• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 23, 2019

    How Fortnite’s success led to months of intense crunch at Epic Games

    How Fortnite’s success led to months of intense crunch at Epic Games


    How Fortnite’s success led to months of intense crunch at Epic Games

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 08:55 AM PDT

    Joining my first game jam this week with no team, tips?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 05:39 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm participating to my first game jam this week (Copenhagen) and i was wondering if you guys got any tips for me.

    I'm going there with no team so any advice or stuff i should be prepared for would be nice to know.

    I already updated all my software on my laptop and created a trello + discord server in case i manage to team up.

    Anything you think would be useful ?

    submitted by /u/narsXDXD
    [link] [comments]

    How to use Steam broadcasting when launching your game!

    Posted: 22 Apr 2019 01:34 PM PDT

    Disclaimer:

    I'm part of an indie dev team that knows more about code, modeling, designing and finally making a game, and less about publishing one. My experience in these matters, such as it is: This is the second title I've been developing, the first was published in 2017 by an experienced publisher (Square Enix) and most importantly, it had proper launch budget (which I'm not allowed disclosing or discussing).

    I've gathered here some of the things I've learned lately and put them together. Of course this is not a guarantee for a great launch, just what I believe is the best option for an indie studio with limited resources like my own. Also, throughout this post I'll use examples that worked for the title I've just released last Thursday.

    Last, but not least, this is going to be quite a long post! Fair warning has been given, let us begin now!

    Hey there,

    The greatest risk we all face when launching on Steam is getting our game lost in the huge abyss called The Steam Store. Yet, nobody knows exactly how this black box works.

    As a developer that has just launched her game last week on Steam Early Access I've gathered and tested some insights about how to get featured by Steam.

    Although I'll briefly mention some of the most important here:

    • localize you game
    • localize your Steam Page
    • have your game tags in place
    • have the best trailer you can afford
    • spend some time with your art capsule
    • pay attention to the top-right short description text of the game
    • add a launch discount: 10% works just fine

    this post is about how we used Steam Broadcasting to push and finally get some store visibility for the release of our game.

    What we did?

    Short answer: We used Steam to broadcast a 7 hour Launch Stream Marathon. You can fully see it here.

    The long version:

    Preparation phase

    1. Technical Preparations:

    We wanted to have a live stream not only in Steam Store but also in Twitch, so we used Restream & OBS for that.

    Here is a useful link provided by Steam on how to set up your broadcast. Here is a link for Restream. It's free, and as far as we know, the best way to simultaneously stream live video to more than one platform.

    In terms of OBS setup, we have used its powerful option of setting multiple scenes with different arrangements (I/O). We had scenes set up for every part of our program plus a couple of pause scenes. Each scene had its own image overlay with info about what was going on. Some of them had video insertions, some game and some live camera. And the best thing, everything was remote controlled by one of our colleagues (zee direktor). So no more stretching over the table or leaning to one side to fiddle with OBS. Yeey!

    2. We promoted the Livestream. Where?

    • On Keymalier. This is a platform that allows you to send keys to verified content creators. All streamers that received Bossgard keys were kindly asked to join the stream or to co-host it. Keymailer is free to use tool, but some of the most important features like "find gamers" or "analytics" are available only for a paid subscription.
    • On Facebook - we scheduled a 500$ paid Facebook Ad that was supposed to start just after the stream started. We had some glitches with that, as it didn't start when it was supposed to and the cost per click was way too high. If you try it, make sure they approve your ad before the launch day, just to be safe.
    • On Steam with an announcement that emphasized the launch stream
    • On Steam with an event - this sends extra notifications
    • On mail: used the newsletter subscribers list - approx 4500 people
    • On social media channels, obviously!

    3. We've sent invitations to about 15 local streamers and made a schedule of the event.

    A long stream works best with a schedule. And with professionals! Our guests, 2 Romanian content creators, joined our effort not only by being present, but also by co-hosting our stream on Twitch. They were both suuuper nice and helped immensely! Many thanks to baabuska and Bobospider.

    Execution phase

    You can make good use of Steam interface and customize the Steam broadcast. It's a great place for showing up what's happening as lots of viewers might drop in at any time. The minimised broadcast window that appear on your Steam page might look like this after customization.

    https://i.redd.it/0ni6n8i2jvt21.png

    The stream focused, as expected, on the game. Lots of "let's play" moments periodically followed by "giveaway" intermezzos & some other actions to spice things up:

    • launch the game live? Yesss, we actually pressed the button live.
    • talk about why Early Access
    • have guests!
    • more guests? The more the merrier! Let them play your game for the very first time!
    • AMA?
    • play with developers sessions! We opened the server and played with those that had the game.
    • use Twitch live interactions. We developed one especially for streaming and interacting with viewers.
    • celebrate one team member's birthday? Of course! (impromptu)

    In order to jump from one session to another OBS allows you to make multiple scenes. You can custom up as you want. Here are some examples.

    https://i.redd.it/b8sjzi2tjvt21.jpg

    https://i.redd.it/k0r3t85yjvt21.jpg

    https://i.redd.it/47hc7i4zjvt21.jpg

    The actual stream looked like this.

    https://i.redd.it/9m8eyfbrkvt21.jpg

    What else?

    The second day we re-broadcasted the event, mentioning that it's a pre-recorded material. We kept the chat live though, so we got a good chance of talking to more people who wanted to know about the game.

    The Results

    Our stream had a maximum of 230 simultaneous viewers. At the same time the best broadcast on Steam had 3500 viewers, so we were quite far from it.

    Still, we got featured in a couple of places:

    1. Early Access Main Page Carousel ( English, Chinese, Brazilian Portuguese)
    2. We were and still are present in first 6 games on "Early Access New and Trending "
    3. Under 10 Euros (only in Europe)
    4. Recommended specials
    5. On first page when searching tags as "Indie", "Casual" or "Action"

    Take away?

    We love streaming. It is a great way to interact with your community. We made our own streaming corner in the studio and started pondering on what other crazy stuff to do in order to reach our audience. Couple of ideas:

    • Monday Meetup - talk about what's coming
    • Wednesday Build Day - launch the new version live
    • Friday Play with The Devs - get feedback on the latest stuff we've messed up

    If you have ideas about other stuff that we can try out, please let us know.

    If you find this helpful, please show some love and wishlist/try the game and do not forget to spread the word about Bossgard, the only game where you can fight gluten like a Viking!

    submitted by /u/LettaPP
    [link] [comments]

    Why don't mobile games utilise the touch and motion controls often?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 05:51 AM PDT

    The one game that I remember using this was, and still is, Fruit Ninja.

    Like obviously, it doesn't have to be Nintendo level of quality. But where are the interesting new game mechanics that can only be done on smart phones?

    Are there any games that you played that are like this?

    Edit:

    Motion controls

    • Several Racing games
    • Doodle Jump
    • There is a game about stacking a burger that uses motion controls but I can't find it.

    Touch controls

    • Florence
    • Monument Valley
    submitted by /u/TheeInternetPerson
    [link] [comments]

    Blender 2.8 Fast Carve : Bool Union & Edit Primitives

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 08:23 AM PDT

    Modular Assets Creation

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 04:37 AM PDT

    So, I have been using Blender for a while and would like create models for games now. I was wondering if modular asset creation is the standard/effective method of going around it or creating whole models and just exporting them. And if it is relative, when should each method be used?

    submitted by /u/Betelbeer
    [link] [comments]

    Is anyone looking for a game audio developer?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 09:28 AM PDT

    I have finished my degree in audio technology and one of my modules was audio for games. I really liked it, found it very interesting. I used fmod to impliment the sounds that we mostly recorded foley. Any game developers here looking for someone with these kind of skills to do work for them?

    submitted by /u/IGetYounger
    [link] [comments]

    Just made my first ever submission to PAX Indie Megabooth! What should I expect?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 10:57 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    So I was super excited this morning to submit my game to PAX West! I've spent the past week or so prepping, and getting my demo, and everything ready for the submission and finally hit the button!

    I was wondering if anyone here has made it into the Megabooth before, and what the process was like? I was also wondering what sort of costs I should account for if I get accepted. I live near Seattle, and have friends in that area I can stay with, so I don't really need to worry about travel or hotel expenses. Also, I requested a Minibooth space.

    Thanks everyone!

    submitted by /u/JawDroppinAwesome
    [link] [comments]

    3D world: Modular vs Full level import

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 12:52 PM PDT

    What are advantages and disadvantages of both methods? What method do you find easier? I use Blender and can go for either. I would like to make environments which do not look repetitive while rendering efficiently. Is modular approach always faster? A lot of people seem to recommend it. While single level important means you can do an unique area, all in 3D modeling app. (I tried modular approach and it seems it will get ugly very quickly having lots of pieces for walls / floors / ceilings / furniture / etc)

    submitted by /u/Alastor001
    [link] [comments]

    Mixing Top Down Perspectives: A Big No-no?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 06:44 AM PDT

    I'm making up a game in which the main character will be driving a car, but many of the enemies will be just people. Cars are easier to create from a true top down view as I'll only need to rotate the sprite, but humanoids look kindof lacking in detail from that angle and I want to design some of the enemies and environments in a 3/4 top down view so the player can see their personality. Do you think mixing these is a huge no go?

    submitted by /u/Burninator22222
    [link] [comments]

    KumoWorks - Free Cloud Generation App

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 12:05 PM PDT

    How exactly do you launch a 99-player game?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 11:36 AM PDT

    Take Tetris 99 for example, where there is only multiplayer, and nothing else.

    Granted its easy for Nintendo because its Nintendo, and it's Tetris, and it's also free. But even then, what if it's not Nintendo nor Tetris? Or in general, any battle-royale game where single player isn't applicable? How do you ensure you always have 99 players, not just to keep the game running but also in particular, AT LAUNCH?

    Edit: Well after I posts this I realize 99 is just a number, it could be any number so feel free to discuss other battle-royale games.

    submitted by /u/normalequation1
    [link] [comments]

    Raising Atreus for Battle in God of War

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 11:02 AM PDT

    New Babylon.js Video Series on the 4.0 Inspector Tool: Part 6

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 10:55 AM PDT

    How to set up alt version of app (Test Server) on Steam??

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 07:59 AM PDT

    I need to test some new things with my team, but my app is already live and I don't want to go live with changes. (This is my first game). I am looking on Steam and I thought I knew how to do this.. I made another branch and depot but am pretty lost tbh. Do I need to make a new package?

    submitted by /u/juicebag300
    [link] [comments]

    Should a moving platform be an actor?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 12:58 PM PDT

    (custom engine on monogame C#)

    The crutch of solo dev is not being able to bounce ideas off others.

    in cleaning up my code i realized that my call to move a platofrm was stuffed in with collision code. I was going to create a section just for moving platforms when i realized i could have them behave like actors. i can't multi inherit so now i am wondering do i just make it an actor or have it be a Tile and turn moving from inheritence to composition.

    If it's a tile then i added special case for moving. If its an actor then i handle special case for collision and other actor attching/walking on. I guess i could move the actor attachment code from a tile property to an actor property.

    I know this has been fully solved before so curious what's the standard way?

    submitted by /u/JonnyRocks
    [link] [comments]

    How Fortnite’s success led to months of intense crunch at Epic Games

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 12:57 PM PDT

    Recommended Programming Books (intermediate to advance)

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 12:50 PM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    Some background might be necessary. I'm a self taught programmer, I'm currently a freelancer on a few projects, and I've released a game on steam, and working on the Xbox one port at the moment. I'm not a beginner, but I am looking for books and techniques to step up my game. Being self taught does have it's downsides. Any recommendations would be helpful.

    submitted by /u/MichaelKaimanaTaylor
    [link] [comments]

    Unity Questions

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 12:45 PM PDT

    I'm having an issue with my mobile game:

    Android game locked at 37 fps: I've already tried disabling and enabling vsync and added Application.targetFrameRate = 60 into my script. None of those work. Even when I set the frame rate limit to literally anything under 37 it still does not work (for example 30 fps). So the command is basically doing nothing on android (it does work when I run it on desktop). Changing quality from very low to ultra does nothing to the fps either.

    Any way to fix this? thanks!

    submitted by /u/DriftingKing
    [link] [comments]

    2 - Would Anyone Be Willing to Give Me Feedback on a Faux Bug Report for Mass Effect?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 12:35 PM PDT

    Hello, I'm writing a faux bug report daily, as I prepare for my new QA tester job starting this Monday (there is a chance that, if I don't do well enough in the first few days, I will not get the job). Today, the report is for the first Mass Effect.

    For those who helped with feedback yesterday, I added 'Expected Results', 'Possible Explanation', 'Affected Version', 'Platform', and 'Notes'.

    Any feedback is greatly appreciated! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AxiNcTW3pEZAaqmmkSS0_tpwrRU-UW4obtrrjuNnIf8/edit?usp=sharing

    submitted by /u/LogicalCreativity
    [link] [comments]

    2d game assets question

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 12:32 PM PDT

    for years I have been using game maker as a hobby and have always stuck with pixel art assets and used software such as aseprite and pyxel edit. I want to try create some cartoon style looking assets but unsure on what software to use. of course I can use Photoshop to design and create my characters but what animation software is best for animating in 2d and for games and also has the option to export them as sprite sheets? Thanks for replys

    submitted by /u/Tirith_Wins
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone has a free alternative to Kanto Audio Editor? I only want to edit midi instruments and disable tracks, other programs are way too overkill

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 12:23 PM PDT

    Help me make this thing into a game

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 12:08 PM PDT

    I work as a game producer, so I understand the importance of of initial game specs, design documents etc.

    A few months ago I decided to start making a game at home without any initial planning, and to simply work on whatever I thought would be fun to implement. (Gamedev for entertainment, not work.)

    Suprise suprise, a few months later I have a bunch of game mechanics, with no idea how to tie it together to become a game. My challenge now is to build a game using the existing mechanics, rather than building the mechanics on top of a GDD. This is what I was hoping you wonderful fellows could help me with.

    Unlike many posts on gamedev communities, I actually need help with game design, instead of coding, art, etc.

    I need your ideas.

    So my crazy idea is to simply list and explain the game mechanics I have added so far, and see if you lot have any cool ideas.

    Unique I think? Player movement:

    Character is restricted to a wheelchair, can either move extremely slowly; or shoot in the opposite direction to jump and move around.

    https://imgur.com/HBOQsWr

    Grapple system:

    Another way of player movement when used in conjunction with the above, grappling and swinging to continue momentum after shooting/jumping.

    https://imgur.com/RQIaMy8

    Stopping time:

    Time can be paused allowing x amount of shots without affecting momentum, and also stopping all other object/enemy movement. Stopping time also has some cool visual effects. Rain goes up.

    https://imgur.com/z5CJzQq

    Gibs & Gore:

    Killing enemies is gorey as hell. Leaving permanent blood smears on the environment. And persistent body parts & giblets.

    https://imgur.com/1ldzZyr

    Elevators:

    To be wheelchair friendly.

    https://imgur.com/EfsuRm2

    Basic lighting system:

    Self explanatory really. Rooms can be darker than others, and lit independently.

    https://imgur.com/CDQz2Os

    Basic platformer AI:

    Enemies can walk up slopes, jump over obstacles, and attack. Currently only two enemies exist.
    https://imgur.com/lhkJKbN

    Enemy detection system:
    Enemies also have a basic detection system where they can remain in idle/wander states unless within a range and having line of sight of a list of object types. For instance, seeing the player, a dead body, etc.

    https://imgur.com/WgnDkIF

    Sacks:
    I don't know, because why not?

    https://imgur.com/ZQ0AZfZ

    The following core questions that I could use your help with:

    • What's the premise?
    • What is the objective? (Win state)
    • Where is the challenge? (Lose state)
    • Where's the motivation? (collecting coins, completing levels, unlocking hats .etc)

    Of course feel free to deviate from this, and feel free to add more mechanics to your ideas, the game is far from finished.

    submitted by /u/stevis93
    [link] [comments]

    QUICK TIPS on Google Indie Games Accelerator Class of 2019 | APPLY NOW!

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 11:57 AM PDT

    Good implementation of audio in Unity?

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 04:10 AM PDT

    Hey everyone, I'm about to add audio to my game, and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on what implementation to go with?

    In the past I haven't handled it very well, ideally looking for something scalable and easy to manage.

    submitted by /u/ewiggy24
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment