconnect here. I'm not allowed to grow in my software engineering skills. There's no code review, no quality control, no unit testing, just "swim through the chaos and scrap together a very crappy solution for a constantly-changing requirements".

    tl;dr I want to create scalable code bases that I'm proud of and instead I'm running around trying to appease the demands of business politics.

    submitted by /u/rosenjcb
    [link] [comments]

    Is QA perceived as a dying profession within the software industry?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 12:13 PM PDT

    Curiosity questions to those in development and QA...

    Do you think QA as a long term career path is rapidly diminishing in the software industry? If so, are you seeing it replaced with titles and roles such as SDET or are people gearing more toward standard development roles?

    Over the past few years working in recruitment for a software development company, its been increasingly challenging to find solid QA professionals with experience. In reading through feeds on Reddit and chatting with candidates, I get the sense that individuals who want to build a career in QA are diminishing at a rapid pace and QA as a whole is being seen as an entry point into development.

    What are your thoughts?

    submitted by /u/OldSoleNewShoes
    [link] [comments]

    How do you manage and track your CV versions and job applications?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 11:30 AM PDT

    Do you have a system? A spreadsheet? Or just files scattered across your computer, and emails in your inbox?

    Also, does the way you do things work for you, or

    I'm finding my disorganisation with this stuff is becoming an active hindrance, and am considering building a tool to help. Just wondering if there's a system people already use so I don't waste my time.

    submitted by /u/dublem
    [link] [comments]

    What do you think of take-home assignments?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 05:40 PM PDT

    I know it's become completely accepted within the industry, and is here to stay. My main issues are

    1) Why should I work for free for hours, and then give you my code, all before you hire me?

    2) It implies that you don't trust the gazillion similar projects up on my github. Maybe that's true, but that seems like a shitty way to start a working relationship. You can cheat on a take home assignment too.

    It's horribly disrespectful of peoples' time, and even if a company can do it it doesn't mean its the right thing to do. Something large parts of the tech industry need to learn. I'd rather have a technical interview as part of the day of interviews instead of this on top of everything else. I especially hate it when the assignment is given before I've even had a conversation with the recruiter - how do I know how interested I am if we haven't even spoken about the role?

    EDIT: Some alternatives I personally would be fine with

    • I think the best thing would be to ask candidates to think of or bring a sample project and then go through the code and the decisions they made with them

    • A short coding challenge as part of an onsite interview

    • Some pen and paper or whiteboard questions. I think there are obnoxious as well as more beneficial ways to do those too.

    submitted by /u/KlutzyCauliflower3
    [link] [comments]

    Professionals: if all of your work experience, references, education, and project contributions were erased from history, how would you go about getting a job?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 07:24 PM PDT

    I've been programming for over 7 years, all for projects that for one reason or another never saw the light of day. As a result, I've got a really diverse skill set (everything from scientific computing to mobile apps to networking to embedded systems), but nothing to show for it. Also, all of my past superiors are either non-technical folk or deceased. I have a degree in a different branch of engineering (chemical), so no CS degree either.

    So, what's the quickest way for a skilled person to populate their resume? I've considered contributing to high visibility open source projects, publishing libraries or apps independently, writing tutorials/video lectures on advanced/obscure language features, among other things.

    TL;DR: highly skilled, no marketable experience. What are some low time investment, highly marketable endeavors?

    submitted by /u/CGFarrell
    [link] [comments]

    Can I tell my first potential employer ahead of time that I use CBD?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 02:15 PM PDT

    So I have PTSD, which causes high anxiety, and I live in a state where weed is not legal, but CBD oil is. It's a derivative of marijuana that's legal and doesn't make you high, but just calms you down. The thing is that CBD can contain trace amounts of THC (the chemical that DOES make you high), that can sometimes be detected on a drug test. It can contain a legal amount of THC, but even though it's a tiny amount, a drug test only determines if it's in your system or not, not how much is... I'll be getting my first development position after I finish my program in July. Would it be unprofessional to mention this before an interview/after being hired? I truly would like to try it, as I've had nothing but terrible experiences with medications for my condition (my last one woke me with a seizure in the middle of the night because I forgot to take it for a day), and I've heard nothing but wonderful things about it. It does not affect your ability to work either. I do not want this for a high, but merely to have a better quality of life... when I'm under extreme stress, I can have panic attacks, body-aches, vivid and extremely frequent nightmares, etc. How would I handle asking?

    submitted by /u/CaliBounded
    [link] [comments]

    Management or technical

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 07:13 PM PDT

    Facing a career question and would like some opinions. Background - In my early 40's. Started as a developer, promoted over the years to project manager. After 4-5 years, switched back to coding/architecture as I really enjoyed it. Recently I have been asked to chose between which track I want to continue on - technical or management. Plenty of good factors on each side, but I am looking at the cons to decide my answer. I am listing them here, would like your opinion on what you would do -

    Technical track cons -

    1. At my age its difficult to learn something new. I am doing pretty ok in my current field, but like any domain/technology/language, it is bound to get obsolete soon. I am not confident of quickly switching to a new area.

    2. I perceive the senior folks in my company in the technical track as a somewhat of a closed circle. I don't see them as welcoming of someone who is still learning and mentoring them. Any feedback/question from someone outside their circle is met with a passive/agressive attitude or completely brushed off. Almost every interaction I have had with them has somehow offended me in some way.

    Management track cons -

    1. I am not really the guy that gives 100% all the time during the day. My energy grows and shrinks throught the day. This is perfectly fine for coding, as I choose when I work as long as I deliver the work when promised. But from my past life as a manager, it does not really work out when you are managing a team and have 10 people to talk with the entire day inside and outside the team.

    2. I think I can manage my team and the project fairly well. But there's an unsaid requirement in the management world to also be able to socialize with the higher ups, business etc. I am no good at that. I can talk about professional or technical matters and move on. Not really good at idle talk....

    Has anyone been in this position and what would you advise me to do? Are there any other factors that I should think of before making a decison?

    submitted by /u/criticalchain
    [link] [comments]

    are you allowed to work on projects at home when they are uncompleted at work

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 06:18 PM PDT

    Example: your working on a project for the company you work for, and you find a small bug, your close to solving it but times up its, time to go home. You arent allowed to work over time but you also dont wanna lose your train of thought. can you take the broken code and try to run it on ur own pc at home and troubleshoot it there. This situation probably isnt common but when you run into similar things can you work from home after wotk hours.

    submitted by /u/majinkazekage
    [link] [comments]

    Highest paying companies in Michigan?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 07:17 AM PDT

    As the title states, does anyone know what the highest paying companies in Michigan(south eastern area) are? As well as expected salary for a senior dev with 10+ years of experience? The salary calculators seem to be all over the place.

    submitted by /u/justwondering131
    [link] [comments]

    Stuck for a lack of references

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 07:20 AM PDT

    All of it is my fault too, but what's my experience worth if no one can vouch for it?

    I graduated college in 2011 and worked for a small company for 5 years. I started at 40k, I was naive and felt entitled. Eventually I started misbehaving, showing up late, missing days, I brewed lots of resentment then I finally quit, I was earning 47.5k then. A year after I decided I was going to be careful about my actions, managed to get hired at a small startup at 45k. This one is a bit more complicated... The culture was toxic, I've made mistakes too, I left when they switched me to contracting.

    Fast forward this year, this is the second successful interview I go through and now they are asking references. Small startup has denied to give me references, I haven't asked the first company, I'm sure they would say "he does good work... when he finally shows up" which wouldn't look very good for me...

    A lot could be said about my previous actions, without any doubt. How does one redeem himself once he realizes his mistakes and actually wants to orient himself properly in life, fully knowing nobody owes him anything?

    submitted by /u/feezx
    [link] [comments]

    Austinites of CSCQ: Is the hype over Austin, Texas as a tech hub real?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 05:41 PM PDT

    I've heard so many times now that Austin is a booming tech hub with articles like these from The New York Times and Bloomberg, as well as others. Of course, this isn't including Apple and Amazon's massive expansions in the Austin area and SXSW. There was also a thread on hacker news over Austin and most people that lived there were raving about it. Several of my friends in tech have also moved or are seriously looking to move there.

    So I guess my question to those who live in Austin is: how are you finding the tech scene there? With FANG companies looking to open major offices there (if not already) is the hype over Austin real? And is the CoL to salary ratio really unbeatable as people say? I ask because I'm looking at master's programs at UT Austin and I know they get great recruiting from Austin area tech companies. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/gerradisgod
    [link] [comments]

    Software Engineer Internship

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 05:41 PM PDT

    Not sure if this is the right subreddit to post this in but I'm just wanting people's advice and opinions.

    I am in my first week as a software engineer intern at a pretty big company and feeling extremely overwhelmed and anxious. To give some background, I am a boot camp grad and was approached before I graduated to apply for an internship with them. I did the interview and wasn't asked any technical questions or did any whiteboarding problems. It was purely behavioral questions. I got the internship but still had some time left in my boot camp. I talked to all my instructors and they all agreed that I would learn more at the internship than completing the boot camp.

    First week in and I am extremely overwhelmed. Managers and coworkers expectations are for me to be up and running in one months time and be able to produce reports and deployed projects at the earliest 1 month, the latest 3. They are expecting me to be their go-to frontend dev and then start backend in a few months (3-4months). I don't want to go too into specifics on project expectations as some of them browse this subreddit.

    There is a huge lack of communication between all members of the team. I've been passed off from person to person on various teams and no set training or guidance. Once they feel like they've trained me enough they're throwing me in the deep end and I'll be on my own, (expected two months or a lot sooner). I don't have any set up on my computer yet because I haven't even been told what languages or tools I'll be using. If I ask questions, the conversation veers off to my coworkers telling me to put in all my efforts into this internship because "i've been blessed to be given this chance".

    And all of these expectations are them knowing I only have a couple months of programming experience under my belt and them saying in the interview that they will teach me and that I don't need a lot experience. I'm not sure if this is normal for a 7 month long internship but I feel like their expectations are for more experienced developers than an intern. Are they just looking for another chump to do their work at the cost of an intern or is this this the life of an intern? If any of you guys have gone through this and made it out without feeling like jumping out the window, what's your advice for me? Are there any red flags that you guys see about this company? Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/throwawayrand012345
    [link] [comments]

    help! What should a sophomore CS student do during the summer for getting a better job in the future?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 09:13 AM PDT

    Hi, I'm a sophomore CS student, but I was thinking about majoring in math, so I just start CS class last semester. Also, I plan to graduate next year, which put me a wired position, I'm not qualified for a summer internship and I won't have one more summer vacation for the internship. I also worried about my GPA. I did pretty well in discrete math and liner algebra, but I did awful in physics which I don't know why a CS student have to learn... I know a little bit about C++, Java and Python. I kind of want to do a personal project during summer but I have no idea what kind of project I should start. Do anyone has similar experiences? How you go through the process? How you start your first personal project?

    submitted by /u/gyikko
    [link] [comments]

    New Grad Software Engineering Job with Mostly DevOps Experience

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 02:23 PM PDT

    I've done one software engineering and several DevOps internships during my undergrad. I will be graduating the next year and really hope to get into software engineering. I'm currently working on my Github and Leetcode problems. Will I be at a huge disadvantage when applying? Was anyone in a similar position as me?

    submitted by /u/feiner
    [link] [comments]

    What salary should someone expect in france/Germany, compared to the US?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 08:09 PM PDT

    Both as a junior and as a senior. I read that the ones in Spain are very, very low, but would like to hear experiences too.same with new Zealand, and even Latin American countries Sorry if the question is out of place

    submitted by /u/simonbleu
    [link] [comments]

    Guide to obtaining Bloomberg internship

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 08:05 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    I'm currently a sophomore at a decent state school. Recently just switched into CS and should graduate on time. I'm really hoping to land a Bloomberg internship for the upcoming summer. Can anyone suggest a guide to going about this? I was planning on just doing CTCI and Leetcode. Is this enough?? What can I do to actually ace the interview. If anyone has a thorough guide or links or something, would be super helpful. Thanks

    submitted by /u/alphacentauri3
    [link] [comments]

    Is becoming very knowledgeable on the linux kernel a valuable thing to accomplish for long-term career growth?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 07:59 PM PDT

    Hi guys, so I currently work at a defense contractor. I mostly work with networking and interfacing it with our own hardware products. While there is a requirement (an implicit requirement, by what I'm working on) to become familiar with interacting with the linux kernel, I am wondering if it makes sense for me pick up driver development while I'm here, and try to make the linux kernel my bitch. I can find mentorship at my company for this.

    I don't intend to work in defense contracting forever. I want to get one of those fancy jobs where I can play ping pong and eat free food at work eventually.

    Is making this one of my selling points a good idea, or would I be better off focusing on other things? I know that linux is everywhere, but is such a skill niche outside of defense contracting/hardware dev?

    Hoping there are a few people that have some experience in this that can advise. :) Thanks.

    submitted by /u/NoMoreSoftwareGore
    [link] [comments]

    USM Business Systems

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 04:10 PM PDT

    I am a college graduate from dec. 18 with a less than average gpa and skill set (< 3.0, java, sql, js) who has been looking for months for entry/junior jobs but hasn't found any that would hire, and most won't send rejection emails. Recently a recruiter from USM business systems set me up with an interview for one of their techrocker program ( https://www.usmsystems.com/techrockers-program/ ). Having fallen for something in this vane with Revature, but turning it down in time, and missing out on a job offer because of it, I am wary of "training programs and placement" businesses like these. So, i am asking you if any of you know if they are a good place to go to or if they are a "Revature by any other name" type of business.

    submitted by /u/Crossed_Legion
    [link] [comments]

    I like work that’s “starting from scratch” but doesn’t everyone?? How hard is it to find a job like this?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 07:53 PM PDT

    I've been thinking about looking around for a new job. I have 6 years of experience at a big 4.

    I like teams that are working on building a new product from the ground up from zero to one. i like building things and I want to work on a team that is coding something from scratch.

    But then again, doesn't everyone like this / prefer this kind of work?

    The most immediate companies that stand out to me that do this kind of work is startups. But I'd like to also look for places that are non-startups. How common is it for companies to have teams that are working on these kinds of products that go from zero to one?

    submitted by /u/throwawayguy294
    [link] [comments]

    Can I call HR without notice?

    Posted: 04 Apr 2019 07:30 PM PDT

    So I've been in contact with a talent manager at a relatively large company for the last 3 weeks and last week I was told that they'd like to extend an offer and ask'd me if I'd like to come into the office for a visit. However, I have yet to receive a response when I emailed when I'd like to visit. Is it OK to call the recruiter without notice given that I've already sent another follow up email or can I assume that I've been ghosted?

    submitted by /u/Ignorant_Bandwagoner
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment