• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 16, 2019

    CC-0 Fire Effects (Downloads in the comments)

    CC-0 Fire Effects (Downloads in the comments)


    CC-0 Fire Effects (Downloads in the comments)

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 07:18 AM PDT

    Unity 2019.1 Released

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 06:33 AM PDT

    GLFW 3.3 Release

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 07:08 AM PDT

    GLFW v3.3 was tagged and released, ending what was an almost 3 year release drought.

    Some of the major changes include supporting Vulkan, SDL2 style game pad input / bindings, and HI-DPI.

    I think my favorite addition is the SDL2 style input / bindings. This means it supports the SDL2 gamepad database effort allowing for support of a lot of different game pads.

    submitted by /u/xgalaxy
    [link] [comments]

    I just made my first ever sale!

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 03:22 PM PDT

    I know this isn't much compared to what a lot of people on here get up to, but I made my first £5 today and wanted to share my excitement and tell everyone!!

    The 'sale' was actually on a free Itch.Io game I made that someone decided was actually worth paying £5 for, which feels so good.

    I now fully understand what people are talking about when they mention impostor syndrome at times like these.

    Edit: Thank you all so much, I am honestly overwhelmed. I just got into bed, absolutely exhausted, after working until 6am on coursework to see all this. Your feedback, support and suggestions mean so much to me.


    If it's not okay to post here, I don't mind removing the link, since it's completely free I hope it's fine.

    submitted by /u/1818mull
    [link] [comments]

    Godot Engine Desktop/Console Games Showcase | April 2019 (Desktop)

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 09:56 AM PDT

    Here's a good GDC talk for anyone dealing with burnout / lack of motivitation and so on...

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 11:13 PM PDT

    I saw quite a few posts about people getting burnt out or losing their motivation to create games lately.

    I just watched this talk/panel and found it interesting and in some points eye-opening. Hopefully it can help some of those that are going through a tough time at the moment.

    Here's the link:

    https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1025755/Beating-the-Burnout-Finding-Success

    Cheers,

    Riki

    submitted by /u/ThatGuyRiki
    [link] [comments]

    I wrote an article about what it cost to show and announce our new game at PAX East

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 07:56 AM PDT

    Hi r/gamedev!

    I wrote an article about showing and announcing our new game at PAX East on Gamasutra. The article captures everything we did in preparation, how much it cost, and how we feel it went. We learned a lot so I'd figure I'd share it with you folks!

    Showing And Announcing We Are The Caretakers At PAX East - At The Same Time

    Feel free to ask any questions. Hope its helpful to someone in the gamedev community!

    submitted by /u/sbrodie
    [link] [comments]

    Activision-Blizzard tops tax dodging list at effective rate of -51%

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 09:58 AM PDT

    Dev watching their game being streamed, bug fixes event mid stream so stream could continue.

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 08:47 AM PDT

    Our game Privateers was being streamed on Twitch as part of the build up to it's release on the 18th when a bug kicked the boss out of the level. Our developer Sam was watching the stream and he had them share the save file with him, he modified it to where the boss was back on the map, sent it back, and the stream was able to continue.

    We have since fixed the bug that kicked the boss out of the play space.

    submitted by /u/kurtataylor
    [link] [comments]

    How Amnesia: The Dark Descent Tricked Players Into Scaring Themselves | Ars Technica

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 10:41 AM PDT

    Exclusive: What to Expect From Sony's Next-Gen PlayStation

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 05:33 AM PDT

    Game Design: Games with a non-time based mana curve?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 11:36 AM PDT

    Many card games employ a mana curve in order to gradually increase the capabilities/power of the player over the course of a match. This is normally tied to rounds e.g. time (ala hearthstone, etc.) where your max mana increases by 1 each round.

    Are there any card game or card-game-like games out there that use a non-time based method to increase your max mana? I'm struggling to think of any and was hoping someone out there knows of some.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Reticulatas
    [link] [comments]

    Old GDC talk now public - Left 4 Dead's simple AI driven dialog system explained

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 12:25 AM PDT

    This is how we turned our still art from Crystal Companies into a into a "living storybook"

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 08:48 AM PDT

    Procedurally Crafting Manhattan for Marvel's Spider-Man

    Posted: 15 Apr 2019 04:39 PM PDT

    Serious Card Game development - Seeking for constructive criticism

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 09:55 AM PDT

    Hello to everyone! This is my first post here, and as a rather new developer I would like to thank all of you for the constructive feedback and experiences that you provide daily. The discussions that you make around here give me inspiration and dedication to keep going.

    A sentence about me: I'm a 23 years old student doing my master's thesis on serious game development.

    Me and a fellow student decided to make a game about a specific disease. We discussed that it is a good idea for the core gameplay to be a card game.

    The main character will be digging around finding information about the disease, and at the same time he will be collecting cards that will be specific to the information he is learning. These cards will form an "attacking" deck that our character will be using against others, as arguments to raise awareness about the disease.

    Each opponent will have a defending deck and different vulnerabilities and strengths. This means that an attacking card's effectiveness depends on the opponent. If the attacking card is not optimal for the specific opponent, he will have the chance to strike back with a counter-argument (defending card).

    The layout of the card game will be:

    • 3 rounds, each one with a separate theme/category

    • player has to win at least 2 rounds to win the game

    • a round ends if player's/opponent's "argument" points go to zero (lost/won round)

    • each round has turns

    • a turn consists of the player playing an attacking card (attacking argument) and the opponent playing a defending card (defending argument)

    I have already, by writing down my thoughts, realized some weak spots and inconsistencies.

    I am eager to hear your opinions and criticism (the harder the better). Do you like my idea? Should I consider something special while developing a card game? Are there any archetypes that I'm completely violating? Something else?

    Thank you all for your time!!

    submitted by /u/leftkal
    [link] [comments]

    PS5 should include OpenGL, Vulkan and SDL support

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 07:31 AM PDT

    If you use your own game engine or framework like me, porting to new consoles, like the PS4 or PS5, with custom graphic APIs adds a substantial financial burden and overhead. Usually this means hiring a porting house, starting at 5 figures USD.

    But if Sony adds support for OpenGL, Vulkan and the SDL framework to the PS5, this cost is dramatically decreased. And this helps all developers in this situation in one swing, so we don't need to each solve this problem individually. If you agree with any of this, I'd recommend you share/retweet Lars Doucet's tweet on this. Now is a good time to make some noise because the Day 1 software stack isn't yet finalized.

    If you use Unity or Unreal, the engine maker has you covered here already. (Sweet!)

    submitted by /u/RustyMoyher
    [link] [comments]

    Are you able to live off making games? When did you started making games? How much do you earn from it?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 02:00 AM PDT

    How important is player agency for player engagement?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 12:31 PM PDT

    Hello! I'm making a game and I got some feedback on it that there isn't any player agency. I think they said something about how no matter what they do or what upgrades they buy, they still play the same way.

    I'm trying to focus on player engagement right now. By that, I mean how long people play my game. I'm trying to increase that number.

    Even though my game is not of this genre, I always like to consider Idle Clickers. The only thing you really do in these games is click and wait. I can't think of any player agency in those games. Sure, they usually have upgrades and there's some thought in which order you buy them, but they all seem to improve the same thing (how much points you get per second).

    So my question is, how important is player agency for player engagement?

    submitted by /u/AcademyOfFetishes
    [link] [comments]

    I'm about to have an interview for a QA position focused on functionality testing. What should I know?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 12:26 PM PDT

    Topic.

    submitted by /u/Drekks
    [link] [comments]

    What do you need in a game, for it to be a game? And also, would you call The Stanely Parable and 'simulator' applications games?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 12:19 PM PDT

    I've been thinking about what makes a game, a game. Having a hard time trying to understand what makes The Stanely Parable a game.

    submitted by /u/Gregthecarblind
    [link] [comments]

    QA/Game Tester Video Interview. Advice and What to Expect?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 11:54 AM PDT

    I've been fortunate enough to get a video interview with a studio, but I've never had one in previous employment before. I've been told that I have to answer a few questions within a smallish time frame, which is totally fine. But I'm just wondering what sort of questions they will ask, especially since it is a limited time frame and small question pool.

    Has anyone gone through this process for a similar role before? Or anyone had to make/ask these questions to a candidate before?

    I know this is very basic stuff and I've been looking at the job specifications/requirements again, making my own list of possible questions and how to answer them. But this is my first potential gig into the Games Industry, which is a dream come true of mines (just like many of you's have already came true) and I don't want to come unprepared.

    Apologies in advance if this post doesn't belong here and thank you if anyone can give some advice.

    Have an awesome day!

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    EDIT: In case anyone curious on the job requirements

    Responsibilities:

    • Testing games and applications across various platforms, gaining an extensive knowledge of each.
    • Finding, reproducing, and accurately reporting issues in detailed bug reports.
    • Carrying out examination and revision of reported issues.
    • Providing clear and concise critical analysis and feedback, when requested.
    • Participating in a close-knit, friendly atmosphere, sharing ideas, helping others when needed.
    • Learning about and adhering to our internal systems, software and processes.

    Skills:

    • The ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels.
    • The ability to concisely present complex information via bug reports.
    • The ability to multitask and work to deadlines.
    • Excellent attention to detail.
    • Ability to become quickly accustomed to various in-house software systems.
    • Ability to work productively and collaboratively, respecting others' opinions.
    submitted by /u/T-Bone-Willson
    [link] [comments]

    What's your favorite tool(s) for gamedev and why?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 11:47 AM PDT

    By tools I don't mean your programming language, or your engine, but something you use in addition to that.

    My top three would be: Aseprite - a beautifully made pixel art program that is significantly smaller that, say, Photoshop. So I can just slam it on a flash drive and have it anywhere. https://www.aseprite.org

    ScreenToGif - what is a gamedev without their choice of screen recording software to make his gifs (pronounces with a g sound not a j). ScreenToGif supports so many different exporting options and it's very lightweight, even includes automatic upload if you want it. https://www.screentogif.com

    Tiled - while I have my gripes (and I have a near infinite amount of grips) there isn't anything better for tilemap making besides a custom editor for yourself. So this earns it's spot, and I'm sure everyone here knows of it. https://www.mapeditor.org So, /r/gamedev what are your favorite tools?

    submitted by /u/Ktar5
    [link] [comments]

    Merge-type games balancing?

    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 11:35 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm looking for some information on how games such as merge planes/merge town/merge dragons are balanced ? Any articles, spreadsheets or information you could point me to ?

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/metalstuff
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment