• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 17, 2019

    Big N Discussion - April 17, 2019 CS Career Questions

    Big N Discussion - April 17, 2019 CS Career Questions


    Big N Discussion - April 17, 2019

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 12:06 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions about the Big N and questions related to the Big N, such as which one offers the best doggy benefits, or how many companies are in the Big N really? Posts focusing solely on Big N created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    There is a top-level comment for each generally recognized Big N company; please post under the appropriate one. There's also an "Other" option for flexibility's sake, if you want to discuss a company here that you feel is sufficiently Big N-like (e.g. Uber, Airbnb, Dropbox, etc.).

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Sunday and Wednesday at midnight PST. Previous Big N Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - April 17, 2019

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 12:06 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    What does an experienced software engineer do?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 07:24 AM PDT

    As a fairly junior (< 3 years) software engineer in the field, I'd love to hear from some people that have been in the industry for a while. I'd like to know, from your perspective, what an experienced software engineer does. And, just as important, what does an experienced software engineer not do?

    I've been reading the book Atomic Habits, and it discusses focusing on identifying yourself as what you hope to become rather than focusing on specific outcomes or practices. So, I figure if I start identifying myself as an experienced engineer, maybe I'll start to act more like one. Any thoughts or guidance is much appreciated :)

    submitted by /u/tanbar12
    [link] [comments]

    Take care of your eyes

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 10:38 AM PDT

    Just want to remind everyone to take care of their eyes. Consider it an occupational hazard and something to take seriously before you have problems. Get your eyes checked every year, even when you feel fine. Take breaks every hour that involve stepping away from a computer and changing your focal distance and light exposure.

    I know when you're fine it seems like "yeah whatever I know" but things catch up with you. Take care of yourself. Just because we don't work on a construction site and we mostly have nice working conditions doesn't mean our job doesn't come with health costs. Take care of your eyes.

    submitted by /u/i_dont_like_reddit_6
    [link] [comments]

    Is it just me or are they almost zero jobs that want to mentor and train a new developer?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 10:01 AM PDT

    I'm struggling to find a junior position (2 years manual QA experience and a CS degree from a decent school). It just feels like even the junior positions require you to already be a master at every tech and stack they use.

    Is it really only the Big N companies that put the time in to mentoring juniors?

    I don't know. This post isn't well thought out. Sorry.

    submitted by /u/SaltRecording9
    [link] [comments]

    New Grads and people starting out are obsessed with large companies because they are the only ones calling us back

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 03:04 PM PDT

    A good number of experienced engineers on this platform have not been in the job market for a while and the ones that are find out they are sitting on goldmines and so they don't really understand how unfavorable the market is for people starting out. Most small shops want someone experienced in their stack. They just can't afford to train a new grad. Of course this isn't always so. That's just the trend now.

    I have started applying once more since I'm graduating in two months. I have an internship from some no name startup and ~4 months experience from same startup and the only callbacks I received were from BigN's. I'm in the greater seattle area and there are many places I can apply to and I am doing so.This is just something I have seen and other people have shared same. It's just hard out here if you have minimal experience. The places that are willing to give you a chance are big companies. The prestige and money is nice but damn I need to pay rent and couldn't care less where I get a job.

    submitted by /u/ihatehtml
    [link] [comments]

    Possible careers without internship experience?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 09:21 AM PDT

    Hi everyone

    I'm graduating in about a year without any internships under my belt. I'll have a BS in computer science with a minor in business. Will companies even consider hiring me without any internship experience? Or are there particular fields other than software engineering that I should look into during my search?

    I really don't want to move back in with my parents :(

    submitted by /u/aewhitaker
    [link] [comments]

    Tired, Broken, and Over it

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 06:08 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    As you can tell from the title, I am feeling a lot right now. I work at a small family startup as a full-stack engineer. Not my family, but regardless most of the people here are family members. I have been here almost 11 months and it had progressively gotten worse over time. The commute is about two hours 3 days a week. They were allowing me to work remote 2 days a week but I will get to that soon.

    The job is more money than I have ever made before, but I am not happy. I find myself depressed, burnt out, and overall sick on numerous occasions. When I applied I was told it was just a webapp, then by the time I got in front of the CEO it turned out they have an android and iOS application I have to support as well. I wasn't aware of the pitfalls of this company before joining and truly wouldn't understand them for a couple of weeks.

    The codebase was a complete mess, left by a dev firm they hired. There was no documentation, the app was crashing every 5 minutes, it was slow, and for a company like theirs, that was almost a death sentence. All that to say, when I got there it was shit, and it has gotten a little better throughout the months, however the things they want to do in the time limits are difficult for one person. I have told them this much on numerous occasions.

    Fast forward to today, I have been unhappy for a couple of months, they use my remote days against me, they are constantly piling on pressure daily. I took a couple of days off last week as sick days to get my shit together mentally and this week I am being told because I took sick time, I am expected to make up those days physically in the office. Not to mention I swapped my remote day to come in and assist with a training day when we had very little help and a lot of people to serve.

    This may seem like a small issue but the constant arguing over remote days, constant micromanaging by non-technical staff, and the overall toxicity of the workplace has ruined me. I have a couple of things lined up but nothing solidified and a partner who is more than supportive of my decision and wants nothing more than for me to take care of myself mentally. I am planning on turning my two weeks in, from home, in an email. Stating that I am willing to stay on as a contractor or help train the next developer they bring on but that I am done being their punching bag.

    I am just looking for some advice on if I am blowing this out of proportion or am I ok here, also needed to vent to someone that isn't my wife since I don't want to put all of this on her.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Hrodebert54
    [link] [comments]

    What are the best cities in Europe for Software engineers?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 09:04 AM PDT

    What are the best cities in Europe for Software engineers?

    submitted by /u/ArtificialReddit
    [link] [comments]

    My contract says I have unlimited PTO, my boss wants me to lose pay for a long vacation I'm taking.

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 06:49 PM PDT

    I have a vacation planned for about 3 weeks.

    My boss says she thinks it's too long and that I should do the 3rd week without pay.

    I offered to work extra weekends/during the holiday after it, but I want to get peoples' opinions and see if anyone else has had a similar type of situation.

    I feel like if the policy is unlimited, I shouldn't be docked pay. That's a little more like saying you just don't get any guaranteed PTO.

    submitted by /u/MonkAndCanatella
    [link] [comments]

    How far will LeetCode carry me?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 04:25 PM PDT

    Should I expect to be asked LeetCode style problems for the rest of my career? If not, at what level of seniority do they typically end?

    Do they ask that for as long as I apply for any software engineer position?

    submitted by /u/mjdskladir
    [link] [comments]

    does commute time factor in for you?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 07:33 AM PDT

    I might have to commute from nj to ny for a job next year, I'm wondering if this is a bad idea?

    The commute will probably be anywhere from 1.5-2hrs. I've heard from people that having such a long commute is torture what do you think?

    also I will be working at a big N if that makes any difference

    submitted by /u/fzbzz
    [link] [comments]

    How to work when nobody's reviewing PRs?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 05:41 AM PDT

    Hey!

    I've come in the situation many times that I've been working on a project, and I have made a big PR that's affecting a lot of stuff. However, I've had to wait several days for someone to actually take a look at the PR so I can merge it into master.

    I always feel super blocked in this situation and get super frustrated and don't know what to do. Senior developers, what do you do in this type of situation?

    What I would love to do is to actually assume that these changes will be (more or less) merged into master and continue with parts I want, without pushing more commits to the same PR. How would I go about doing so? I could always create a new branch from the branch I'm already working on, but that just leaves me with the old commits, making it look weird.

    What I'm really asking here is, how can I work isolated and do my work as quickly as possible without having to be blocked by the peer-review process? How can I make supplemental additions without this being pain in the ass later?

    I'd really love some input on this. Cheers.

    submitted by /u/chemkick
    [link] [comments]

    Manager Acting Weird After I Rejected Request

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 06:52 PM PDT

    just for some context: SE at a Fortune 500 in the US

    So long story short

    My manager asked if I was willing to travel to Chennai for a few weeks to spend some time with our India team.

    I politely said I wasn't really interested and he seemed a bit confused/surprised at first but was like "yeah that's fine I'm just asking everyone on the team"

    But now it feels like he might not have taken that well. And he's even made comments around me to the tune of "so and so is willing to go to India... they're a real team player"

    Also ever since then it seems things have gotten a bit awkward between us. Like we used to have pretty great convos before in our 1 on 1 meetings. But now he's just on his phone or looking at his email and I do most of the talking while I'm pretty sure he has no idea or interest in what I'm saying.

    I thought maybe he was just going through some stuff or busy, but after asking around with the other teammates it seems like he's not doing that kind of stuff with them.

    There's other things that've happened as well that I'd rather not go into detail about. But I've definitely noticed some instances where he'll single me out about something for no apparent reason. And just in general there seems to be a weird tension now.

    Not really sure what's going on. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation?

    Going to India was never part of the job description and had he "told" me to go I would've obviously complied. Even if it's just a few weeks I feel like I should have the right to not want to go.

    Instead it seems like something I thought was a trivial matter ended up rubbing him the wrong way.

    Don't think this matters, but he may or may not be from that part of the world too. Maybe my complete disinterest turned him off?

    Really confused here

    submitted by /u/IftarNightlyNews
    [link] [comments]

    People here who started their first job search after 30?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 04:32 PM PDT

    I'm talking about people who graduated after 30 without much prior experience. What was your experience like? What was your starting salary?

    submitted by /u/UniqueAway
    [link] [comments]

    How the hell do some websites like Codeacademy, etc. promise you that after finishing their (basic) developer courses, you’ll be able to get a $60,000+ job? Is that even possible?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 12:07 PM PDT

    I often see websites promising that finishing their courses will land you a programming job within weeks, I'm a high school student who has been programming for almost 4 years and i still feel like a dumbass even though i made tons of good basic (non GUI) software but not up to the point that i land an ACTUAL job. Did that actually happen with anyone? (and btw yes i know Codeacademy is no where near good but i just mentioned it an as example)

    submitted by /u/RedditCitizen_X
    [link] [comments]

    New Grad Junior SDE Seeking Advice

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 03:56 PM PDT

    Hello there. I recently got an offer from a companie in Seattle. My start date is in June. I had neither SDE experience nor intership while I was in school. I worked really hard to get this job, like literally grinding out 500 leetcode questions. So I don't want to lose this job. I want to use this an month and half before on-boarding to learn neccessary skills and tools I would need to make sure that wouldn't happen. Therefore, my question is: what general skills, tools, or technologies would you recommend for a new grad with zero experiences? You can assume I have zero knowledge aside from data structures and algorithms. Any advice or criticism is welcomed. In fact, I love criticisms so please don't hesitate to comment them below. Thank you guys in advance!

    submitted by /u/NoModNoMaster
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone made the jump from ML engineering at a big tech company to a management consultancy position at a MBB?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 07:38 PM PDT

    Is it possible? Can you break down how you got there?

    submitted by /u/SmartSpray
    [link] [comments]

    Since I have no options left. How bad is it to get a retail job now while looking for a programming job?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 06:53 PM PDT

    I did have 1 internship but I need work and cant find any so im resorting to working at retail. How bad will the gap be on my resume. And how do I say "got internship but wasn't good enough"?

    submitted by /u/lastfirst254
    [link] [comments]

    New intern and I’m panicking

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 04:25 PM PDT

    Hey so I got a position as a SWE intern specifically (full stack), so I'm very lost and it takes me 3 hours and longer to fix minor bugs. My experience is pretty much just java, Swift, and some python. I took databases and algorithms so these concepts don't scare me at work but I'm so confused on how everything works together (I'm only on day 3). We're using angular (idk if angular of angular2), spring, and I think node.js. I want to be proactive and learn and understand the web app architecture. I signed up for an online angular class because I know I have to know it, but should I learn node and spring? I just need some guidance and I feel like I'm annoying the senior engineer

    submitted by /u/akill13
    [link] [comments]

    I'm not sure what area of dev I want to go into

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 12:21 PM PDT

    Hi. I was a unity dev for a few years and now I been a full stack dev using django for the last 8 months. Not sure what I want to be doing in the future but I want to focus on something.

    Im not sure what to work towards as I'm interested in so many things. Should I just keep getting better at my job?

    submitted by /u/cats__ate__her__face
    [link] [comments]

    Was told in an email I was being sent an offer. Been two months and no word?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 12:02 PM PDT

    Hi. I applied to a large defense contractor (Lockheed) in Denver and interviewed at the end of February and shortly after (early March) I was then told in an email I was to receive an offer. I checked in again a couple weeks later and confirmed I was still receiving it.

    It's been almost two months from when I heard I was receiving the offer so I reached out last Thursday to no response. I then email again yesterday with still no response. The guy I'm contacting is not HR but would be my future boss. I tried contacting the HR people that I went through and they couldn't help me when I told them I received an offer and wanted to know the status of it.

    What do I do in this situation? I read that one person received his offer ~2 months after the interview however getting no response from my only source of contact is scary.

    submitted by /u/SocialCodeAnxiety
    [link] [comments]

    Do you truly enjoy your day job?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 10:16 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm 30 and I'm having sorta a mid-mid-life crisis. I've always been the type of person who doesn't know what I want to do in my life. I took Psychology courses in University after HS and obtained my AA degree. I utilized that with volunteer work for social work centers and completed probation officer classes to try and branch into that field of criminal justice.

    I'm considering either becoming a cop or a programmer. I've worked as a Customer Service/Sales support, branched into business support (account manager role), and I do lots of Microsoft Excel reports, anayical reporting, etc. I've always been a tech geek, building my first computer at age 13 and I'm very tech savvy. I've been learning Python on the side and I love it. The reason I'm considering a career in law enforcement is because each day will be different and I have the physique for that type of work, and on paper, I'm more suited to that field than programming.

    I'm curious to hear about your day-to-day. I think maybe I enjoy coding because it's a hobby but I'm not sure what it's actually like to do as a job. I worry I will get tired of staring at lines of code 8 hours a day for the next 30 years...but then again I won't get shot. So what's the actual day to day like, do you regret anything? I have the option to continue my school and I was considering doing a CIS or CS degree part-time while working my office job, or I was going to pursue law enforcement.

    Salary for police officer:

    • Entry: $53,144
    • 6 months service: $69,049
    • 12 months service: $74,916
    • 24 months service: $80,786
    • 36 months service: $86,110

    vs

    I make 50k now. I figure by the time I get good enough to be a Jr Dev I'd only start at 40-50k and have to work my way up....

    thanks for any advice

    submitted by /u/anon999x
    [link] [comments]

    I missed most internship deadlines. What's the best way for me to spend my last summer of university in order to land the jobs I want when I graduate?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 07:51 PM PDT

    tl;dr: I'm looking for the most productive way to spend my summer in order to get a great, challenging job (ideally at one of the big companies) when I graduate.

    Hey! So here's a bit of background about me. I'm from Canada - Southwestern Ontario, but not all that close to Toronto. My city is a growing tech hub, but the jobs here aren't quite as interesting as those in more established hubs. I've got a diploma in programming from a local college (I think this is similar to a community college in the US, but a bit better), and I'm finishing an honours degree in CS now at the local university. I'm a few years older than my peers at this point, and the extra wisdom does give me a little bit of an edge on them. I've got about 2 years of industry experience from co-ops and internships, but all in web dev (Ruby on Rails), and I'm getting a bit tired of the web stuff. I don't have much experience with technologies like Node, React, Angular, etc. Honestly, most of them aren't all that interesting to me. Right now, my mentality is to learn them when I need to and to focus on the things that I find more challenging and interesting:

    functional programming,
    language design,
    computer vision (maybe),
    AI and machine learning,
    math,
    security,
    game dev.

    There are more topics that I'd like to explore, but these are the main ones. I especially want to expand my Haskell and Lisp skills, which are pretty shallow right now.

    Up to now, this probably doesn't sound too bad. Here are my challenges, though:

    - My experience in each of these fields is very shallow. I've taken courses in most of them, but they were introductions. I also feel behind in math. I constantly feel like things I want to learn are out of reach because I'm missing math concepts. I've got introductions to calculus, linear algebra, discrete math, automata, and algorithms under my belt, but I still feel like I'm missing too much. I'd love to learn category theory and other high level maths. Even just getting more of the subjects I do have some knowledge of would be great, but it takes a lot of time.

    - My time is pretty limited, and has been for a while. I'm a father now and I don't have all the time in the world to study anymore.

    - I have ADD, which was a recent discovery. I've recently been working on improving my focus and organizational skills, but I still have a long way to go. I know I'm reasonably smart, but some things are slow for me and I do get distracted a lot.

    - I originally thought I had an internship this summer, but it was a miscommunication. I'm out of a job and it's too late to apply to most big companies. It's also more difficult for me to move for a job because of my family.

    - I'm not sure if I would be able to pass most coding interviews at this point. I'm pretty good at problem solving, but translating my solutions into code isn't always easy. I know I'll be able to with practice, but at this instant I don't feel confident in my abilities. Part of this might be impostor syndrome. I'm not sure.

    - Most open internship applications that I've seen are for the fall and next summer, which I don't think I can do (unless I do a Master's after my BSc).

    So I'm feeling pretty stuck. I really feel the pressure to get some high-quality experience under my belt before I graduate. I think it'll be much harder for me to find challenging, interesting jobs after I graduate. I've got some money saved up, so working this summer isn't a must, but I would ideally like to be learning as much as I can AND earning money. I have my undergraduate thesis coming up next year, and I could take this summer to get a head start on it, as well as learn what I want to. Still, I would prefer to have a good job with mentorship. I'm also open to doing an MSc after this year, if it will improve my prospects or give me more time to shoot high.

    If I don't get a job this summer, I have a big list of things I want to do, and I know I can't finish them all. Here's what I can think of at this moment:

    get a head start on my thesis,
    analyze my habits and thoughts to become more productive,
    polish up a game that I created for class this semester that looks promising,
    do fast.ai,
    do a medium to large project in Haskell or a Lisp (CL?, Racket?, Clojure?, Scheme?),
    read SICP and CLRS,
    practise Leetcode,
    do exercism.io,
    start a blog.

    This turned out to be pretty long. Thanks for reading this far if you have! I'm looking for any advice you may have. I'm really looking for mentorship, good companies that are still hiring, opportunities I might not know of, side project advice or ideas, and any other career advice. What should I do?

    submitted by /u/cadadadr
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts On Statistics?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 07:29 PM PDT

    Wanted to ask what are your thoughts on these statistics.pdf?id=164047). Does it make CS a great industry to work in or do you think these numbers are not really correctly representing what the industry is like?

    submitted by /u/hellothereimred
    [link] [comments]

    How to avoid rejection?

    Posted: 17 Apr 2019 07:29 PM PDT

    I'm gonna keep this short and simple, but I've been interviewing for several companies in hopes for just a SWE internship over the summer, and most companies I make it all the way to the final stages of the interview process just to get rejected in the end. It's a long process of feeling hopeful and it's really bumming me out right now. I just want to land an offer for a place I can display my passion and drive to be the hardest worker there is, but it's not looking hopeful. How can I become a better candidate for these positions?

    submitted by /u/ziffyy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment