• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 23, 2019

    “I don’t see you making it past the junior/mid level” - My Dev Lead/ “Mentor” learn programming

    “I don’t see you making it past the junior/mid level” - My Dev Lead/ “Mentor” learn programming


    “I don’t see you making it past the junior/mid level” - My Dev Lead/ “Mentor”

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 07:20 AM PDT

    I graduated with a bachelors degree in Informatics (water down CS degree pretty much) and a minor in economics almost a decade ago.

    Took me hundreds of job applications to get 1 offer.

    I was let go at my first job (small company) after 5 months because "I wasn't a good fit".

    They had very high expectations, strict deadlines, and for a while I thought I was the problem.

    I get my second job at a bigger company and thought this will be a better environment for me.

    I asked the dev lead for advice and feedback about a year in and he was very honest. He said that he doesn't see me making it past the junior/mid level and that I should consider other roles within tech.

    I felt like a pile of dirt after that. I felt worthless.

    I told my friends about this (who are in tech) and they basically told me "fuck this guy, that's incredibly toxic" and convinced me to find a new gig.

    Now, maybe they were just talking crap because they felt bad for me and wanted to make me feel better.

    Regardless, I transitioned to my next job at a very well known company with a huge tech presence. I was surrounded by smart, humble individuals willing to help someone who is willing to help themselves.

    I felt like I was getting smarter each day. I can't pinpoint exactly what happened but the environment made me feel more relaxed and made me want to come to work.

    Since joining that company I got my masters in CS and was promoted twice all the way to a senior within the span of 6 years.

    I have since left due to an opportunity that I didn't think I would ever get in my life.

    I am now a senior engineer at a Big 4 tech company.

    I don't know how it happened, but it did.

    I always think back to that dev lead who told me that he doesn't see me getting past junior/mid and think "what if you believed him and didn't keep pushing?"

    It angers me but also motivates me to prove them wrong.

    submitted by /u/floydmayweather_
    [link] [comments]

    What to do when youre stuck in a project, nobody answers your questions online and you have no idea how to solve your problem?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 04:08 AM PDT

    Say you are stuck in a critical part of the project (personal or professional). Your SO questions are tumbleweeds, nobody answers on reddit, and you have no idea how to solve it yourself?

    submitted by /u/BigBootyBear
    [link] [comments]

    A complete reference to javascript arrays

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 11:01 PM PDT

    If you are starting with learning javascript then checkout this out for complete reference to javascript arrays https://learnersbucket.com/tutorials/array/javascript-array-complete-reference/ .

    submitted by /u/know_prashant
    [link] [comments]

    Applying for the first job

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 02:23 AM PDT

    I've been self studying for the last year and a half. Started with Python and flowed right into Java. After the last 5 months of hard work i finally finished the two projects i wanted get done ( a windows 10 calculator clone with crypto currency converter and a fully fledged tetris clone with all bells and wistles, both build in Java) . I feel it's time to apply for jobs, but the imposter syndrome is rearing its ugly head again.

    I've only focussed on the programming part, no focus on frameworks of version control programs/systems other than Github. I'm afraid i'm severely lacking some needed knowledge but i have no idea what that knowledge actually is supposed to be.

    Does anyone have any tips for this last minute to get that much needed knowledge i feel i need to get taken seriously at potential interviews? I'm 38 years old and have no college degree so this is making me insecure about my prospects of being able to compete with younger more studied people, the more knowledge I can get before having an actual interview the better, i hope.

    I appreciate any help. Thanks upfront!

    submitted by /u/Primaterialism
    [link] [comments]

    Best program to get prepared for my Python course next semester at college

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 09:52 PM PDT

    Hello, I am going into Mechanical Engineering and although I've always been a tech guy I've never got into programming. Next year I have to take a python course and I want to get into it over the summer. What are some of my best options for getting into it?

    submitted by /u/RobPocko
    [link] [comments]

    Java: Is it possible to read System.print() ?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 11:59 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I've written a cli programm and I want to test some of its funktionality using junit. Because it takes too long to test it by hand.

    If the input of the user is not valid I print a help message. I want to read this helpmessage in my junit test.

    I know I should use helpmethods which return boolean or somethint for the test but for my small tool this would be too timeconsuming.

    submitted by /u/gekkolino
    [link] [comments]

    Your Opinion on Programming Languages and Their Future

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 11:55 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I've recently started online courses on the different types of programming languages and was curious about your opinion on a few things.

    • Which programming language/s is/are your favorite and why?

    • Which programming languages do you think will die out in the future and why?

    I would love to hear your opinions on either question!

    submitted by /u/Lil_Hashtag
    [link] [comments]

    How important is creativity?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 02:09 AM PDT

    I'm a sophomore right now studying financial math. During the program, i'm required to take intro classes in python and C++. I'm about halfway through the python class and, while I understand most of what is going on, eveything I right is brute forcing the problems. Additionally, I watch the developers at my job and I'm worried that i'm not creative enough to come up with the solutions to problems I'll face once I graduate. So, how important is it to be creative when it comes to programming (and for any quants out there, for financial math in general).

    submitted by /u/mrlamcran
    [link] [comments]

    Question about Go

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 07:15 PM PDT

    What is the _ used for in go? I see it used all the time but do not fully understand what it is used for.

    submitted by /u/ccsmall
    [link] [comments]

    In need of advice relating to an automated Windows host machine terminal-based cross-platform development workflow with VM testing.

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 06:52 PM PDT

    So I want to set up a machine for development, as well as personal use and have a few questions as to how I should achieve what I want to achieve.

    So my system must be windows as I play non-wine-compatible games, so that's that.

    In spite of the windows necessity, I very much like unix shells, so for the moment I have been cross-compiling to windows using Ubuntu WSL [Windows Subsystem for Linux]: not necessarily the most efficient way of doing things, but I was raised as a programmer with bash, haha.

    The cross-compiling can become a pain, but in future projects, I intend to be able to compile for multiple systems, including but not limited to Windows, Linux, OSX, Android, and IOS. So I will not be developing exclusively for Windows, in that case, I would be perfectly fine with Powershell.

    One of the reasons I am staying away from PowerShell for cross-platform development is the mess of files in my program data folders associated with various libraries and frameworks, though more importantly it is nicer to have all the dependencies separated in the root directory for my WSL Linux distribution, and to be able to automate the installation of dependencies per project.
    Finally, I already have a bunch of scripts to handle linking and compiling in WSL, though now I would like to be able to fully-automate deploying the compiled software in clean VM's of various OS for testing purposes. I suppose it would be inefficient, unstable, or even imposable to run to VM from WSL, so perhaps connecting managing and deploying from WSL to a windows VM software would be more ideal.
    Alternatively, if possible, more efficient, or cleaner, would it be possible to instead compile and test the application on the target OS VM, as opposed to cross-compiling on the host machines WSL install, and then testing on the VM's?

    Any advice is appreciated. I may submit to PowerShell with enough enticing.

    submitted by /u/Keeto_
    [link] [comments]

    What are some YouTube channels which have good walkthroughs of programming interview questions?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 03:03 PM PDT

    I'm looking for any video resources where someone visually breaks down problems and/or audibly explains their approach as they solve it. Ideally, I'd really love to find a channel full of this sort of content, but have only found sporadic videos here and there so far.

    Any recommendations are greatly appreciated! Python is ideal, but any language or language-generic is fine.

    submitted by /u/KouriiRaiko
    [link] [comments]

    Please help me with text game

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 10:31 PM PDT

    Hey guys I need your help. I'm trying to make my own text game story but I everytime I try to understand programming I feel like a monkey with bannana. I need something I can use in my phone with android. I tried fabularium but idk what to do there! I downloaded some book about inform and still it is so hard. How can I writer my own text game in my phone? Please help me I really want to do that but idk how. What language it is written by or how it should look like. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Gabzz054
    [link] [comments]

    A view into the quirks of Continuous Integration

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 10:03 PM PDT

    Making a program to click a button on website every 15 minutes

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 05:47 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm pretty experienced with powershell and batch scripting but I don't think either of those can do what I am wanting sadly. I have a website where a need to click a "RESYNC" button every 15 minutes, and wasn't sure the best way to do this.

    I had a google and saw this can be done in .VBA but with a lot of programming and that's not something I have any experience with. I was thinking I could use a macro program but not sure what the best solution would be.

    Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated

    ** EDIT: Thanks for everyone's input. I got it working now with a greasemonkey script *\*

    submitted by /u/Mr_Straws
    [link] [comments]

    How to PROPERLY Build A Web Application? A Biologist Needs Help!

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 05:46 PM PDT

    I am not sure if this is the place to ask this question, but here it is:

    In 2019, what is the PROPER way to build, host, and deploy a web application that relies heavily on a back-end in Python?

    I am a 4th year university Bioengineering student. I recently built a python package to do some relatively advanced data analytics on protein sequences, DNA sequences, and bacterial genomes. I thought, "Hey this would make a great website" since the input and output data is extremely simple.

    Well, 2 weeks later and many hours of banging my head against my desk, I successfully purchased a domain, deployed an instance of an AWS EC2 server, set up Apache2 on that server, created a basic Front End using some Bootstrap Frameworks online, and linked the Front-End to my python back-end using CGI scripts and lots of Apache config file editing.

    What I learned? There has to be a better way to do all of this!

    It is kind of clunky, is pretty unreliable, and was a major pain in my backside to get going.

    So, my question again, what is a better way to go about all of this? Are there other frameworks, languages, hosting services, or tips I need to be looking into to get a sturdy web application going without swimming through a linux console for 6 hours on a Friday night?

    I have heard some buzzwords around forums like React, Flask, Node.js, and others, but none of it means much to me.

    As a biologist who is a completely self taught programmer/web developer, any advice would be thoroughly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/pawsibility
    [link] [comments]

    How do I embed the terminal as a frame in tkinter?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 09:16 PM PDT

    Instead of having my terminal run separately from the app, I want my terminal to be a window embedded within my app. I'm just wondering, how can I do this with tkinter? There doesn't seem to be a good tutorial so far on how to embed a terminal into a tkinter application. Would really appreciate the help!

    submitted by /u/1MightBeAPenguin
    [link] [comments]

    Very large workloads in the JVM?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 05:22 PM PDT

    I plan to use Scala for very memory-intensive workloads that are multithreaded. It is likely that this will consume the entire memory of the workstation. Since Scala runs in the JVM, I am in need of a resource or any nuggets about the JVM under these conditions. Questions should jog/facilitate conversation, but anything other caveats I'm willing to listen to.

    • Should I tweak the global stack size or heap size?

    • Do i need to tweak something about the "aggressive" level of the garbage collector to avoid crashes?

    • What sorts of common issues cause the JVM to crash under heavy workloads?

    • Are there any other tweaks that could help along with performance at runtime?

    • Anything else I should know?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/vwibrasivat
    [link] [comments]

    Some PHP interview exercises

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 03:23 AM PDT

    Currently, I'm preparing for a coding interview in my job search. As a result, I've been practicing different coding challenges.

    Here's the repo containing the exercises and tests: azdanov/php-interview-exercises.

    There are tons of resources out there online, but I couldn't find any that had a test suite in place.

    Hope someone finds this useful!

    submitted by /u/ResponsibleLife
    [link] [comments]

    Counting number of spaces in a string in LC3

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 08:46 PM PDT

    I've just doing LC3 in one of my university courses and my lecturers very broken English is making it extremely difficult. The part of my program I am struggling with needs to count the number of spaces in a string entered by the user. Here is the code so far:

    .orig x3000

    ;clear registers

    and r0, r0, 0

    and r1, r1, 0

    and r2, r2, 0 ;used to count total characters

    and r3, r3, 0 ;used to count upper-case

    and r4, r4, 0 ;used to count lower-case

    and r5, r5, 0 ;used to count spaces

    Lea r0, EnterString ;load address of EnterString to Register 0

    puts ; print out the string

    LOOP ;creates loop

    getc ;get character from keyboard and store to r0

    add r1, r0, -10

    brz OUTSIDE

    add r2, r2, #1 ;add 1 to r2, increment to counter

    out ;output text to console

    brnzp LOOP

    OUTSIDE ;breaks loop when enter is pressed

    ;count how many characters total

    Lea r0, NumChar ;load address of label

    puts

    ld r0, compCharTotal

    add r0, r0, r2

    out

    ;count spaces total

    ;count upper-case letters total

    ;count lower-case letters total

    Halt

    EnterString .stringz "Please enter a text: "

    NumChar .stringz "\nTotal characters including spaces: "

    compCharTotal .fill x30

    .end

    Just any tips on how to count/compare a character in a string would be massively appreciated!

    submitted by /u/_ChickenTacos
    [link] [comments]

    Git repo structure for a vendor app w/ customizations?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 08:24 PM PDT

    Asked this question on Stack Overflow a few months back and got no love there. I'm sure someone will tell me if this is an inappropriate post here.

    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53784316/how-do-i-design-a-source-control-strategy-for-a-product-with-vendor-updates-cu#

    submitted by /u/human6742
    [link] [comments]

    finding all possible paths between two nodes using DFS

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 08:12 PM PDT

    I'm trying to find all possible all possible paths in my graph. When I run the program I get an error saying ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException. Where do I need to fix my code to resolve this error

    ``` private int v; void printAllPaths(String s, String d) { int start=airportsHashMap.get(s).intValue(); int end=airportsHashMap.get(d).intValue(); //int DaRoute; printPaths(start,end); } public void printPaths(int s, int d) { boolean[] isVisited = new boolean[v]; ArrayList<Integer> pathList = new ArrayList<>(); //add source to path[] pathList.add(s); //Call recursive utility printAllPathsUtil(s, d, isVisited, pathList); } // A recursive function to print // all paths from 'u' to 'd'. // isVisited[] keeps track of // vertices in current path. // localPathList<> stores actual // vertices in the current path private void printAllPathsUtil(Integer u, Integer d, boolean[] isVisited, List<Integer> localPathList) { // Mark the current node isVisited[u] = true; if (u.equals(d)) { System.out.println(localPathList); // if match found then no need to traverse more till depth isVisited[u]= false; return ; } // Recur for all the vertices // adjacent to current vertex for (Integer i :adjListArray[u]) { if (!isVisited[i]) { // store current node // in path[] localPathList.add(i); printAllPathsUtil(i, d, isVisited, localPathList); // remove current node // in path[] localPathList.remove(i); } } // Mark the current node isVisited[u] = false; } ``` 

    I expected the output to look like:

    All paths between EWR and PHL

    EWR IAD ILG PHL EWR IAD PHL EWR PHL

    All paths between EWR and ILG

    EWR IAD ILG EWR IAD PHL ILG EWR PHL ILG EWR PHL IAD ILG

    submitted by /u/averagelogan
    [link] [comments]

    Possible to recreate the Google opensource explore page?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 07:55 PM PDT

    Is it possible to recreate the explore page of Google open source? Is there any library I can use or any way to obtain the source code of the website before compilation?

    submitted by /u/Richienb
    [link] [comments]

    <rant>Rude interviewers...</rant>

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 07:44 PM PDT

    So, I was interviewing with a company that had red flags all over it.

    The first round was to have a recruiter call me and describe the job role. It was primarily 40 minutes hearing about how "great" the company is. I did not learn anything about the role and red flags were raised extremely high. But, whatever might as well humour it.

    The second round I was called with 3 hours notice to prepare for 2 back to back 1-hour interviews with 2 different people. I was asked 2 Medium LeetCode coding questions in round 1 in the last 15 minutes, both which I answered correctly. I was then recommended by the interviewer to look into DevOps roles as I would have difficulties passing their developer interviews.

    This was a junior level position. I am not a junior level dev, I knew all the answers to the coding questions, the optimized solutions and then every other question they had. Maybe I was not top of my game, but when interviewers make comments like that, just not proffessional.

    I just want to remind everyone that occasionally you just have an abrasive interview experience and that luck does come in to play. Don't sweat it.

    In hindsight, fuck you bud.

    I need to ask a question, so what was your kick-in-the-dick interview experience lately?

    submitted by /u/BertRenolds
    [link] [comments]

    [Java / JAXB] How do I marshal an "unmappable" object that comes from a third-party?

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 03:54 PM PDT

    I'm using a client (third-party) library to call some of their backend web services, and am getting an object back. In order to convert this third-party object to one of my DTO objects, I'm marshaling it to XML and then unmarshaling back.

    Here's what I mean:

    Account account = client.retrieveAccounts(/* bunch of params */); String xmlResponse = marshal(account); AccountDTO dtoAccount = unmarshal(xmlResponse); // AccountDTO is my version of Account 

    For most of the web service calls, this works fine. However, some of them contain "unmappable" objects. For example, the Account class (from the third-party library) has a List<Map<String, String>> flags; as a field.

    When I view the contents of the xmlResponse string, it has every field except flags (which is just straight up missing).

    I figured this was probably because JAXB doesn't know how to map complex objects like Map to XML. From what I found online, it seems you typically need to use a XmlJavaTypeAdapter... but in this case, I can't touch the Account class to add in the necessary JAXB annotations to indicate what needs to be marshaled.

    Since Account is a third-party class that has "unmappable" fields, what can I do to marshal it properly?

    If you've ever encountered a situation like this, what did you do to handle it?

    (Also, I'm relatively new to JAXB, so I apologize if I'm missing something obvious.)

    submitted by /u/werzor
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment