• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 24, 2019

    Big N Discussion - April 24, 2019 CS Career Questions

    Big N Discussion - April 24, 2019 CS Career Questions


    Big N Discussion - April 24, 2019

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions about the Big N and questions related to the Big N, such as which one offers the best doggy benefits, or how many companies are in the Big N really? Posts focusing solely on Big N created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    There is a top-level comment for each generally recognized Big N company; please post under the appropriate one. There's also an "Other" option for flexibility's sake, if you want to discuss a company here that you feel is sufficiently Big N-like (e.g. Uber, Airbnb, Dropbox, etc.).

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Sunday and Wednesday at midnight PST. Previous Big N Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - April 24, 2019

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I'm 22, I haven't applied to more than 20 companies in my life, and I have 6 SWE/intern positions under my belt, and I wanted to share some tips

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 10:31 AM PDT

    I read a lot about people applying to 300 jobs and getting like 2 callbacks, but I had a very different experience. I wanted to share some of my tips that I've learned.

    1. I never applied a ton, I had connections. In college I joined a professional fraternity and 4 out of the 6 jobs I got were through people I knew who worked there. You get your resume handed right to the manager instead of through HR. I recommend making friends with people in your class, or finding somebody else with a strong network and free-loading off of theirs (and buy them lunch or something). Furthermore, people you know there can give you invaluable advice on what is going to be on the interview/what the hiring manager is like, etc.
    2. I made friends with the "CS gods" who were role models in my class. Then, I just ask them for their resume, for them to look at mine, for their advice, their compensation and negotiation tactics, etc. It's not like the med field where other people want the competition to fail, I rarely meet any SWE who DOESN'T want to help others get a job.
    3. Even when I cold apply, NEVER apply on the website, there's too many people that do that. Instead, I find a recruiter on Linkedin, I find their WORK EMAIL with this extension (https://connect.clearbit.com/), and I email them DIRECTLY with my resume, my interest, and a blurb showing that I've researched the company.
    4. (only applies to US citizens) This sounds shitty, but if you have an asian sounding name and you ARE a citizen, put that you're a citizen on there. Some recruiters will toss resumes JUST because they're asian and the company can't sponsor, even if you are a citizen. I literally put "US Citizen" next to my phone number, linkedin, and github.
    5. Interviewing is honestly all about confidence. You have to be a salesman. You can't just be good at coding and suck at talking, or vice versa. I don't really study that much the day before an interview (that's for the weeks before), I just go on walks, run, do jumping jacks, get my blood flowing so that I feel the most alive I can be before stepping in to the room.
    6. credit to u/Chewbahka72, but if you don't have experience just apply to smaller companies, instead of FB/Apple/Google/MSFT. There's a reason those companies pay so well, it's cause everybody has tons of experience, it's ok to start at smaller companies where you can get good tech experience without the cool free food benefits and the company jerking you off while you work.

    Let me know if you want me to take a look at your resume or anything!

    EDIT: RESUME TIPS:

    I got some PMs about resumes, I'll take a look at them but here are my tips for resumes:

    1. Don't use Arial, Calibri, Times New Roman. I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but if you want to get a job (esp. in Silicon Valley), make it unique. DO put some interest in design. I'm not saying make the whole thing in LaTeX or get Elon Musk to lick it before applying, but try some different fonts and dear God learn to right justify text on the same line. (https://fonts.google.com/) (https://fontawesome.com/?from=io - for LinkedIn, github, email, phone# icons). I use Open Sans and Raleway
    2. Use PROBLEM, SOLUTION, IMPACT. Indicate the PROBLEM you're trying to solve, then indicate how you SOLVED it (what language, framework, architecture, system, design), and then talk about IMPACT (financial - saved $42069k, operational - less people needed to do this task now, time - saved 20% time on this operation). Here's an example: "Built a batch utility using Java, SQL, Hibernate to automate self-checking of the business's pricing processing system (SOLUTION), allowing the business to catch failed charges due to temporarily failed downstream services (PROBLEM mixed with a little bit of SOLUTION), which in one instance saved the company $2000 in revenue leak"
    3. Split up your skills into LANGUAGES and FRAMEWORKS. Languages: Java, SQL, Python. Frameworks: React, Redux, git, AWS, Docker
    4. Bold text that is important, make text lighter or smaller for text that is not important. IMPORTANT: Company names, Job title, headers. NOT AS IMPORTANT: employment durations, project times, company locations
    5. Just find a good-looking CS resume online or from a friend and copy the formatting. MS Word is honestly enough for the vast majority of cases.

    EDIT 2: Here is my anonymized resume: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15fXupoIsyXC2qBskal6C-Czn9Hutl_8-/view?usp=sharing Not all my experience is on there, I put what I thought were the most valuable ones. I want to highlight that my resume doesn't have the biggest names on there in terms of company names, but I do think it is a strong one due to formatting, design, and wording.

    submitted by /u/chinaboi
    [link] [comments]

    Spent 50 hours on a take-home assignment only to be ghosted.

    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 09:19 PM PDT

    I can't believe this is actually happening. I'm graduating soon and had applied for a full-time job at a startup. Around 10 days after I had applied they sent me a take-home assignment, and gave me 2 weeks to finish it.

    I was taken aback by it's length, but it was quite comprehensive in testing my knowledge and the problems were quite interesting. Moreover, the email said that my answers would be discussed in detail in a "personal interview". So that encouraged me to do it.

    It was also pretty clear that I was one of the first few candidates to have been sent the assignment because there were a bunch of typos in it.

    But I was desperate for a job, and decided to put everything else on hold including college and focus on doing my best. I spent the weekend and a few weekdays to work on it. After one week I sent the answers to half of the questions (something I was asked to do). The recruiter was "very impressed" by the answers and told me she's looking forward to my answers for the rest.

    So, I spend another few days, including the weekend to finish it up and send in the rest of the answers. I was quite pleased with the work I had put in. Even though I had sacrificed my studies for it, I was sure I'll at least get an interview.

    And then..... Silence.

    It's been 2 weeks since then. I have sent a follow-up email but no response. I'm devastated. As it is I'm having a hard time finding a full-time position. That in turn is making my life miserable, I'm having anxiety attacks. My GPA is also suffering because of all this. Can someone advise me on how to get these people to respond? Do these people have no respect for people's time and efforts? Why get someone's hopes high just to fuck them right in the face?

    EDIT: a lot of people are asking me to name the company. While I will write a negative review on Glassdoor, I cannot risk linking my Reddit profile to my real identity.

    submitted by /u/butAblip
    [link] [comments]

    Awful experience with Bank of America recruiter as a potential intern

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 11:44 AM PDT

    The recruiter I had throughout my interview process for an internship was unprofessional and downright disrespectful.

    I completed a video interview, and got the email from her inviting me for a phone interview for the following day in a one hour time slot. Pretty standard stuff. I told her I was available for the time and date on Tuesday. I never heard back so I sent a follow up email Tuesday morning, to which she apologized and said the person I would be meeting with ('the global head of the branch") couldn't make it. No problem, I understand schedules can be tricky. She says that she'll email me in a few hours with a new potential date and time.

    Wednesday rolls around and she asks if I'm available on Friday from 1-2 PM. I have a current internship, so I told her I was unfortunately not available and sent her my availability for this week and next week.

    She then proceeds to call me and says "You know, you need a job. And we have a job. So you need to take the time on Friday". I told her that I respect that the head of the branch has a busy schedule and as do I--which is why I sent my availability to work something out. I then told her that I was no longer interested and hung up.

    I'm in awe of how much she disrespected my time.

    submitted by /u/allegedlyalienated
    [link] [comments]

    How plausible is it for an American to land a job in Europe?

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 07:13 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it.

    I'll be finishing my bachelor's in CS soon here in the US. I have been wanting to move to Europe for a long time, particularly Spain, but I am open to anywhere in Western Europe (I lived there for almost a year and speak Spanish conversationally. I am aware Spain is possibly the worst country in the region for tech jobs...I don't care about the shitty salary, for me it would be worth it for the lifestyle). My question is: can I ever make this move happen, and how? From what I've read, companies absolutely will not sponsor me for a work visa. When I was in Barcelona I met many Americans working in tech. How did they get there? I've know people work in the US, move up in their company, and then transfer to an office abroad, is this the only way to land a job there? It sounds like a long shot to me, how many non Big 4 companies here also have offices in Europe? I also have heard of people working remotely with a US company, but it seems I would have to work at least a decade here to be able to negotiate that kind of move with a company. I have no way of getting citizenship in any country in Europe, no ancestral ties or anything. Should I just give up on this dream?

    submitted by /u/imsotired96
    [link] [comments]

    Over 1000 applications but still no job.

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 11:32 AM PDT

    Hey everyone!

    I come from a non-CS background. I graduated from App Academy (a coding bootcamp) a few months ago. Since then, I have applied to over 1000 positions on LinkedIn, Indeed and AngelList. Despite receiving a handful of interviews and technical challenges, I have not had any success.

    Majority of applications were cold applications online. 1100 applications (lots of companies end up ghosting, which I assume is the norm) — ~20 phone screens ~6 technical challenges ~2 onsites (1 was from a referral).

    Most of my classmates and people from later classes have been hired. What am I doing wrong or not doing enough of?

    I appreciate all advice.

    Thank you.

    edit: I can't post my resume or else the post will be removed. I can private message if you want.

    submitted by /u/reignonthem
    [link] [comments]

    At what point does switching jobs often begin to reflect poorly?

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 07:07 AM PDT

    So a little background about my situation. I graduated in CS about 1 year ago, and entered the job market with almost no idea of what my monetary worth was. I ended up taking a job for the statistical average salary of a junior software engineer in my area. 6 months later, a company offered me a 50% raise and I decided to take it.

    Now, 6 months later, another company is offering me a 50% raise from what I am making now. This effectively means I've doubled my salary in 1 year, and also means I'll be making more than both my parents in my early 20's. But it also means that I've switched jobs twice in the last year. The money is extremely tempting but I'm not sure how dangerous it is for my career to have left 2 jobs in a row at the 6 month mark. What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/Northerner6
    [link] [comments]

    At this job, everything I do is wrong, everything is nitpicked, and I never feel comfortable. Anyone experience this?

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 05:34 AM PDT

    I'm wondering if anyone has experienced something like this before in their career. I've been a software developer for the last 6-7 years, and have been at a handful of different companies throughout this time.

    I started this new job 6 months ago. I have never felt 100% comfortable since day one. Since I started, my team has changed around. My original team lead left the company and in his place they promoted someone who has been their a few years to be team lead.

    I am convinced that this person for some reason does not like me. Everything I do is wrong in their eyes. Every code change I make is nitpicked to death over small trivial issues. I have run into situations where it is difficult for me to complete anything because I am stuck in what I call "code review hell" my work is never approved until the last second because of constant nitpicking. Not major issues, but because it's not the way my team lead would have done it exactly, then it is wrong, even though their way doesn't make the code any better. Either that, or I get reprimanded on small things like not naming a variable exactly the way they wanted.

    My team lead talks to me in a condescending tone, and treats me like I do not know anything. I have informed my manager (boss of both of us) in my 1 on 1's.

    He has talked with her, and I found out that she has been telling him that I don't understand the code, and that I am not doing my job properly. She has told him that I make a lot of mistakes because I don't understand what's going on. I find this very insulting. I do know what is going on, but because I don't code something exactly 100% the way she would have coded it, it is wrong.

    Unfortunately, he is taking her side, and has informed me that the next few months will be bumpy and that I will need to learn to become better.

    All of this has made me dread coming to work. I feel like overall I am an outsider.

    The other day, my team lead had to leave early and told me that another team needed a database update because of something they will be releasing the next day. She gave me the script, and told me that when they email and give the go ahead, to run the script for them.

    I ask her 3 seperate times if I should run the script today when they ask, or set it to run for tomorrow. She tells me today. She leaves and they email and say that while they weren't able to test 100%, the database update should be good to run. I run it, and immediatly get a response asking why I ran it today instead of tomorrow. I said that I was told I was supposed to run it today, but I could tell they weren't pleased.

    The next day I come in and I am lectured like a little kid by my team lead on how I shouldn't be running things in production without proper testing.

    I was just trying to do what the hell I was told. I am absolutely tired of this.

    I have never experienced this level of backlash and perceived under performance before in my career. Everywhere I have worked, everyone was always thrilled with my work and I was always had a good reputation and have been reliable, but here I feel like I'm in some different world.

    Has anyone ever experienced something like this in their career?

    I am heavily considering calling my old boss at my previous job and asking if I could return to my old position.

    Something is telling me that I might not have a good future at this current place.

    submitted by /u/WhereAmI505
    [link] [comments]

    Visa Inc Miami - Innovation Center

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 05:50 PM PDT

    Anyone working as a software engineer at Visa's Innovation Center in Miami, preferably working in LAC? Trying to get more info around the culture, projects, and how it compares to other companies with offices in South FL (Ultimate Software, Citrix, Magic Leap,..). If you have work at Visa as an SWE in another location, feel free to share your experience as well.

    submitted by /u/deadalpha
    [link] [comments]

    Sophomore in University with no internship, what to do next?

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 01:56 PM PDT

    Sophomore girl here. I have applied to 100+ tech internships and have gotten no response for the summer after my sophomore year. I went to countless resume review and mock interviews with career services, I was always on time with the recruiting window for most companies (I started applying as early as I could), I looked at large companies and small companies alike, and I have even applied to a few research positions/summer programs on campus. I've either been ghosted completely, or get rejected once a final round interview is over. I've tried local companies, but all of them find me underqualifed or want someone older. I've tried frosh-soph specific programs and positions on campus, and all of them have rejected or said I'm too qualified. I am stressing out because I do not want next year to be the same shit-show it has been this year, especially when I have applied to many companies as early as possible. Obviously moping won't help, and I can improve on my projects and technical interview skills over the summer like I have already been doing, but I just felt like I put my 110% in something that will never work out for me.

    What should I do this summer to paint myself in a good light for junior year internships?

    submitted by /u/houdinsduiashd
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for insights in Big Data Engineering career

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 11:21 AM PDT

    Im looking for people who work in Big Data to share their experiences about their jobs. What do you like, what dont you like? Any advice for someone startig out in a junior data engineer position? I am transitioning from an application implementation consultant, and have zero experience in the industry aside from pretty good SQL and relational database skills as well as Java, but the company will be training me for 3 months. I will be working with tools like Hadoops, TeraData, Informatica, etc. I believe they use Microsoft C for programming scripts...

    I know the career path is very lucrative and there are lots of opportunities to learn new tech and be challenged which is what drew me to it, but I'm also concerned that it may be boring dealing with tons of data and databases day in and day out...Any insights appreciated.

    submitted by /u/ScarletFire18
    [link] [comments]

    How does passion for your company's sector affect you?

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 07:12 AM PDT

    I've been in the working force for a few years now (~7 years). The three companies I have worked for didn't offer me much in terms of "something I cared about". For example, I have a personal interest in just about any sport.

    I was wondering if it would make my day-to-day more enjoyable because I have a passion for reading about them, studying them more in public, and would have more of an inclination to think about them outside of work.

    So does anyone have experience switching to a company that does something related to your personal interests?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Stoney_Bologana
    [link] [comments]

    How many applications to same company per day/week/month?

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 08:13 PM PDT

    For Big-4/FAANG companies, I often see several if not dozens of positions that I fit the qualifications for posted per week. How many applications is too many? If I'm applying to 1-5 of these positions per week, is it going to come off as annoying?

    Obviously doesn't apply to companies that have a hard limit on the number of applications you can submit to in a given time frame.

    submitted by /u/mimikyut-ie
    [link] [comments]

    Summer courses to improve actual CS skills?

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 08:12 PM PDT

    Hi,

    Since I haven't heard back from any internships I applied to, I was wondering what (free) courses or programs I could follow this summer to improve my pretty bad resume.

    Some background: I'm a sophomore CS/Stats student who wants to pursue a data scientist/analyst role as an internship next year (obviously ideally, I'd settle for virtually anything tbh)

    I've spent the first two years of my college time on math, so my actual CS skills are limited almost exclusively to basic algorithms and data structures in a couple of languages (Java, C, Python, I guess Assembly).

    I figure that I would want to do something with SQL since that's relevant, but I've also never worked with any sort of framework or done any sort of large project of that sort, so I was also considering learning React.

    I'd really appreciate any advice as to what I should be learning and where to learn it comprehensively enough that I can put it on my resume.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/kevinthechickengod
    [link] [comments]

    How To Grow Your Career Without Someone Above You????????

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 08:09 PM PDT

    For context:

    I'm a senior frontend developer, work with two off-shore mid-level frontend developers.

    We have no frontend lead or engineering manager, so I have no direction on how I can advance my career.

    As the only frontend developer in the office, I have a lot of influence on how new features are built.

    Feel like this is a dual edge sword where I get to push how/when features should be delivered, but don't know how to continue to grow my career with 0 oversight and guidance.

    Anyone been through something similar?

    How were you able to grow as a developer and person?

    submitted by /u/NOPmike
    [link] [comments]

    Leaving a job that I haven't even started?

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 10:12 AM PDT

    I recently got a job offer from a company that is quite reasonable. The pay is something I am happy with and the company culture looks quite good. Unfortunately, the tech they are using is really boring - just the usual enterprise stuff. It's what I have *been* doing already for years.

    The complicating factor is that I've been out of work for about a year. So that really doesn't help my chances of getting another job offer. This company seems to really like me and they're giving me a good chance and a good offer.

    What I've been thinking of doing in the interim period prior to starting is to continue to interview with other companies (this is actually the only one I've interviewed with!) and take any other job offer that might come my way, if the tech is more interesting.

    Alternatively, I could see myself working for this company, in a cushy job, for not too long, while interviewing for more interesting positions. Would leaving after like 6 months look really bad on my resume? My past is pretty solid, otherwise - I haven't job hopped too much.

    submitted by /u/shark__waters
    [link] [comments]

    What is the Bioinformatics job market like?

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 01:56 PM PDT

    I'm interested in a career in bioinformatics, But I'd like too learn more about the job market and qualifications it entails. Specifically, What kind of salary would one expect and how competitive it is to get a job in bioinformatics. Also, what kind of education would I need to pursue this career. I already have a bachelors in Biology.

    submitted by /u/WesternSearch
    [link] [comments]

    My small IT company saw 1/3 of its workforce reduced to reach cash neutral. Today I was told I am pivotal to the company and our ownership group will offer me an equity stake in the company. Are they selling or see a future for the company?

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 07:30 PM PDT

    I work for a small IT company in a niche industry as a lead architect with a heavy focus on DevOps/SysOps/SRE - when it comes to our infrastructure, I own it from top to bottom. I evolved naturally into this unique position over the course of my ~10 year career, and of those years, have been with my current company for ~3.

    I came aboard when the company was full steam ahead as a post-startup along with another senior engineer. He and I were the beginnings of our internal development team. The product was developed and maintained by a ~40 man team offshore. Over the course of ~2 years, we eliminated the offshore team and built a strong 12 man development team that has complimented itself incredibly well.

    During this time period, we brought in a new CEO with a strong track record to allow for the company's President and majority owner to shift his executive focus towards being President of our Private Equity's Board. We also brought in a new CFO that completely revamped the sales group and the manner in which they pitch our product. By the end of 2018, we had roughly ~60 people on staff but sales had missed its mark heavily. They had a revolving door of sales representatives and a strategy that simply was not working - the CFO had torn down their department and built it in a method completely unfit for our market.

    Meanwhile in my department by January 2019, the other lead engineer I had joined the company with had since departed due to issues I would best describe as martyrdom - while he was a genius engineer, he did not know how to be political and would circumvent his superiors. He caused trouble, messed with the team dynamics, grew to be paranoid about his mistakes, and found another opportunity. The impact this had on the team was actually beneficial, and morale was generally boosted.

    Fast forward to March and sales had picked up to a consistent pace but was far from the projections that were promised. Cut to a few weeks later (earlier this month) and next thing we know we are having a reduction in force of a third of the company. The ownership group finally got tired of burning through their cash, and in order to make up for the poor sales, the decision was made to make cuts.

    It was rather jarring and some departments were wiped out entirely or absolved into others. Ours saw 3 people relieved, 1 of which needed to be let go anyhow. Layoffs hit morale hard and added a ton to my plate due to responsibilities finding themselves towards me.

    Thankfully I do not overwork myself too much - I typically work 40-50 hours a week with a few weekends here and there, but given my role and weekend maintenance necessities, the weekend work was known from the start and is compensated by a month's worth of PTO (plus holidays).

    Given the typical perils involved with layoffs and general advice to jump ship, I have found myself searching for an opportunity for a change of pace, scenery, and increase in pay - I am underpaid by at least 20% for my skills. I receive a lot of inquiries from recruiters, but I am patient with the opportunities that come my way. I have already had an on-site interview to which I received an offer but declined (the role was poorly described and I would be doing general system/database administration), and several more phone interviews.

    While my company itself is going through this transition with an unclear picture at what our PE group is actually planning to do (biggest one is "they might be selling"), I do enjoy my job. I enjoy the people I work with, including my CTO. The work environment is relaxed with a lot of time off. I am exposed to the latest technologies which continue to allow me to evolve into an engineer I am proud to be.

    But still yet, layoffs shake the tree, have me questioning the direction of the company, plus contributes to the raw factor that the raise I was anticipating is definitely not happening soon.

    However, they threw a curveball at me today - the President of the PE's Board came in today (he comes in once a month or so). It was his first time in since the layoffs, and he ran through his meetings with the executives. After he left, my CTO pulled me aside to tell me that while they are unable to give me a raise until (if) sales kicks in, the ownership group recognizes my importance and they are finalizing an equity stake into the company. I do not know the details just yet, but I was told that I'll be talking to the President sometime next week to go over everything. He said I am one of a few key people in the company that will be receiving this - it's not being opened up to the general company, and is a way to compensate me until sales kicks in due to a heavily revised sales process (the CFO is likely on his way out soon).

    The entire situation has taken me off guard. I am proud that my skill sets are being validated, but there are two sides of me: the optimist thinks that this is also a sign that the company does not plan on selling. The layoffs were honestly due to the burn rate of their cash, needed to get cash neutral, and they are still confident that the company can succeed. The cynic in me thinks there is an ulterior motive behind this - are they just buying my time until they can sell the company? In which case when/if they do, I would receive a portion of that sale for helping them get to the finish line?

    My CTO has been with my President for 20+ years through several different companies that they built and sold, and I think that this may be a similar case I'm finding myself in. They are unsure if the company will succeed, and whether they sell or not will be determined by these next quarters. In either case, it seems like a win-win if the equity stake is worthwhile.

    Best case if the company is sold, I believe it would continue operating at its current capacity (hence the layoffs to get to cash neutral) and I would still have my job as well as my stake in the company. A hopeful case involves the company being dissolved and I receiving a payout of my shares. I would then transition myself to another company in the PE group's portfolio to help it grow. Worst case finds the company dissolved, my shares sold, with no job and only connections. Even the "worst case" has a payout with ample amount of time to find another job while still living comfortably.

    At this point even with potential ulterior motives, I primarily see a net positive in staying. Our company is small but produces a high value product that the much bigger software players in our industry are interested in integrating. I enjoy the technical work that I do, the people I work with, and the environment of our office. The downside is I do not see a raise for more than a year or two - whether it be a raise here or at another company as a new hire.

    If the equity stake proves to be worthwhile, do I stay or is there writing on the wall telling me to leave?

    submitted by /u/WorkingReality
    [link] [comments]

    Greylock techfair alternatives

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 02:46 PM PDT

    Today the greylock techfair applications just came out. I'm interested in attending but I'm interning in nyc this summer. So idk if it's worth it to fly back for this. I'm still gonna apply though.

    In that case, what are some networking events in New York that are similar to greylock? I know there's internapalooza and I'll consider checking it out, but it sounds like a shitshow bc it's way too crowded. I also heard about company open houses. Anyone know where to look for more info about these?

    Also, for the greylock application, does anyone know if you can go back and change it after submitting? I want to apply early, but right now on my resume, the description for my upcoming internship is blank. In a couple weeks or maybe a month, I will know my team and get a better sense of what I'll be doing. At that point, I would like to update my resume and put it on greylock.

    submitted by /u/acwm88
    [link] [comments]

    Double major in Computer Science and Math or Major in Math and Minor in Computer Science

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 06:27 PM PDT

    Hi everyone. I am already going to school for mathematics (with a focus in computer applications) and a minor in computer science. Adding a double major in computer science would be doable, but I would have to take an extra year. Can anyone give me some insight on whether or not a double major would be a smart choice? I've recently been interested in pursuing a masters degree in computer science, so is an undergraduate degree in csci necessary for a masters? Has anyone else gone through an undergraduate degree in math and ended up in an area of computer science for a career?

    submitted by /u/nok024
    [link] [comments]

    Headless company is a sinking ship: should I give notice before moving to another job?

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 06:10 PM PDT

    Highly likely the small company I work at will go under in 2-6 weeks due to our only client recently deciding not to renew their contract.

    CEO and most business development people have left within the last few weeks. Only an investment company remain as leaders and they've been silent throughout.

    I've got a 4 week notice period, which is a negative for getting a contract tech job at short notice.

    I work fully remotely. Is there any reason to give notice? Nobody would be aware of my departure as I haven't heard from any senior people in about 8 months despite getting paid every month.

    submitted by /u/throwawayCSQu
    [link] [comments]

    Network Engineer looking to get into software development

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 05:48 PM PDT

    So I'm graduating in a couple weeks with a CS degree. My curriculum was absolute trash so i feel I have knowledge gaps. I did not land any software engineering internships but I have been interning in IT at a very large for 1 year and 4 months now because it was an are of interest for me. I spent 8 months interning as an EDI Analyst. I was doing boring and repetitive work so I learned Python and some libraries and automated 60% of my job.

    I left that team and ever since I've been a network engineer intern. Here I was responsible for re-configuring over a thousand routers and switches so I automated that with a Python script. Also, I made a Django form to gather user requirements. Additionally, I created another script which concurrently logs data on a few hundred devices for assisting in troubleshooting. I set this up to run automatically with a cronjob in one of our Linux serves in the data center. I had to research and find the most efficient ways to SSH to collect data and make SNMP calls but it worked out nicely. Currently trying to figure out how to implement SOAP requests. This all made me realize my heart belongs in programming.

    Will this experience be helpful in landing a software engineering job? How do I sell myself to potential employers? I've listed my experience on my resume as best as I can but I'm worried people will gloss over my resume because it screams IT. Also, which kinds of positions should I be applying to?

    I can stay on as an intern for a year after graduating making $28/hr in the midwest suburbs so money isn't an issue. Would it be wise to stay on as an intern and refresh myself of data structures and algorithms and build a project I can actually put on my github, or will someone hire me? I'm not sure what to do so I'd appreciate some advice.

    Resume: https://imgur.com/CeHMJXf

    submitted by /u/makemesplooge
    [link] [comments]

    Unpaid Internship

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 11:38 AM PDT

    I asked one of my professors if he knew anyone that was looking for an intern, and he directed me to someone that he knew. He gave me his contact and I reached out to him, and got a reply the next day. That person emailed me back saying that they are running an unpaid internship over the summer, which allows the interns to have access to all their products and tools, and work on a project that ultimately won't be used in their product, but will have the luxury of being mentored by the engineers at the company. They said they'll identify any gaps and put me on an educational program to fill in any gaps of my skills. They mentioned this program is purely for an educational experience, and they are also interested in seeing where this goes. I would have to go through a regular engineering interview to see if I am a good fit. I am planning to interview no matter what, just so that I can get that experience interviewing.

    This is the first time I've ever received an email back from a company. This company is a small startup so it's not anywhere near the big companies. My question is:

    1. Is there any red flags here? I am new to identifying anything important in internships/jobs in software engineering
    2. If given the opportunity, should i take the unpaid internship because a summer internship is better than no internship?
    3. Is there an issue with having the project we're working on 100% for sure not going to be used by the company? How will that effect me talking about my experience in this startup for future interviews?
    4. Since I don't drive, the commute will be about $50 round trip if I Uber. Public transport will take me 4 hours round trip. Is it wrong to ask if they can cover my commute cost?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Milk_Cookies123
    [link] [comments]

    Does it matter what I get my associates degree in?

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 05:28 PM PDT

    The community college that I am in does not have computer science, so I am currently majoring in mathematics. Would it make sense to go to another CC for computer science or would I be just fine finishing up my mathematics associates and going for a CS bachelor?

    submitted by /u/FuniFuji
    [link] [comments]

    bootcamp vs traditional degree

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 11:10 AM PDT

    Hey r/cscareerquestions, I have a question regarding bootcamps vs a traditional cs degree. I'm trying to figure out what would be better suited for my current situation. I am 27 with some college credits and a pretty bad gpa (had some blunder years.) I currently work in and industry with flexible hours so i can still work and go to school, but I am concerned about my age though. I wonder if doing the bootcamp route would be better than a traditional degree to get into working faster because finishing my degree would probably take 3-4 years and maybe hamstrung a bit by my more poor gpa. I feel like I'm probably making more of a deal about it then I should but what do y'all think?

    submitted by /u/mighty_meisch
    [link] [comments]

    I study Computer Science but I want a more versatile job. Is this the right path?

    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 01:14 PM PDT

    Hello, english is not my 1st language so bear with me.

    I am studying Computer Science and I do like to code. But when I think about my future, I would like a more versatile job where I do not only sit and code all day long. A job where I do a bunch of things in the IT field and meet a lot of people. I guess I am just afraid of a future where I'm sitting behind a computer coding 8 hours a day for the rest of my life. I heard the job of a IT project manager is what I'm looking for as they are doing a lot of things during their day and do not only sit and code.

    submitted by /u/MellowSquad
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment