• Breaking News

    Friday, April 19, 2019

    I finally understood recursion!!!! learn programming

    I finally understood recursion!!!! learn programming


    I finally understood recursion!!!!

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 07:51 AM PDT

    Out of all things I ever did this feels like my best accomplishment. It just seemed impossible to think of a recursive solution to anything, even after learning how to at least read a recursive function. Then today I just tried picking up my book again because I had a weird feeling in my gut telling me to write recursion and did some exercises and holy shit all of them were hard but I did them.

    Now I can do simple things like recursively printing out the first n square numbers or the number pyramids xd

    submitted by /u/Lastrevio
    [link] [comments]

    Even the easiest coding challenges seem impossible.

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 08:32 PM PDT

    Is there ever a point where I can solve even just the easy coding challenges? I feel like after 5 months of programming I am still unable to even make a full attempt at some of these easy ones on codewars.com or leetcode.com.

    I am at the point where I am comfortable with vanilla Ruby concepts and am learning Rails on my own, but my algorithmic problem solving is well below par. Any suggestions? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/steadfast_lifestyle
    [link] [comments]

    What are good books on C# for a total beginner ?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 06:18 AM PDT

    I need books to teach me C#. I am not a beginner to programming as i know python and front end web development but i never touched C# or any C language in my life. Both books and tutorials are welcome.

    submitted by /u/chajo1997
    [link] [comments]

    I have a special-needs request...

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 04:51 PM PDT

    Up front, I hope this isn't considered offensive or untoward.

    I help to run a Children's Program for special-needs individuals, specifically those with intellectual and developmental disabilities. The vast majority of such individuals would be considered profound cases, sitting on the intellectual side of that developmental delay. But there's one individual whose developmental disability is purely physical in nature. Though confined to a wheelchair with limited dexterity, their mind is sharp as a tack. This child is otherwise bored to tears during our standard days of operation, as we typically work on educational goals as outlined by an IEP (Individual Education Plan) that is often in conjunction with what they are working on in school; this child is up-to-date in their classwork (or so they tell us), and often does not even present with homework with which we can assist.

    In recent discussions with them, I learned of their desire to pursue a career involving computer programming. They assumed that they would look into this further upon graduating high school, but I would be most interested in finding them a free web-based option with which to begin learning at their own speed. I'd be very interested to know if anyone can recommend such a site that they have had experience with, especially anyone who recently facilitated this while in (or near) high school age.

    Bonus points if they also found (or can recommend) a site that works with some form of text-command program. I have been looking at Dragon software, but thus far I'm only seeing it as a viable text-to-speech program, which I'm not sure will work for all our purposes.

    Again, I apologize if this is the right place (or method) by which to ask this question. But should any good Samaritans see this post and have something to offer, I'm all ears... er, eyes?

    submitted by /u/JargonPhat
    [link] [comments]

    Just bought Eloquent Javascript - Third Edition. How far will this book take me?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 07:17 AM PDT

    In terms of learning Javascript and eventually becoming a full-stack or back-end dev, how far will this book take me towards that goal?

    Assuming I study it front-to-back, completing all the projects, and googling anything I don't understand until I do. Really soaking in and practicing all the information within.

    Once completed, what other rousurces are the logical next step for me? I'll have some portfolio projects done, but I think getting into React and more Node/Express would probably be my next goal. Any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/Demented-Turtle
    [link] [comments]

    When to create a portfolio

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 07:16 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I am in my first year of a bachelor of IT. I am majoring in data analytics and interactive media. This is my first degree. Prior to this, I have completed a certificate III in Graphic design. I really enjoyed graphic design, but didn't pursue as I couldn't afford the pay cut to get into the industry.

    The reason why I enrolled in the bachelor of IT degree was because I went to a Javascript bootcamp and I fell in love with programming. It gave me a creative outlet and it challenged me.

    My work has offered me a paid internship once I reach my second year, at my current salary if I majored in data analytics. I do some data analysis in my current role and build spreadsheets for reporting as management likes easy to interpret spreadsheets (they ask me to make the reporting look pretty). Our current system just pulls the raw data.

    The interactive media was for me, as it is website building etc. I thought this would be a great opportunity to build on my current graphic design skills.

    I was wondering when is the best time to create a portfolio.

    Is a portfolio full of student work sufficient with some side projects?

    Should I have a Github where I save my student projects and side projects?

    Would a portfolio website that showcases my coding projects and graphic design projects be too much together? Should I just keep them separate?

    I understand that I am lucky with what my work is offering, but I don't want to stay there for the rest of my life. When you leave they have a business rule that they do not give references to outside companies. This is to deter people from leaving/stopping people from getting roles elsewhere.

    submitted by /u/I_dislike_Nick_Cage
    [link] [comments]

    Python tutorial for beginners

    Posted: 19 Apr 2019 12:01 AM PDT

    Learn Python from scratch with this full-fledged and easy to understand Python video tutorial

    https://youtu.be/EpJWGs_KY9Y

    submitted by /u/Akanksha1111
    [link] [comments]

    A detailed tutorial on scraping information from the Web and tweeting it programmatically using a bot!

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 11:26 PM PDT

    My tutorial on scraping information and programmatically tweeting it just got posted on DigitalOcean! If you want to learn using Python to scrape web pages and automating tasks like tweeting interesting content, please have a look!

    How To Scrape Web Pages and Post Content to Twitter with Python 3

    If you enjoyed reading it, don't forget to upvote and share the tutorial! Also considering having look at Chirps, which is a Twitter bot framework I wrote, that enables automating a lot of common Twitter tasks. Read more about it at this r/Python post. The source code should be easy to follow if you want to dive deeper; it's documented where necessary. Again, don't forget to give it a star if you like it!

    submitted by /u/schedutron
    [link] [comments]

    Variable startup states for console application [C#]

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 11:12 PM PDT

    Hi folks,

    Since I got such helpful responses on my first question I had for this project, I've got another one. I'm creating a console application that will ideally run as a windows service which pings Reddit every few minutes for posts matching user-specified criteria, and emails the user if matches occur.

    As of right now, I've got it set up to run purely as an active application. It brings the user to the main menu, allows them to make changes to the email address, subreddit to monitor, or search criteria, and assuming all of that information exists, allows them to initialize the application's "listen" mode.

    The problem is that, in order to run this application as a windows service, I would need it to default to listen mode (optionally on Windows startup) once the criteria are created, but still allow the user to change settings if desired. The only way I've been able to think of to do this thus far is to rewrite a bit and do two separate applications: one for the criteria configuration, and one that is purely in "listen" mode. Is there a way other than that I could pull this off?

    Or, if that's the only or best way...further question: how do I do that in VS 2017? Would I just add a new project to the solution? I've never made an application with multiple startup options before, nor have I ever built an application all the way through the release phase (which I need to do here).

    submitted by /u/florvas
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for learning paths needed

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 10:59 PM PDT

    I've been looking into two learning paths for eventually gaining a career out of software development and have been having a hard time choosing between FreeCodeCamp and the p1xt "python job ready guide-python".

    I liked that they both involve projects and both seem to have advantages but which is better/more efficient/effective for making a career out of programming?

    submitted by /u/PuzzledLimit
    [link] [comments]

    What is a good way to practice?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 05:18 PM PDT

    I'm learning Java right now in class, and I find myself reading through concepts and examples more than actually coding. My professor says to just "play around with the code" and type in examples from the textbook, but I'm trying to practice specific material and I want to be more focused. I have used apps like codeacademy, but I'm not trying to unlock all the very beginner sections in order to get to the stuff I really wanna practice. In one of my coding classes we use Code.org for javascript, but I really need something like that for Java. We just finished some stuff over Java io and we're onto recursion and I need to practice it

    submitted by /u/unholymanserpent
    [link] [comments]

    how do I update my ssl library?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 02:43 PM PDT

    Hey friends I'm a very non-technical guy who's trying to learn programming. Currently I'm trying to learn git. I ran into a problem trying to clone my repository onto my desktop and I got this error.

    Marian@Marian-PC MINGW64 ~/Desktop/codeProjects/kaneConcrete
    $ git clone https://github.com/spabsa/Kane-Concrete-Construction.git 2
    Cloning into 'Kane-Concrete-Construction'…
    remote: Enumerating objects: 24, done.
    remote: Counting objects: 100% (24/24), done.
    remote: Compressing objects: 100% (19/19), done.
    error: RPC failed; curl 56 SSL read: error:1408F10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD :wrong version number, errno 0
    fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
    fatal: early EOF
    fatal: unpack-objects failed

    I was suggested to update my git version, which I did but it didn't help. Then I was told to update my SSL library. I've been looking around the web trying to understand what that even is, but me being non-technical made the information I found very confusing. Can someone give me a very simple explanation on how to update this/check the version, and maybe even a brief dummy explanation on what it even is? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/spabsa
    [link] [comments]

    Is codingheroes.io safe?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 05:20 AM PDT

    Hi everybody,

    I've just started a course on udemy about web design. The instructor there recommends me to use the site "codingheroes.io"

    Is it safe to use and download things from?

    EDIT: Guys I'm not planning to pay or buy anything there. I'm just going to use some free resources. And the udemy course is by Jonas Schmedtmann. Seems like a genuine guy considering he has over 500k students and rave reviews.

    submitted by /u/KidCode99
    [link] [comments]

    How to debug a closed source library?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 10:33 PM PDT

    Hello

    I am writing a piece of software which uses a library against which I link. Issue is that I think that there is an issue with mutexes inside the library itself. Is there a way for me to analyze this or make sure the issue lies there? I so far tried checking errno and dmesg, in case one of those was set by the library without me knowing. But none of those revealed anything fishy.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/technical_questions2
    [link] [comments]

    Making my first JavaScript game! It's a Reigns clone about climate change. Any feedback/review would be much appreciated!

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 12:45 PM PDT

    tl;dr: Find the game here, source code here, and give feedback here if you didn't play through to the end or in the comments.

    Hi /r/learnprogramming !

    I'm not exactly a new programmer, but this is my first JS/HTML project. I started from scratch and used pure (ES6) JS with no frameworks/libraries in order to learn more about JS.

    This is a WIP for an Earth and Atmospheric Sciences class I'm taking, and is meant to end as a science communication tool. I want to capture the whimsy and fun of Reigns while still making the player think about the environment/climate change.

    The game is currently entirely linear. Each choice you make contributes to your stats, and the goal is to survive until present day without dying/being overthrown. I will keep working on this project for a while, so any feedback or suggestions, either here or in the form. I would especially appreciate code critique as I am very new to JS and don't really know what I'm doing.

    Planned code changes:

    • Reformat the code a little to extract the event data from the JS code, and to make the code more DRY and readable
    • Set canvas size based on page size, make the size reactive
    • Don't derp out if mouse leaves canvas bounds while dragging
    • Maybe add keyboard controls
    • Add touch controls (currently doesn't work on mobile :()

    Planned game changes:

    • Change event format to have constraints such as year, money, popularity, etc. Then every year, randomly choose from all applicable events, instead of just taking the next event.
    • Add sustained effect events (e.g. lose 50 money every year for 10 years)
    • Add dependent events (e.g. event E2 can only happen if player chose option B of E1)
    • Add more types of assistants and add portraits for them (placeholder portraits generated with losing.games portrait generator)
    • Make game continue into the future, keep track of global temp change and sea level rise as well, have events in reaction to those variables
    submitted by /u/oselcuk
    [link] [comments]

    Downloading FIles Using Python?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 10:28 PM PDT

    Hey, I am a bit unfamiliar with python. I was wondering if there was any sort of code that can download computer files (not web ones). Any help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/AchillesGamer
    [link] [comments]

    How to apply the concept of highscore?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 10:17 PM PDT

    I was writing a simple program for rock,paper,scissor. I wanted to keep record for the maximum number of times user won a game but got to know that assigning any value to a variable will reset on the next execution of program. So I just want to store a data in a variable, whose value willnot even after I rerun the program. I think this can be done by pushing the value of that variable to a file and then just getting that variable from that file at the start of the program. I am just guessing it so nothing sure.

    import time import random highscore =0 class game: def start(self,choice): game = [1,2,3] random.shuffle(game) if (game[0]==1): print("Computer chose : Rock\n") elif (game[0]==2): print("Computer chose : Paper\n") else: print("Computer chose :Scissors\n") if (choice=="rock" or choice=='1' ): if (game[0] == 1): print("OOps!! The game was DRAW:..\n") elif (game[0] == 2): print("SORRY.. You lost against the computer. Kindly try again.\n") else: print("HOORAYYY!!. Congratulations! You won the game.\n") elif (choice=="scissor" or choice=='3'): if (game[0] == 1): print("SORRY.. You lost against the computer. Kindly try again.\n") elif (game[0] == 2): print("HOORAYYY!!. Congratulations! You won the game.\n") else: print("OOps!! The game was DRAW:..\n") elif (choice=="paper" or choice=='2'): if (game[0] == 1): print("HOORAYYY!!. Congratulations! You won the game.\n") elif (game[0] == 2): print("OOps!! The game was DRAW:..\n") else: print("SORRY.. You lost against the computer. Kindly try again.\n") else: print("Looks like you chose wrong option.") while(1): print("1.Rock\n2.Paper\n3.Scissor\n") print("Enter your choice :") choice=input() print(".........Wait while computer plays its turn.......") time.sleep(2) g1=game() g1.start(choice) 

    P.S You are also welcome to give some suggestion on my coding. Like how to write it in more organized way cause I am just a noob in programming. Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/sumit_subedi
    [link] [comments]

    the long minus –

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 10:14 PM PDT

    ive seen this absolutely everywhere, and have searched around a lot for it, name, how to type it down or anything. i have yet to get anything on it. im not sure if im just being an idiot and its replaceable with something else or really what its function is.

    ive been trying to run a discord bot, but am having trouble setting it up, and from what i can tells it because i dont know how to make this elongated minus sign. im following the steps on this site, step 9 specifically is one im having trouble with

    apologies if this is the wrong place to post this. i figured since this is about learning and my problem has some modicum of computer suave required, this would be the place to look

    submitted by /u/XAIVIAX12
    [link] [comments]

    University of North Dakota Discrete Math online

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 12:59 PM PDT

    Anyone take this course and have a review for it? I am wanting a good foundation in discrete math.

    https://und.edu/academics/online/courses/math208.html

    submitted by /u/dyllll
    [link] [comments]

    [Success Story] My journey through 3 years of programming; Also looking to mentor budding new programmers

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 09:05 AM PDT

    I'm an 18 year old guy from India and this is my story.

    I've been into programming for the past 3 years, not all day long but doing something day by day. I started with java and then made my way into little bit of web development and then C# game development.

    Few months back I thought 'enough learning, let's make my way to the field now', so I started freelancing for locally owned shops and restaurants. I made a web app for a local restaurant which made food ordering services available in my area(I'm from an interior part of India). It ran for about a year when it was overcome by Uber Eats. Then I made small websites for my family members, neighbours etc. And it went on and on. I did all these jobs for free.

    Few days back I started working in reddit and was overwhelmed by the results. I made $65 in the past week which is an amazing amount for someone of my age in India.

    My small advice for programming aspirants would be never stop learning. Day by day, everyday, have a piece of inspiration, make your way through that and solve problems; Don't jump into stack questions but try to solve the problems you face during making a project; Try to learn from as much books as possible, this will help you see new approaches to the same question.

    With that I would also love to mentor people getting into programming. I may not be that skilled but I'll try to help you in any way you want. We could do projects, we could share problems, we could teach each other etc.

    Hit me up in DM!

    submitted by /u/iloveyousunflower
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with C++ structure

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 09:17 PM PDT

    I want a struct that has values: name, surname and adress.

    I made the struct and named it "person".

    Types of name and surname are both char and [20].

    How do I now make the adress, so that it contains house adress number (int) and towns name (char)?

    submitted by /u/kavog
    [link] [comments]

    [Java] Type public every time necessary?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 09:11 PM PDT

    So is it necessary to write out private and public every time I make a new variable or method?

    I am used to C++ where you just put it once:

    class TheClass { // code that is private. public: // code that is public. } 

    Eclipse demands that I specify public on every variable or method when trying to access them from another class file in the same package. I'm confused because the C-style class syntax seems to work for code within the same file.

    submitted by /u/RandThoughtGenerator
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to learn git when working alone

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 08:55 PM PDT

    Title says it all, I am interested in learning the ins and outs of git and github but I am not in school and not working collaboratively on any projects.

    submitted by /u/Zoopdedoopz
    [link] [comments]

    [C++] Program crashes when trying to destroy linked list

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 08:18 PM PDT

    Pretty much what the title says. I have a linked list that is a part of a class that I am trying to destroy. When I run the program, it crashes when whenever I try to deconstruct the class.

    Here is some of my code:

     class TsuPod { private: int mem, memleft, usedmem; struct Node { Song mysong; Node *next; }; Node *head; 

     TsuPod::~TsuPod() { Node *nodeptr; Node *nextnode; nodeptr = head; while (nodeptr != NULL) { nextnode = nodeptr -> next; delete nodeptr; //Error happens here nodeptr = nextnode; } head = NULL; } 

    Here is the error I am getting from the console:

    malloc: *** error for object 0x100670140: pointer being freed was not allocated malloc: *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug 

    Can somebody please make sense of this and maybe point out a potential fix? I would really appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/Crazedllama5
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment