• Breaking News

    Saturday, April 13, 2019

    Fuck Safari, for real. web developers

    Fuck Safari, for real. web developers


    Fuck Safari, for real.

    Posted: 12 Apr 2019 09:06 PM PDT

    I just spent 2 hours diagnosing a bug with Safari 12.1 which makes it struggle with animating clip-path. I'm so sick of this browser. It's the new IE 6, and designers can't see how bad it is because they don't have to debug it and because it looks so pretty.

    </vent>

    submitted by /u/ForEden
    [link] [comments]

    How to detect the technologies that was used to build a site?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 07:22 AM PDT

    Quiz — Well aimed? How well do you know CSS selectors?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 05:40 AM PDT

    How to build and deploy a beautiful personal portfolio site with AWS S3, Route53, and CloudFront

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 12:54 PM PDT

    The unfortunate lesson of partnering with inexperienced people (Attempting to recoup losses) (cross from entrepreneur)

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 01:08 PM PDT

    It always goes the same way, with a great idea, a good plan, and a friend bringing inviting you onboard. (I was invited on CTO role) Things are great, I spend roughly 1000 hours developing out a website for their concept and then, after completion, the "CEO" get discouraged and eventually abandons the onboarding of vendors, along with the team he worked with. Little did I know how inexperience and immature he was.

    So we all live and learn, thankfully this was a very minimal monetary investment, yet lots of time lost. I am proceeding with attempting to liquidate the website along with domain (pretty much the whole concept).

    If anyone has advice or outlook on how best to sell an asset like this I would be greatly appreciative. Its a fully functioning multivendor market place. I will link below if anyone wants to take a look.

    I still think the concept is brilliant and I wish I had the team to make it work.

    Link: https://emptyyourwarehouse.com

    submitted by /u/gittb
    [link] [comments]

    [Showoff Saturday] 5 Tips and Tricks for Firefox DevTools - Page Inspector

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 12:53 PM PDT

    How should I charge my friend for a small business website?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 08:54 AM PDT

    I have a friend that owns and runs his own Business - he is a mechanical engineer and works on large pieces of equipment in his shop. He knows I have some experience creating websites, and would like to pay me to create one for his company.

    His goal is to have a pretty simple website - approximately 3-5 pages. For example maybe just a home page, about us, services offered and a contact page.

    My background consists of several years of a little web development and lots of SEO research, Word Press experience.

    My Monday-Friday job is at a marketing agency that works with much larger companies - this is nothing like that and I have never done my own client work. My friend is looking for something much smaller, I don't want to overcharge him but also don't want to rip myself off either.

    submitted by /u/boozerr
    [link] [comments]

    100 years of Bauhaus: poster made with CSS grid + SVG triangle generator in vanilla JS

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 11:48 AM PDT

    Shift Manager Web app. Any advice?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 02:32 PM PDT

    Shift Manager Web app. Any advice?

    Hey guys,

    Im new to web dev and I am trying to develop a web app that will help my shift manage the people on the floor.

    I have some part figured out but wanted to get some insight particularly on the front end.

    I have included a quick mock up of what the end product is meant to be like.

    Essentially we enter all the staffs details and their start and finish times, and assign them to machines. Then the machine tab shows the finish times and where we will need to cover people.

    We can then also hit the blue button to switch people to other machines and change their breaks (which will be reflected in the chart)

    MAIN QUESTION:

    - What framework will be best at making a dynamically updating chart for the time and staff as below?

    - I'm guessing the back end will be a bunch of objects but how would they all relate?

    I know a bit of Django and React so any advice relevant to those 2 will help.

    https://i.redd.it/xx7scw04o3s21.jpg

    submitted by /u/pantheroxo
    [link] [comments]

    Is there at least one positive thing about cookie notices?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 01:36 PM PDT

    Everyone just clicks them away, it takes time (and money) to implement even the most basic version of it (let alone a way to actually disable cookies and still use the site), look mostly shitty, and it doesn't prevent ANY bad usage since in reality you can still do whatever you want, even if users don't consent. So can someone name anything positive about those cookie notices? Just out of curiosity

    submitted by /u/aTaleForgotten
    [link] [comments]

    Web analytics with Matomo and docker-compose

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 01:16 PM PDT

    Daily Coding Problems Explained Step by Step With Visualizations

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 01:02 PM PDT

    API for easily-read example sentences?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 12:44 PM PDT

    I'm helping write some sentences to go along with a list of words for an elementary school spelling bee. As I was going through the monotony of writing the sentences, it occurred to me that a script to pull sentences from an endpoint somewhere would be much better. However, I've run into the same problem with any APIs that provide example sentences: they are all to high-level for elementary students. I've tried a couple words in Wordnik, Oxford, Words API, and Merriam Webster, and none of them provide complete sentences that a child under the age of 10 would readily understand. Do any of y'all know of a better API for what I'm trying to do?

    submitted by /u/ScreamingTaco45
    [link] [comments]

    A self-hosted replacement to small.chat/tawk.to/etc to message your site's visitors through Slack

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 08:53 AM PDT

    Cache vs Object Storage for static array data

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 12:31 PM PDT

    (approximate numbers)

    I am currently storing 5GB data in a MongoDB collection.

    There are 5k documents (1mb/doc)

    Each document looks like this:

    { id: 'abc', myData: [ [ "The red fox jumped over the brown bear", 0.1 ] ......*1k ] } 

    So 5k documents each storing 1k arrays of length 2.

    The data is immutable and I only query for the entirety of myData, and do a little parsing client side

    It is taking >1s sometimes so I want to make it faster.

    I thought of two options.

    A.

    Use cache (redis): key=id and value=myData

    I have never used redis and I think it will be expensive, but seems to be the fastest option

    B.

    Use object storage (s3): each document would be a .json file with the id as title. I would retrieve the file and parse client side into a JS object.

    Cheap and simple, but slower?

    I don't know if my assumptions are correct, would appreciate advice. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/harshlax94
    [link] [comments]

    Is there anything wrong with using fixed, bottom: 0, to set a footer in css?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 08:35 AM PDT

    I've been told it's wrong and that I should be using vh instead.

    submitted by /u/mcflufferbits
    [link] [comments]

    I Made A Website Where You Can See How Often Another Player Joined The Same Game As You In PUBG.

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 12:18 PM PDT

    PUBG is a game where you play against 99 random other players and I made a website that allows you to see how often another played joined the same game in the past 14 days.

    Website: https://pubgumbra.com/

    You can use ouchie as username if you don't play this game

    I know that the footer isn't great on mobile view

    submitted by /u/chineseouchie
    [link] [comments]

    Entirely rebuilt my portfolio site! Would love some feedback.

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 12:40 AM PDT

    How useful/helpful is the AWS Certified Developer cert?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 05:15 AM PDT

    How do I do this effect with the footer? (Dynamically adjusting position with the bottom menu bar on mobile)

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 11:08 AM PDT

    [showoff saturday] My redesigned(for the third time) personal portfolio/website. Feedback appreciated!

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 11:00 AM PDT

    Script to have all your website images lazy loaded + responsive

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 10:58 AM PDT

    In 2019- Progressive web App Vs Native App; which has a competitive edge? And why?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 04:42 AM PDT

    Where do I find the smallest free stock video for non profit demo purposes?

    Posted: 13 Apr 2019 10:30 AM PDT

    Has to be mp4 has to be very small in filesize

    the videos I found on Pexel has ~90 Mb in size, looking for smaller vids

    submitted by /u/Bulbasaur2015
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment