• Breaking News

    Sunday, April 14, 2019

    Gamedev Guide: How to Become Miserable in 10 Easy Steps

    Gamedev Guide: How to Become Miserable in 10 Easy Steps


    Gamedev Guide: How to Become Miserable in 10 Easy Steps

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 03:20 AM PDT

    How fast could Burst compiled A* be?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 04:17 AM PDT

    Few models with a vertex displacement shader and Unity Visual Effect Graph particles (See comments for more info)

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 07:15 AM PDT

    Creating A Text-Based Graphics Engine in C++ from Scratch in ReactOS!

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 10:29 AM PDT

    Postmortem - Comparing F2P & Premium Launch Data. Guess which is more profitable...

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 05:39 AM PDT

    procedural level generation using impossible spaces (a.k.a. non euclidean)

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 12:42 AM PDT

    I am creating a VR game that uses no artificial locomotion. To achieve that, I decided to rely on two things: impossible spaces and procedural generation.

    Impossible spaces, in short, are spaces that overlap. Two rooms that occupy the same place, etc. It results in non-euclidean space, but rather having a pure non-euclidean metric, you get patches of euclidean spaces that are connected to each other in such manner that whole space is non-euclidean.

    Procedural generation should be a more familiar concept. The way I use this technique is not only to generate a level but, which is much more important considering it is a VR game, to keep players in their play areas. They may walk endlessly visiting new spaces in the game, but in the real world, they won't leave a rectangular area.

    I wrote a short article about how I generate levels if anyone would like to try using a similar approach. It doesn't have to be a VR game.

    https://void-room.itch.io/tea-for-god/devlog/76304/procedural-level-generation-using-impossible-spaces

    submitted by /u/void_room
    [link] [comments]

    First experiment with hierarchies in Flecs (C99 Entity Component System, see post)

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 10:14 AM PDT

    The Design Philosophy of Famous Game Designers | Sid Meier, Will Wright, Miyamoto and Kojima

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 11:35 AM PDT

    Need Help with a 3D game

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 10:07 AM PDT

    I'm trying to make a simple 3D game using three.js. The game has a car controlled by the player. The player drives along a straight never ending road and tries to avoid the obstacles such as other cars,etc. The part I can't figure out is the neverending road. I don't know how I'd implement the road. It literally just had to be straight and endless. I don't have much experience with three.js, so if someone can explain and maybe provide some code snippets I'd be really grateful.

    Thanks for the help.

    submitted by /u/fluid-Friction
    [link] [comments]

    What is the process of making an engine? (Quake, etc.)

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 08:21 AM PDT

    I've noticed there are two types of game engine, one that was built for the game, quake engine, unreal engine, source/goldsrc. Then there's engines that were just built for the sake of being an engine, unity, godot, gamemaker etc.

    So, the question is, what is the process of making an engine for quake, half life, etc. Do they have an idea for a type of game, then build an engine, then make the game on top of that engine, do they just start making the game, and start generalising certain parts to make it more modular?

    I'll note that I'm not planning on making an engine, just curious.

    submitted by /u/Its_Blazertron
    [link] [comments]

    How many 1MA are in the industry?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 09:01 AM PDT

    Hi, I've always feel inspired by such guys as Pixel (cave story) and ZUN (touhou), it feels like these guys are my heroes and they're like super game devs who can make an entire game by themselves, it feels like if they're just more talented than average game devs, or at least more passionate.

    So, I wanna know more examples of one man armies in the game industry, as in game developers who can code, write, make art and music and pretty much everything by themselves.

    submitted by /u/ca3games
    [link] [comments]

    Humans Call GG! OpenAI Five Bots Beat Top Pros OG in Dota 2

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 10:36 PM PDT

    Thoughts about my game design

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 08:41 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    So I started using Godot engine, a few weeks ago, and I want to make a really simple Android game, which would be my first game ever.

    I got this design for it: https://imgur.com/a/SEeJPNs & https://imgur.com/a/tWMbRiq. It's not polished, just a general ideea. I love pixel art apparently. I just discovered that.

    So my game is very, very simple based on this: "easy to learn, hard to master". You just have to crush things with a rock.

    It's really simple, that's why I thought about adding, a shop & achievements.

    Now the question is, do you like this design? I want it to be like a carnival themed game.

    I also know that if I have to ask this question, I already know the answer, but I want some feedback.

    PS: In the past few years I became very.... superficial, and I tend to give up easily on everything, but after failing so much, I want to give everything I got to make something from start to finish, that's why I care so much about my game.

    submitted by /u/Zerinytus
    [link] [comments]

    What is Serialization - Game Save Data - Unity Tutorial Part 1

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 09:43 PM PDT

    I need help with Unity

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 11:25 AM PDT

    I want to use unity as my primary game engine but I'm just stuck. Anything and everything that i try to do in the engine requires a long and painful process.

    For example, I wanted to start my animation on a random key-frame and couldn't find any info so I decided to try and recreate the animation within a script, and it all came crashing down.

    I needed my script to wait some time because if it didn't the animation would just spaz out and look stupid, and to do that it was overly complicated. Instead of it being oh i don't know, "Wait(n);" I had to create an IEnumerator, which I don't even know what that is and then I had to use "yield return new WaitForSeconds(5);" and even that didn't work! Maybe I'm just stupid but is there some sort of recourse that can teach me the basics, because I think a script pausing for a few frames is one of the most basic things I can do, apart from print();.

    People say that this engine is beginner friendly (and sure the UI is i guess) but the scripting doesn't have learning curve, I would call it a wall rather then a curve.

    Every tutorial is either the basic explaining how to declare an int to what a while loop is or is so complex that I don't understand half the terms these people are using. It's been like this for years now and i cant find any good tutorials that teach me the basics OF THE ENGINE rather than basics of programing which I already know.

    Do you guys know any good learning resources am I just really that stupid and this is just common knowledge

    submitted by /u/Burd_
    [link] [comments]

    Do you write/keep/publish devlogs? Does it help you?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 11:00 AM PDT

    I've recently come across a few YouTube channels with devlogs running years back and it's been so nice to see a game progressing all the way from nothing to being published on Steam with 95%+ positive reviews and beautiful polish. I've started my game about a month ago and I've written a few blog posts about it, but I'm wondering if it's worth somehow keeping track of my progress so I can look back on it and maybe even provide the same inspiration I got when I found this channel (the channel is called thinmatrix btw, and the game is equilinox). Do you keep any logs or write blog posts or release notes? Anything you've found particularly helpful? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/oliviff
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for Game Media Sources

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 10:47 AM PDT

    Hello everyone:

    We are a Spanish PR website focused in games and software, and we are currently working with some sources that provide us information (Koch-media and Terminals.io). The problem is that these source only work with Square Enix, Deep Silver and Indies, and we're looking to expand a little bit our boundaries but we dont know another source. If there's any companies that works like that, let me know, thank you!

    submitted by /u/Oaki94
    [link] [comments]

    Junior game programmer job

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 09:48 AM PDT

    I'll be starting my first job in two weeks as a junior game programmer in a small company. I'm still a student and don't have any real job experience as a programmer. Now the problem I have is that I was told that I won't be programming in the languages that I know (C# and C++), but I'll be learning JavaScript and do programming in JavaScript. I have no experience in JavaScript and it is completely a new language for me. I have a 3 months of probation and to be honest I don't really know what I will be doing during the these months and what should I really expect. Will I be learning JavaScript all the time? Will there be any programming tasks in JavaScript that I have to complete? What do you suggest me to do or how should I prepare myself for these 3 months? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Boozer1188
    [link] [comments]

    I feel like I lost my passion and love for game dev

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 02:39 PM PDT

    Hello fellow devs. I understand this post might be not suitable for this sub as it's not technical, yet you guys are the only ones who can probably offer the best guidance right now. To get to the point, it's been a month now that I'm experiencing a sudden loss of interest for gamedev. It might seem extreme, but I feel like I've lost a friend or going through an actual breakup, as making games has had a central role in my life for the last 6 years, and it's something I lowkey wanted to do since I was a kid.

    I'd like to preface this by saying I'm not a newcomer. While not a professional, I've been doing it as a hobby for those 6 years. I'd daydream about new ideas or my to-do list daily, and I had set a goal of doing it as a job some day - in fact, I'd categorize it as a high priority life goal. I'd say I reached a level of decent competence (I've had prior programming experience and I enjoy 3d modeling a lot) to the point where I could bring most of my prototypes to life, with a little Googling here and there. Of course, I suffer from the usual scoping problem which has left me with very few, simple, finished games but still, I've tried my best to take my project as far as I could before learning my lessons and moving on to something more achievable.

    I started noticing the first 'symptoms' during my last project. It was an FPS horror game in Unity -your usual walking sim with some interaction and an inventory system- based on a short story I penned. I'm a huge fan of those games and watch a lot of streams, so it was an itch I wanted to scratch for a lot of time. I sat down, planned as much as I could, and began work: most of my basic gameplay systems are finished and I've also prototyped some parts of the main level. I worked on it during my free time (we own a bakery, I wake up at 5 AM until 2 PM + tutoring students + studying for Uni) and I'd gladly sacrifice sleep to get stuff done. After a certain point, I started losing interest. The story seemed boring, I had no inspiration on level design and I only stuck with it so I would not abandon the project. I decided to take a break and took up web programming for a change. Thing is, that burning desire has yet to come back. I used to talk about gamedev all the time, and now I'm finding excuses not to think about it.

    Honestly, it's making me more sad than it probably should. The thought of making games was enough to help me pull through the most difficult of days and I'm scared that all this time, my heart was misaligned. I'm starting to second-guess myself; was I in it just for the chance of making some money or the novelty? I'm desperately trying to bring back the enthusiasm but...it just isn't there.

    I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this, or even if you'd share a similar story. Thank you for reading.

    submitted by /u/loxagos_snake
    [link] [comments]

    Soundtrack Sunday #289 - Brilliant Ideas

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 08:14 PM PDT

    Post music and sounds that you've been working on throughout this week (or last (or whenever, really)). Feel free to give as much constructive feedback as you can, and enjoy yourselves!

    Basic Guidelines:

    • Do not link to a page selling music. We are not your target audience.
    • Do not link to a page selling a game you're working on. We are not your target audience.
    • It is highly recommended that you use SoundCloud to host and share your music.

    As a general rule, if someone takes the time to give feedback on something of yours, it's a nice idea to try to reciprocate.

    If you've never posted here before, then don't sweat it. New composers of any skill level are always welcome!


    Previous Soundtrack Sundays

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    MGGA Game Dev Tutorials this week.

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 05:39 AM PDT

    Hey Weekend Game Devs, here's my tutorials for this week.

    https://www.bitchute.com/video/TEu78gj1mNnJ/ - Principles of Animation - Exaggeration

    This tutorial looks at how exaggeration provides more realism and entertainment than strictly following exactly what is done, an important step in creating animations for cartoons and game development.

    https://www.bitchute.com/video/1oEidu9QITHW/ - Exporting in Codea. This tutorial shows you the different ways to export your work out of Codea and bring it into a variety of different platforms, including Xcode and other coding programs.

    https://www.bitchute.com/video/sP3sjK1857MN/ - Animating in Blender In this tutorial, we start animating our planets, both in a day and night cycle, rotating our the sun through the use of the parents, and animating our MAGA ship traveling from Earth to Mars by using a Bézier curve. Thanks for supporting my channel for the past 3 months through this block of lesson.

    submitted by /u/TrollyMcCoxlong
    [link] [comments]

    I've been curious about how others feel about companion NPCs in a game. Would you fill out this Straw Poll to help shed some light on the situation?

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 09:19 AM PDT

    Can I use this Character in my game for Commercial Purpose ? Please Help

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 09:12 AM PDT

    Securing mobile game highscores

    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 09:01 AM PDT

    I'm planning on making an arcade mobile game. What are good practices to secure your high score leaderboard from cheaters that alter their score?

    submitted by /u/azn_introvert
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment