• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 9, 2019

    I added 'Looney Tunes' impact walls & Grapple-Kicking to my Solo Project

    I added 'Looney Tunes' impact walls & Grapple-Kicking to my Solo Project


    I added 'Looney Tunes' impact walls & Grapple-Kicking to my Solo Project

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 05:23 AM PDT

    New weather, pretty dramatic, but I think something is still missing, any suggestions on how to improve it?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 09:23 AM PDT

    The Importance of a Good Review

    Posted: 08 Apr 2019 06:33 PM PDT

    I released my (very) indie game a bit over 2 weeks ago. You can see the visits to my steam page in the below chart:

    https://i.imgur.com/J0khK4El.png

    The first traffic spike is on March 22 when the game was released. The larger spike on April 2 comes when I got my first "real" good review. What's even more interesting is that the spike on release was composed mostly of external traffic while the huge spike for the review was composed almost entirely of steam's internal traffic. The absolute numbers may pale in comparison to some of the others who post in this sub but all in all I think this is a pretty good signal of the importance that steam's algorithm places on positive reviews!

    submitted by /u/TensionSplice
    [link] [comments]

    Am I the only one thinking like this?

    Posted: 08 Apr 2019 03:22 PM PDT

    Every single time when I'm on a 3d program, i'm ALWAYS thinking about literally ANY other videogame and think like how the heck did they make ALL those assets?

    Look at gta, that game has like 9 trillion different assets, And I, here am barely able to do the basics (yet).

    Sometimes it feels weird. I mean I know that they're big studio's but it still makes me think like how does all of that get made? Do they let them draw out 100 assets with scales for the 3d artists to create? It seems so obvious and complex.

    Also me? I'm a solo dev that's going to make a FPS horror/adventure game, and that with only free assets...

    I think I can come far. I have to make some stuff myself but most of the assets I need is already there by UE4's freeassets, I can't possibly imagine having to spend WEEKS to just model a Chair table and other things in household items, anyone else think the same way??

    submitted by /u/Tornado_Hunter24
    [link] [comments]

    Reinventing God of War

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 09:39 AM PDT

    A demo on Steam, yay or nay?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 09:44 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I have been wondering if it's a good idea to get a public demo out there, like 2 weeks before release.
    I know the common knowledge says that releasing a demo is bad, however I have been trying to get data on games that did this, but I'm only able to find data on games that released demos and were successful with it.

    Two games that I have checked are Home Sweet Home , they release a public demo before release, the comments on their forums at the time of the demo are not stellar, but it seems it worked.

    Remothered : Tormented fathers is another game that released a public demo, again some bad comments on their forums but it worked to get the word out and I think it did good for them.

    If you guys have any data available on this, it would be very helpful :)
    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Sky_HDMI
    [link] [comments]

    3500~ free UI/interface SFX (CC 4.0 Attribution)

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 10:08 AM PDT

    Hey guys! A few years back, I put together a sound effects pack for free and released it here and it took off really well. I'm back again.

    I originally meant to release this pack as a paid product, but I've hit a rough spot financially and I'd rather give it away for free/pay-what-you-want as I've found a few people often donate to help out anyway. If you can donate, anything helps out.

    I think the work is pretty solid, and worth checking out if you're making a game that requires interface SFX. They mainly fit the JRPG/Mobile genre but they could be used anywhere honestly.

    https://obsydianx.itch.io/interface-sfx-pack-3

    Examples on my itch.io page.

    submitted by /u/obsydianx
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone need music/a soundtrack for their upcoming projects?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 10:05 AM PDT

    Hey, I'm a music producer by the alias of GODONTGO. I've been releasing music of all types of genres for some time and I'm looking to switch things up a bit. I've always had a thing for gaming and I think it'd be a good change of pace for me to compose a game soundtrack. I'm not looking to charge much for my work this time around, so just comment/message me with what you're working on, and if it's something I connect with I'd be interested in working on the music for it :)

    Here are some examples of my work - GODONTGO - Exo

    GODONTGO - Point of No Return

    GODONTGO - Find Me

    GODONTGO - Who's That

    submitted by /u/GODONTGOmusic
    [link] [comments]

    2D Game Engine for Web from scratch - JavaScript WebGL

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 09:30 AM PDT

    Hi!

    This is Thief Engine , a 2D Game Engine I developed as end-of-degree project and it is written in Javascript, WebGL and GLSL. The engine is written from scratch 💻

    The goal of this project is to serve as Portfolio, proving that I really have certain game programming related knowledg 🎮

    This is not my first game engine and will not be the last. Currently, this is my fourth attempt to create a modest, tiny and lightweight game engine. (none of the game engine on Earth are tiny). I have tried with C++, Java, Python and now it's the turn of JS.

    The good thing is that I have learned about powerful, complex and weird stuff like Game Engine Architecture, Graphics Engine Architecture, how to read huge programming books, Physics Engine Architecture, Collision Detection Algorithms, Scripting and much more 📚

    I highly recommend it if you want to really learn about video games internals/game engine programming.

    Well... maybe if you want to learn about algebra, arithmetic, trigonometry, numerical integration/differentiation, vector operations, affine transformations, geometry and physics too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    Why did I name it Thief Engine? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    Here is a list of features:

    • Component-Entity-System based
    • Custom 2D Render engine
    • Texture Loader
    • SpriteSheet animation
    • Textures Atlas support
    • Box2D Web Physics Engine
    • AABB and Circle colliders
    • Simple Scripting Engine
    • Seedable Random function
    • Perlin Noise generator

    I decided to share it with the community, feel free to ask anything or suggest any improvement! 😊

    https://github.com/AdrianECom/ThiefEngine

    submitted by /u/Adrianensis
    [link] [comments]

    Best strategy for player interaction in a MMO strategy game

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 07:51 AM PDT

    I am designing a MMO strategy game with some components of trading cards games. Basically, the user can collect characters with different abilities (the more he progresses in the game, the stronger the characters are) and build a team to challenge other users or bot teams. The strategy and fun do not lie in the match itself, which is resolved (semi) automatically, but before the match, when the user defines his strategy. Between one match and the next one, the user collects and spends resources to improve the team.

    Now, by looking at other games that I know, I identified different options for the match mechanics:

    - The interactions (matches) between players are scheduled at a specific time of the day (week), like in a tournament, and the users have to prepare their teams on time (otherwise, default strategy options are applied). Then the match resolvers automatically

    - The user finds an opponent online and challenges him. They schedule the match and everything goes as the previous case

    - The users finds an opponent online. The match starts immediately, with a short pre-match strategy setup. In this case there is some real-time synchronization between the users before the match resolves, which makes the development slightly more complex

    Now, this choice strongly impacts the game from different perspectives (development, audience, possibly the platform). I don't know what could be the best one to take, so I would like to know what are your opinions and if there are some sources that I can check regarding the most popular trends in this kind of games.

    submitted by /u/fralbalbero
    [link] [comments]

    Unity wins its first Technology and Engineering Emmy® Award

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 11:34 AM PDT

    How I separated 5gb @ 10k+ unused src files (Unity) in 2hrs

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 07:43 AM PDT

    (!!) This will cost you $24 for a Unity asset that I'm not affiliated with (!!)

    So, our project was getting huge. We kept all our source files together during the early days because we kept changing our minds, so it made sense (at the time) and it wasn't that crazy back then. "We'll split src one day".

    Welp, 3 years later.... 10gb /Assets dir full of bloaty crap, 1/2 unused. After mass research, I found the best solution that magically worked on the 1st try:

    1. Grab "Maintainer" asset for $24 (worth it - from the same dev that makes Anti-Cheat Toolkit - works well, very polished, and the dev is speedy-responsive on the forum): https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/maintainer-32199 (EDIT: You may want to wait until the latest version is released. The current one was released in January that had a breaking bug and I received a dev build that will be released SOON that fixed the bug. Or you can contact the dev and he'll toss you a dev build)
    2. Download + Import + Open Maintainer, then go to the Project Cleaner tab
    3. Backup (git commit)!
    4. Open up Maintainer >> Click "Use Trash Bin" (THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP!!)
    5. Optional: Uncheck "Rescan after new context ignore" (so you can bulk ignore, then rescan later).
    6. Search for: Unused assets + Empty folders. DONT AUTOCLEAN!
    7. Click "Manage Filters" >> Add:
      1. Extension: .dll
      2. Dir: "Assets/Plugins"
      3. Dir: "Assets/Resources"
      4. Dir: "Assets/StreamingAssets"
      5. Dir: "Assets/UnityPackages"
      6. Dir: "Assets/Editor"
      7. Extension: ".dll" (Probably falls within /Plugins, but just in case)
      8. Dir: {path/to/your/scenes/dir}, eg "Assets/Scenes"
      9. Dir: "Assets/{Any parent dir you want in its entirety}", eg, "Assets/Facepunch.Steamworks". Don't worry: If you miss important dirs, you'll have a chance to add them to ignore later.
    8. Now, click "Scan Project" at the top.
    9. Spend about 15 minutes ready to just quickly scan through each page to make sure you don't have anything that's disconnected from your project, but you don't want to separate it from src (for whatever reason). Go through each page, scan scan scan....
    10. If you see a FILE you want to keep, right click >> Ignore >> Path
    11. If you see a DIR you want to keep, just add the path directly via the "Manage Filters" button (the "Add parent dir" right click ignore option doesn't add the TOP parent, so it's a bit useless).
    12. Now, you probably added some things to ignore. Click "Scan Project", again, for the final scan.
    13. Empty your trash bin. This will be restored right after. Make sure you have enough room in there (max space options).
    14. Click "Delete selected garbage". This will send all your stuff to trash bin.
    15. Rename your "/Assets" dir to "/Assets2"
    16. Open up your trash bin >> Select all >> Right click >> RESTORE
    17. Now, ALL of your files will be restored to your projects "/Assets" dir in perfect hierarchy (keeping the hierarchy is the coolest part about this). This is your src! Move it somewhere. Google Drive, its own asset repo, however you want to deal with it your src assets.
    18. Go back to your project dir and rename "/Assets2" back to "/Assets"
    19. Restart Unity >> Wait a long time for Unity to catch up on file changes >> YOU'RE DONE!

    ____

    It's a pain, and it's 19 steps, but it's not as bad as it looks. And it's totally worth it because Unity is HORRIBLE at handling large projects. Every time you click out and click back in, it scans your entire project (even the unused files) for changes. Every time you press play and stop, it scans your entire project. It also gets really crashy and confused when your project gets huge.

    I wish I did this long ago. Anyway, hope I helped someone. The dev said he'll, one day, officially add a feature that does this.

    submitted by /u/xblade724
    [link] [comments]

    How i made a wireframe effect in my online procedural game Possibilities

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 08:09 AM PDT

    A question for hobbyist devs

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 09:30 AM PDT

    How do you find/make time for game development?

    Follow up question: Among your hobbies, how would you rank game dev in relation to your other hobbies?

    Adult life is very demanding, and like a lot of people, I have to work (in a nonrelated industry) to pay bills and I am without much of the free time I enjoyed when I was still in college. I also understand that some also have children or other family that may require care or supervision. So whatever free time is left after all of those responsibilities and obligations is what a person has left for their hobbies, I'd assume.

    I've really tried to dial back the number of hobbies I have, and I struggle to find the time to do game development. Admittedly, I'm still in the early stages of learning on the programming side, so at the moment it feels a lot like work, and I often end up defaulting to some other hobby I have (though I realize that this is more of a motivation issue than of time).

    submitted by /u/NivixShaper
    [link] [comments]

    How to decide the consumption ratio between resources

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 08:39 AM PDT

    How do you normally go by designing the consumption ratio between resources? For example, a popular indie game Factorio has quite a few resources and their relations are usually pretty complex and unpredictable. E.g. one of the simplest resources is "iron" that can be produced by two types of miners. One miner requires 9 iron plates, 5 stones, 300 kW power; the other requires 23 iron plates, 4.5 copper plates and 90 kW power. [1] My question is how do you determine and test the seemingly random numbers 9, 5, 300, 23, 4.5, 90 etc...

    Things I tried/thought about:

    • Start with random numbers. Play the game tons of times and keep changing constants until you like the gameplay. This might be the only option but I do not like this option because it is not scalable. If you have too many resources it's a combinatoric problem to test all combinations, and a hard problem for inexperienced game developers to find a good heuristic. This approach requires only 3 things: experience, experience, experience, and tons of time.

    • I tried writing a simple AI with decision trees and made them play the game on random configurations until I observe some AIs playing like my target gameplay (can solve the game somewhere around 1 min to 2 min, anything shorter or longer is bad i.e. too easy or too hard). This approach has some merits and much more scalable but also has some problems. (1) it's not easy to transfer AI behavior to player behavior and vice versa (2) you're still solving a combinatoric problem (it's ok if your game is short, you can keep trying random configurations but it's not easy if your game is long). (3) It's not clear what you're optimizing, it's not easy to automate choosing which AIs performed like the target. E.g. too easy/too hard doesn't necessary mean not engaging.

    • Maybe build backwards? Start with end game resources and simply think about the time it'll take to the last game state from a reasonably enjoyable game state before that one and keep calculating. I tried this, but this is too complex because it feels like you need to solve a recurrence relation. Last resources may still depend on very early resources and the graph start having loops pretty fast. Maybe my math is wrong. I thought this approach is brilliant, but couldn't quite figure out how to produce numbers. It seems like given a recurrence relation solver black box, I can solve this though.

    Any ideas? (I'm a software engineer so please feel free to/you're encouraged to use mathy language; I don't know much about game design; I'm a hobbyist)

    [1] https://wiki.factorio.com/Mining

    submitted by /u/BrokenWineGlass
    [link] [comments]

    DevStreak - A Discord server for keeping up a streak of daily productivity

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 12:08 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I've been working on/running a Discord server to encourage daily productivity. You set your own rules on what counts as progress and the StreakBot will take care of the rest.

    Using a command, you can start a streak in a channel (art, gameplay, learning, etc) and keep it up every day. The StreakBot will warn you before the day is over and at the end of the day will announce the top scores for each channel just for a little extra motivation bump.

    We've recently hit over 350 streak updates and even a 30 day streak! DevStreak is a regularly-expanding project with our next step being opening up the API and creating a frontend to show off streaks and media.

    The StreakBot is also fully open source and available on GitHub, here.

    If DevStreak sounds like a useful way for you to get into the habit of working on a project and doing something every day, then come check out our Discord here.

    submitted by /u/Sekaru
    [link] [comments]

    where does piracy occur most?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 12:08 PM PDT

    actually I'm trying to find some legit sites which can tell me where and at how many percentage video game piracy happens. it would be much better if they can tell specific to what country why piracy happens. if you know anything of such website or articles please share it would be appreciated. if you have anything else or some opinion regarding piracy out of this websites then please do share, i would like to know.

    submitted by /u/sanketvaria29
    [link] [comments]

    Is Pygame still based on SDL1.2 or is now based on SDL2?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 04:33 AM PDT

    Question above.

    I want to make Game Development at schools, I have already made some games in C/C++ with SDL2.
    Python would be a little easier to learn, but what i read, pygame is still based on SDL1.2.

    I know there are keybindings for python and sdl2, but no "native support". I would choose still C/C++ over that.

    submitted by /u/eder113
    [link] [comments]

    First Trailer for Rushaug: Project Emerald, A Solo Project Eight Years in the Making

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 11:29 AM PDT

    2d explosives in unity

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 11:23 AM PDT

    Equivalent of Forrester's "Urban dynamics" or Alexander's "A Pattern Langage" to other domains for simulation than city building?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 03:50 AM PDT

    When watching this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrScy1icWjI&t=715s ), I bought the books that were mentioned as influential in the design of SimCity, and reading them I realized the huge impact they had on the game, how the simulation is well-thought, at the same time very compact and very rich in what it tries to represent.

    And I was wondering, is there similar books in other domains than urban planning and city building ? I am particularly interested in civilization dynamics or political dynamics, how structure of powere are built, how they fail and are toppled etc...

    Or maybe this question should be asked in r/proceduralgeneration or other more relevant subreddit ?

    submitted by /u/theRealNayefLivio
    [link] [comments]

    I love both UE4 and Unity! How do I chose?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 11:20 AM PDT

    Hi, guys!

    I carefully chose the title to show right off the bat that this is not one of those toxic Unity vs UE4 threads where OP is already biased towards one or the other. This is more about - how do I chose one over the other for specific project, what criteria should I take into consideration? I'm especially interested to hear from people who worked or work with both engines, how do you make a decision? Or if you decided to stick with one engine for everything - why did you chose it? What's your experience? This is the main question of this topic. The rest is just to give some more information and perspective from my end.

    My experience

    I have a fair amount of experience with both UE4 and Unity. I work professionally in game development as Animator, Tech Animator and Tools Dev. I have lots of Python experience coming from that. I also use it for lots of hobby projects, like web apps and the like. I have experience prototyping indie games on Unity (C#) and UE4(Mostly BPs, with just a bit of C++), as well as some experience coding some animation-related parts professionally.

    At this moment I think I have about equal knowledge of both engines, I feel myself fairly comfortable in either one, in general.

    Our team

    We're a small team of 3 people, and all coding is mostly on me. I'm not a pro in C# or C++ coding, but I consider myself capable of developing a full game, we're not talking AAA here anyway.

    What we work on

    Our current concepts include ideas like top-down shooters, third-person shooters and adventure games, which both engines are perfectly capable of delivering. We do have plans to include some fun physics based gameplay, and coop multiplayer.

    Concerns

    My main concerns are about coding and gameplay features, mostly. Graphics is not an issue, both engines provide enough tools for what we need. Animation is fine in both. Physics fine, though Unity feels a bit more fun for physics gameplay. UE4's toolbox beats Unity's hands down of course, AI, Materials, Animation, Terrain, etc etc. But do we need all those tools really? Unity is much more lightweight, both engine and games on it.

    Coding, however...

    In terms of comfort and speed of development for me it goes like this: UE4 BPs > Unity C# > UE4 C++, with BPs being the fastest way to code and prototype. They fall short on tasks which are not exposed to BPs or which require a lot of logic and switching, like procedural level generation. This is much faster to do plain text code. But I genuinely suck at UE4's C++.

    I'm much more comfortable with Unity's C# than UE4's C++, I find Unity's API and Documentation much more intuitive and easy to use, for me. I spend so much less time coding with C# in Unity than I spend with UE4 C++.

    I could learn C++ and UE4's CPP API, but I feel like it may be just a huge time sink, especially since I don't plan to become a full time C++ programmer.

    So, I worked with Unity a fair bit, then I switched to UE4, and now I'm at a point where I need to make the 'final' choice, I suppose. But whenever I think of using one engine, I immediately start missing features that the other engine has. It drives me nuts :D

    With Unity I feel like I'm more in control but have to do more stuff, where's UE4 feels like it leads me and helps me and tells me how to do stuff, but at the same time is a bit harder to bend it to do something out of the ordinary. But again, I know that no one will answer this question for me, not directly at least. The main question of this topic is at the top of this post :)

    Thanks for your time and attention!

    submitted by /u/Nixellion
    [link] [comments]

    Would you recommend Trello or HacknPlan for Game developemnt managmnet

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 11:11 AM PDT

    As an single developer, I see a lot of people using Trello to manage there game development, but I've heard of another software called HackNPlan. What is you experience with the two, do you have a recommendation for a single game developer?

    submitted by /u/Gamegenorator
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I learn visual effects for games?

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 11:08 AM PDT

    Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to this, but I'm interested in in learning VFX. I started using unity, but I have heard that eventually I should use Houdini. But with Houdini you are unable to export or use the Houdini engine with the free version. Also is learning programming required? Are there any courses that can help? Thanks for your help.

    submitted by /u/momosour
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment