• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 17, 2019

    Free (yes, seriously free) legal work for indies! Also an AMA with VGA and new hire Noah Downs!

    Free (yes, seriously free) legal work for indies! Also an AMA with VGA and new hire Noah Downs!


    Free (yes, seriously free) legal work for indies! Also an AMA with VGA and new hire Noah Downs!

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 07:27 AM PDT

    First, I am excited to announce our new video game lawyer, Noah Downs (/u/My_LawyerFriend). He will be helping with these AMAs going forward so it's not seventeen years between them as it has been.

    Next up, my firm would like to announce our new "Jump Start Program" for indies. Each month, we will be selecting three developers to help pro bono (free). We will work with each one to complete the legal needs smaller dev teams often cannot afford. While we hope to eventually expand this program and offer it to more and more developers each month, our primary goal at the program's inception is to ensure that we are only taking those we are able to advise and consult with the same level of care and diligence we would provide any other Morrison Rothman client.

    Further, the Jump Start Program is also aimed at promoting diversity in the gaming space. In order to accomplish this, greater weight will be given to studios who exhibit a commitment to diversity either through their work or their studio's leadership.

    More info coming soon on program specifics! In the meantime, please submit the following to Noah@morrisonrothman.com to apply:

    1. Team/Owner history
    2. Game idea (don't worry, as even only potential consults we have privilege and cannot share these)
    3. How far into the development process are you?
    4. What makes you stand out above the rest?

    Now that said, let's get rolling with the AMA!

    DISCLAIMER: Nothing in this post creates an attorney/client relationship. The only advice I can and will give in this post is GENERAL legal guidance. THIS IS ATTORNEY ADVERTISING. Prior results do not guarantee similar future outcomes

    My Twitter Proof: https://twitter.com/Morrison

    submitted by /u/VideoGameAttorney
    [link] [comments]

    Doing Some Procedural Animation With A GUI Library I'm Building For Unity

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 08:11 AM PDT

    Looking for beta testers for our branching narrative game where the world ends in 21 days and EVERY decision matters (3 years in development)

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 08:55 AM PDT

    Devolver: Publishing Weedcraft Inc "It has been a nightmare. The fact that we're still so afraid of a topic like weed instead of the murder simulators you can market any time, anywhere, it's shocking."

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 02:54 PM PDT

    I want to thank Derek Yu for making me finish my first game (even though I've never met him)

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 04:01 PM PDT

    I just finished my first game, after a few years of on-and-off work. I want to tell you a little about it, and thank Derek Yu (creator of the indie game Spelunky), for giving me the inspiration I needed to finish.

    I've had a few game projects over the years, but always seemed to find some excuse to drop each project before finishing it. Like many people, I've had problems with lack of motivation, and it always feels so comfortable to just give up.

    I got 90% done with my last game, a puzzle game, and started to have doubts about whether it was a waste of time, and if anyone would even play it. I put the project aside, and had given it up for dead. It would have remained dead, but I happened to be reading Derek Yu's book about Spelunky. (which is great, by the way)

    Quote from the book

    ...finishing is a skill as much as being able to design, draw, program, or make music...

    I'm obsessed with finishing as a skill. Over the years, I've realized that so many of the good things that have come my way are because I was able to finish what I started. Trigger Happy, my first released game, was small and rudimentary, but it was a significant step forward and gave me the motivation, confidence, and experience to keep releasing. From there, Jon Perry and I released several other small games with Klik & Play, and these led to Eternal Daughter, which led to Aquaria, which led to Spelunky. Gardens and forests. Irrespective of how big the project was, each one I finished gave something back to me, whether it was new fans, a new benchmark for what I could accomplish, or new friends that I could work with and learn from.

    Along the way, of course, are the discards of many aborted projects and failed prototypes, and while my finished games wouldn't exist without these unfinished ones, I also gained less from them in comparison. Mostly, I found them good for flushing out bad ideas and practicing my programming. Some of them also had parts that were interesting and made it into future games that I released. But they never taught me how to finish what I started or gave me the satisfaction that Trigger Happy gave me.

    Eternal Daughter was the first big game that I finished. When Jon Perry and I released it in 2002, it was an early example of an indie "Metroidvania"a nonlinear 2D platformer that took place in a large, interconnected fantasy world. 11 After the game came out, there was the usual grumbling in the Klik community about it being overhyped, followed by promises of "Eternal Daughter killers": games inspired by ED that would eclipse it. And playing the demos, I had to agree that some of them looked amazing. On the merit of their individual parts--graphics, music, and technical prowess--they did outclass Eternal Daughter.

    But those demos never became anything more than demos...

    I read that, and knew I had no excuse to not finish my game. I dusted off the code, threw together a few more levels, and despite a few bumps on the road, I've finally put it on itch.io for free. I've gotten nothing but positive comments from people telling me it's "rad", "really hard", "has really cool puzzles". It's no AAA blockbuster, and it probably won't win any awards, HOLY CRAP I FINALLY FINISHED A PROJECT.

    Do you have a project you should be working on? Go work on it! The world needs your game. Finish it.

    And thanks, Derek Yu.

    Edit: This is the game I made. Check it out if you're interested. https://metamechanical.itch.io/text-mode-adventure

    submitted by /u/metamechanical
    [link] [comments]

    WIP Wednesday #115 - Continue improving everybody!

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 05:28 AM PDT

    What is WIP Wednesday?

    Share your work-in-progress (WIP) prototype, feature, art, model or work-in-progress game here and get early feedback from, and give early feedback to, other game developers.

    RULES

    • Do promote good feedback and interesting posts, and upvote those who posted it! Also, don't forget to thank the people who took some of their time to write some feedback or encouraging words for you, even if you don't agree with what they said.
    • Do state what kind of feedback you want. We realise this may be hard, but please be as specific as possible so we can help each other best.
    • Do leave feedback to at least 2 other posts. It should be common courtesy, but just for the record: If you post your work and want feedback, give feedback to other people as well.
    • Do NOT post your completed work. This is for work-in-progress only, we want to support each other in early phases (It doesn't have to be pretty!).
    • Do NOT try to promote your game to game devs here, we are not your audience. You may include links to your game's website, social media or devblog for those who are interested, but don't push it; this is not for marketing purposes.

    Remember to use #WIPWednesday on social media for additional feedback and exposure!

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.

    All Previous WIP Wednesdays

    submitted by /u/purebotg
    [link] [comments]

    Unreal Engine 4.22 New Feature : C++ Live Coding

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 09:01 AM PDT

    The robot battling strategy game I’ve been making alone for 5 years launches next month... send help!

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 12:11 PM PDT

    Thanks for the support everyone, just released GB Studio 1.0.0 and open sourced the project on GitHub! Get ready for the Game Boy's 30th birthday and make yourself a game of your own! (xpost r/Gameboy)

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 12:12 PM PDT

    I've built a search engine for free, legal, indie/mainstream music (especially Creative Commons, royalty-free content). I'm looking for feedback/beta testers.

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 12:09 PM PDT

    I've built a search that aggregates music from sites all over the web. Anyone can submit and edit listings. And listings are ranked by user votes. Also, you can make advanced search queries combining various parameters (genre, mood, instrument, license, etc.).

    I hope Votable Music will be especially useful to content creators looking for music content in their own productions.

    Check it out. Let me know what you think.

    https://votable.net/music/

    submitted by /u/the_bookmaster
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone remember this studio?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 05:03 AM PDT

    I am trying to find an old game developer studio (early 2000's I THINK). All I could remember is that their logotype was some sort of red or yellow or something feather quill pen or something, and they made a point and click game about doing minigames to become a witch, traveling up a witch spire and stuff.

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/VideoLock
    [link] [comments]

    RIT students develop EMG controlled game/game controller

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 10:37 AM PDT

    Check out a game controller and game development project some students from RIT are working on!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVDdzwRf11w

    submitted by /u/NXTResearch
    [link] [comments]

    10 Tips To Get More Sales On Your Steam Launch

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 08:18 AM PDT

    New Babylon.js Video Series on the 4.0 Inspector Tool: Part 2

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 10:28 AM PDT

    Starting as a Game Producer

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 08:07 AM PDT

    Hey guys! Brief summary of my work history: I am from Argentina, I've been working in the IT industry for almost 5 years (I'm 26), a couple of them as Project Manager. Last year I joined a new company due to the salary the offered to me, but I joined as junior for a network team.

    In the future I will have the possibility of changing roles in the company and I already communicated that I want to move to the PMs team, mainly to be able to continue training me in that role and gain more experience.

    My dream has always been and will be to work in our industry, and as far as I could investigate I could apply to positions like Game Producer. Here in Argentina unfortunately the industry is not fully developed yet, so if at any time I can fulfill my dream, it will be in other country. The bad thing about all this is that the great majority of positions I found in LinkedIn ask for experience in the gaming industry and that is something that is very difficult for me here.

    I found some sites that more or less give an idea about how to get to that position, but I don't know how correct the information is:

    https://www.gameindustrycareerguide.com/how-to-become-a-video-game-producer/

    What advice would you give me so that I could direct my career towards my goal? In addition, any website where I can train to acquire more skills requested in the industry (design perhaps?)?

    Thank you very much!

    submitted by /u/SantiLZ
    [link] [comments]

    Proposing to my GF in a game

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 08:03 AM PDT

    tl;dr: I've decided to build a game to propose, any tips and suggestions would be appreciated

    Hello r/gamedev,

    I've decided that it was time to propose to my girlfriend and have decided to do build a video game to do so as we both love video games.

    I'm a full stack developer who is comfortable with C++, Java, C# and Python, but have never built a game. I am aware of r/gameDevClassifieds and am planning on going there to find someone pretty up the game if needed. I'm planning on using Unity to build this small game (under 20 minutes to complete) that will be played on an Android phone. The game will be completely open source once completed as this is the only purpose for the game.

    The game will be a retro style 8bit game, where the main character needs to save the other character (think super mario but where the princess saves mario), with highlights of our time together, and at the end of the game the saved character proposes to the princess. Cheesy I know.

    But why am I posting this? I've done a fair bit of research and have built up a rather large library of game Dev items thanks to humble bundle, but I still lack any experience in game development. My deadline is mid August which I hope is enough time for a short game, all I need from you is some tips, and any recommendations that you can think of.

    Once started I'll try to post regularly on r/devblogs and stay away from here. If this is not the right place to post this please feel free to take it down.

    Thanks,

    Games4proposals

    submitted by /u/games4proposals
    [link] [comments]

    Indie Game Devlog + Game Architecture Advice - Unity

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 07:32 AM PDT

    Is having to replay a Metroidvania 3X too overwhelming for player?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 09:21 AM PDT

    For the last couple of months i've been in the pre-planning stage of a new game. A Metroidvania with a twist. But my mind has thrown in a monkey wrench. Looking for some input.

    The game itself stays within the style of a Metroidvania, large map, backtracking, upgrades to abilities, soft locks... but the player can choose between 3 RPG classes. Certain hidden areas and discoveries are correlated to each class. And the interactions with the NPC's (friendly, enemies) are also correlated to each class.

    Choose the Hunter, for instance, and the enemies, bosses, environment, change to relate to the abilities of the Hunter. Choose the Priest, the enemies, bosses, environment, changes to relate to the abilities of the Priest.

    In the end, the player must play through with each class in order to be powerful enough to beat the final boss. This connects to the storyline. And there's a twist to the final ending.

    It is a rather deep storyline/game. But here's the hitch and my QUESTION: would it be too overwhelming for the player to have to play through 3 different times, even though the game and storyline will be a little different each time?

    I'm about to start on laying out the map. But the map will have to be edited depending on if there is only 1 choice or 3 choices.

    Thanks for any thoughts and input.

    submitted by /u/J_Winn
    [link] [comments]

    Video Game Layoffs - Days Since Last Mass Layoff

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 12:27 PM PDT

    There is a new website that has begun tracking and categorizing mass layoffs in the video games industry. http://videogamelayoffs.com/ . It also provides some sample assessments of the impacts that layoffs have (economic impacts) as well as resources for those affected by layoffs (or just seeking work). I thought it was worth sharing here.

    submitted by /u/Cereal_No
    [link] [comments]

    What are some softwares I could use for making a game

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 12:21 PM PDT

    What can't you live without ... from the Unity Asset Store?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 12:12 PM PDT

    What are the crucial Unity Assets that you cannot imagine game development without?

    What's your must have? Amplify? ODIN? Photon+PUN?

    If you could only bring 3 Unity Assets to a desert island ... who would you bring?

    submitted by /u/corytrese
    [link] [comments]

    To all who have sold their games, how much did ye make?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 07:27 PM PDT

    So im a teenager who is currently struggling to learn enough c# to get develop games ive conjured up in my mind in unity.

    While i dont intend to make a living off it, id rather not make millions to be honest, and would prefer people just enjoy what ive made, i mean the chances of my games getting anywhere is next to nothing and ive no problem with that. Im just hoping if i start now with 2 years left in school, i may hopefully have some sort of end product i can sell to help fund college.

    I would like to know how much you guys have made/ numbers ye have sold. Im talking about ye who have put their game up on steam for example and sold a small amount of copies, i.e. the little gems in the trash, rather than the "indie hits".

    And also, any advice, or tips? Probably best to nail in the important things while im young :)

    submitted by /u/RottedRabbid
    [link] [comments]

    A week has passed since the launch of my game. Here are the data and findings, need help to improve

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 11:24 AM PDT

    Starting:

    • So far the game had 32 downloads in the Play Store.
    • 3 people bought items in game.
    • It yielded $ 1.50 with advertisements.
    • More than double that only with in-app purchases.
    • This is my second release.
    • This game made 5x more money than my first game and had the same amount of downloads.
    • The game was released only for Android.

    About downloads:

    • Marketing without money is VERY difficult.
    • Investing in a trailer is very important, I missed it a lot.
    • A flashy icon is also the key.
    • As soon as I have a money I intend to invest in Google Ads to try to grow the downloads.
    • Launch only for a platform is not very good, but sometimes it's what you can afford :(

    About the much larger revenue:

    • In both games I used Admob for ads.
    • In the second I checked the number of ads that appeared, and the frequency with which they appeared, thus having ads only every X seconds, I believe that this greatly increased the income per advertisement.
    • In that second game I added the option to remove ads, this gave me a good buck that I can now withdraw and pay something simple to eat and celebrate :)
    • Adding notifications to the game helps a lot in player retention

    About the game (I need help):

    • To improve the game I intend to add more animations to the game, new items and improve progression
    • What do you tell me to improve the game? I need your help

    If you are interested in the game, or would like to try it, you can download it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.DotCompany.SpinningMoney

    I am willing to answer any questions about, and I accept all suggestions :)

    Thanks for the attention <3

    submitted by /u/DotCompany
    [link] [comments]

    Completely new, and confused

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 11:11 AM PDT

    Last night I really got into the idea of game dev, specifically i was inspired after playing games like skyrim etc. Of course I know i want to start small, but i downloaded Unreal Engine and started with their tutorial videos, and I couldn't even come close to following along simply based on terminology. I have zero experience with this, and i was wondering if anyone started in a program like UE at the same lev, and what you did?

    submitted by /u/Bpatt12
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment