• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 18, 2019

    How to make Dynamic Ambient Sound in your game with just 3 lines of code

    How to make Dynamic Ambient Sound in your game with just 3 lines of code


    How to make Dynamic Ambient Sound in your game with just 3 lines of code

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 11:20 PM PDT

    Infinity Square/Space. Open source game prototype. Unity. Available on GitHub.

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 08:05 AM PDT

    Recreated the Warp Strike from FFXV using Unity!

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 05:09 AM PDT

    My kickstarter is failing and trending towards $141, what am I doing wrong?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 11:07 AM PDT

    I've run a successful Kickstarter before, so I'm perplexed to why a more polished, further along in development project with a better trailer and art is doing so poorly. It could be any number of reasons, so I was hoping someone could point me towards the right mistakes. Is it just a lack of marketing? Is the project too deep into development? Are the backer tiers too low?

    Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by posting the kickstarter linker here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1619485858/singularity-tactics-arena

    submitted by /u/AMemoryofEternity
    [link] [comments]

    Ever wondered what impact Youtubers could have on your Indie Game? Take a peek at our statistics.

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 01:45 AM PDT

    You guy use non standard TLDs for website?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 11:31 AM PDT

    I'm thinking of getting a .world

    submitted by /u/rapidlyprototyping
    [link] [comments]

    Automatic flow map generation in Substance Designer

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 06:07 AM PDT

    I though I made a solid mobile game, whats wrong with it?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 04:40 AM PDT

    Hey guys, a few months ago I started working on a mobile game.

    I invested much time and effort for art style and game mechanics and thought I did a good job. Art, code, design. Everything done by myself. But it seems like nobody cares. So maybe you can give me good feedback, tips on marketing or just telling me the hard truth that the market is just to big to get attention.

    https://reddit.com/link/bekij7/video/nkj3y6dqe0t21/player

    submitted by /u/Dandan_Dev
    [link] [comments]

    I have a new mobile game app - “Guess who's gonna die in next episode of Games of Thrones”

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 12:52 PM PDT

    Crowdl.io - Tool for crowd-translating games (and anything)

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 10:02 AM PDT

    Hi! I'm the dev of https://crowdl.io. Crowdl is thought a tool that allows developers to leave the job of translating games to its players, while focusing on developing.

    It was already implemented on games like deeeep.io, raaaaft.io and microgravity.io, and was successful in every case.

    It's free to use and I can help with implementation if any developer wants to try it.

    I post it here because it's focused mainly on (web) games, although it can also be used for a lot of other cases, as translations can be exported and are language agnostic.

    It's in active development so any kind of feedback and ideas are welcome.

    submitted by /u/crowdl
    [link] [comments]

    I'm applying for a 2D Level Designer's job and I need some advice

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 10:54 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    So I'm a Game Designer as my day job, and I've always been interested in Level Design.

    I've made some small(ish) 3D level design projects, but never for 2D.

    There's a job that I'm going to apply for which is for a 2.5D platformer, and I'd just like some advice.

    What should I show off? What should I work on? Is 3D level design enough?

    My portfolio shows the games that I've worked on, as well as some projects that I worked in my spare time. I've not done Level Design professionally, only some level decoration. Level Design is mainly something I do in my spare time.

    So I'd just like a bit of advice!

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/HD5HJ
    [link] [comments]

    Indie Horror Postmortem: No marketing whatsoever

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 07:34 PM PDT

    by the numbers

    The story so far: There was a weird little horror game I'd wanted to make for a really long time, so I got up early for a few months and made it before going to work. I released it for free ($1 recommended donation) on itchio without any marketing. No social media, no devlog to speak of, nada. I considered it a form of self sabotage, since I haven't released a game publicly for many years. I was nervous how it would be received.

    The attached image shows the analytics to this point. It's fun to know that 1,001 people have played the game. I didn't expect anyone to buy it, honestly. The first person to do so was the wife of a close friend, and I thought that would be it. I'm a little shocked that 4 strangers actually liked it enough to donate a buck. That feels good.

    I've been a game developer since around 2005, mostly making Flash games for corporations before Flash died. I stopped working on my own projects for a long time, and am glad I finally forced myself to get back to it.

    Now that I see people are willing to give weird little games a shot, I think I'll continue to work on projects early in the mornings. It's a good excuse to be creative and share my ideas with at least a small audience.

    Take this as a lesson that you probably already knew: Indie development without any marketing will never make you rich, but if you're lucky, some nice people will make gameplay videos of themselves enjoying your work, and that's pretty great in and of itself.

    EDIT: By way of clarification, I consider these metrics a HUGE success. I was never looking to earn dollar 1 with this game. I just wanted to see if I could make something worth playing, and it appears I did that. Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/mutual_fishmonger
    [link] [comments]

    Google Ad campaign from Google Play Console

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 07:45 AM PDT

    If you set up an ad campaign for your app from the Google Play Console, what you get is a Google Ads campaign that you have no control over. You can't schedule, assign keywords, or anything. I gave it a shot, thinking maybe Google knew a thing or two about app distribution. What I'm finding is that it performs extremely poorly, almost as if it is a scam to soak money from the unsuspecting dev.

    My traditional Ad campaign for my website that uses relevant keywords gets about 4.0 percent click rate, while the app campaign gets about 0.17 percent click rate, and costs a lot of money. I'm still new at this and I wonder if there is some hidden benefit to using the app campaign they provided. or is it really just a scam?

    submitted by /u/cephalo2
    [link] [comments]

    Technical Sound Design, Audio Programming and Composition

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 09:32 AM PDT

    Hi I'm offering free audio work. Im currently studying a BA Game Audio and looking for projects to join. I have experience in Unity, Unreal and also in Wwise.

    If interested get in touch, you can contact me on here or on this email: orionzaneaudio@gmail.com

    For personal music visit https://soundcloud.com/orionzaneaudio

    For orchestral example and youtube visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gefIFn2wIQs

    submitted by /u/OrionZaneAudio
    [link] [comments]

    Any solutions about slow online game that I made and deploy on AWS?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 09:12 AM PDT

    Hi. I know, the title is not explaining anything. I will try to explain my situation here. I recently tried to make an online RPG game with my existing code knowledge. The game uses Node.js, sockets and as the Client, it uses Godot Engine. I use Godot Engine to TCP connect to my Node.js server and play according to the inputs. Should I use UDP? I am applying what I read about multiplayer online gaming (for example, I am serializing the classes before I send it to the server, I am only sending primary variables like int, string etc. ), but still, the game is really playing low. I mean, when I run the server at localhost, it runs at normal speed and I can play the game even 60 FPS with one player, but when I try to run it at AWS EC2 free-tier, it really runs slow. Why am I using the free-tier? Because I am indie game developer and I cannot use the better options. I think, free-tier is 1GB CPU RAM, 1 TB transfer. I probably doing something wrong but is it something about my coding or should I need better CPU for the game? I can give the .exe or .dmg if you want to try the game out. (It is not finished, just a character walks on a map and attacks.)

    Do you have any ideas?

    submitted by /u/Sphynxinator
    [link] [comments]

    AbleGamers charity launches site to get devs and players with disabilities talking

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 06:40 AM PDT

    Some questions to anyone who has published/developed for the Switch

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 12:35 PM PDT

    1) What costs are involved with publishing a game for the Switch (Dev kit, fees, etc)?

    2) How much of the sales does Nintendo take?

    3) Once we have a complete product, how long will should we expect for it to take at minimum to become live on the console?

    4) Do they have a list of guidelines to follow for the content of the game?

    submitted by /u/onamonapea_
    [link] [comments]

    gta rp FIVEM server dev

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 12:27 PM PDT

    need person/s to code and develop a gta rp server. insanely cool ideas and a fun / good group of people excited for this, this wont be developed from scratch but we all have extremely fun, cool and REALISTIC ideas for this. this server will go far and id highly suggest being apart of it! :)

    submitted by /u/OnlyZinq
    [link] [comments]

    How does Overwatch handle knockbacks?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 01:03 AM PDT

    Right, so I'm at a stopping point in my project where I need to handle knockbacks for clients. I'm using a server authoritative approach, with client-side prediction and reconciliation, hitbox rewinding, etc.

    Attempt #1 -> Handling knockback on the server:
    As expected, if I move the player on the server alone, client-side prediction would freak out and glitch until the knockback is over. This is obviously out of the question.

    Attempt #2 -> Semi server authoritative:
    I can predict where the shot went on the client (it's already done on the server anyway), and the server can wait for a few frames for the client acknowledges the shot, but if he never acknowledges or takes too long, force him to get knockbacked on the server. The issue with this, is that I would need to send the exact location that the client shot from the server, which would induce a lot more lag.

    These were the two methods I tried, I can't think of another one that would make sense. So I turned to try to understand how Overwatch handles it for a character like Lucio, but I couldn't find any information on it. I appreciate any help!

    submitted by /u/iAmZhav
    [link] [comments]

    Junior software developer and the struggle

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 08:22 AM PDT

    I've started a junior software developer job without any previous experience. This is my first language that I have to use to build the feature. Now I'm currently stucked with implementing the feature because my programming skills aren't enough for building the feature and I can't really ask for help from seniors (I've tried) because they aren't familiar with the software that I have to use to build the feature, I'm the only one that has used the software and knows his way around it a bit. I have tried to find tutorials on the internet or documentations to help me move on, but tutorials and documentations are poorly written or aren't exactly the things I need to be able to build the feature. I've asked my boss for help, and all he does is sending me the same tutorials and documentations I have already seen, or he directs me to other seniors but they don't know much. What do you suggest me to do in this situation?

    submitted by /u/Boozer1188
    [link] [comments]

    What softwares are good for making soundtracks/sound fx?

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 11:55 AM PDT

    I have a copy of Ableton Live 10 Lite but it's is quite limiting cause it is a lite version. The cheapest version without these limitiating factors start around 200€ (if I stayed with Ableton) but that's just too much for me as a high schooler.

    Does anyone here use other programms and might can recommend something cheaper than the full version of Ableton?

    submitted by /u/hiqven
    [link] [comments]

    Multiplayer without a budget.

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 11:36 AM PDT

    As an indie developer, we don't have thousands to throw into dedicated servers, storage and general resources. What's a cheap and reliable way for players to connect?

    Possibilities I can think to is:

    • Peer-to-peer (unsure on how it works however, I think it might need an middleman server to connect the players together...)
    • Run a small server at home and make the networking very minimal (wouldn't work well for fast paced networked games).
    • Invest in a third party networking/cloud computing service (eg. Google Cloud I believe is used a lot for this sort of stuff, but can get expensive as cost is per hour, meaning you'll be spending money even if no one is playing).
    • Have players manually set up their own servers (used by a lot of indie games but is messy if your game depends on multiplayer as not all users know how to port forward and set up a server and makes playing with random people difficult as you'll need to find the server yourself).

    Any other solutions or opinions? I am very inexperienced with networking and I would love to hear some more advice!

    submitted by /u/VoidEpoch
    [link] [comments]

    I think what I like most about games, and the idea of making them, is AI. What do you think someone could do with information?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 09:10 PM PDT

    I read this comment and I'm wondering what you guys think I should lean toward when it comes to learning gamedev, considering what I really seem to love is AIs and simulations

    My favorite games, and the kinds I want to make, are all simulations. Sim city, Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld, Oxygen Not Included(I love the gasses simulation), Banished and well, I'm sure there are many more.

    I love digital ant farms! Anyone like me? What can this insight do for me? What should I learn or make as, relatively, a beginner (I've made pong and a 2D space shooter)

    I've begun working on a colony sim and from the first moment my little Dwarf checked his wood stockpiles and took off to chop a tree, mmm feels so good

    submitted by /u/Eofbfkkwbdb
    [link] [comments]

    New Babylon.js Video Series on the 4.0 Inspector Tool: Part 3

    Posted: 18 Apr 2019 11:12 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment