• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 10, 2019

    DNS – How a website is found on the internet web developers

    DNS – How a website is found on the internet web developers


    DNS – How a website is found on the internet

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 11:35 PM PDT

    Monotype launches the first redesign in 35 years of the world's most ubiquitous font, Helvetica

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 07:55 PM PDT

    User Authentication & Identity with Angular & ASP.NET Core

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 12:49 PM PDT

    This sub in a nutshell

    Posted: 09 Apr 2019 08:50 PM PDT

    Hey guys I just finished the weather api project on freecodecamp and I'm taking on a client that wants a sleek SPA (not exactly sure what that means LOL). I was wondering if I could do this on Wordpress? If not, tell me step by step how to do this thing that I am greatly under-qualified for.

    submitted by /u/Nodedotsj
    [link] [comments]

    What's a design system and why you need one

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 07:11 AM PDT

    Need help deciding the database structure for this web app

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 02:04 PM PDT

    So to give you a brief overview, I have a webapp that manages the warehouse system for a company. We only have 1 database right now since we aren't too far into development but we want to plan ahead. I know we need at least 2(1 development, 1 production) but I wanted to get people's opinion on a 3rd one(purgatory).

    The issue we face is that we have users who do data entry and its too much to moderate so we were planning on having a purgatory database where they would make any changes they want. Finally when we get trucks in with our shipments, we would cross reference that the actual product with the purgatory database. If it matches, it gets added to the true production database, if not then it stays in purgatory.

    Another solution was creating temporary models and just having a production and development database but I wanted to see the pros and cons to each.

    If you need more information, we are using Django for our database management and MySQL on AWS for our database itself.

    submitted by /u/aanthonyz
    [link] [comments]

    Why Google recommends using JPEG 2000 and JPEG XR and after Google Chrome doesn't support them?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 06:16 AM PDT

    Google recommends "Serve Images in Next-Gen Formats" and specifically mentions WebP, JPEG 2000 and JPEG XR. but then it doesn't provide support for 2 of them (JPEG 2000 and JPEG XR) in it's own browser.

    Can someone please explain me why is this?

    submitted by /u/hablador
    [link] [comments]

    I can’t seem to find any straightforward or low risk ways to migrate a large website from Angular Universal to Next.js (Angular to React). Is that because there isn’t any?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 03:57 PM PDT

    We want to migrate our website but are having a hard time figuring out the best way. The main problem we have is that links inside Angular stay within angular so it's difficult to say let's start with the product pages or the product category pages. We have thought about changing out all router links for hrefs but it would reset our client sessions every time. It would kind of throw off our analytics. We have also thought about building a website in a subdomain like "m." and starting there and then migrate that later. The issue there is we want to make sure we don't take a hit on SEO so it seems counterintuitive to split up traffic.

    Any thoughts questions or comments would be greatly appreciated thank you.

    submitted by /u/XPTranquility
    [link] [comments]

    How do i create a progress bar whos progress refers to this value? If the value is 50, the progress bar shows 50%. Do i need to use JS or is CSS and HTML enough? As beginner friendly as possible please. Im not a web developer, i want this for my wordpress site :)

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 03:37 PM PDT

    Handlebars template injection and RCE in a Shopify app

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 06:35 AM PDT

    Using Google Drive Files inside a WebApp (PHP, Google APIs)

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 11:30 AM PDT

    Hey there.

    I'm currently in the process of evaluating a platform that I'll have to develop and I'm wondering how much of this is possible using already existing libraries and such.

    In short, I need to have users being able to add files to a Google Drive account created for the application (That part I've already figured out using the Google_Service_Drive API for the upload part.). Files will be either a PDF or a Powerpoint Presentation (.ppt/.pptx). (I know that Google Drive uses Google Slides to read Powerpoint Presentation but that'll will come afterwards.)

    I need to be able to display the content uploaded by the users on the same GDrive Account. So, if the user uploaded a .ppt/.pptx (which will be converted to a Slide Presentation), I need to "embed" it on the webpage, same for the PDF (I'll have to iframe the PDF itself as far as I'm aware).

    Are those elements possible using the Google Drive API and the Google Slides API? Or would I need more than those 2 apis in order to fulfill the requirements? Or is this not possible to 'read' the GDrive files outside of GDrive itself?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/SDLarose
    [link] [comments]

    Using "Google Apps for Business" for email services for my website?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 03:03 PM PDT

    Anybody have any experience using Google as their third-party email service for their website?

    Do you recommend it? Or would you recommend another service?

    I have a beginner website, no visitors or anything. Looking for something simple and works. Don't care too much about customization as long as it works.

    submitted by /u/lotyei
    [link] [comments]

    I am struggling with responsivity of websites

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 02:54 PM PDT

    Hello everybody! I am writing this post in order to get advices, references to some useful articles/courses or any kind of help, for that matter.

    I have been learning frontend web development for about 8-9 months, i have gone through few courses and I dare to say that I understand HTML, CSS really good, while focusing mostly on Javascript, trying to get better and learn Angular.

    This post is about CSS. One thing that I am really struggling with, is responsivity. Whenever I want to build some site, I have no problem with any aspect of it, I really like doing it, but when it comes to making it responsible, I get so nervous, almost afraid of it.

    I read plenty of articles, have gone through advanced css course, had some opinions of different people and I still cant comfortably do it. It feels like there are mamy ways to do it, either some frameworks/libraries (Bootstrap or Foundation) or some vanilla CSS ways (flexbox, grid and media queries) and I dont know which one is "better". Is there some rule of thumb which should or should not be used? Or is it just the thing of opinion?

    I would also like to point out some problems I often face when trying to make site responsive.

    1. Creating too many media queries.

    2. Ems, rems, percentages

    I have read many opinions about this, Somebody says each one is good for some cases, I also seem guy who set font site of html in percentages and then uses only rems in his entire document saying that when he changes html's font size, entire site will change according to it.

    1. What is the best "plan" of creating website?

    I always create it for classic PC screen size and then use combination of flexbox and mediaqueries to make it responsive.

    These are all the problems i can remember now. Feel free to give me any advices regarding this problem.

    Thanks in advance for all responses!

    submitted by /u/DJPEPO
    [link] [comments]

    How common are {humans,robots,security}.txt files? (2019)

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 02:47 PM PDT

    Do you use Github via the command line or the desktop app.

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 06:02 AM PDT

    How do you use Github?

    Last year before I got my first job, I used the command line exclusively. When I got my first job they encouraged me to use the desktop app, which I did. I have to say it's very impressive and it's great to see a visual of the code changes you have made to each file. It's also quicker to user imo.

    I still use the command line to initialize projects, but during development, I always use the desktop app.

    submitted by /u/Deviso
    [link] [comments]

    How can I make a simple lobby of users?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 02:40 PM PDT

    So, my web app is built in NEXT. It will enable users to enter a lobby instance made by a host using a generated code. The project uses the Spotify api and right now my group have a lobby page set up which does such things as play songs, holds a queue multiple users can contribute to, and shows which Spotify users are in the lobby in a sidebar — but does not require someone to be signed in to be there. All great. We need to figure out what the next step will be to create many instances of this page at the request of users and associate them with a key for joining.

    We are also hoping to have a public lobby feature, and to be able to list those lobbies based on certain criteria. I am sure we will use a database for this but unfortunately I have no exposure in four years at uni to integrating a database to a website (lol)

    Where should I begin with this problem? I have been looking at socket.io as a potential solution but haven't sat down with it.

    Thanks for the help :)

    submitted by /u/Ouity
    [link] [comments]

    What's your go-to website when buying reliable, good-looking custom WP themes?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 02:04 PM PDT

    Looking to browse and don't really know what's the most reliable place to look for themes. Thanks for any leads.

    submitted by /u/lotyei
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a little advice as a client, 2 questions.

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 09:56 AM PDT

    Hey r/webdev,

    The company I work for operates a few e-commerce websites, all on custom builds. However by 2020, we are hoping to move our flagship site to Magento 2 (it just offers so much marketing flexibility that our current build cannot.)

    My 2 questions are regarding budget and design.

    1) Design is extremely important to the project manager, more so than most e-commerce execs. We want to hire a designer who specializes only in mockups in PSD/AI/etc. We don't need any level of coding at this point, just an excellent design.

    Is this a UI/UX designer? The majority of applicants I'm seeing for this role also have significant coding skills, but that's not really what we're after from this role. Is it that the talented designers in this industry also end up learning the dev aspect?

    Essentially I want to hire someone just to do the graphics and mockups on a design platform, and am not sure how to describe this to applicants. Is it incorrect to assume that the most talented UI designers, won't also be the most talented coders & vice versa? We'd rather have 2 dedicated positions/companies if this is the case.

    2) Question 2 is about Magento Enterprise. For what size company does this become worth it/ necessary? The site we are redesigning currently does around $2,000,000USD/mo in revenue, and experiencing fair growth. Can anyone recommend or caution it?

    Also last point: Originally we had allocated $20,000USD for the full development and migration, however I recently got a proposal saying they could get it done for $3500.

    We can't really trial and error this site so would much rather pay more for quality, so was just wondering if my 20k range was or the devs 3.5k range was off.

    Thanks so much! All this is a bit overwhelming so any guidance is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/sdm888
    [link] [comments]

    Freelance web-dev what are your biggest problems working with a nontechnical client?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 06:09 AM PDT

    Problems I have encountered:

    They don't understand the Tech so the communication with them is hard.

    Poor Business requirement.

    They don't know how to do QA.

    They want to pay less but expect more work.

    submitted by /u/SeeYouInMars
    [link] [comments]

    Web Performance Optimizations

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 12:55 PM PDT

    Why There is No Such Thing as a Decentralized App — Yet

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 12:46 PM PDT

    After a website is created how much SEO work needs to be done monthly (on the back end)?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 12:34 PM PDT

    Here's the situation -

    I own a small business that does marketing (social media, graphic design, content creation etc). One of my clients is a small law firm that is paying a shitty marketing/website agency $3k a month to manage a website that we can't even access, and write two blog posts monthly. They swear they are doing all this other "stuff" to keep the webpage on the front page of search engines.

    I do know about SEO, but I wouldn't say I'm an expert. We're getting ready to move the website in-house because it's ridiculous that we can't even fix a typo on our website right now. The law industry is super competitive as far as search rankings go - relevant Google Ad keywords in my area around $100 a click and other larger firms are throwing hundreds of thousands of dollars at it. It's important that we can rank well organically.

    That being said, I just don't really understand what this agency is doing for $3k a year. They started a scholarship that 90% of our backlinks are related to (it's all universities linking to places that have scholarships). We really want to stop doing that scholarship though and spend the money to focus on doing something local - where our clients actually are. How big of a deal would it be to lose 1500 backlinks that are quality but not relevant to a law firm?

    What else other than writing the blogs could this agency be doing? I think they're taking our money and laughing all the way to the bank. The idea is that we get someone to redo the website and myself or other people at the firm can edit it and post content (or we'll hire out to write blog posts).

    When I ask the ad agency about what they are doing every month, they spout out a list of things, but it just doesn't seem plausible to me. All the backend stuff gets set up when the site is created. What kind of ongoing SEO maintenance would I need to plan for when we move website management in-house?

    Thank you for your advice -

    submitted by /u/mlejoy
    [link] [comments]

    Nanobox Joins the DigitalOcean Family

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 12:57 AM PDT

    Node.js with LAMP Stack

    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 12:05 PM PDT

    Hi everyone! I'm currently developing a web application for my company which allows us to track our project submittals. All of this is currently being developed on a DigitalOcean droplet which has a LAMP stack installed on it. Part of our submittals involves tracking packages to make sure they have been delivered. Rather than manually checking every tracking number, we want to have it where a program/function runs every day which will check all tracking numbers. It's my understanding, that Node can be used to accomplish this using node-cron (or something similar). However, my research is mixed on whether we can have Node running alongside a LAMP stack. We'd need the Node program to be able to access the MySql database to retrieve the tracking numbers, so if it's not possible to install Node with the LAMP stack, could Node run on a new droplet, but still access the database on another droplet?

    Apologies if this is confusing. I don't have much experience with Node.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/MTCyberSec
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment